1. We are delighted to have been nominated for Best Forum in The Football Blogging Awards. You can vote for us on their website here and via twitter here. You can read the caf thread here. Thanks to anyone who votes for us.
    Dismiss Notice

Luciano Acosta

Discussion in 'Transfer Forum' started by Giggsyking, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Apr 9, 2019

SAFMUTD Full Member

Sure but if your aspiration is to close the gap between the MLS and the Liga MX I think you are a long long way from the Premier League quality. Like I said, they get exposure since it's the USA league, but their level is below the mexico's, chile's, colombia's league to mention a few.

I don't think its the market we should be looking at, the MLS is feeded mostly by veteran europeans and mexicans, and failed southamericans. Most southamericans end up there when they no longer have a chance of going to the european leagues.

Of course a gem may appear from time to time, but we will have the same success by sending scouts to the korean or the japanesse league.
  2. Apr 9, 2019

marktan Full Member

I've watched him for DC whilst watching Rooney and he's always impressed. It's hard to know whether that's because it's just MLS, but he's very good on the ball and a very good dribbler, so I think that'd translate well in a higher league of football. Jumping from DC to us is a bit of a jump though, but I'd be surprised if a lower European team doesn't make a move for him.
  3. Apr 9, 2019

the_irish123 New Member

Almiron looked like Pele in MLS (much more impressive than this guy) and Newcastle seems like is about his level. Doubt this guy could play for United.
  4. Apr 9, 2019

Sarni nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

You seem to have very high threshold for success. Vela had quite a few very good seasons for Sociedad while Giovinco was a key player for Parma for a while and played in nearly 100 games for Juventus. That’s a fairly successful career for both of them, even if they weren’t superstars in Europe.
  5. Apr 9, 2019

limerickcitykid There once was a kid from Toronto...

The only thing you're talking is completely shite.
  6. Apr 9, 2019

Yagami Full Member

His dad
  7. Apr 9, 2019

Red Indian Chief Torn Rubber Thus says Kemo

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
    Its called being 5ft 3....
  8. Apr 9, 2019

SAFMUTD Full Member

We are talking Manchester United quality here, I guess we lost the initial point but it was that we send scouts to watch this Luciano Acosta lad...my point is players that had quite a few very good seasons for Sociedad and a key player for parma had set the MLS on fire....so we shouldn't pay to much attention if a player is doing great in that farmers league, I'm not saying Luciano Acosta may end up having a good career for a middle table team in europe, but I very much doubt he is at the required level for ManUtd, even in this dark days when we have underperforming players.
  9. Apr 9, 2019

SAFMUTD Full Member

No need to be sad about your Toronto lad, he's off anyway, cheers.
  10. Apr 9, 2019

Sarni nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

For what it’s worth I have zero idea who Acosta is and whether he would be good enough for United.

I was merely pointing out that Giovinco and Vela had good careers in Europe, it’s not like they were no names who came into MLS out of nowhere. They were recognized names in European football.
  11. Apr 9, 2019

poleglass red Full Member

couldn't you use your argument on Gignac for Tigres. Few good seasons in french league not playing for the top team then huge success in liga MX. No big clubs ever came in for him, at one point Fulham were strongly linked.
  12. Apr 10, 2019

SAFMUTD Full Member

Thats the level of the mexican league, any average player from a top league is an instant success here.
  13. Apr 10, 2019

sglowrider Against Oral Equality

We already have our own height challenged player in Angel. Not sure the squad can handle two dwarfs other than for the purpose of making Juan feel like a Spanish Hulk.
  14. Apr 10, 2019

Mibabalou Full Member

53', 93', 94', 99', 90+1', 90+3', 26', 34'
    No chance he’s good enough.

The ex MLS player we should be looking at is Tyler Adams with RB Leipzig. Could replace Herrera.
  15. Apr 10, 2019

luke511 Full Member

Watched DC United vs Montreal and can confirm he's nowhere near good enough.
  16. Apr 10, 2019

gulli_G Full Member

The thing is that our level has dropped so low that Rooney is recommending MLS players.