1. Draft game threads in the Football Forum have been moved to a new Draft Games Forum. This is to keep the Football Forum more on topic.
    Dismiss Notice

Ligue 1 | French Football 2017/18

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by bucky, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Jul 9, 2017

bucky Full Member

Time for the new thread. So far there has been less movement than I expected. Especially Nice have kept more players than I thought.

First Monaco. Do they have a chance to retain their title? I think so. They've signed talented players in Tielemans, Kongolo and Jordy Gaspar. Rony Lopes and Allan Saint-Maximin return from loan to bolster the squad. The biggest loss so far is obviously Bernardo Silva. Germain and Dirar are other noticeable players that have moved on. The most important thing is how many players they manage to keep. Will both Bakayoko and Fabinho still be there, when the new season starts? Currently they are looking to keep Mbappe and Lemar. If they manage to do it, it will definitely be better than any signing they could possibly make. Almamy Toure, Jorge, N'Doram, Diallo and Boschilia could be the next breakout stars. Jardim has proven himself as one of the finest coaches around Europe, especially when it comes to developing young players.

Will PSG bounce back? So far their best known signing is Berchiche (Real Sociedad), a LB. The Verratti saga hasn't helped. But there are bright spots like Kimpembe in their squad and they have several other talented players in their team. Who's going to be sold? Aurier? Lucas Moura? Trapp? Areola? Krychowiak? Di Maria? It remains to be seen, who they are going to sign and it looks like they need someone like James or Alexis Sanchez to improve the mood around the club. Times are changing and Emery has a difficult season ahead of him.

Nice's major departures are Ricardo Pereira, who's going back to Porto, and Baysse, who has signed for Malaga. They've signed Lees-Melou from Djion, who is one to look out for. Question marks remain whether they can keep all their players. Seri and Dalbert have been rumoured with moves to Barcelona and Inter respectively. More than anything they need Cyprien to be the same, when he recovers from his ACL injury. Being able to keep Favre should ensure that no decline will happen.

Possibly the biggest changes have been made by Lyon. They've lost their 2 best midfielders in Tolisso and Gonalons. Furthermore the sale of Lacazette to Arsenal will be hard to compensate. But players like Tousart, Mammana and Diakhaby are bright spots. However, their spine and mainly their midfield needs reinforcement in form of experience, otherwise OL could be looking at a similar season or worse. If N'Koulou could rediscover his form somewhat from his Marseille days, then it would aid their team massively. Lyon most likely shouldn't gamble on it though. Fekir and Memphis are players who need to deliver on early promise in their careers. Notable new signings are Bertrand Traore, Marcal and Mariano Diaz. None of them has the experience that they so desperately need though. Probably the biggest question mark remains on their coach Genesio, who if anything has taken the club backwards.

Will Marseille, lead by Rudi Garcia, be able to break into France's current top 4?

Other players to look out for:
    Marseille: Sanson, Thauvin, Maxime Lopez
    Bordeaux: Malcolm, Sabaly, Guilbert, Vada | Ounas has left the club for Napoli
    Nantes: Amine Harit
    Saint-Etienne: Ronal Pierre Gabriel, Diony
    Rennes: Maouassa, Gnagnon,
    Lille: Maignan, Soumaoro, Luiz Araujo
    Toulouse: Lafont, Diop, Jullien
    Metz: Didillon
    Montpellier: Mukiele, Lecomte, Skhiri
    Dijon: Abeid
    Caen: Karamoh

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ligue-1/transfers/wettbewerb/FR1/saison_id/2017
  2. Jul 9, 2017

Ecstatic Full Member

Supports:
    PsG
    Members for 2017–18

The following 20 clubs compete in the 2017–18 Ligue 1 season.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    2017: Cavani
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  3. Jul 9, 2017

Peyroteo Professional Ronaldo PR Guy

Supports:
    Sporting CP
    Monaco and PSG still have plenty of uncertainties in their squad so it's tough to pick a winner but Monaco having only let go of Bernardo is a good sign. Hopefully their style of football remains as entertaining as last season because it was a treat to watch them.

