Ligue 1 2018-19

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by squiggle, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Apr 27, 2019

LazyRed-Ninja LazyGrammar-Ninja

There is always gratification when a ‘small’ club triumphs against a club like PSG who have basically bought the league.
  2. Apr 28, 2019

Sayros Full Member

There's maybe a reason why there are so many who speak highly of him, he's a great coach. Alves, who is the most decorated professional in history, can't speak highly enough of him and that goes for almost any professional that played for him. That says more to me than whatever 'people' who are just admirer of the game might say about him, positive or negative. Again, I don't see any of PSG's failures as something he has done wrong on a tactical level, he's had many obstacles between not being able to use Rabiot, major injuries to key players, and he's done his part to adapt the team as best as possible, playing some in an unnatural position successfully. The rest is up to the players. There is a losing mentality on that team in the big European games that precedes him and I wouldn't want him to go anywhere but be stuck through and show he's more than just hype.
  3. Apr 28, 2019

el3mel Full Member

Maybe you should have your own opinion instead of just copying whatever someone else said ? I have maintained this opinion on him ever since he was linked to Bayern. Problem with Tuchel is some treated him at this time as the next messiah or someone who has a genius level of philosophy but a difficult person to handle etc. Well this is nonsense for me. Tuchel is a decent coach but just like any hipster who tells his teams to attack and press forward he got extremely overrated beyond his actual abilities as a manager. He's a good manager but that's about it. Not great by any stretch. Evaluating the manager based on their abilities from the start will save them such criticism later on.

This has been an awful season. They didn't do anything new in CL except another bottling job and even ended up losing both domestic cups and just winning the league, which is a total failure for PSG as the league is hardly challenging anyway. He has failed so far with them and his contract is 2+1 so a similar season next year will get him out of the door.
  4. Apr 28, 2019

SCP Full Member

Supports:
    Sporting Clube Portugal
    I am sorry but the opinion of a player is more accurate than yours or mine, another thing is winning, if he won the match you would say what? He is less overrated? Anyway he is going to stay one more season.
  5. Apr 28, 2019

el3mel Full Member

Accurate or not you should develop your opinion otherwise discussions in general will be pointless, well and no, not all players opinions are accurate. There are many ridiculous ex players and managers opinions about football in general. It happens.

Surely if he had won both cups at least he wouldn't have been slaughtered? Last 5 seasons they had won both cups 4 of them and won the league 4 times out of 5. When they end up losing both while not even making any progress in CL anyway and just win the league, that's not supposed to be a problem with the current manager? That has been an awful season from all perspective.

What are the standards managers of a dominating club playing in a far inferior league should be evaluating at? Playing good football? Yeah they will surely play good football when you are facing dross week in week out. I am sure they didn't hire him for that. Actually they didn't hire him to win the league too anyway.
  6. Apr 28, 2019

SCP Full Member

Supports:
    Sporting Clube Portugal
    Yes good football should be one. Developing young players even being on a rich club should be another. Loooking at the game today and to see even losing the game did they really played that badly?

If everytime a President or Owner reacted like " Ah well we lost he is shit and overrated, sack this one, Qatar pays the bill lets bring the next winner".

Of course he has to be judged, but we can all here be discussing the what ifs in Football, If on the Champions League they didn't awarded that penalty. If they converted the many chances they had. If they didn't missed their chances today.

Now don't get me wrong, there are reasons to say some results should have been better, but if today they won it would be a similar season to others they had, don't know why every season they should be amongst the favourites for the Champions League, maybe they need to change the mentality there, don't know.
  7. Apr 28, 2019

kouroux 45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Just like at Man United, a big part of the blame is on the players as well. Tuchel did try a few interesting things by including PSG youth players early in the season but step by step, he froze many of them out.

Weirdly, Rennes are owned by one of the richest men in France but is much smaller than PSG indeed
  8. Apr 28, 2019

SCP Full Member

Supports:
    Sporting Clube Portugal
    Also failed with Kehrer, don't know who had the idea to bring Buffon, and looking now it was stupid to let lo Celso go to Betis, unless they had problems with FFP. They simply don't look like they have leadership, unless Thiago Silva is one, don't imagine Dani Alves or Neymar as being role models there, maybe I am wrong. Even today Mbappe lost his head.
  9. Apr 28, 2019

kouroux 45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

They never needed Buffon and he cost them in the CL. It's really hard to pinpoint what's wrong with them but the moment teams stop being scared of them, they lose their heads
  10. Apr 28, 2019

el3mel Full Member

I doubt PSG hired him to develop youth or play good football in an inferior league. They hired him to keep the domestic dominance over league and cups and make them progress farther in CL after the shite ton they spent on players like Neymar and Mbappe. This season he has failed miserably and another similar season he will be gone before he even realizes.
  11. Apr 28, 2019

squiggle Full Member

Supports:
    Ligue 1, Arsenal
    I like PSG and had been supporting them in the CL but this is very good for Ligue 1.
  12. Apr 28, 2019

Sayros Full Member

Maybe you should take a break, this is obviously something that's triggering you. It is my opinion from seeing how he has set up the team, seeing how Marquinhos has been reconverted at times as a DM by necessity and actually doing a decent job there, seeing how he has integrated youngsters like Dagba and Diarra, how the team responds to him as a coach, and how he's tried to manage an absolutely devastating injury crisis the best he could. Bottlejobs like what PSG has done goes beyond the coach. Personally, I don't really care what other people's opinions are on it, but when professional players reflect my impression of him, it makes a bit more of an effect of validation compared to listening to your opinion on it which seems to be rooted in a bit of negative bias because he's a 'hipster' choice, or tells his team to attack. That's really basic, child-like analysis of why he is considered a good coach. The reasons are above and reflected in other posters' assessment of him.

