Louis van Gaal | Manchester United manager

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by MoneyMay, May 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nov 28, 2014

Empire Full Member

Falcao is likely to be in the 18 so if we go two goals up I can definitely see him coming on.
  2. Nov 28, 2014

mazhar13 Full Member

I don't think he's looking for a certain formation for us to play with. This explains why he started us off with a 3-4-1-2 but then went into a 4-4-2 diamond before using a defensive 4-3-3 (midfield point back and wingers deeper).

What I do notice is that his style of footballing is starting to be better-implemented even if the situations we've gone through have affected our attacking performances. We've also become much more flexible in our attacking shape, often switching between a back 3 to a back 4 with midfielders/strikers drifting out wide.

His "formation" will depend on the personnel that he has, but the style of play and flexibility will be a constant regardless of the personnel on the pitch.
  3. Nov 29, 2014

ricky-romeo Full Member

hope so. and start of good things for him as well.
  4. Nov 29, 2014

KiD MoYeS Good Craig got his c'nuppins

Just saw his press conference, I think he's great. I really too. I'm really enjoying his presence here. For now, I'd count myself as a big van Gaal fan.
  5. Nov 29, 2014

.Rossi ever get that feeling of déjà vu?

He just feels like a Manchester United manager.....Which is why I'm having a hard time picking holes in his tenure so far.

It's just so refreshing compared to last year.
  6. Nov 29, 2014

Manucho the boss New Member

Would be great to see some signs of us developing our attacking game this weekend. Now that we're through our "test" as VG called it (Chelsea, city and Arsenal) I'd like to see us pick a more exciting line up, maybe leave Fellaini out, and try create more chances. We haven't been managing many shots on goal recently.
  7. Nov 29, 2014

bosnian_red Worst scout to ever exist

Nah I think it'll definitely be a classic 4-3-3, with 2 wingers/inside forwards on the wings flanking a striker (Di Maria, Rooney and one other), and then a midfield three with Strootman, Herrera and Blind or something along those lines. Don't think he's a huge fan of the diamond considering it leaves plenty of gaps defensively because of the lack of wingers covering at the back.
  8. Nov 29, 2014

MDFC Manager Full Member

It's great that, due to one reason or another, we can now play 2-3 very different formations. Should hold us in good stead going forward.

I do hope that a 433 becomes our primary system though.

Its great isn't it. He's relaxed and seems to know exactly what he's doing, and that confidence is rubbing off on everyone at the club and the supporters (most of us anyway).
  9. Nov 29, 2014

Pexbo has never watched Star Wars

4-3-3 requires 2 new top class wingers, doesn't accommodate Rooney in his best position, doesn't accomodate 2 strikers (do we sell RVP and not buy Falcao?) doesnt allow for Di Maria in his best position, and requiees a new type of midfielder which then asks the question of what to do with Herrera, Mata, Fellaini and doesn't fit Januzaj in because let's be honest, he's no winger.

If we were building a squad from scratch fair enough he might go 4-3-3 but the last formation the current squad accomodates is 4-3-3. It would require so many players out of position or new players to be successful.
  10. Nov 29, 2014

Empire Full Member

----------- De Gea -----------
    Valencia - Smalling - Rojo - Young
    -----------Carrick------------
    --Fellaini----------Mata
    -------------RVP
    -----di Maria ------ Rooney
  11. Nov 29, 2014

Empire Full Member

Scrap that plan looks like Angel di Maria is injured already...
  12. Nov 29, 2014

arthurka Full Member

He needs to get his head out of his ass, Rvp wouldn't start for Fulham..
    Wilson should get the nod over him any day of the week..
  13. Nov 29, 2014

Xaviesta Full Member

Supports:
    Barcelona
    Falcao should if he's fit.
  14. Nov 29, 2014

arthurka Full Member

And Wilson... Rvp is mildly putting it terrible
  15. Nov 29, 2014

Kraftwerker Formerly RedAddict

Got to say, this is the philosophy we should be building towards.

Line-up needs tweaked, but you have to love the utter domination and penetration in our play. More more more.
  16. Nov 29, 2014

Empire Full Member

Some people…

If a player picks up a knock just let him rest, next you will be criticising him for taking Angel di Maria off.
  17. Nov 29, 2014

2cents Full Member Scout

Yeah it's starting to come together now. Get any one of Herrera, Mata, Falcao or even Wilson in the line-up regularly in place of RVP and we're set.
  18. Nov 29, 2014

arthurka Full Member

Why? He isnt shit, Rvp is..
  19. Nov 29, 2014

Empire Full Member

Well Louis van Gaal disagrees, he thinks RVP is low on confidence and also he is of the opinion it is not worth risking making the knock wilson picked up in training worse or bringing Falcao back not in accordance with the advice of his medical team just to please you.

Personally I think not playing Wilson or starting Falcao is wise as was taking off Angel di Maria.

Some of our fans are embarrassing, somebody else likened RVP to Torres, he should be replaced in the first team when we have fit players in those positions if he doesn't step it up but he will as he is still a top player who is in a bad run of form, Louis van Gaal says he needs a wonder goal for his confidence and he might get it today, I agree, he looks like he really wants it out there, he has got an assist already, I want him to regain his top form but I seem to be in the minority with the amount of people who want to sell him.

