Leeds The Way To 2010!

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by askabob, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Dec 31, 2009

askabob Full Member

Ten years ago, the clash between Manchester United and Leeds United would have turned heads worldwide as two of England's greatest sporting clubs locked horns to decide football's winner of the War of the Roses.

Unfortunately, in recent years, there have been no clashes between these mammoth clubs--partly due to Leeds' financial difficulties and subsequent relegation to League One, the third tier of English football. In fact, one would have to travel over six years into the past to arrive at their last meeting: a 1-1 draw in the then Barclaycard Premiership. The lack of meetings between the two clubs has caused this rivalry to temporarily subside; now many Manchester United fans would say their most important rival is instead Liverpool. Thus, many younger fans (including myself) are not familiar with this great rivalry, so I did a bit of research to see how it all started.

The War(s) of the Roses were a series of battles in the mid-late fifteenth century between the Houses of Lancaster and York that resulted in Lancastrian Henry Tudor rising to the throne of England and the House of Tudor ruling England for the next 120 years. An influx of wealth in Manchester (located in Lancashire) due to the booming cotton industry ruined the established Leeds wool business, further fueling the flames.

[​IMG]

The white flower of Yorkshire and the red flower of Lancashire​

The aversion between these two counties manifested itself into football when the workers of Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway founded Newton Heath L&YR in 1878 (later to become Manchester United FC in 1902) and Leeds City emerged in 1904. Manchester United donned the traditional red of Lancashire while Leeds wore the white of Yorkshire. The two sides first clashed on January 15, 1906 at the Bank Street stadium, the second home of Manchester United, and Leeds won 3-0. However, United defeated Leeds 2-1 at Elland Road in the reverse fixture.

Leeds City disbanded a few months after their defeat at Elland Road due to financial problems and resurfaced as the familiar Leeds United. Once Leeds returned to the Second Division, the two clubs met at Old Trafford as we know them today, namely Manchester United and Leeds United, although the match ended in a disappointing scoreless draw. Manchester United claimed the first official win when they defeated Leeds 1-0 away from home a week later, and it took Leeds five more years to claim their first victory over United, a 2-0 victory at home.

The rivalry intensified after World War II, with United's Busby Babes achieving acclaimed success and Leeds manager Don Revie's side gaining a reputation of resilience. The two sides met in the semi-finals of the 1964-65 FA Cup, and after an initial scoreless draw that ended with a fight between Jack Charlton and Denis Law, Leeds won the replay and advanced to the final; additionally, the two teams ended the season tied on points in the league, although United won based on better goal difference.

[​IMG]

Denis Law after the first leg of the semi-final against Leeds,

where he was embroiled in a fight with Sir Bobby Charlton's brother Jack​

The rivalry continued into the 1960's and 70's, but ended temporarily when Leeds were relegated to the Second Division in 1982. They gained promotion in 1990, and subsequently won the league in 1992. The following year, Leeds famously sold Eric Cantona to Manchester United, leading to the dominance of the latter in the newly formed Premier League. The rivalry never failed to fascinate, with notable incidents including Alfie Haaland taunting Roy Keane, and tussles between Robbie Keane and David Beckham as well as Ian Harte and Fabian Barthez.

Manchester United and Leeds fans now have a chance to relive their old rivalry when they meet again in the at Old Trafford in the FA Cup. Leeds forced a replay with Kettering Town after coming back from a goal down when Jermaine Beckford equalized late on, and a week later they emphatically won 5-1 to book a third round tie with Manchester United.

[​IMG]

Cantona's transfer to Manchester United propelled them to dominate the early Premiership​

On January 3, the world will once again turn as the fire is relit, as Manchester United face old foes Leeds United. With United's defensive injury woes temporarily subsiding with the return of Rafael, Vidic, and Brown, Ferguson will most likely not have to play midfielders in the back, allowing him to play a mixture of youth and experience up elsewhere. However, Leeds have won their last 4 games and have only conceded 3 in the process, so the United cannot take the match lightly. Regardless, the encounter should be an entertaining one as both sides will go for the win, knowing that they might not be able to face each other for quite some time.

Here's to a great match, and a happy new year!
  2. Dec 31, 2009

NextSeason Full Member

Can't wait for this one, need to sort my ticket out!
  3. Dec 31, 2009

Sir Matt Full Member

It's pretty lame you couldn't get the interview with Grella...Come on, help a fellow Dukie out.
  4. Dec 31, 2009

Anderson Searl Reserve Team Player

Fantastic post.

Though I briefly remember Leeds clashes during the Cantona years and Leeds European strength at the start of the decade, I never got to embrace this rivalry like I have others... I hope it's a quality night of football, and I hope Fergie doesn't take the foot of the gas pedal and places full strength.
  5. Dec 31, 2009

fishfingers15 Contributes to username and tagline changes

Nani Are you ok? Are you ok? Are you ok Nani?
    The two matches in 2001, 1-1 at Old Trafford with Ole scoring an 89th minute equaliser and RvN hitting the goal post in injury time and 3-4 at Elland Road stand out in memory :D
  6. Dec 31, 2009

londonredmaniac I suffer delusions of grandeur

The announcer and referee of Gaz Vs DJS the meet!
    I fecking hate Leeds.

