Kompany

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Man-United, Jan 2, 2011.

1. May 14, 2012

Sarni nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

He's always been destined for big things since his Anderlecht days. Completely bossed a quality Wisla Krakow side at 17 in 2003 CL qualifiers.
  2. May 14, 2012

FlawlessThaw most 'know it all' poster

Definitely the moral winner in the City team
  3. May 14, 2012

Bebe Full Member

Don't forget Cristiano Ronaldo.
  4. May 14, 2012

Red Pavan shittest username ever manutddabest791

:lol: I'd make a case for him being best in the world.

On another note, he was a FM legend back in 2008 and has finally fulfilled his potential in real life.
  5. May 14, 2012

Gazza Magic Carpet Pilot

Dumbstar :lol:

He's like Santa the way he gives and gives
  6. May 14, 2012

Red Indian Chief Torn Rubber Thus says Kemo

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
    Yes. He was always set to become this good. It was just a matter of time and the right club.
  7. May 15, 2012

FlawlessThaw most 'know it all' poster

Just a shame he is at the wrong club then
  8. May 15, 2012

Snow Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

He's even an older FM legend than that. Sarni mentions him bossing Wisla at 17. That's about right. He started being an FM legend as soon as he signed his first professional contract. Now he's got some stability at City (an odd thing to say) and is their captain. Very similar to our own Vidic but he speaks better English so more of him is revealed in interviews.
  9. May 15, 2012

Badunk Full Member

Was brilliant in PES 5 or 6 IIRC. I had him in my dream team.
  10. May 15, 2012

mr.suave Full Member

Comes across as a top guy whenever I see him interviewed. Great player too.

Just a shame he plays for City.
  11. May 15, 2012

JB7 Full Member

I can remember LMA Manager 2006 (I think), first thing I'd do every time I played the game would be to sign Kompany and Vanden Borre, 18 and 16 years old respectively and both were like 9/10 bars overall rating already, awesome.
  12. May 15, 2012

puNANI Full Member

Brilliant player. Quite like able as well. Best defender in the league besides for a fit Vidic.
  13. Jul 26, 2012

Damien Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)

He's signed a new six-year contract at City.
  14. Jul 26, 2012

ghaliboy Snitches on Tom Hagen

Megabucks.
  15. Jul 26, 2012

pauldyson1uk Full Member

I think Kompany is City's best player and after Vidic the best defender in the PL.
    Would of loved to see him in our defence.
  16. Jul 26, 2012

Irwinwastheking Gimpier than Alex and Feeky

Pity we didn't get him all those years ago. One of the youngsters we missed out on. Class act as a player, and as has been mentioned comes across as a sound guy too.
  17. Jul 26, 2012

newtonheathdave Bitter

Now I like Vidic. He is a proper defender but I keep seeing people write that Vidic is still the best drefender in the country.
    I am interested in how people think Vidic is better than Kompany?
    From my biased viewpoint, Kompany is faster, just as dominant in the air and a far better footballe. What aspects of the game do people think are the strengths and weaknesses of both players?
  18. Jul 26, 2012

Liam147 On Probation

Kompany is a better defender. Has more time on his side, faster, like you say, and I'd then say his strength and aerial ability is similar to Vidic's. But Vidic has been out for most of the season, whereas Kompany's actively played one of the biggest parts of City's title win.

People can say that two seasons ago, Vidic was better than Kompany, but after a cruciate at 29(?) I don't see how people can say he IS better than him.
  19. Jul 26, 2012

Varun Wants the D...

Because when someone's been out for a season but was a beast before that, its normal to compare him with others based on how good he was when he got injured. It'l be too complicated otherwise. How would you judge how much of an impact the injury's had on him when he hasnt even played yet?
  20. Jul 26, 2012

Mannheim Red Full Member

Couldnt agree more mate.
    Vidic isnt even the best defender at United.
    Id love to see Kompany at United and thats the biggest complement I can pay him. He is a brilliant player.
  21. Jul 26, 2012

RedDevilCanuck Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin

Kompany is a beast. Watched a lot of city last year and he barely makes any mistakes. One of the best in England for sure.

Vidic is better though. Smalling will be too.
  22. Jul 26, 2012

Cheesy Full Member

It'll be interesting to see how Vidic compares with Kompany when he returns. I'd have said he was better this time last year, however Kompany's only gotten better while Vidic's injuries may have a bit of a lasting effect on him. Should be very interesting though.
  23. Jul 26, 2012

Crustanoid Full Member

In overall terms Kompany surpassed Vidic last year imo. Vidic still has the capacity to play at a higher level though in single matches - we'll see how he does when he gets back
  24. Jul 26, 2012

Sw33t Full Member

How is Vidic not the best at United?

Before his injury, he was quite obviously the best.

