1. World Cup 2018 Forum now open for business
    Dismiss Notice

Jose: one hundred games and a 62% win rate

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Salus Populi Suprema Lex, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Jan 27, 2018

Salus Populi Suprema Lex Full Member

The highest win rate of any United manager at the same point. Things aren't so bad, yet, listening to some in the media and the support, you could be forgiven for thinking United are falling apart and can never compete with Pep's City. Okay, some of the performances, especially in the big games, have been extremely negative, and that needs to change, but there's a lot to be optimistic about. Jose's signings have definitely introduced more much needed world class quality, and I think we'll see a different approach when he feels we are ready to go to places like The Etihad and Stamford Bridge and take the game to them. I could be wrong, but that's my feeling.

We can kick on and improve on that win ratio in the next couple of seasons. A title challenge in 2018-19 is essential.
  2. Jan 27, 2018

haram Full Member

I fully believe that with a 3 man midfield our attitude will change in the big games. It has been difficult for us with Pogba, Fellaini and Carrick all out at the same time for the big games.

Mourinho is doing great and next year will be even better.
  3. Jan 27, 2018

GeorgieBoy Full Member

Supports:
    Manchester United.
    Just goes to show how big of a club we really are. City walking away with the title at a canter; and everyone is still so focussed on us and how 'awful' we've been. Mourinho won us 2 trophies last year; and this year has improved us again. Absolutely no complaints from me, very happy!
  4. Jan 27, 2018

BaneIsPain New Member

i think a proper replacement for Carrick next summer will be great for matic and pogba

Mourinho did more right than wrong (especially on winning) compared to previous two predecessors
  5. Jan 27, 2018

I'm looking forward to the Spurs game next Wednesday. This is the time of the season we traditionally kick on, and I think we'll see a positive approach. In addition to having trophies and top four to play four, Jose will be thinking ahead to next season. We aren't the finished article, of course, and he will be planning more changes.
  6. Jan 27, 2018

MyOnlySolskjaer Creator of Player Performance threads

He's taking us to the right direction, even just by looking at the players in our squad it's clear to see the improvement since Van Gaal.
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  7. Jan 27, 2018

Ish Lights on for Luke

For sure.
  8. Jan 27, 2018

antohan gets aroused by tagline boobs

While City have been in great form you have to believe the gap is 9 points if we do the business against them. I wouldn't rule the title out in January over that gap.
  9. Jan 27, 2018

Whilst I admire your optimism, IMHO, the title was over by December, and top four is the requirement. A good effort in the Champions League and the F.A. Cup, keeping an eye on next season is what I'm hoping for. Whatever one might say about Mourinho, he's a great organiser, and he'll be thinking about next season now.
  10. Jan 27, 2018

AndyJ1985 Full Member Verified Moaner

He's doing a good job of turning around the mess that the previous two clowns created. Looking at the squad I think we're maybe two good transfer windows away from having a squad capable of challenging for all four trophies. A few more signings matching the calibre of Sanchez and Pogba and we'll be in very good shape.
  11. Jan 27, 2018

ChaddyP Full Member

Supports:
    Banned from Pogba thread
    Best manager we could have ever asked for. He literally just gets it
  12. Jan 27, 2018

Agree with this.
  13. Jan 27, 2018

MaxiPaxi likes to shove his mum's boiled eggs up his rectum

Numbers don't lie. Excellent record. I think once we change our mentality in big games - everybody will be on board!
  14. Jan 27, 2018

Kapardin Full Member

Well, SAF's sample size is larger in the end and his time was different in terms of conditions, so the comparison cannot be made properly. However, this is about par for a United manager and if we had only managed to win those frustrating games we drew last season, his percentage would be even higher (close to 70%) which is even more impressive.

He's the best fit for our club. We have also been what he needed after his disastrous Chelsea season - a more tolerant and accommodating environment while he got his act together again.
  15. Jan 27, 2018

Skills Snitch

You think we're going to try and win at the Etihad, when we parked an A380 at Old Trafford?
  16. Jan 27, 2018

Mciahel Goodman Worst Werewolf Player of All Times Staff

Bailly, Pogba, Matic, Lukaku, Sanchez, Zlatan (mostly last season) have all been top quality buys. Lindelof is getting better game by game, he'll be a different player next season. At various points in time Herrera, Mata, Martial, etc, were players who if they didn't perform, we wouldn't win. Now there are players above the first two in the pecking order, and the third has a lot of competition. Young, Valencia, Jones and Rojo have all improved. Smalling is regaining form.

The squad is in the best shape it's been since 2009. Add a couple of more Pogba/Bailly/Sanchez/Matic type buys and in terms of depth it could be one of the best squads the club has ever had. On top of that, form this season has been title winning (in almost every other season), and last season Jose won two cups.

I think the league and CL are realistic possibilities next season. When he said he'd prefer to buy 22 players, I know what he means now. He's spent two years very slowly shaping the squad he inherited (which was a mess). He's axed the deadwood but in politically smart ways. He handled the Rooney situation perfectly. He's handled the Rashford/Martial situations perfectly. He's handling the Herrera/Mata situations perfectly. He couldn't come in and drop Rooney immediately, or sideline key players instantaneously, because the squad wouldn't play for him. Instead he's had to slowly build and shape his own squad, and after the summer he'll have a first XI which is entirely his (even if it includes players here before him, his in the sense that they've bought into his plans and he rates them, like Young, Valencia, Jones, de Gea, Rashford, Lingard).

