1. We are delighted to have been nominated for Best Forum in The Football Blogging Awards. You can vote for us on their website here and via twitter here. You can read the caf thread here. Thanks to anyone who votes for us.
    Dismiss Notice

Luka Jovic - Eintracht Frankfurt (on loan from Benfica)

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by R'hllor, Nov 21, 2018.

1. Nov 21, 2018

R'hllor Full Member

Just stumbled on Sky Sports article about this kid, will be honest, i dont watch Bundesliga, so not sure is this article true reflection of his current form. There are two young players i had high hopes when they left Serbian league, Andrija Zivkovic and Luka Jovic. There are maybe one of two others (at the moment in Serie A) but they left way to early imo.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...arcelona-target-outscoring-robert-lewandowski

So Bundesliga watchers, what you think? If he avoids injuries, is there a good striker in the future?
  2. Nov 21, 2018

HarlanEiffler Full Member

He's part of an incredibly successful Frankfurt offense at the moment, with Rebic and Haller being the other two main attackers. But yeah, Jovic looks like a very good striker. It will be interesting to see what happens when (if) Frankfurt dips in form. He's still just 20 years old. Frankfurt already confirmed they will activate their buy-clause.
  3. Nov 21, 2018

Hazard Warning Banned

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Football manager legend.

In all seriousness, he’s got a great skill set which is suited to a quick counter attacking setup. His passing is wayward and unreliable still when he has time to actually pick out a teammate but is surprisingly good when he has to play one touch or a one-two with no time to think.

Big room for improvement, crazy to think he’s still just 20 when he’s been around for a good few years already.
  4. Nov 21, 2018

Adisa likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

What are his qualities? Who is he comparable to?
  5. Nov 21, 2018

Hazard Warning Banned

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Kind of went over it in the post above but can elaborate. He’s a complete striker who excels on the counterattack, using his pace, finishing and off the ball movement to exploit gaps in the defensive line.

He’s very much an instinctive player and you can see he doesn’t look as good when he has time to think. Showed flashes of brilliance last season but at times looked frustrated when he wasn’t gettting the ball immediately.

He’s definitely worked on the mental side of his game over the summer as his general mood when on the pitch seems a lot more positive. He’s also making better runs this season, and the team is benefiting from that. It will be interesting to see what happens if/when Frankfurt suffer a dip in form and the service into him dries up. Will he revert to his previous character or has he already grown up?

In terms of comparing him to someone, I’d be tempted to say he’s a slower version of Auba.
  6. Nov 21, 2018

Adisa likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

Thanks .
  7. Nov 21, 2018

Swarm Full Member

Supports:
    Borussia Dortmund
    First of all I do not follow Frankfurt games too closely so most of my impressions come from game summaries and of course those show the goals he is scoring. Judging from that I would not really compare him to Auba really. I am not even sure what a slower version of him would look like :D Aubameyang mostly profits off his pace and ability to get in behind the defence. Additionally he is a quite clinical finisher and also good in the air. Especially the latter is not necessarily something you would say about Jovic, if you look at his time at Frankfurt only 3 out of 21 goals scored were headers. Without checking I would assume most of those to be tap ins since I do not expect him to beat a proper defender in an arial duel too often.

But that is not to take away from the capabilities of the player, he just has different strengths and in my opinion that is mainly his shot (also to some extent distinguishing him from Aubameyang). From what I recall a lot of his goals recently were scored either from medium range of roughly 15-20 meters or directly converting low crosses. So this can either be a fluke in form and him getting a bit lucky with his touches or he is just really good at it. Considering he has been doing it for roughly a year now suggests he might be making his own luck to a certain degree (though I expect his form or at least his goal scoring for Frankfurt to dip a bit soon).

Overall I think Jovic may become a really great striker but I am not sure how much of a worldbeater he will be. I think he has to prove himself a bit more and it is a bit too early to sind his praises just yet. For a team of Frankfurt's stature however he and his buddies Rebic and expecially Haller are phenomenal and I will enjoy following their development.
  8. Nov 21, 2018

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87 Banned

Supports:
    Arsenal
    He looks a great talent. Some big clubs are gonna come in for him in the summer.
  9. Nov 21, 2018

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87 Banned

Supports:
    Arsenal
    Indeed. Just read Bayern, Liverpool and Barca want him.
  10. Nov 21, 2018

SteveW Full Member

Watched a couple of videos. Looks very 2 footed
  11. Nov 21, 2018

RW2 Banned

Supports:
    Eintracht Frankfurt
    Jovic is a world class centre forward. Period.

