Let's look on the bright side

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Livvie, May 6, 2012.

1. May 6, 2012

Livvie Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn

Someone said that half of Caf members were thick.
    Fergie will tell the Glazers that if we want to compete we have to spend, so we will address all the areas that need addressing, and then we can have the pleasure of taking it off City next year. And we'll hopefully have Vidic back too.

If they win it, that is. It's a funny old game. Who knows what might happen against QPR.
  2. May 6, 2012

Carl has permanently erect nipples

We've got a few positives to take from this season IMO. De Gea, Evans and Welbeck in particular.
  3. May 6, 2012

rcoobc Not as crap as eferyone thinks

The bright side for me is Smalling, Jones, Evans, Rafael, Fabio, Cleverley, Welbeck, De Gea.
  4. May 6, 2012

Cinja el Shagawa Not into French ticklers

The Glazers have been blessed from Fergie in the last 5 or 6 years. Constant trophies and intake of money despite not spendly overly large amounts of cash. Hopefully the money we lost going out of Europe so early this year and the lack of silverware may actually motivate them to give him the money he needs.
  5. May 6, 2012

kouroux Full Member

I don't see what would/could force the glazers to spend.It should have happened last summer and it didn't
  6. May 6, 2012

Gambit Desperately wants to be a Muppet

Problem is we have competed, we may finish the league on the same points as the winners. I don't see major spending occuring.
  7. May 6, 2012

Luminous Lizard Full Member

Not over yet. Anything can happen in football. Given Citys result earlier all we could do is bring it till the last day.
  8. May 6, 2012

omardalvi Full Member

In Kuwait, managing Blackpool. PSN - iAreDalvi
    Honestly, its better we lose the title this season, rather than next season. It was always going to happen sometime, good it happened now, in a season where nothing has gone our way in Europe and in domestic cups, also considering our team was in a transition phase, with injuries. Its just been a piss poor season overall you could say. It would be good if we forgot everything and just look forward to the next season, and hopefully the youngsters could take something from this season, and we won't get so many injuries hopefully, and next season will just be better and good in all aspects.
  9. May 6, 2012

SharkyMcShark Horrified

Using location as a tagline: because I'm just not
    What about Fabio is the bright side of this season? He's played about 10 games.
  10. May 6, 2012

Edmeiste Banned

this
  11. May 6, 2012

Bape Full Member

Unfortunately this is most likely. Fergie had just said we can't compete with the big spenders anyway so we'll look to develop youths instead. I doubt we'll be making a big signing.
  12. May 6, 2012

Rado_N Grinner ruined my tagline

Bright side is we're not City fans.
  13. May 6, 2012

Baby Faced Assassin Pastor of Muppets

We spent £50million last summer. The problem was we strengthened positions that were already decently strong. We didn't adress the midfield issue. Hope that gets addressed this year. Modric & Martinez!
  14. May 6, 2012

DomesticTadpole Full Member

We have to competitive or they will lose money hand over fist. The loan interest is paid on how well we do in Europe etc.
  15. May 6, 2012

Kaos Full Member

Fletcher hasn't recovered, Anderson hasn't impressed, and Cleverley has had fitness problems. We're also resigned to losing Berbatov. Oh and there's the fact that our midfield has been utterly embarrassed by Europa cup fodder.

SAF won't be as this stubborn this time, this transfer window is going to be as busy as its ever been for us.
  16. May 6, 2012

redhoop Full Member

Amen to that!
  17. May 6, 2012

Devilton Banned

The biggest bottle job in English Premier league history...and hopefully the sting of that humiliation will force SAF to demand from the owners the type of reinforcement that we have needed to fight back the progression of damn near every team in the league this season.

I hate the fact we have thrown away the title, but in a way it was destined to happen because complacency had set in...our loss in the champions league, carling cup and FA cup were proof of that.
  18. May 6, 2012

kouroux Full Member

Sorry but for not being cleared but I meant that the spending shoud've been on areas of concern (mainly CM).
    No more attacking player,winger,playmaker please, just sign some CM and a LB
  19. May 6, 2012

Sarni nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

Money isn't the issue. We've had lack of quality in midfield for years and have spent £100m+ in the meantime without addressing the problem.
  20. May 6, 2012

gbgary Full Member

Yup anything can happen...would be a miracle though. Whodathunkit?!
  21. May 6, 2012

We spent £50m last Summer - De Gea was the only player we needed at the time, Jones and Young were luxury signings for a combined fee of £35m.
  22. May 6, 2012

Owners aren't at fault for what happened this season.
  23. May 6, 2012

Randall Flagg Worst of the best

What kind of money does everyone feel we need? I certainly think we need to spend.

