Juan Mata | Official: Signs two-year contract with option of a third

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by kouroux, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Apr 13, 2019

WireMUFC New Member

Mata is a lovely bloke but so is my grandad, I don’t want my grandad playing no.10 for united though, time for him to go. When he was at Chelsea he was a match winner but not anymore. Like a lot of Spanish players his legs have gone and it’s a shame, but time to move on, it’s time for us to get a bright young winger in the side.
  2. Apr 14, 2019

NinjaZombie Punched the air when Liverpool beat City

Get rid. He's pointless. I'd rather see an Academy player get his minutes next season.

Same goes for Herrera. There's no point overpaying for these guys because you're not getting proper quality players who are driven to succeed.
  3. Apr 14, 2019

SteveW Full Member

Surprised they offered him a deal. Hope he decides to move on.
  4. Apr 14, 2019

Feed Me I'm hungry

Why have we offered him a new deal? The bloke can barely move. He's been a crap signing and sums up why we are an also-ran club now. Chelsea took us to the cleaners.
  5. Apr 14, 2019

-Supreme- New Member

We have picked up on his pace a lot of times, but even his passing has been so poor lately - I don't understand what he's good at anymore....
  6. Apr 14, 2019

JJ12 Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Absolutely right.

His passing has even gone missing.
  7. Apr 14, 2019

RD94 New Member

Get rid.Runs like a old man,soon he will need a stick.His time has passed,rather give youth a chance.We are becoming too sentimental with players who are not good enough for what we want to become as a club,him and Herrera.
  8. Apr 14, 2019

daveskimufc New Member

Mata has never been used properly over long periods for us. At Chelsea he played the left of midfield and had runners all around him, which left him space to move and pick out passes.
    At utd he is usually on the right wing with noone to aim at, no overlapping fullback, and no movement around him.

We should not renew,
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2019
  9. Apr 14, 2019

Vadim New Member

Mata is depressingly slow and basically not good enough for how we want to play under Ole.

He’s one of them players that make me grumble as soon as I see his name on the team sheet. He’s a luxury player, in some people’s minds he is still the cute/sexy Spanish playmaker. People like to moan about Lukaku and Rashford but Mata is the one that I’m convinced isn’t good enough. And of course Ashley fecking Young.
  10. Apr 14, 2019

NotoriousISSY $10mil and I fecked it up!

Mata doesn't play anywhere near enough to moan about.

I agree his time is clearly up if we want to move on to bigger and better things, but he plays so rarely that it's not as big an issue as Lukaku or Young for example.
  11. May 21, 2019

izec Full Member

Gomes should get his minutes and place in the team. He offers nothing on the pitch for us, especially looking beyond the next season or two. Hope the stories of an agreement arent true
  12. May 21, 2019

jderbyshire Full Member

Maybe means we're playing the diamond next season.
  13. May 21, 2019

joedirt87 Full Member

Woodward refusing to let go of the last bit from the Moyes era
  14. May 21, 2019

Cassidy No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

Then he shouldn't be resigned... especially if are serious about developing Gomes
  15. May 21, 2019

luke511 Full Member

The only purpose for him left at the club really is to keep De Gea settled, as bad as that may sound. On the pitch he isn't built for the final third anymore. He's too slow and weak to be played on the wing or in the centre.
  16. May 21, 2019

UNITED ACADEMY Full Member

If that’s the case, why can’t we have this then?

Lukaku Rashford
    ———Bruno——-

Martial Greenwood
    ———Lingard———
  17. May 21, 2019

izec Full Member

De Gea is a goner, he will leave for free next summer. Either that or someone pays a nice fee now, which i doubt when he is free next summer. Doesnt look like he will sign, i mean once it drags on like this, his startegy is probbaly to leave on a free and get nice wages + bonus and whatever else they throw at him.
  18. May 21, 2019

jderbyshire Full Member

Bruno we're not guaranteed to sign, and there's rumours Ole has issues with Lingard - guess he doesn't want to create a scenario in which he has no competition for his place.
  19. May 21, 2019

Samid follows Pogue around, fixing his images

Hopefully Woody has blocked Mata's number and deactivated his access card to Carrington.
  20. May 21, 2019

Pughnichi New Member

There’s a header to be won.

Ohh.. no there isn’t. Mata has ducked out again....

There’s a 50/50 ball to win

Ohh.. no there isn’t. Mata has bottled it again.

Get rid. Not brave enough. Not even starting on his other weaknesses already mentioned.

