Keane v Vieira: Best of Enemies

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Buchan, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Nov 30, 2013

SirAF Full Member

This.
  2. Nov 30, 2013

SirAF Full Member

Oh yes, I've watched this countless times on DVD. Remember that night very well, screamed my lungs off. I could barely talk the next day at school :lol:
  3. Nov 30, 2013

JaffyJoe Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news

The way some compare Viera to Keane here is like he isn't a world class footballer himself. I personally think in choosing between the two it is preference. Gerrard well he was never at his best in cm so I wouldn't compare him to either. I think both Gerrard and Lampard were am's who played cm to an extent.
  4. Nov 30, 2013

Backrow Singer Full Member

Keane was brilliant to watch at his peak. His sheer disire and will to win alone inspired those around him. I haven't seen too many dominate a midfield in the way Keane could. I remember him saying that his game was made up of those thousands of small things that go on during a game, but he did them so well that few would get the better of him. A true box to box midfielder who could do the lot. Didn't matter who we were playing, you knew that we had a captain in midfield who would run his blood to water every single time. Yes he could play, but that was his greatest attribute for me. His sheer desire and will to win. But he did it in a way that made others follow.
  5. Nov 30, 2013

Theon Full Member

What do you mean?

He might have said that and I don't think he's underrating Keane on purpose, but I think his opinion is harsh on Keane. For example I don't think the differences are that hard to nail down, Keane was better defensively than Robson. But there is no mention of that in the posts and instead the element of football Keane has over Robbo which is highlighted is his 'drive'. Of course that is true, but there was much more to Keane than simply being driven and having the right mentality. Robbo gets credit from him for being a better more technical footballer, so Keane should have the credit for being better defensively.

I also don't think this is fair on Keane, as I said in the reply he was exceptionally astute on the pitch. It's part of what made him such a great leader.
  6. Nov 30, 2013

Adebesi Full Member

I don't mean anything in particular, I didn't mean to trigger any defensiveness. Just saying he was mindful of the risk of coming across as underrating one by comparing the two. Your opinion is as valid as his of course, and more than mine as I was quite young when Robbo was playing, and didn't watch football very critically in those days. My favourite player in that team was Jasper Olsen. My dad got me a kit with his name and 10 on the back for my birthday, a very happy memory.

Apologies for the tangent.
  7. Nov 30, 2013

Chesterlestreet Full Member

Keano was better defensively, certainly. Robbo was better offensively. That is indeed a difference worth pointing out. But I have to say I find it very odd that you took my descriptions as being harsh on Keano. There's hardly anything between them as far as I'm concerned. I thought I made that quite clear, but fair enough. It's a personal preference more than anything.

And saying Robbo was the more intelligent player isn't a slight on Keano's footballing intelligence. It was said in the context of comparing two players that are - in my view - on the same level.
  8. Nov 30, 2013

Ringo 07 Full Member

What Beckham had to say about Keane over the weekend.......

“You know I've never played with a player that has been so driven and talented and the will to win, you know there is no one that I've played with that is like Roy.
    “He's the best captain I've ever played with. The best mid-fielder I've ever played with,” the former England captain said.

http://www.independent.ie/incoming/...d-and-best-midfielder-roy-keane-29798190.html
  9. Nov 30, 2013

Eric'sCollar Asked for his wife's permission before signing up

I'm glad that I have found many on here who recognize just how good Keane was. The media and a lot of other fans just thought he was a hard tackling, defensive midfielder who shouted a lot to drive his team on. While he was those, he was a magnificent footballer and I don't think he got the credit he deserved in regards to his ability.

As I said, it's a shame how some relationships ended but nothing will change the fact that he was my favourite player growing up and I don't know where United would be today without him, I don't think we would have as many trophies as we do.
  10. Nov 30, 2013

Amir Full Member

A very underrated passer. While not regularly making defence splitting passes or floating those perfectly weighted balls to the wings like Scholes, he was running the show.
  11. Dec 1, 2013

Big Papi I ❤ Clucko

This is who Beckham was referring to back in 2000 or 2001 when he said this.
  12. Dec 2, 2013

afrocentricity Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

He was my one of my favourite players alongside Cantona & Giggs... I miss the good Roy Keane and not the moaning fcuker that's doing the rounds now. Legend.
  13. Dec 3, 2013

Big Papi I ❤ Clucko

What Keane did so simply too, was to link defence with attack. He dropped back so often and picked up the ball from the back 4. Carrick does it now but he does go hiding too. Keane never hid.