I've been wanting this draw since they went down, it's taken 6 twatting years but the day is here again.

Couldron of hatred this one. Love it.
  7. Dec 31, 2009

Twigginater WUM Alert!

Can't wait. Me and my Mate are going. fecking get in.
  8. Dec 31, 2009

Great Hat Banned

Yeah can't wait for this. It's been far too long since we've played Leeds, and so there's a lot of singing and drinking to be made up for. Hopefully we can attack like we did against Wigan last night and it should all be fine. Should be a cracker. :D
  9. Dec 31, 2009

Marching Admin

A few memorable games I've seen....

FA Cup Semi 2nd Replay at Highbury Mar 26 1970 Leeds 1 (Bremner) Manchester United 0

Division One Feb 19 1971 Leeds 5 (Jones (3), Clarke, Lorimer) Manchester United 1

Premier League Sep 11 1994 Leeds 2 (Deane, Wetherall) Manchester United 1

Premier League Dec 24 1995 Leeds 3 (Deane, Yeboah, McAllister) Manchester United 1

Premier league Sep 27 1997 Leeds 1 (Weatherall) Manchester United 0

Premier League Sep 14 2002 Leeds 1 (Kewell) Manchester United 0
  10. Dec 31, 2009

Amir Full Member

I was wondering who was the unlucky Manchester United fan who has seen so many memorable defeats. Until I saw who posted it. :)
  11. Dec 31, 2009

Magnus Another mad swede

Come on it can´t only have been 95:angel:
  12. Dec 31, 2009

Marching Admin

If that's what floats your boat Magnus ;)
  13. Dec 31, 2009

B Cantona Desperate

Are you attending Marching?
  14. Jan 1, 2010

esmufc14 9 Pages of infractions

I really do hope Leeds can make it back to the Premier League. Our games were always special occassions. Sunday is going to be a fantastic day.
  15. Jan 1, 2010

dicko Full Member

Did Leeds wear white that day? They wore blue and gold until about 1960 when Don revie changed to Real Madrid's all white.

(Sorry about being so pedantic).
  16. Jan 1, 2010

askabob Full Member

I meant in general, Leeds wear white and United red (atleast now). To be honest I have no clue what they wore that first day. Seems like you have it spot on though :)
  17. Jan 1, 2010

BahamaRed Legend

Good post there Bob. In the 60's Leeds were always our main rivals (fanwise). I do think its still a continuation of the Wars of the Roses which is deeply embedded in the psyche of all Lancastrians and Yorkshiremen.
    I've really missed this contest over recent years. Leeds fans were probably the worst I've ever personally witnessed and this of course adds to the rivalry.
    I hope we show no mercy and wallop them good and proper.
  18. Jan 1, 2010

BahamaRed Legend

BOSS - KEEP THE RIVALRY RESPECTFUL

01 Jan 2010

United manager relishing Roses clash..
    [​IMG]

Simon Grayson is calling on the fans of both Leeds United and Manchester United to keep the rivalry respectful when the two sides go head to head at Old Trafford on Sunday.
    The two clubs are set to meet for the first time in almost six years and the FA Cup pairing has re-kindled memories of a true footballing rivalry between two of the games biggest clubs.
    United will be backed by almost 9,000 fans while the game has been equally anticipated across the Pennines by Man United fans looking forward to the prospect of an atmospheric clash at Old Trafford.
    "It's a game I think everyone is looking forward to," said the Leeds boss.
    "We sold 9,000 tickets and could have taken 20,000 and from what I heard at Old Trafford on Wednesday their fans are equally looking forward to the game.
    "It's a great rivalry that dats back through the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s when the two teams were competing with each other on a regular basis. The fact that this is the first time we have met in over five years probably makes it more appealing to supporters.
    "There is a rivalry, and hopefully the banter is to do with football related incidents at this moment in time and nothing is brought up about the past from both sets of supporters.
    "There's been major incidents that have affected both clubs over the years, but hopefully people will concentrate on the present and not what's happened in the past."
    The boss also believes that the game is a clash between two of the biggest clubs in English football, despite the fact that United are currently two divisions below the Reds.
    "It's two massive clubs without a doubt," he insisted.
    "You only have to look at our fans, who are amazing. Like Man U, we have a worldwide fanbase.
    "Our fans have been superb because they have had a lot thrown at them over the past few years or so, but they still sell out every allocation and travel in their 1000s.
    "Sunday is a day for them and I hope they enjoy it and are proud."

Ha. United v Leeds produces the most disrespectful stuff you've ever seen or heard.
  19. Jan 1, 2010

Sultan السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته

Great reading Bob

Such was the rivalry with our Yorkshire neighbours United fans actually disliked Leeds as much or in my case more than Liverpool for a couple of decades. Not being direct rivals and actually being a bit rubbish might have softened the rivalry to some extent, especially amongst the younger fan base.
  20. Jan 2, 2010

Raven Blade Dull

Thats a top quality post. I have some vague memories of our rivalry with Leeds when they were in the Premiership. Those were some tasty encounters against a side with some very good players. Its a shame they are in such a state now because they are a genuinely big club that would benefit the Premier League.

Matches against them are always memorable for one reason or another.