Surely fans should respect the players of the club especially one who was instrumental to us winning our 20th title in our great manager's final season?
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  20. Nov 29, 2014

Ixion Full Member

With Moyes you never felt we were developing or he had any real plan for us, just to try and immitate Sir Alex's style, even though Van Gaal has had a similar start in terms of results to Moyes you can see the difference, his philosphy, the play style we're moving towards, he says the right things etc. Love him.
  21. Nov 29, 2014

Sam New Member

Spot on. The difference is night and day.
  22. Nov 29, 2014

OneUnited24 Full Member

Exactly.

Under LvG you've seen some good (sometimes great) football in small passages. I'm talking about 20, 30 or 40 minutes but never anything so sustained. Today we were like that for the entire game, as each game passes the team seem to be more tuned with what LvG wants and that can only lead us back to the top. Only two issues today - 1) the number of injuries we seem to be getting after each game and 2) how we didnt create as many chances as we should have.
  23. Nov 29, 2014

KeninDC Rest in Peace

Think we're at the end of the beginning of the LvG era. A 90 minute performance with movement and everyone solid on the ball. Also, getting Fellani, Young and Valencia to look like real players again is great to see. LvG has dealt with some tough issues this year, and it looks like the team is poised to go on a much-needed run of form.
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  24. Nov 29, 2014

arthurka Full Member

Nothing against Rvp and I think he's in a need of a break.. But he isnt firing on all so others should get the nod..
  25. Nov 29, 2014

togg Full Member

Has the presence of a united manager, talks like a united manager (I mean sometimes it was impossible to understand Fergie to) and is upfront like a united manager. I've never doubted him for one second and even though we'll probably have some ups and downs, today I could see his "philosophy" beginning to take shape.

I absolutely loved how, when asked if last weeks win against arsenal would be the platform for improvement, he replied in words to the effect of 'no, because we played like shite....'
  26. Nov 29, 2014

Sandikan aka sex on the beach

I hope you felt embarrassed when he smashed that goal in today :lol:
  27. Nov 29, 2014

surf Full Member

He never seems fazed by injuries. He makes an adjustment and the team gets on with it. Flexible coach, flexible players.
  28. Nov 29, 2014

arthurka Full Member

Why? His overall play was shit.. Even if he smacked that shot.. Falcao was more involved in those 15min..
  29. Nov 29, 2014

MDFC Manager Full Member

Yup, that's part of his plan isn't it. Multiple players can play all play multiple systems. Its a good direction to take to improve us for the future.
  30. Nov 29, 2014

Empire Full Member

Firstly no he wasn't, RVP was actually very involved although he made a few errors to begin with, also Falcao missed his chance. An important part of a strikers game is scoring goals, RVP can be nowhere near his best and score goals like the one he did today so imagine when he is on form and at his best.

To state he would not start for Fulham is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.
  31. Nov 29, 2014

#07 makes new threads with tweets in the OP

32. Nov 29, 2014

daniel9988 Full Member

Falcao isn't match fit and RVP isn't playing well but match fit. So RVP would probably start.
  33. Nov 29, 2014

arthurka Full Member

Ok i guess he has been fantastic lately... Even a striker at Fulham could manage to touch the ball 12 times vs Arsenal...
  34. Nov 29, 2014

[​IMG]

From LVG's tactics book it seems his intention was always to play a diamond today.
  35. Nov 29, 2014

jeff_goldblum Full Member

We always were, weren't we? Before Di Maria got injured I thought we looked like

---Rooney--Di Maria---
    ----------RVP-----------
    ----Mata----Fellaini----
    --------Carrick----------

and then Di Maria went off, RVP moved up top, Mata moved into the #10 position and Herrera slotted into midfield.
  36. Nov 29, 2014

DJ Jeff Not so Jazzy

Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
    Confirms my suspicion that we only played 2 defenders today and Carrick was playing some sort of libero role.
  37. Nov 29, 2014

Empire Full Member

:lol:

I am not sure why you are a football fan, please go and support Liverpool, your reaction is RAWK like.

God forbid Carrick has a bad game or goes through some bad form, you will be calling for him to retire.

Bottom line is that RVP has shut you up, he has shown that he is not completely finished and there is still the possibility he can regain the goal scoring form he has shown over the last two seasons.
  38. Nov 29, 2014

Empire Full Member

Well the wide players in a diamond perform like wing backs, the defensive midfielder sits so if need be he can always drop back to make an extra centre back temporarily until the wide players regain position.

I think with Shaw and Rafael they too will be attacking down the flank and then look to recover and get back to defend, the DM must be intelligent to know when to sit back, when to drop deeper, when to sit in front of the centre backs (i.e when the full backs regain position) and also when to join the attack.
  39. Nov 29, 2014

40. Nov 29, 2014

Timdbro Full Member

Is it me, or does that also say Van Persie at the tip of the diamond, with Rooney and Di Maria a nominal front two?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.