Looking forward to seeing how Bielsa does at Lille too. It's always entertaining with him.
  4. Jul 9, 2017

SCP Full Member

Supports:
    Sporting Clube Portugal
    It will be really interesting to know what players will PSG bring, how many Monaco will keep, and I predict Marseille and Lille will have better squads to compete, not so sure about Lyon or Nice, but I don't know why, I have the sensation the overall level of Ligue 1 will get better, and it will not be only this season.
  5. Jul 9, 2017

ADJUDICATOR FULL MEMBER

Supports:
    THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
    Yep, feels like exciting time for Ligue 1.
  6. Jul 9, 2017

Devil may care Full Member Verified Moaner

Looking forward to watching Monaco, they were great last season and I'm curious to see how Tielemans does in a better league, hopefully they can keep Lemar and Mbappe to mount a proper title defense.

Not sure how a post-Lacazette Lyon will do as he's been the bulk scorer for them for the last 3 seasons, and Marseille seemed poised for some serious investment but I've not seen a lot coming in that makes me think they can mount a challenge. Nice are hard to predict, they could do a Leicester IMO and not having Cyprien ready for the start of the season is a huge blow.

PSG will be favourites as always even with a wantaway Verratti, I'm sure they'll make one big attacking signing before the season starts and they'll be expecting a big first full season out of Draxler.
  7. Jul 9, 2017

NYAS Full Member

I'm expecting Marçal to have a good season.
  8. Jul 9, 2017

SCP Full Member

Supports:
    Sporting Clube Portugal
    It will be interesting to see the squad Lille will build with Bielsa coaching and Campos scouting, if not for the results, at least the quality of football will be good.
  9. Jul 9, 2017

Ecstatic Full Member

Supports:
    PsG
    Dani Alves is in the process of being seduced by PSG

34-year-old Brazilian right-back Dani Alves is in the process of being seduced by PSG over a move, according to Le Parisien.

PSG Sporting Director Antero Henrique has in recent days launched an enormous charm offensive, and is on the verge of convincing Dani Alves to join the capital club.

The French outlet claims that although a deal is very close and that Les Parisiens are optimistic about a deal occurring, Alves is still hesitating between Manchester City and PSG.

Henrique’s discourse and the better quality of life in Paris could be what tips it into the Ligue 1 side’s favour.

Grzegorz Krychowiak wants to stay at PSG

Polish international defensive midfielder Grzegorz Krychowiak has decided that he wants to stay at PSG, according to L’Équipe.

Krychowiak, who has rejected two considerable offers from La Liga, wants to fight for his place in Unai Emery’s team.

Krychowiak intends to be on PSG’s pre-season tour and he is currently already in the States on holiday with his wife.

Official | Kévin Malcuit quits St Étienne for Lille for around €8.5m

Lille have completed the signing of St Étienne right-back Kévin Malcuit for a fee believed to be €8.5m. The Frenchman has signed a five-year deal with the club and becomes Lille’s eleventh new recruit this window.

Malcuit impressed last term with ASSE as he made 25 Ligue 1 appearances – recording three assists, he was also a prominent part of the team’s Coupe de Ligue and Europa League campaigns.

The former AS Monaco man said, “I’m happy to be here wearing this shirt, I look forward to being on the pitch and evolving by working with Marcelo Bielsa. He is a great coach known throughout the world, who knows how to develop his players and push them to their limits.”
  10. Jul 9, 2017

Damien Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin) Staff

Will free up the departure of Aurier if true though not sure where he'd go to. Meunier will be pissed if it does happen - managed to become a starter only to go one step backwards in the pecking order the following season before it even began.
  11. Jul 9, 2017

Ecstatic Full Member

Supports:
    PsG
    Globo says the rumour is false while L'équipe says there are discussions for a 2-year-contract.
  12. Jul 9, 2017

WhoDaGOAT Banned

Marseille are good outside bet to win Ligue 1. Their squad is pretty good now.
  13. Jul 9, 2017

Lay Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Do Marseille have a rich owner?
  14. Jul 9, 2017

Jib Full Member

15. Jul 9, 2017

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87 New Member

Supports:
    Arsenal
    It's difficult for Monaco to repeat themselves after last season. First, they sold one of their best players and are in danger of losing both Mbappe and Lemar. Second, everyone knows how to play them by now.
  16. Jul 10, 2017

Ecstatic Full Member

Supports:
    PsG
  17. Jul 10, 2017

kouroux 45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Lille and Marseille will be interesting teams to watch.
  18. Jul 10, 2017

Ecstatic Full Member

Supports:
    PsG
    Marseille has recruited Germain and Gustavo but have lost their best scorer Gomis. They are about to sign Mandanda and Rami.