Whilse he is on loan from Benfica at Eintracht Frankfurt, Frankfurt have a clause to buy him outright for €6m which they intend to activate.
  12. Nov 21, 2018

luke511 Full Member

Benfica has a strange habit of letting good players go for nothing, Bernardo Silva is another.
  13. Nov 22, 2018

Swarm Full Member

Supports:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Did you just reply to yourself ten hours later? :lol:

While Jovic is a great player not doubt I feel like you should hold your horses there a bit. A couple of games without a goal or even just a proper injury and public opinion will change rapidly. Right now he is in the limelight as part of Frankfurts fantastic attacking trio and you could probably call his performances world class as of the last couple of weeks. Even though I hate this kind of hedging as well (especially when talking about Dortmund players :D) I think he really has to prove this run of form over a longer period of time. And yes I am aware of his performances and numbers last season, they are one of the reasons I rate him as highly as I do, not because he scored 5 against Düsseldorf. Maybe we just have different definitions of the term "world class". :)
  14. Nov 22, 2018

RW2 Banned

Supports:
    Eintracht Frankfurt
    I can understand posters like yourself calling for caution and indeed it is entirely reasonable. There comes a point in time though where the very good player separates themselves from the rest with extraordinary ability and skill, and I believe Jovic has reached that level. Few players do this in their debuts (Alan Shearer & Wayne Rooney come to mind), others take a bit more time, but by the age of 20-21 the world class player has usually announced himself to the world.

Jovic is an out and out old fashioned striker with an extraordinary eye for goal who, I believe, would have already made himself known far earlier if he were playing for free scoring teams like Barcelona, RM or Bayern rather than Eintracht Frankfurt (whom I support).

I remember his debut goal for Eintracht. An impressive header. Over the past couple of years though he has been in an out of the team as he competed with, initially, Alex Meier but later Ante Rebic in the starting lineup. Some of Jovic's initial performances would suggest that he can be distant in games. When he did play he was certainly noticeable for one thing.... He scored goals and also had an extraordinary ability to score goals from nothing. Last season Eintracht won the German Cup (DFB Pokal), defeating Bayern 3-1 in the final. Jovic was an unused substitute with Ante Rebic taking all the plaudits. However few refer to the semi final where Jovic scored a fantastic back-heeled goal from a corner in a tight match which Eintracht won 1-0 at Schalke.

This season has been different for Jovic and he can thank his mew manager at Eintracht, Adi Hutter.
    Hutter is not of the Kovac style as he is an attacking manager who believes that the best form of defence is attack. Consequently Jovic has appeared in a strike force of three with Ante Rebic & Sebastian Haller (who is also excelling btw). Jovic's partnership with Haller in particular seems to have magnificent chemistry.

It was the record setting 5 goals in one game against Dusseldorf which got the rest of Europe noticing but, prior to that, Jovic already had the highest goals per minute ratio of all time for players who have played in more than 25 Bundesliga matches. A certain G. Muller is in second place. In addition to Jovic's scoring he appears to have something that is quite extraordinary among all footballers. . . He has an extremely accurate & powerful shot with either foot. His heading ability is not bad either.

So I agree with the "hang on there" reactions but, for me, his two goals against Schalke in Eintracht's last Bundesliga match tipped him over to the other side as a great player. Two superbly taken left foot shots.
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  15. Nov 22, 2018

Swarm Full Member

Supports:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Alright, I think we are not so far apart in our perceptions after all. It is of course important to note that you will have seen far more of Jovic and Frankfurt than me so I would never assume my impressions are as detailed as yours. I think I might actually be more impressed with the goal scoring ability Jovic has shown last season (in a far less attack minded setup as you mentioned) than with his current run of form which is also superb but seems to be condensed a little more into tha last couple of games. I think he also profits a bit off of Haller whom I would personally even rate a bit higher at the moment but Jovic is also about four years younger than him.

Long story short, I think Jovic has proven himself to be a fantastic attacking prospect and has shown a strong level for about a year now. He has all the capabilities to become a striker of international, maybe even world class. I just don't quite see him there yet but that is quite a high bar to reach (at least in the way I judge world class).
  16. Nov 22, 2018

Robbie Boy Full Member

:lol:

What happened here?
  17. Nov 22, 2018

cheeky_backheel Full Member

From the little I have seen, I would think he is more similar to Pipita - doesnt really look the part but seems to have a good knack for goals. Also reminds me a bit of Rebrov
  18. Nov 22, 2018

TsuWave Full Member

I was getting Jovic mixed up with Jovetic and was thinking “did he reinvigorate his career or something?” but then I read “20 years old” and knew that couldn’t be right
  19. Dec 2, 2018

Invictus Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018 Staff

Supports:
    Piracy on the High Seas
  20. Dec 19, 2018

R'hllor Full Member

I see he scored 2 tonight, thats, if i am not wrong 12 goals in 14 games this season?
  21. Dec 19, 2018

Don Alfredo Full Member

Supports:
    Germany
    Yes.

