Juan Mata | Official: Signs two-year contract with option of a third

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by kouroux, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Apr 11, 2019

FerociousCorgis New Member

I mean valencia and darmian have rarely even played this year. Rojo has played his usual 5 games or whatever. Herrera wouldve been nice on a 1 more year deal, but is only one who really played decent minutes that is prob leaving this summer. I guess mata should as well, but we needed to bring in an actual RW anyways. Doubt sanchez gets moved with his stupid wages anyways.

The funny thing is if you took that whole list, who has been any good this season? Herrera for a little chunk? Jones for a game or two? What is the purpose of keeping trash just to have it? Bring in 3-4 players, and promote some of the youth and literally all but herrera could be moved on from on that list without missing a single beat.
  2. Apr 11, 2019

SATA Full Member

He will be good when he plays at number 10, not shunted out to the right wing. The club is using him very wrong, or simply we do not play in a formation/set up that suits him
  3. Apr 11, 2019

amolbhatia50k Sneaky bum time

We can let a squad player go. You're getting unecesarily bent out of shape. We can let go of 10 players but we can get rid of 3-5.
  4. Apr 11, 2019

VeevaVee despite the protests, wears Ugg boots Scout

Happy if he leaves. Love the guy but he barely offers more than a body on the pitch most of the time, or rather, a body on the bench.
    I'd be happy enough if he stayed too, but it feels like all too often a player staying is seen as reason not to bother improving an area.
  5. Apr 11, 2019

Fortitude TV/Monitor Expert Scout

I definitely wouldn't want him renewed. Exactly the type of player we should be getting rid of. The renewals seen are a worry for the summer as a whole.
  6. Apr 11, 2019

Annihilate Now! ...or later, I'm not fussy Scout

We will be letting 5 or so go hopefully.

I'm fine to let Mata go if say Herrera sticks around, but the idea its some crazy decision by the club or that it's a joke is a bit silly.
  7. Apr 11, 2019

Ducklegs Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

You know what Mr Mata Snr, if your boy pulled his finger out and put a shift in every now and then, he would already be playing for a champions league team.

There are youth team players and journeymen from across europe who can give what Mata offers us for a third of the wages.
  8. Apr 11, 2019

Smores Full Member

Hopefully bollocks to drum up interest and competition. He doesn't fit our team and never did. Lovely bloke though not too many of those in the team
  9. Apr 11, 2019

mattunited1978 Full Member

Hopefully his dads just making noise to get better offers from elsewhere, cant see why we'd renew, but we renewed Young so anythings possible.
  10. Apr 11, 2019

flappyjay Full Member

If indeed we are getting a right winger someone between him and Sanchez are gonna have to leave and looks like it would be easier to get him off the books than sanchez.
  11. Apr 11, 2019

Annihilate Now! ...or later, I'm not fussy Scout

yeah I agree, and if we are keeping Sanchez we need to let Mata go.
  12. Apr 11, 2019

MadMike Full Member

Because it includes those loaned out. TFS, Joel and Axel.
    https://www.manutd.com/en/players-and-staff/first-team

If only half of those 4 new signings worked out we'd still be better off than 6 players that never play and can't be relied upon.

You could buy Alderweireld, and re-integrate Tuanzebe to replace Rojo and Bailly. A new RB to replace Valencia and Darmian, keep TFS just for depth. A MF to replace Herrera. And a new RW to replace Mata and Sanchez... and really no depth would be missing. You'd be up to 22 outfield players before we even dip into the youngsters.

Easy.
  13. Apr 11, 2019

Fortitude TV/Monitor Expert Scout

If, by some miracle, both are off the books, it would be £450k a week in wages freed up for other players to come in on a 1:1 basis or even a few for a couple.

Both of them are dire in terms of return on their wage, and they are hindrances in us progressing as a team as fresh, vibrant talent should be getting their playing time.

We've got a hell of a lot of work to do to fix this squad, cutting players like Mata should be a point of order as he's a costly sub who has little impact when he does actually play.
  14. Apr 11, 2019

deadrevelz New Member

Apparently the club want him to be an ambassador when he retires. Maybe they are worried if they don't give him a contract he will take his ambassadorial niceness elsewhere.
  15. Apr 11, 2019

FerociousCorgis New Member

exactly. People throw out oh we cant replace 6 players in one window...but how many of those are we actually playing and relying on? How many have been any good this year? like 1-2 max. Literally all but herrera could be replaced and provide better output easily imo. Buying 3-4 players should be pretty easy, and then integrate tuanz and greenwood to add in there and pretty easy transition.
  16. Apr 11, 2019

AndyJ1985 New Member

Oh for feck sake. Stop this madness
  17. Apr 11, 2019

Charles Miller New Member

I'll prepare my son to play for United in the future. Most generous club ever.
  18. Apr 11, 2019

ErranMorad New Member

So just to be clear, we have offered Mata & Herrera new deals and Young and Jones have already signed. Are we even looking to rebuild? Seems like the plan is to be in the periphery of a top 4 spot. The actions aren't of a management intending to make us title challengers.
  19. Apr 11, 2019

Ace of Spades Full Member

Why is this news ?? We know that there is an offer to renew, but Mata is not signing. That is the way things have been for a while now, nothing has changed.
  20. Apr 11, 2019

