Lack of crossing

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by RedStarUnited, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Oct 21, 2017

RedStarUnited Full Member

I have just watched us play a whole game trying to go through the middle of Huddersfield. The only moment we scored was when Lukaku had to go wide and whip one in for Rashford. It was honestly the most frustrating match I have watched under Jose. We had a good 80% of the ball and every attack was trying to force something through the middle.

It is not just today game either, I generally feel like we don't cross enough for Lukaku considering the type of player he is. Is this a team instruction or do we just not have the quality out wide so we decide to not bother?

And generally speaking, our decision making in the final third is not title winning quality.
  2. Oct 21, 2017

Bojan11 Full Member

We do not have the quality hence why we wanted Perisic.
  3. Oct 21, 2017

Murder on Zidane's Floor You'd better not kill Giroud

We have no one who can cross with their dominate foot. Rashford, Young etc all have to check back in order to cross.
  4. Oct 21, 2017

Even these guys, they will cut back on to strong foot and try play a pass.
  5. Oct 21, 2017

Tarrou Full Member

Our best crosser, Young, seems to have gone to shite now and all
  6. Oct 21, 2017

bosnian_red Worst scout to ever exist

I thought we crossed it a decent amount actually. They were just woeful crosses. Young constantly kept overhitting it, valencia hitting the first man, Mata's are always floaters, etc..
  7. Oct 21, 2017

M4YON Full Member

This ^
  8. Oct 21, 2017

Raw Full Member

Because we can't fecking cross. I really wanted this issue sorted in the summer but we failed.

With all the height in this team, a good crosser would do wonders.
  9. Oct 21, 2017

Kush Full Member

Annoyed me greatly today, we don't have great crossers at the club right now but when you can't create anything through the middle least you can do is cause some panic by putting in crosses.

We created so little today but whatever we did it came from a cross, see Herrera's header which Lossl saved it came from a Young cross, Smalling chance at the death came from a Valencia cross too.
  10. Oct 21, 2017

Damien Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin) Staff

We crossed a few times today. Problem is they were mostly bad.
  11. Oct 21, 2017

donkeyfish Full Member

You need to go through the middle at some point though, either in front of their midfield or in front of their defence. Trying to play through solely on the wing makes it very tight and difficult.

My impression of today's united is that we often try to exploit the wide areas from advanced positions in the centre, with one of the three behind Lukaku having the ball. If they have a game full of poor touches and misplaced passes, it's going to be difficult.

That said, we could use a great crosser too - like Nani at his best.
  12. Oct 21, 2017

::sonny:: Full Member

Mourinho wanted Perisic for this
  13. Oct 21, 2017

Skills Snitch

Well for most modern attacking teams the crosses come from your full backs. Our full backs are not allowed to occupy the flank deep within the opposition half, so the lack of crossing.
  14. Oct 21, 2017

NotoriousISSY $10mil and I fecked it up!

I find it’s not a lack of crossing, but modern footballers just don’t seem to have that technique to whip a ball into a dangerous area with any purpose.
  15. Oct 21, 2017

ti vu Full Member

We did plenty today, though... we have quite enough crossing and set piece too. Port crossing, delivery is the problem.

Lukaku who supposed to be the man to get the cross, needed to show me all an example...
  16. Oct 21, 2017

PlayerOne Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

The wingers we have in the squad aren't really wingers and the fullbacks were wingers who weren't good enough as wingers, so they all lack quality in that sense.

In their defence, I will say that in games like today's one, it was hard for them. Valencia and Young were isolated on wing, no one overlapping or making a run to drag defenders away from them. It's not how Jose plays though and I think any winger will struggle to put in a good cross consistently.
  17. Oct 21, 2017

Dominos Full Member

He had a peach for Herrera's header at least. He puts whip and pace on it, and actually gets it in the box, and we've scored from his attacking play this season.

Valencia, on the other hand, hits the defender nearly every time, and those he does put in the box are aboslutely shite. For a former winger it's embarassing. Mata floats the ball in too.
  18. Oct 21, 2017

Dominos Full Member

Another thing on our wing play. At least we have some sort of team work on the left side, we get the occassional winger/fullback overlap, young got in behind or into good positions a few times, and we have Rashford/Martial who run at the opposition full backs and pose some sort of threat at least.

