View full 2018-19 profile

5.4 Average rating
28 Appearances
5 Goals
3 Assists
2 Yellow cards
  1. Feb 18, 2019

Alemar Full Member

Finally a useful performance from Mata, it was a while. Can't say he was very good, but he was definitely good in this central role, very significant performance improvment on Juan's behalf.
  2. Feb 18, 2019

Cabin Clown New Member

Mata had an excellent game. He simply cannot start out on the outside anymore. I'd be inclined to keep him as a squad player.
  3. Feb 18, 2019

PlayerOne Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Looked a different player to the one we have seen most of the season. Was always there available for a pass, moved the ball quickly and pressed so well. He even looked much quicker, weirdly enough.
  4. Feb 18, 2019

The United Full Member

His energy and pressing in the middle was pretty important for us. I think that should be his position if we want to play him in some games. He is neat and always has a good pass on it. Combining those with a very good first touch, he is pretty suit for us in that role in some games. Right wing is just not his position.
  5. Feb 18, 2019

MikeKing Full Member

Supports:
    Bournemouth
    I think it was him just being assertive and also confident in his role. When he is assertive he is usually amazing because his technique is excellent. He is not as good as Silva at playmaking in all phases of play, but when he is assertive in the middle like that, that is the Mata we knew could compare himself to Silva.

It looks like the coaching team is doing a magnificent job with recognising our players skills and building a tactic around those skills. Like this performance from Mata, he has been told what he is good at, what his role is in the setup and to just focus on being assertive and doing his job. Only explanation coming from a super poor performance like he had against PSG. Coaching team is helping our players improve. It feels amazing to have that.
  6. Feb 18, 2019

Negan New Member

We need to persist with this diamond. Rashford and Martial up top. Mata behind. It’s perfect.
  7. Feb 18, 2019

redDNA New Member

It's a shame he has been played out of position for more than five years. He's clearly not a winger, his best position is the number 10.

He played well today and did a job on Jorginho, he's going to be key for our tactical flexibility, we can start him if we are playing Diamond and sub him for a winger and switch to 433,or a defender/midfielder if we are winning .

If we play him at number 10.He could also help us retain and recycle the ball better which we struggle to do, or be the alternative creative player,if Poona is man-marked, because most teams may resort to man-marking Pogba.
  8. Feb 18, 2019

dogwithabone Full Member

He was instrumental in our first goal. Received it with back to goal, turned his marker, got it back and laid it off for the cross in.
  9. Feb 18, 2019

SAFMUTD Full Member

I still don’t want to renew him but if he is going to stay we better start playing him as tonight. He had a good game, and he is completely lost in the right wing.
  10. Feb 18, 2019

haram Full Member

I always say him on the right doesn’t work unless he has a number 10 to link with. He still has something to offer us.
  11. Feb 18, 2019

SqueakyWeasel Full Member

If people can't see that his off the ball movement creates space (like for the first goal) then … I wonder what they think they're watching … maybe it's Howson on FTD with his Ole's "Simply Not Good Enough!" (until he is) click-bait rubbish!
  12. Feb 18, 2019

PlayerOne Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Well put, Ole and the coaching team seem to know how to get the best out of players, while most players at least. The system we use seems to bring out the best out of them too.
  13. Feb 18, 2019

stevoc Full Member

Thats the only position he should ever play, much, much better centally.
  14. Feb 18, 2019

bosnian_red Worst scout to ever exist

His best game in ages , because he played as a 10. Hes not worth playing out wide, but still quality through the middle.
  15. Feb 18, 2019

Ekeke Full Member

I thought he had a good first 15 mins where he looked one of our sharpest players then faded out of the game until our first goal. I think theres some hyperbole about his involvement in that move, he did the basics of a player who plays in the hole. Its just Jorginho is weak defensively so Chelsea's midfield struggled to stop him doing the basics.

I give him 6.75/10 as he was on the fringes of the game and wasnt involved enough overall
  16. Feb 18, 2019

RedStarUnited Full Member

My biggest issue with him is he never attempts harder passes. For a creative player that is criminal.
  17. Feb 19, 2019

hocane New Member

He's like a totally different player when he plays centrally.

Thought he played very well against Chelsea.
  18. Feb 19, 2019

Sterling Archer Full Member

I can only hope that amidst the joy from today's match you also took away the possibility that Mata might in fact be a decent option to have in the squad.
  19. Feb 19, 2019

mewnew11 New Member

Absolutely not. Again it was an ok performance by Mata but nothing special. He can't press . He doesn't have the dribbling skills to beat a player, he can't make quick runs and he always passes back or side ways. We need an upgrade and the team will improve massively.

When people talk about bench options we need someone who can come and turn the game like chicharito , nani etc not Mata lingard
  20. Feb 19, 2019

Rifer Full Member

Wow, seems like a different player slightly at the #10 than RM/RW, but we know that already.