But without a sugar daddy, £50M is a hell of a lot. So we may get that amount again. Will that be enough to keep up?
  24. May 6, 2012

redhoop Full Member

I'm feeling pretty sick too but this is just a bit of an exaggeration. I don't think the players are complacent at all - they just fecked up at crucial times. Nerves, stress, injuries, poor substitutions all played their part but the will to win is still there. City, over the piece, and hardly surprisingly, have been better than us. In many ways it is a minor miracle that, while being not at all at our best, we have been able to take it to the last day of the season.
  25. May 6, 2012

Devilton Banned

They aren't. I'm saying they need to act quickly because city have owners who will be bouyed by results this year and spend big to win the champions league next year. So will Abramowich one suspects.

We can't spend like them, but we damn well better not keep looking for value because it won't take long before we're trying to battle for 2nd place. It's happened before to team like Liverpool who went from dominating for a decade to fighting tooth and nail just to remain in the top 4.
  26. May 6, 2012

Jimy_Hills_Chin Desperately wants to be ITK

How will City winning the league enable us to compete at the top end of the transfer market?

I think we are forgetting that we are on level points with City anyway. I think the problem is going to be them spending big on the summer again, on some exceptional talent. Where as we are going to be feeding off the scraps from City, Chelsea, Barca and Real, possibly PSG and Malaga too.
  27. May 6, 2012

Starkie_1 Full Member

They're the most complacent group of players we've had at the club since the 80's. Even the Djemba-Djemba sides had the excuse of being not as good as other teams, these lot ARE as good as City and have proven it. They just slip into comfort zones, as footballers at most run of the mill clubs do. Thats the difference this year, and the coaching staff and the boss himself are as much to blame as every single player.

Saying that, we have a rather large percentage of fans who are probably more guilty of complacency and expectancy.
  28. May 6, 2012

thegregster Harbinger of new information

I think we should front load or spent for the next three summers. We should go all out and spend big on two CMs and a left back this summer. That would leave our squad in a great position for at least five years.

I think we should be aiming to spent around 60mil. Then only small amounts in 2013,2014.
  29. May 6, 2012

Devilton Banned

It wasn't a miracle...we threw it away.

Losing to Blackburn, Wigan...dropping points to Everton.

Poor selections against City.

We got complacent. We thought we'd show up and roll over teams like Bilbao and got handed a footballing lesson.
  30. May 6, 2012

Baby Faced Assassin Pastor of Muppets

Assuming Park, Berba & Macheda (loan) leave. I say we need to sign 2 CM's, a LB & a striker. But I would be happy with just two CM's, as long as atleast one of them is absolutely world class and both are non-English.
  31. May 6, 2012

kouroux Full Member

He wasn't the only needed player, a CM was also vital to sign last summer.
  32. May 6, 2012

VeevaVee despite the protests, wears Ugg boots

A positive to be taken is that next season should be even more exciting.
    United have got a point to prove so it should be interesting. It'll be a tense one all the way that's for sure, considering the blinding start we had at the beginning of this season and how that tailed off we'll never be able to sleep easy. Bring it on I say.

Another is that we've got some very promising, and more importantly young players. Let's hope some already quality players are brought in and we can go from there.
  33. May 6, 2012

Devilton Banned

exactly. We started believing in our own hype...

then teams came to OT, pressed us, harried us and proved we're not as great as we think we are.
  34. May 6, 2012

wr8_utd :'(

Bright side? Owen, Fletcher, Anderson and Cleverley being fully fit will be like 4 new signings at no cost.

Seriously though, we need to buy a CM quite urgently.
  35. May 6, 2012

Livvie Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn

Someone said that half of Caf members were thick.
    It's always been a problem imo. But we usually get away with it. This time we didn't.

Everton and Blackburn will haunt us.

Not so much Wigan because it was at theirs, and they have had some good results.
  36. May 6, 2012

Drainy Full Member

As well as all the young players getting another year under the belt, for all the disappointing performances, the poor quality of football and occasional disastrous results... we managed to equal or better (if we get a point or more next week) the record number of points without winning the title. Very little consolation though.
  37. May 6, 2012

Devilton Banned

We need a top striker, a defensive midfielder (an exceptional one at that), a creative attacking midfielder who can chip in with goals, a left back and probably another utility type player in case Fletcher never comes back the same player he was a few years ago.

We need to ship out a fair few players who aren't going to make it as well.
  38. May 6, 2012

Relevated Moral Guide

We will make some signings like he said so there is no point arguing that we are not getting enough transfer money.
  39. May 6, 2012

SteveJ all-round nice guy

Sorry to bang on about money yet again but...

Mancini is looking at the likes of Bale, Hazard etc as if these potential signings were just a trivial matter of spending 40-50 million quid on each and having his pick of choice players who are available (or even unavailable) - signings which would be unprecedented, blockbusting transfers for us. Chelsea too can afford to spend the equivalent of our entire summer '11 budget on one single player; how this garbage makes for a 'level playing-field' is beyond me...
  40. May 6, 2012

Yes, but we didn't sign one and I picked only from signed players.