On the right, Valencia is asked to do it all on his own. He's given the ball with no one anywhere near him. You might see an overlap once every 5 games, we've not created a 2 on 1 out there for an eternity.
  19. Oct 21, 2017

automaticflare Full Member

Not sure I agree with opening post. I think we tried about 20 crosses and were all shite except for the goal all too long too deep misjudged in win

Yet we put smalling up top for last 10 and didn't try to cross once
  20. Oct 21, 2017

el3mel Full Member

We were crossing. They were all absolute shite, though.
  21. Oct 21, 2017

kouroux 45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Which is annoying has the only decent ball he produced, created a good chance.
  22. Oct 21, 2017

SwansonsTache incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover

We have no wingers and no full backs, no wonder we're shite at them. Add the fact that the delivery from our playmakers are sub-par as well and you end up with a striker absolutely devoid of service.
  23. Oct 21, 2017

yo@Kirk Full Member

Demetri Mitchell is the only player available with the ball striking ability, pace and quickness to make a difference. Without attacking support from the FBs, Mitchell at RW and Rashford at LW would at least be able to cut inside and drive a dangerous flighted ball into the box. If a defender overplays the inside, both have the skill to go around the defender and slide a pass to an open attacker in the box. However, I doubt Mourinho would play an academy kid over proven EPL quality like Mata.
  24. Oct 21, 2017

Backrow Singer Full Member

That's a massive issue though, one of the main routes completly blocked off. Very similar last week, lots of ball in wide areas but only one, maybe two crosses of any quality. Not good enough.

Can certainly see why he wanted to bring someone in. If Matic and Herrera are your midfield you need something out wide and we got nothing today.
  25. Oct 21, 2017

Son Of Sam Banned

Young had one good cross today and Herrera didn’t do enough with it - that was the only time we troubled their goalie before Rashford scored.
  26. Oct 21, 2017

Walters_19_MuFc Full Member

It's not just that, though. Its the way we play. We, as the OP said, are constantly trying to play through the middle, which makes no sense against compact teams like today.

Get the ball wide - stretch play. Under Sir Alex, our philosophy was get it wide and get it in. You may say we have no quality, but when you flood the box with 5 or 6 players, like we did with Sir Alex, the odds of one of our players getting on the end of a cross is very high.

At the moment, when we do make a cross, we only have one or two players inside the box, which means it has to be inch perfect like todays goal.
  27. Oct 21, 2017

Rajma Full Member

Bingo. Under SAF we would have multiple runners (with intelligent movement) flooding the box and making all sort of havoc once those crosses came in. For me, it all comes down to our safety first approach.
  28. Oct 21, 2017

Thats my point. When were chasing the game, I remember at least 5 attacks breaking down because we were trying to play through the middle. There was a break we had and Lingard was on the ball, he ignored a simple pass into Miki on the right to play in Rashford who was running through the middle and surrounded by 3 defenders.

I really wish I had the spare time to go through matches and and make videos that pick out some of the awful decisions our attackers make that robs them of clear goal scoring chances.
  29. Oct 21, 2017

Hed Zitin Banned

What? All those jokers did was cross the ball. We have nothing in the center to create anything else. The only way this lot were going to score was from a cross. They don't have a clue how to play any other way.

Yes the crossing was beyond crap, but they still tried to do it and nothing else.
  30. Oct 21, 2017

Just wanted to add that, when teams are trailing, they often resort to whiping crosses into the box, especially in the latter stages of the game, and more often than not, its results in them causing teams a lot of havoc.
  31. Oct 21, 2017

Fully Fledged Full Member

Moyes would be smiling at this thread.
  32. Oct 21, 2017

minoo-utd Full Member

What are we waiting for to bring in a decent player who can cross?
  33. Oct 22, 2017

Our crossing stats this season:

[​IMG]
  34. Oct 22, 2017

12OunceEpilogue Full Member

We tried and we mostly failed
  35. Oct 22, 2017

ti vu Full Member

Even among those "accurate" crosses, I doubt there are many quality ones.
  36. Oct 22, 2017

Indeed.
  37. Oct 22, 2017

The United Full Member

I may be forgetting a lot now. Did we use a lot of crosses back in 2006-2009 period?

Also I always thought mikey was bought to play as a right side midfielder as he could cross. Well, since he had a lot of assists from right wing in germany or so I heard.

I am a bit surprised that our right wing is still disjointed as years ago.
  38. Oct 22, 2017

ti vu Full Member

Yes. We always did under SAF. SAF kept a well drilled wing play throughout his reign.

He was supposed to do the Mata role with license to drift infield. He has decent cross, but his crossing ability is more useful in counter attack where there are less many to beat. To unlock a compact defense, the quality of cross needs to be higher, especially PL CBs are well drilled aerially.
  39. Nov 18, 2017

Two goals from crosses into the box.

Get the ball wide and get it in.
  40. Nov 18, 2017

GM K Full Member

I heard some pundits say today, that United is joint best in the PL this season when it comes to scoring from crosses.