I expect them to be stronger defensively and to fight for the 3rd place.
  19. Jul 10, 2017

bucky Full Member

Tete has signed for OL. Could be one of the bargains of the summer.

20. Jul 10, 2017

Supports:
    Arsenal
    Lol!
  21. Jul 10, 2017

squiggle Full Member

Supports:
    Ligue 1, Arsenal
    If they get Giroud that should be a big step up. [​IMG]
  22. Jul 10, 2017

Ecstatic Full Member

Supports:
    PsG
    Indeed, a 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 system with Giroud & Germain upfront could work well.
  23. Jul 10, 2017

SCP Full Member

Supports:
    Sporting Clube Portugal
    Any news about Gil Dias and Ronny Lopes performance during Monaco pre season?
  24. Jul 10, 2017

Ecstatic Full Member

Supports:
    PsG
    @JPRouve is our Monaco follower :)
  25. Jul 10, 2017

Supports:
    Arsenal
    P.S.G. want both Coutinho and James.
  26. Jul 10, 2017

SCP Full Member

Supports:
    Sporting Clube Portugal
    More easy to get James, Coutinho more expensive and why they would need both?
  27. Jul 10, 2017

SCP Full Member

Supports:
    Sporting Clube Portugal
    Forgot about that 1 :)
  28. Jul 10, 2017

bucky Full Member

From Nantes to:

29. Jul 10, 2017

JPRouve can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate

Gil Dias started on the left against Rapid Vienna and he assisted Lopes who was on the right in a 442. Lopes was his usual self, obvious talent but he needs to do more and Gil was very direct and a good runner with the ball.
  30. Jul 10, 2017

SCP Full Member

Supports:
    Sporting Clube Portugal
    Probably 1 of the 2 will stay, maybe Lopes, Gil needs to play more, actually with less hype but I rate more Gil than Lopes, thanks mate. :)
  31. Jul 11, 2017

SCP Full Member

Supports:
    Sporting Clube Portugal
    So, Marseille now looks is going to sign Rami, with Thauvin, Luis Gustavo, Maxime Lopez, Germain, Cabella, Evra or Payet, and Rudi Garcia coaching them, it looks they will at least fight for top 3 this season, good news for french football, they have a large fanbase, good stadium, the level this year in France will improve imo.
  32. Jul 11, 2017

Supports:
    Arsenal
    Didn't know about Louis Nicollin. Very sad news. He was a fantastic character :(
  33. Jul 11, 2017

He died at the restaurant, the day of his birthday.
  34. Jul 11, 2017

On paper Lyon and Nice are far better than Marseille.
  35. Jul 11, 2017

Supports:
    Arsenal
    Yeah, such a terrible way to die :(
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  36. Jul 11, 2017

SCP Full Member

Supports:
    Sporting Clube Portugal
    Hmm, until 2/3 weeks ago I would agree with you, but watching the new players at Marseille, and the players who left Lyon, correct me if I am missing something, has Nice improved their squad?

The only thing I know is Ricardo Pereira will play for Porto, don't know much about the movements in the market by Nice, but don't see no reason for Marseille to be scared by Nice or Lyon, lets see what Garcia can do.
  37. Jul 11, 2017

BBRBB Full Member

Supports:
    Paris Saint-Germain
    It's good to see L1 on the rise, many teams are reinforcing and the top places will be hard fought. We can also expect some better performances in Europe.
  38. Jul 11, 2017

Supports:
    Arsenal
    Hopefully Lyon and Marseille can join Monaco and P.S.G. in the title race.
  39. Jul 11, 2017

BBRBB Full Member

Supports:
    Paris Saint-Germain
    Lille and Nice can also do well. I still expect a clear title win for PSG.
  40. Jul 11, 2017

SCP Full Member

Supports:
    Sporting Clube Portugal
    PSG clearly favourite, lets see if Monaco doesn't sell anyone until the end of the market, from Lille I expect atractive football, but as a typical Bielsa team they will run out of gas when they reach end of season, Nice I don't know if they will keep the same level of last season, Lyon actually don't expect a lot from them, my bet for revelation of the season will be Marseille, good coach and a good mix between experienced players, and promising players like Lopez or Thauvin.