DomesticTadpole Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

It appears we offered Herrera a contract, but too late after leaving him hanging for months, so he thought we didn't want him and took another offer, fair play to him. Young and Jones we wouldn't be able to give away, so they would sign anything.
  21. Apr 11, 2019

pocco loco

Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
    I'm guessing that we're getting less sure about some deals for this summer. If Mata stays then I'd say a RW is off the table. Maybe we'll wait a year or two of Sancho.
  22. Apr 11, 2019

redshaw Full Member

Maybe stats will say otherwise but this year seems to be least impactul he's had outside of a freekick. Perhaps he's also good in the dressing room for moral and maybe they have De Gea in mind if he stays too?
  23. Apr 11, 2019

Adcuth Full Member

We shouldn't be offering a renewal unless at his stage of career he's like pirlo. I love Mata, but he's not gonna help us move forward. Let him leave and replace that right side with a proper proven talent. We have a back up in Lingard, even though he'll never be a worldie
  24. Apr 11, 2019

BrianMcClair'sBarnet Full Member

Are we re-signing players for their ability and influence on the pitch or just for their dressing room personality ?
  25. Apr 11, 2019

Zlatattack Full Member

Look what he did at City.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016–17_Manchester_City_F.C._season#Transfers_out 4 first team players out (8 in)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017–18_Manchester_City_F.C._season#Transfers_out 12 first team players out (6 in, including 4 defenders and a GK)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018–19_Manchester_City_F.C._season#Transfers_out 7 first team players out (2 in)

All that upheaval - did him no harm.
  26. Apr 11, 2019

Saffron New Member

Thank you, I forgot to mention what he did at City. And just look at Klopp’s first eleven only a few years ago:

[​IMG]

Absolutely unrecognizable. And he had a worse starting point than us.

The two best managers in the world are happy to do exactly what we are afraid of doing. Probably a big reason why they are the best.
  27. Apr 11, 2019

MoskvaRed Full Member

I know he’s a nice guy and seems more intelligent than the average footballer but it seems inappropriate appointing as ambassador someone who’s best footballing days were spent with Chelsea. He hasn’t really left much imprint at United.
  28. Apr 11, 2019

LoneStar Full Member

Let him go. He's barely starting these days and his wages don't justify those rare starts or his performances.

Regardless of how good a person he is outside football, we need to start being ruthless and stop giving contract extensions to nice and 'loyal' players.

Even if we are letting Herrera and Sanchez and a few more go, we should still not renew him. He can easily be replaced by Periera and other academy players.
  29. Apr 11, 2019

Roboc7 Full Member

It won’t happen but this is exactly what we should be doing, quality for quantity with some younger players bulking up the squad.

Letting 4 first team players like Valencia, Darmian, Rojo and Sanchez leave sounds like a lot but what do they actually contribute, virtually nothing. Even if let those four go and bought no one you don’t significantly weaken the squad they are the definition of deadwood.

Mata’s time is up, a New RW to replace him and Sanchez is an upgrade, can’t be scared to let these players who have been consistently shown to be not good enough leave.
  30. Apr 11, 2019

.Rossi ever get that feeling of déjà vu?

Will come in handy to butter up guests to the executive suites during the relegation battles in 8 years time
  31. Apr 11, 2019

sullydnl Ross Kemp's caf ID

I love Mata but if we sign an upgrade then fine, let him go.

My worry stems from the fact that we have struggled and ultimately failed to sign four players in each of the last two summer windows, which suggests to me that a major overhaul would be very difficult to achieve. Despite that, I've seen arguments/suggestions for each of De Gea, Young, Smalling, Jones, Bailly, Rojo, Valencia, Herrera, Fred, Pogba, Mata, Sanchez and Lukaku being sold over the last few weeks. We can't sell/upgrade everyone so some of the lesser lights will have to remain (especially if better players like Pogba or De Gea end up leaving) and I'd worry about putting ourselves in a position where we've let players go and are struggling to replace them in time for the new season.
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  32. Apr 11, 2019

Ish Lights on for Luke

Should be let go.
  33. Apr 11, 2019

bond19821982 Full Member

He can go.
  34. Apr 11, 2019

Ducklegs Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Exactly, if the only reason they are there is to be bodies in the squad, then feck them off and bring in youth players or bang average journeymen who are consistent rather than over priced shite who we KNOW do not deliver.
  35. Apr 11, 2019

deadrevelz New Member

Happy that there are others who think this way... the idea that getting rid of underperforming overpaid players who have barely won anything at United is somehow going to hurt team morale etc is bollocks. Quite the opposite, it should help us rid the stench of failure from the dressing room.

Sadly there is no way the club will see it that way.
  36. Apr 11, 2019

NorthernAvengeR New Member

I love Mata, but he just doesn't fit in here anymore, if he ever did. We'll always have Juanfield. :drool:
  37. Apr 11, 2019

Zlaatan Parody Account

Taking a calculated gamble that new players might not work out is surely preferable over keeping players who we know won't improve us? I like Mata just as much as the next guy but he lost his legs a couple of years ago and he will not get any better in the coming years either, his (potentially quite big) salary is best spent elsewhere imo.
  38. Apr 11, 2019

MrSingh2002 Full Member

We've been shit for years now. We can't keep re-signing players who haven't been good enough to compete at the top level.

You will not change anything by keeping the same old players like Jones, Smalling, Young, Mata.

We have to call a spade a spade and make space for new players who can have a crack at having their own success at United.

Jose was clearly intent on making more changes at centre back and I'm sure alot of people here would agree that it's still needed. Ole has to make some tough decisions and get them right. Comes with the territory now he's our permanent manager.
  39. Apr 11, 2019

Ekeke Full Member

Shouldnt be on 100k or more but he's on 140k
  40. Apr 11, 2019

PeteManic Full Member

I love Juan but he has to go. Time has moved on.

In fact, quite frankly, all the Moyes-Van Gaal era players should be out this year and next.