:drool:Ole, can we just use my fav formation the diamond from now on, it literally fits most of our players the best.
  21. Feb 19, 2019

Gasolin Full Member

It can get countered too so we need to balance that. Mata did well, it’s more than ok, it was pretty impressive to go find the play in the space as it was for the first goal. I hope Mata play this way without Pogba and we go for it against psg.
  22. Feb 19, 2019

Fracture90 Full Member

Better from him since he played in his more natural position but I still think we should part ways come summer.
  23. Feb 19, 2019

Art Art the artist

Had a very good game. Good to see.
  24. Feb 19, 2019

lysglimt Full Member

He was - did anyone notice Jorginho after the first 20 minutes ?
  25. Feb 19, 2019

BurtSpangle New Member

Still one of the best players in the squad, woefully misused. He doesn't control games like David Silva but in a good team he's a 15 goal a (PL) season player in a central role. Always in good positions arriving late on the edge of the box, rarely gets found.
  26. Feb 19, 2019

Zlatattack Full Member

Superb performance today in his prefered position. If we keep him we should never play him anywhere other than as a 10.
  27. Feb 19, 2019

Jeffthered Full Member

Sorry, I simply do not see this. Mata had an average game last night. I know we are all buzzing etc... but let's keep things in perspective. He did ok, for Mata... but I didn't see anything that would make me want to keep him. What for? he doesn't change games? or win games? No shots? No assists? His passing is tidy.. but so it flaming well should be? He can't run, go past players, never shoots from open play, which I find simply odd.. rarely plays a through ball... doesn't tackle, head... no fire in his belly, doesn't lead.

He had better game than he usually does last night, I give him that.. but if that is what Manchester United expect from an attacking midfielder playing off a front two, then we will have to agree to disagree about his role at the club. A great, great guy and all that... but look around the Prem, Europe.. there are players we need who can really elevate that role. You seriously telling me this is the best we can do?

We are not a flaming charity... and he has been at the club a long time now.
  28. Feb 19, 2019

Sylar Full Member

Never ever play him on the right again, especially against top teams.
  29. Feb 19, 2019

Maccataq Full Member

He made a key contribution to the first goal but I guess you didn't see that either. I thought he played well, he was tenacious and did a good job on Jorghino.
  30. Feb 19, 2019

Sterling Archer Full Member

We just have to agree to disagree here, because we're seeing different things in the same game. I thought having been moved central he was much more effective and had a great game in our first cup win there in 20 years.
  31. Feb 19, 2019

Annihilate Now! ...or later, I'm not fussy Scout

These are all things he was doing lots of yesterday though? He was running all over the place, was getting stuck in, played the right balls (including one for the goal) and finished with like a 90% pass accuracy or something (was the highest in our team whatever it was) and was using his quick feet to evade tackles - he wasn't losing the ball much at all yesterday.

I get that you might want him to take more shots (though Rashford only had one shot from open play yesterday, as did Pogba and Lukaku) or... head the ball more(?) but really, he did a great job stopping the supply to Jorginho, which meant Chelsea had to bypass their midfield and go straight to Hazard who we could then double up on and (mostly) keep quiet. Tactically you couldn't ask for more from him (and Ole said as much) and on top of that he had a good game on top of his contribution for the goal.

At the very least, I really don't see how you could watch Mata yesterday and think a) he wasn't running and b) he wasn't fired up for it..
  32. Feb 19, 2019

Bola Banned

That's my opinion too. He has far less space to cover centrally, can easily get into the pockets and has a wider range of targets to pass to.

His beat position as it makes the most of his strengths and does not expose weaknesses
  33. Feb 19, 2019

Valencia Shin Crosses Full Member

Not sure he's cut out for how Ole wants to play, but no denying he can still do well in a certain role playing in the hole. A player that is more useful when dominating possession in the opponents half as opposed to attacking quickly end to end.
  34. Feb 20, 2019

Tosicsleftpeg Full Member

His play for the first goal was outstanding, recieving it under pressure playing it wide then getting it again under pressure squirming away from a challenge and playing down the flank, great stuff.
  35. Threadmark: Man Utd 0:0 Liverpool
    Feb 24, 2019

Devil may care Full Member

This was the freakish injury of the bunch, hasn't played a lot so doesn't have the fatigue build up of Ander, and doesn't play the kind of style where you see him doing a muscle, so unlucky. Did he get hurt in the center circle clash where instead of releasing it quickly to Lukaku he dwelled on it and got clipped?
  36. Feb 24, 2019

Bwuk Full Member

Not sure what happened but did well to get back with Salah considering he was hurt.
  37. Feb 24, 2019

sullydnl Ross Kemp's caf ID

It is fairly rare for Mata to be injured isn't it?

Thought he did well for the little while he was on the pitch. That injured one-on-one defending while filling in at LB was typical of the attitude of our players today.
  38. Feb 24, 2019

Amar__ Not so Full Member

Supports:
    MK Dons
    Shame about the injury, and I am generally one of his biggest fans, but he shouldn't really start games for us anymore. He had couple of very negative moves in those 20-30 minutes that he played, I was actually annoyed for few moves he did, especially that counter attack when he stopped with the ball and tried to turn to our half when he had Pogba on the left running in space in very good position, it was brainless and coward decision.
  39. Feb 24, 2019

Djemba-Djemba Full Member

Him tackling Salah whilst barely able to move was a highlight of today
  40. Feb 25, 2019

Sylar Full Member

Was absolutely fantastic. The way he got back and positioned himself to ensure he wasnt beaten. Smart player and shame he went off when he did.