Luciano Acosta

Discussion in 'Transfer Forum' started by Giggsyking, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Apr 9, 2019

Giggsyking Full Member

24 years old Argentinian attacking midfielder being recommended by Rooney who plays alongside him in DC united.
    The midfielder is flattered by our interest. Our scouts watched him this season.
    He is small but he has quick feet.

2. Apr 9, 2019

Lash Full Member

Supports:
    Millwall, Saint-Etienne
    built like a slightly smaller Aguero.

Looks pretty nifty. There are some interesting prospects in the MLS, especially now seeing how Almiron seemed to adapt well. Barco would be another one to look out for.
  3. Apr 9, 2019

devilish Juventus fan who used to support United

He looks like an Under 16
  4. Apr 9, 2019

Hernandez - BFA The Way to Fly

Barco is a FIFA 19 Career Mode gem.
    I’ve always wondered how good he is in real life.
  5. Apr 9, 2019

Thomas Hunter New Member

Maybe to replace Mata but Id rather see Julian Brandt as cm/cam
  6. Apr 9, 2019

SportingCP96 Full Member

Supports:
    Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Has yet to really make an impact in the MLS but he is still young though.
  7. Apr 9, 2019

SportingCP96 Full Member

Supports:
    Acosta is not good enough for EPL but probably the tier under like the dutch, Portuguese, or French league.
  8. Apr 9, 2019

Wednesday at Stoke Full Member

Supports:
    Time Travel
    It would be extremely hard for a 24 year old AM to make a step up from the MLS to the PL. For one, the amount of time and space on the ball would be a fraction of what he is used to seeing.
  9. Apr 9, 2019

Lash Full Member

Supports:
    Millwall, Saint-Etienne
    Yeah, same with FM!
    I don't think he's setting the world alight, but he moved when he was 18/19. I'd expect to see some more of him in the next few years.

Yeah, I find it extremely hard to translate from the MLS, so I'll take your word for it!
  10. Apr 9, 2019

BrianMcClair'sBarnet Full Member

He looks a decent talent but the level of quality opposition obviously needs to be taken into account.
    I mean,this is a League which is making a past it Wayne Rooney look great.
  11. Apr 9, 2019

SportingCP96 Full Member

Supports:
    Josef Martínez, Acosta, Carlos Vela, Pity Martinez, Efrain Alvarez(potentially) among a few others are players with quality to play in the second tier leagues in Europe but I don’t see any of them being able to jump from MLS to EPL and have immediate success. I think using another team as a bases to show their quality in Europe is a smarter career move and allows the bigger clubs to keep closer tabs.

Me personally I would love Josef Martínez at Sporting.
  12. Apr 9, 2019

Eleven-Eighteen Full Member

A smaller Aguero is basically a dwarf, though, no? :drool:
  13. Apr 9, 2019

Ish Lights on for Luke

Nice highlights, but most probably the above.
  14. Apr 9, 2019

Dolf Full Member

24 years old and still playing in the MLS? Must be a reason for that.
  15. Apr 9, 2019

Wednesday at Stoke Full Member

Supports:
    Time Travel
    I think Vela can do well if he can stay healthy while playing at the intensity of the PL but unfortunately with Vela, health is a big IF.
  16. Apr 9, 2019

SportingCP96 Full Member

Supports:
    I agree that’s the only reason Vela is on that list because he most certainty has the talent to play at a top level.
  17. Apr 9, 2019

BBRBB Full Member

Supports:
    Paris Saint-Germain
    He travelled to Paris on deadline day to sign for PSG in january but the transfer didn't happen.
  18. Apr 9, 2019

SportingCP96 Full Member

Supports:
    Don't think that is a sign of his quality when you see that PSG also bought Chopo-Moting.
  19. Apr 9, 2019

BBRBB Full Member

Supports:
    Paris Saint-Germain
    Choupo was a free transfer, is on 20k/w and was known by Tuchel to be positive for the locker room.

Also since Acosta didn't sign we can't be sure of how real the interest was.
  20. Apr 9, 2019

IFC 1905 Full Member

Im Argentine and don't even know who this guy is.

I know Barco and he's good tbh but not a future world class player.
  21. Apr 9, 2019

SportingCP96 Full Member

Supports:
    Waste of 20K a week:lol::lol:
  22. Apr 9, 2019

BBRBB Full Member

Supports:
    Paris Saint-Germain
    He's still better than every Portuguese striker since Pauleta. :p
    Not that it's saying much.
  23. Apr 9, 2019

SportingCP96 Full Member

Supports:
    He could never score the goal EDER did:angel::devil::devil:

On a serious note though you are 90% correct with that statement but I would say Andre Silva is better then him.

Nonetheless though useless player for PSG to get...did you see that miss on sunday?
  24. Apr 9, 2019

SparkedIntoLife Full Member

I don't know this player but is there any chance he's being underrated on account of being a 24 year old in the MLS rather than his actual ability? Player development isn't always easy to predict. In the past, several top players have emerged from obscurity in their mid 20s and gone on to being absolutely top drawer. If Rooney is recommending him, surely you'd think someone like our Wayne would know a good player when he sees one.