Rio is good, but not as good as Vidic was (before the injury. And fyi, Rio WAS a better defender than Vidic was/is)
  25. Jul 26, 2012

Dyslexic Untied Full Member

I'd say Kompany and Vidic are about the same when both are in form - they are both pretty much unplayable and also an attacking threat.

Do not agree on notion that Kompany is a better footballer though. Vidic's technique, close control and passing are all too often underrated in general, and on here when compared to Rio. Vidic is a very good passer of the ball for a defender, and is pretty sure technically.
  26. Jul 26, 2012

Baxter Full Member

It's because Vidic is from Serbia and has a reputation for being a hard man. He is actually very good on the ball as you say.
  27. Jul 26, 2012

alastair ignorant

I think Kompany's better purely on the basis that most is equal but Vidic does have a tendency to commit some very dodgy fouls once in a while. Ferdinand at his peak was better than both.
  28. Jul 26, 2012

Sw33t Full Member

I don't think anyone can argue with that. Well, they will no doubt, but I can't see how they can back it up.

For me, Vidic and Kompany are 2 of the best 3/4 CB in world football. Big compliment to both
  29. Jul 26, 2012

VoetbalWizard Banned

only 130k a week? is this true? sounds a bit low for being the captain and best 2-3 players at city?
  30. Jul 26, 2012

Brwned Have you ever been in love before?

While I agree with the underrated because of his style of defending, there's obviously a reason why Rio and Kompany were trusted to play in centre mid before (regardless of how successful it was) and Vidic wasn't - there's a clear gulf in class in terms of composure, more than anything. He's very good passing it out from the pack under very little pressure, better than most, but Rio and Kompany are a lot better given less time on the ball.
  31. Jul 26, 2012

adexkola American Arse

Tristate. In the street like a hooker's feet
    Pique is not better than Vidic, despite the former being more composed on the ball than the latter.
  32. Jul 26, 2012

Brwned Have you ever been in love before?

I think you've lost track of the conversation. We're talking about Vidic's ball skills, not his defensive skills.

33. Jul 26, 2012

adexkola American Arse

Yeah, my bad
  34. Jul 27, 2012

Antisocial Full Member

The Mirror claims £200,000 a week, but they also say it's the biggest contract in the country, which is at odds with other tabloid wage hype that put Yaya Toure on £220,000, and Tevez on more than that as the best paid player at City. Anyway here's the link:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/vincent-kompany-pens-new-record-breaking-1172632

And as for Vidic vs. Kompany - I'd say Vidic has been the better during his career given what he's won and high profile games he's played for us. Kompany could very well reach similar heights, but Vidic has already been there and proved it. But the big question is what level will he be at when he returns; even if he returns at a high level, Kompany is never injured so probably won't decline until he reaches Rio's age.
  35. Jul 27, 2012

Liam147 On Probation

Well yeah, it may be normal, but you can't say how good Vidic is right now, so claiming to be the better of the two (and thus, IMO, the best in the world), is ridiculous.

I will say that Kompany was better than Vidic has been at any point for me, although the 2011 season he was probably around his peak. You just don't see Kompany put a foot wrong. His two-footed challenge was reckless, but debatable as a sending off (although personally I thought it was a red). Can't remember his other red card, but those aside he's flawless. Vidic too often has been outdone with someone with pace. When we drew 0-0 at WHL in 2011 I think, he was pulling someone's shirt in the area, and the pen wasn't given because it was just out of view of the officials. Then there's the Liverpool trilogy. The 4-1 was an absolutely dismal performance, and one I don't recall Kompany making, nor could I even fathom him making.
  36. Jul 27, 2012

AttackingFlair Full Member

Kompany is a great player, I'd like to see how he would do in the CL if City progress further than last year.

With Rio and Vidic, we've already seen them put in some monster performances in CL matches.
  37. Jul 27, 2012

Theon Full Member

Vidic is better in the air than Kompany and more physical, but less mobile and more prone to making a silly foul - though I think people are making too much out of this.

I'd have Vidic any day personally, but suppose it's fairly close.
  38. Jul 27, 2012

adexkola American Arse

Vidic has been part of a defense that went 20 something games without losing in the Champions League, and a defense that went for 14 league games without conceding a goal. How can you say Kompany last season was better than Vidic has been at any point? Nothing tops Vidic's form in 2008-09.
  39. Jul 27, 2012

adexkola American Arse

How has Kompany performed in the Champions League so far? They've been on the receiving end of some embarrassing defeats in Europe.

He's a great defender. Top 3 in the league, definitely top 5 worldwide. Just hasn't done enough to eclipse Vidic's achievements IMO.
  40. Jul 27, 2012

Liam147 On Probation

Come on, three? Who are the two above him?

I can say what I said as we had Evra, Brown and Ferdinand with him. Kompany had Lescott, Clichy, and sometimes Richards. Like you say, it was a defence, not one man.