Plus 5 goals in 6 matches in the europa league against such opponents like Lazio and Marseille.
  22. Dec 19, 2018

Supports:
    Piracy on the High Seas
    Yep, 12 goals in the Bundesliga and 5 goals in the Europa League. Mind, the “in X number of games” figure is kind of misleading with Jović because he has played roughly 1200 minutes in those two tournaments combined, and didn't start in all those matches for Eintracht Frankfurt.

Very impressive goals vs. minutes played statistics (though a bit distorted because he's only a newbie at this stage with a limited sample size):
  23. Dec 19, 2018

R'hllor Full Member

I see, guess Eintracht will have to make a decision at the end of season, dunno whats the set price by Benfica if they wanna buy him. Thanks guys.
  24. Dec 19, 2018

RW2 Banned

Supports:
    Eintracht Frankfurt
    This is his second full season in the Bundesliga.

He's no newbie.
  25. Dec 19, 2018

RW2 Banned

Supports:
    Eintracht Frankfurt
    Price is already set at €6m in the loan agreement.
  26. Dec 19, 2018

Supports:
    Piracy on the High Seas
  27. Dec 19, 2018

R'hllor Full Member

Woot, thats weird, i mean, not following transfer exists of Benfica, Porto etc. but always thoo their players going for high amounts regardless of player in question.
  28. Dec 19, 2018

R'hllor Full Member

29. Dec 19, 2018

Supports:
    Piracy on the High Seas
    Yes, but the terminology and arbitrary sample size used in Opta tweets can be used to bend statistics ever so slightly or present them in a certain light — the newbie bit was an allusion to his number of games vs. more established strikers who've gone through prolonged peaks and troughs. Didn't intend to discredit Jović, mind — he's been mint, just providing a slight caveat.
  30. Dec 19, 2018

Lyricist Full Member

You have to say he's a bit good. Scoring 5 against Lazio and Marseille in 4 games, scoring 5 against Düsseldorf in the Bundesliga in 1 game of which one is an acrobatic volley Ibrahimovic would've been proud of.

Check at 48 seconds.
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  31. Dec 19, 2018

RW2 Banned

Supports:
    Eintracht Frankfurt
    Cup semi final in April

32. Dec 20, 2018

SCP Full Member

Supports:
    Sporting Clube Portugal
    Its fecking unbelievable how on Earth Boto discovered all these players for Benfica, while their shit coach Vitória can't make any of these players work. One of the main reasons Boto left Benfica for Shaktar, at least Fonseca knows what talent means.
  33. Dec 21, 2018

P3nnywise New Member

Supports:
    Werder Bremen
    Niko Kovac said:
    - Jovic is very likely to become a world class striker and
    - bayern is a world class team
  34. Feb 25, 2019

R'hllor Full Member

A goal and 2 assists yesterday vs Hannover 96, thats 15 goals and 5 assists in 21 games in BL. Really poor defending for his goal thoo. If i am not wrong BL golden boot winners ended up between 25-30 goals in last few years, seems this season it will be lower amount then previous ones, Lewa is on 13 at the moment.
    Guess makes sense due Bayerns form and how this season in BL went till now.
  35. Feb 25, 2019

.mica New Member

Supports:
    Dortmund
    He is good. Hope that he is off to Barcelona, or to Dortmund, but i think we will more target Haller. In the end, main hope for me is, that Jovic won't go to Bayern.
  36. Feb 25, 2019

FootballHQ Full Member

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    Frankfurt must be so good to watch with Rebic and Seb Haller also in their forward line. Will have to catch a few games for them in the run in, do they play Bayern and Dortmund again before season is out?

Also exciting for Serbia NT they have a potential world class striker in the making given they have good defence and midfield options.
  37. Feb 25, 2019

Swarm Full Member

Supports:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Frankfurt are an absolute joy to watch on their day and that is pretty much any day at the moment. Their offense of Jovic/Rebic/Haller but also the likes of Kostic and da Costa is just incredible. I am really looking forward to their games against Inter Milan in the Europa League. The have already had their match against Dortmund (a 1:1 draw) and are actually facing Bayern in their last match of the season.
  38. Mar 14, 2019

Peyroteo Professional Ronaldo PR Guy

Supports:
    Sporting CP
    Just scored at the San Siro. So how good is he?

Only 21 years old, 15 goals in the Bundesliga. Seems destined for a big money transfer this summer.
  39. Mar 14, 2019

Tommy bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered

Supports:
    Liverpool

For those who didn't see it.
  40. Mar 14, 2019

DWelbz19 Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Bayern should be all over him. Forget about Werner, or whoever else.