The second season Jose thing will take three seasons here, because that's how bad we were in terms of being a Jose team.
  17. Jan 27, 2018

ericking New Member

There seems to be a genuine anti-Mourinho movement out there among the media at the moment. But his stats are off the chart in terms of win %, points, goals scored, goals conceded. I think they have forgotten just how much worse things were under Van Gaal.

I stil wonder how Moyes would have done had he got the same sort of transfer spending as his successors. One thing the media won't report because they rely on agents for most of their content is that Mourinho has the connections to sign any player, regardless of the club they are at.
  18. Jan 27, 2018

Harry190 Full Member

No trophies that really matter though. So far. Which is, all in all, the only metric that lasts for eternity.
  19. Jan 27, 2018

VeevaVee despite the protests, wears Ugg boots

This really. Pep would've been good years ago too but Jose understands use more than anyone as a club, I think.
    Even if we don't always play as the 'United way', which I think is partly because he realises we were lacking quality over the field and that's been a more practical approach. He's almost said as such in the past, mentioning it will take 3 seasons to get the players needed just to get back to where we were when SAF left. Despite the caf resistance, he's done the right thing with players he knows have more to offer but aren't giving it. He's ripped into other managers as well, which is great fun, as we know from Sir Alex.
  20. Jan 27, 2018

VeevaVee despite the protests, wears Ugg boots

After dropping as low as we did with the two previous idiots and the team they collected, we've hardly been in a position to win major trophies inside a few years.
  21. Jan 27, 2018

ChaddyP Full Member

Supports:
    Banned from Pogba thread
    Great Post
  22. Jan 27, 2018

IrishRedDevil Full Member

The Europa League REALLY mattered as United hadn't won it before and also it got us CL football. Don't just discard it.
  23. Jan 27, 2018

RyRy11 Full Member

Doing a good job turning us around although I had hopes for us battling for the title this season. Needs to get the league campaign going next year for him to be considered a big success.
  24. Jan 27, 2018

ericking New Member

The Europa League being the successor to the UEFA Cup will definitely last for eternity, that's a crazy statement.

And that doesn't even take into account the actual impact of ensuring CL qualification, a fact which get lost as time goes by.
  25. Jan 27, 2018

royboy16 Full Member

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
    I'm pretty sure Sky did some stats one year when Fergie was still in charge and he had a win rate of 65% where as JM had a 67% win rate.
  26. Jan 27, 2018

FlawlessThaw most 'know it all' poster

I still maintain only Chelsea had a better season than us overall from the English teams.
  27. Jan 27, 2018

Karlkim SK New Member

62% win rate and consider how many games we drew when we were supposed to win. This also means we hardly lose the games. The team is certainly going to the right direction.
  28. Jan 27, 2018

Di Maria's angel Captain of Moanchester United

I think those are their PL stats.
  29. Jan 27, 2018

royboy16 Full Member

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
    Yeah,your probably right.
  30. Jan 27, 2018

mav_9me Full Member

We are in good form so the tone is optimistic. But everything is fickle.

Having said all that, there are very few who could do better. Definitely the best we have been since SAF retired.
  31. Jan 27, 2018

Kapardin Full Member

Yeah, I really dig the design of the EL Trophy and just wanted us to win it once so badly. Which we did when it mattered. It was big for me, if not for anyone else.
  32. Jan 27, 2018

Leftback99 Full Member

Doing an excellent job. Night and day compared to two years ago this month. We were lucky Chelsea sacked him.
  33. Jan 27, 2018

Rado_N Yaaas Broncos!

I'll take "signs our fanbase is spoilt" for $200.
  34. Jan 27, 2018

Sandikan aka sex on the beach

I really despise this sort of talk.

There's 3 domestic cups, and a choice of 2 European ones.
    Any cup is well worth winning.
  35. Jan 27, 2018

Sandikan aka sex on the beach

"very good shape" I think would be slightly underselling that!
    If by a few you mean at least 3, then with De Gea, Sanchez Pogba plus what we already have, and then 3 more worldies, we'd be as good as anyone!
  36. Jan 27, 2018

Coops73 Full Member

For me he’s a great manager, taking us in the right direction, getting the right players in, creating a them and us mentality again.

Right now there is no one better for us, not even Pep, Mourinho will go to war with anyone and I’m pretty sure he could bring us the league and champions league while he’s here, my only gripe is we need more Cantonaesque metaphors, oranges are not the only fruit Jose.
  37. Jan 27, 2018

Hansa Full Member

Yeah, with 14 games to go, we've already matched our tally of league goals from that season. And we're no longer a bunch of softies.
  38. Jan 27, 2018

Hammerfell Full Member

The arrogance in this post.
  39. Jan 27, 2018

Most likely we drop points than they do, but playing on all fronts can have a relevant impact. The fact they got feckin' Basle doesn't help, mind.
  40. Jan 27, 2018

You can win that way, you know? We are stronger now, and hopefully they won't get two Lukaku assists.