If he's going to come cheaply and can be a good, hungry squad player for us, I don't see the problem. We will probably need another backup attacking midfielder with Mata seemingly leaving. I have to say that Acosta's video was very impressive; albeit in a far weaker league. His composure in possession seems excellent.
  25. Apr 9, 2019

Tarrou Full Member

would get destroyed in the PL I reckon but you never know
  26. Apr 9, 2019

deadrevelz New Member

Looks technically gifted but probably too slow for PL. The quality of defending in those clips was also atrocious. I would be very surprised if we had real interest in this guy. Maybe he could succeed in a slower European league like Portugal or France?
  27. Apr 9, 2019

Ekeke Full Member

Looks like he has talent but its a weak league, who knows how he'd do in a stronger one
  28. Apr 9, 2019

SAFMUTD Full Member

MLS is really a farmers league, any player could score 40+ goals per season and wouldn’t impress me.

Players like Giovinco, Vela who couldn’t make a career in europe, destroy the league week in and week out. Others like Rooney and Zlatan who are done at top level do the same.

Being Mexican I watch the Concachampions, the champions league version for North America, and the MLS teams always get destroyed by the mexican teams.

Last year their top team was Toronto, who lost to Chivas who is in relegation spots in Liga Mx, this year their best team was Kansas city who just lost 5-0 to Monterrey.

It has exposure since is the USA, but really a farmers league, I wouldn’t waste time scouting players there.
  29. Apr 9, 2019

Himannv Full Member

We never have much luck with Argentinians for some reason or another. Would avoid.
  30. Apr 9, 2019

poleglass red Full Member

last yr Toronto should have won the CONCACAF. They lost to Guadalajara in the final on pens, and should have won that game, Delgado missed a sitter for them late on. That Toronto team went on to have a poor season failing to qualify for the play offs in mls. They beat UANL and America en route to the final, who are traditionally top teams in Mexico.
  31. Apr 9, 2019

limerickcitykid There once was a kid from Toronto...

:lol: Not like they don't have over 450 appearances in Europe or anything.

What a complete pile of shit of a post.
  32. Apr 9, 2019

Nick7 Full Member

On what planet did Giovonco and Vela not have careers in Europe?

Also since when are Kansas the best team in the MLS?
  33. Apr 9, 2019

Sarni nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

You are Mexican and you think Vela struggled to have a career in Europe? Have you lived under a rock?
  34. Apr 9, 2019

SATA Full Member

All i remember about Vela was being this young talent at Arsenal who only played in the domestic cup games and then a pretty much decent career at Sociedad i think. Kind of Adnan Januzaj probably

Giovinco was at Juventus, wasn't he? Can't remember much about him cos i don't watch much Serie A
  35. Apr 9, 2019

reddevil702 Full Member

There's no debating MLS is not a top tier league and Liga Mx is still the better of the two but the gap is starting to close. Last year's best team was Atlanta United (MLS champions) not Toronto. Atlanta vs Monterrey was 3-1 (in favor of Monterrey), Atlanta winning at home. Not a bad scoreline for two of the top teams in each league facing each other. Regardless, you have to be cautious of the stats a player puts up in either league, no different the eredivisie or smaller leagues around Europe.

As far as Luciano Acosta his size is a concern especially with the physicality of the PL, but he has very quick feet and is definitely worth a shot, low risk high reward.
  36. Apr 9, 2019

poleglass red Full Member

VVD was 24 and still at Celtic. I think we need to widen our horizon when scouting. I'm not advocating this guy, tbh not seen enough of him, but I certainly wouldn't write a player of for those reasons. We've historically always scouted from so called lesser leagues with very good success. The buying the completed article hasn't exactly worked for us in recent seasons
  37. Apr 9, 2019

SAFMUTD Full Member

I'm talking about average players in europe that look like superstars in the MLS. Neither Giovinco nor Vela achieved anything worth mention in europe.
  38. Apr 9, 2019

SAFMUTD Full Member

Both Giovinco and Vela had average careers in Europe. Both had their chance at tops teams in Juve and Arsenal and failed, and ended up playing at average teams just to end up in the MLS and set the league on fire. Thats the MLS level, medium quality players from Europe are the top there.

I don't follow the MLS but if Kansas got to the Concachampions they should had win the cup or league or end up as finalist as least, so you are talking about one of their top teams getting trashed 5-0 by one of Mexico's top teams.
  39. Apr 9, 2019

GaryLifo Nice Bloke

I'd like him because it would be like having Tyrion Lannister in the team.

Who wouldn't want Tyrion Lannister in their team?
  40. Apr 9, 2019

SAFMUTD Full Member

We don't have many players in Europe, but most mexicans will agree Vela's career was not even near to success in Europe. We have had players like Hugo Sanchez, Rafa Marquez, Pavel Pardo, Chicharito who all won top trophies.

Vela's talent as a youngster was really something but he never got anywhere close to what was expected from him. Of course he had an average career in europe, playing week in and week out in average teams, but for me thats not success. Success is to play in top teams and win trophies, he was never even close to that.