14. Dec 3, 2013

Decotron Full Member

Not that it matters greatly in the general scheme of things but it irks me that Gerard gets the credit for that turn around. Hamann was the one who changed that match. Liverpool fans will tell you the same....
  15. Dec 3, 2013

I agree with you that is was Hamann AND Alonso, but I think most would say it was Gerrard. His reputation is built on that match and the amount of wondergoals he scored to win them games.
  16. Dec 3, 2013

Big Papi I ❤ Clucko

Sorry, one more - I like this one:

17. Dec 3, 2013

Rozay Full Member

Well it was a team effort of course. Just like our Yorke and Cole partnership don't get the credit they deserve for Turin perhaps. One thing is certain, nobody says it was all Milan Baros. Gerrard's name is not mentioned for no reason, and I'm sure people would have recognised if everyone was just making it up.
  18. Dec 3, 2013

Decotron Full Member

Yeah the goals always get the headlines probably more so as time goes on as well.

Tbf to Gerard I believe he has said it about that night and Hamann being the key...
  19. Dec 3, 2013

Rozay Full Member

My main memory of Gerrard that night was his performance when he went to right-back. He defended brilliantly, and it was clear that he was going to play anywhere and do anything to get his hands on that cup. He wasn't the only great performer, but he was the driving force I think.
  20. Dec 3, 2013

onlyoneunited Full Member

God i miss rivalries like the Keano v Viera ones, football was just so much more interesting back then, you can remember were you were, what you were doing etc during those games. Now its just so sterile and even though its still a buzz seeing United, gone is the edge of the seat, sweaty palms nervousness that used to come before big games, because at the end of the day its just so samey all the time now.
  21. Dec 3, 2013

lem8sh Full Member

22. Dec 3, 2013

Spoony The People's President

Zidane is clearly a greater footballer than Missi.
    Christ's sake, I thought it was on today.
  23. Dec 4, 2013

rpitroda Full Member

Bet you had a semi until you realized too =P.
  24. Dec 9, 2013

Buchan has whacked the hammer to Roswell (I'm nahealai)

Bump.

Reminder to all that this airs tomorrow night. Not that Adrian Childs won't remind you at least fifteen times tomorrow night during the game.
  25. Dec 9, 2013

Genius Me! Proud EE fan, 10k club member & NSFW crew member

This definitely on? My tv listing shows itv news at ten, tomorrow night at ten.

Edit: it's on itv 4 not itv 1 :mad:
  26. Dec 9, 2013

Fergus' son Gets very easily confused

It's on ITV4, op is inaccurate.
  27. Dec 9, 2013

Maybe if Nahealai spent more time sorting out his OP's as he does in making sure he looks snazzy, then we wouldn't have such problems of confusion.
  28. Dec 9, 2013

Plugsy Banned

It seems a tenuous reason for a TV show.

Two players had an argument in the tunnel fifteen years ago.

And? fecking hell that look Keane gave Chiles once will probably be made into a four part drama series by the time the decade is out.
  29. Dec 9, 2013

The greatest individual player rivalry in the PL era IMO, I'm glad they made a programme about it and I'll enjoy watching it.
  30. Dec 9, 2013

rcoobc Not as crap as eferyone thinks

Yup thats it. An argument in the tunnel.
  31. Dec 9, 2013

Agree with this. Keane and vieira is the epitome of rivalry for me, well at least it's the greatest rivalry I've had the privilege of watching growing up.
  32. Dec 9, 2013

Buchan has whacked the hammer to Roswell (I'm nahealai)

Corrected.
  33. Dec 9, 2013

Eric'sCollar Asked for his wife's permission before signing up

For us in Australia, does ITV show their programs for free on their website after the show has aired?

Would love to watch this.
  34. Dec 9, 2013

35. Dec 9, 2013

Lynk Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck

You clearly didn't watch United prior to 2005. fecking hell, what a fecking stupid statement.
  36. Dec 9, 2013

Ash_G Full Member

Didn't see the programme so don't know if he gave a reason but very surprised he left our Scholes, always thought he rated him very highly- though suppose he's maybe done it to troll people, he's left out the three main players who can't be seen as loyal to Fergie. As for the joint team, G.Nev without doubt and personally always thought RVN and Henry would be an unreal duo.
  37. Dec 9, 2013

Oggmonster Full Member

Programme not on til tomorrow mate so you'll get his reasons then though I imagine you're right, he probably does most of it to annoy people and because he seemingly has a bit of a chip on his shoulder. Judging by the comments Fergie's book was probably right and a lot of the players didn't like him (Keane) by the end.
  38. Dec 9, 2013

Ince over Scholes? This anti-SAF crusade that Keane is on is fecking tiresome. Seems like this programme will be full of it too...
  39. Dec 9, 2013

Spoony The People's President

Zidane is clearly a greater footballer than Missi.
    :lol:

He must be on wind up. Players who've challenged Fergie eh?
  40. Dec 10, 2013

Barney "We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"

Supports:
    Liverpool
    I know the argument is a few days old, I just want to say this: Keane is comfortably the best CM to have played in the league, IMO. Better than Scholes, better than Vieira and yes, better than Stevie. After Keane, I'd have Stevie and then Vieira. I think Scholes is a tad overrated around these parts.

The belittling of Gerrard ' performance in Istanbul is pathetic though. He was incredible that night.