Keane would have annihilated him time and time again
  21. May 21, 2019

luke511 Full Member

When a "winger" for utd would struggle to dribble past an amateur in the English non league due to his lack of pace and strength, you know something's seriously wrong.
  22. May 21, 2019

EwanI Ted Full Member

I like Mata, but I feel like we never saw the best of him at United. At Chelsea he was a real leader, for us he was likeable rather than important. If he goes he absolutely goes with my best wishes and thanks, but at the same time Id be pretty depressed if he's even on the bench for the first game of next season.
  23. May 21, 2019

VP89 Pogba's biggest fan

Quite content with him staying to be honest.
  24. May 21, 2019

Rifer Full Member

Mata stay and as usual Ole will overuse him, instead of trying out younger players for longer-term project.
  25. May 21, 2019

Ish Lights on for Luke

I want him gone as much as the next guy but I guess there's 2 ways at looking at this.

- we have a shit ton of deadwood to clear out and we do it all in 1 go (which we probably can't);
    - we clear out the dead wood over 2-3 transfer windows and keep some more senior players around (especially the better professionals) to add some continuity in the squad until they are eventually replaced.
  26. May 21, 2019

Vault Dweller Full Member

I’d keep him.
  27. May 21, 2019

Oldyella Full Member

Agreed. Chelsea seemed to use him a lot better than we ever have. Time to move on though. His contracts up and as nice a guy as he is, we need to start being tougher with players we have no need for.
  28. May 21, 2019

Ekeke Full Member

He hasnt been worth the 140k or whatever since we signed him, so this would be disappointing and a sign we arent addressing our no right wing problem.
  29. May 21, 2019

GiddyUp Full Member

I was watching a match with my father in law and complained about how slow he is running with the ball. Just as I said it he recieved the ball from young after a bad corner kick with the whole right wing open to him. We began to count and after 10 seconds he was still 40 yards from the opposition box. No blog in the world can apologize for being that slow on a football pitch.
    I would be very happy with everyone of them being replaced over the next 18 months. Outside of McTominay and Lindelof who are the only two who deserve a chance I couldn't give a feck.
  30. May 21, 2019

Offside Euro 2016 sweepstake winner

Great if he stays. The only player in our team who wouldn’t stick out like a sore thumb at City for being a donkey.
  31. May 21, 2019

amolbhatia50k Sneaky bum time

If we get rid of other unwanted players and keep someone like Mata with sound technique and an excellent mentality I suppose that's fine. But ideally I'd get rid of him becuase he doesn't really suit any modern system with his complete lack of physicality and mobility. He's somebody a top squad can afford to have and sadly we don't have one.
  32. May 21, 2019

Jeffthered Full Member

I don't believe you.

Juan Mata as Manchester United Captain was a low-point to me, and set alarm bells ringing... and that was a fair few years ago now.

Nice bloke, future President of FIFA (or the UN perhaps..), but he's not offering us, or any other top side, what they need. Back to La Liga for mid-table, pretty football, passionate fans, lovely weather, and decent food and beer. And a decent contract probably.

Why stay?
  33. May 21, 2019

Champ Full Member

Mata is by far the most intelligent player we have in the squad, he is a brilliant squad member and when utilised correctly can pick a pass better than anyone in our team, including Pogba.
    The fact that people can't see this is just bizarre,
  34. May 21, 2019

Zlatattack Full Member

I hope he goes. Adds very little on the pitch.
  35. May 21, 2019

Vault Dweller Full Member

Because I still think he offers something most of the squad don’t. Playing him wide right is a total waste, around the box he is still inventive and works the ball well. I don’t see anyone else in the squad offering what he does when he’s around the box.
  36. May 21, 2019

sunama Baghdad Bob

I'm not.
    As long as we can save money by retaining existing players (even if they aren't good enough), it allows Woodward to tell the manager that we don't need to buy more players as we have enough. This trick was played with Jose and Woodie will continue to use this, as it works a treat and fans accept it.

This is just another example of how deluded some fans are, when they think that we could challenge for the league title next season.

MCFC are ditching Vincent Kompany - a player who captained his side to 3 trophies this season - because they deem him to be no longer good enough. We on the other hand are hanging onto the likes of Jones and Mata.

Why are fans accepting this? Can they not see what is happening?
  37. May 21, 2019

sunama Baghdad Bob

What has Mata done, of note, this season?
    Genuine question.
  38. May 21, 2019

dove Full Member

As suspected our "clearance" will just be losing decent/good players and keeping all the deadwood.
  39. May 21, 2019

redDNA New Member

I don't understand Ole,he is beginning to sound like a politician, full of soundbites no action .

He renewed Jones' Young's contracts.
    He said he will play academy lads, and still played Ashley Young in a deadrubber match.
    He said he wants his team to outrun and outwork the opponents and he's renewing Mata who's weak and slow.

Let Mata go, I don't even want him as a squad option, Gomes and Greenwood should take his place.
  40. May 21, 2019

Dec9003 Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Id be happy to keep him I think.
    He's lacking physically, but he's still a talented footballer.