You sound like one of those Mourinho apologist who is still outraged he got the boot and thinks anyone who likes an attacking coach doesn't know football. Who cares if some treated him like a Messiah, you're taking the opinion of a tiny minority and are trying to apply it to the general reason why he is overrated, it's just nonsense.
  13. Apr 28, 2019

el3mel Full Member

Congratulations. You just succeeded in turning this into another "Mourinho apologists" insulting a post because you don't have a clue how can someone have a different opinion on a manager than you. If you didn't notice, I just posted a replay here and you are the one who actually got "triggered" because a favorite manager of your got insulted and decided to replay on me, so yeah I'm not the one who got "triggered" in this discussion.

Discussing anything on this forum has become god awful. You need to say certain things otherwise you will be either labeled apologist or agenda driven by posters like you. One should just post his opinion and ignore the replays from now on.
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  14. Apr 28, 2019

Hoof The Ball Full Member

Can we just stop for a moment and enjoy the fact that Sitoe channeled Roy Keane vs. Juve for their second goal?

"Full steam ahead, Rennes!"

15. Apr 30, 2019

Mrs Smoker Full Member

Supports:
    Panthère du Ndé
    Aaaaand another one.
  16. May 3, 2019

Adam-Utd Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Watching Strasbourg v Marseille. Strasbourg have a chant using the popeye the sailor man tune, what songs it for? It’s very catchy.
  17. May 18, 2019 at 20:32

haram Full Member

Not a penalty. Ref gives it, VAR tells him to check the screen. He checks it and still gives the pen :lol:

Dembele misses the pen anyway.
  18. May 18, 2019 at 20:33

FootballHQ Full Member

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    Huge lead for Monaco, the Amiens keeper did chuck the header in. Thought Falcao was fouling the defender aswell.
  19. May 18, 2019 at 20:46

Art Art the artist

Pepe. We could do with him.
  20. May 18, 2019 at 21:06

DomesticTadpole Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

Memphis gives Lyon the lead against Caen.
  21. May 18, 2019 at 21:11

Cornet gets second for Lyon.
  22. May 18, 2019 at 21:20

Dembele makes it 3-0.
  23. May 18, 2019 at 21:21

Zoo Full Member

I’d happily bin Lukaku and bring in Moussa Dembele
  24. May 18, 2019 at 21:30

Zoo Full Member

Cracking goal on the counter from Memphis.
  25. May 18, 2019 at 21:30

Memphis with his second. 4-0. Brilliant counter attacking.
  26. May 20, 2019 at 08:09

LiquidSnake New Member

He's a young nice player. It was kind of hard for him at the beggining but he found some form late in the season.

I think he's a way less headcase than Mariano but he has the same problems with the whole team. He has pure "old school" number 9 strengths that the whole Lyon team seems not want to/capable of working with to the fullest IMHO (aka Memphis in number 9 role).

Young, powerfull while being skillfull and a team player... Everything Romelu was supposed to be :nervous::nervous:

Definitely would wait another season but to me he's clearly capable of being a 35 goals a year striker in a team like Lyon, and I can easily see him taking the Giroud role in national team.

Tomorrow there will be the beggining of the barrage with the first Ligue 2 clash between Paris FC (4th) against Lens (5th). I really hope Paris will go up and have 2 parisians clubs in Ligue 1... or at least one real :drool::lol:
  27. May 20, 2019 at 20:09

FootballHQ Full Member

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    Fekir seems to have had a quiet season. Wonder if he'll push for a move again, could've easily been playing in a CL final so will probably look at that.
  28. May 20, 2019 at 22:08

Champagne Football Full Member

Ligue 1 Team of the year 2018/2019

GK: Mike Maignan (Lille)
    RB: Kenny Lala (RC Strasbourg)
    CB: Thiago Silva (Paris Saint-Germain)
    CB: Marquinhos (Paris Saint-Germain)
    LB: Ferland Mendy (Olympique Lyon)
    CM: Tanguy Ndombele (Olympique Lyon)
    CM: Marco Verratti (Paris Saint-Germain)
    CM: Angel Di Maria (Paris Saint-Germain)
    RW: Nicolas Pepe (Lille)
    LW: Neymar (Paris Saint-Germain)
    FW: Kylian Mbappe (Paris Saint-Germain)

Manager of the Year - Christophe Galtier (Lille)
  29. May 21, 2019 at 22:42

DocRockter Full Member

FC Paris out and Lens goes against Troyes in relegation..
  30. May 22, 2019 at 21:28

FootballHQ Full Member

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    Lens back in top flight is well overdue.

They remind me a lot of us. Similar type of ground, different kit, passionate fans and when I first followed football in late 90s they were in europe every single season, had a good run to SF of 99/00 Uefa cup when Arsenal knocked them out.