Lukaku's first touch

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by goldenballs, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Feb 18, 2018

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    @GifLord

Got a gif of him bringing down that lofted pass from Sanchez? That’s about a difficult a first touch, technically, as any striker will need to make. And - from memory - he absolutely nailed it.
  2. Feb 18, 2018

GifLord The gif that keeps on giffing

3. Feb 18, 2018

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    Nice. Thanks dude. That is indeed a hell of a good first touch.

Fecking awesome pass too.
  4. Feb 18, 2018

Cliche Guevara Full Member

Beautiful move.
  5. Feb 18, 2018

Greck Full Member

Has made improvements but this video is still his first touch under pressure in a nutshell. His first touch at Everton had some good moments as well. It's the variance in his touch from moment to moment that baffles
  6. Feb 18, 2018

red_john New Member

One things for sure, he has improved his first touch since joining which was never as bad as people make out.
  7. Feb 18, 2018

haram Full Member

Getting better. His link play is good as well. Improving his hold up and first touch will allow him to make full use of his link up play.
  8. Feb 18, 2018

sunama Baghdad Bob

Lukaku's first touch, there, was excellent.
    But what about Sanchez's pass. :drool:
  9. Feb 18, 2018

Lentwood Full Member

I don't think Lukaku has a problem with his first touch tbh - I think because he is so bulky when the ball does bounces off him (and sometimes even when it doesn't) he looks very clumsy. I bet if you ran some stats you would see the ball doesn't escape him any more or less often than your other top CFs
  10. Feb 18, 2018

noodlehair "It's like..."

Yeah that''s what I like about Sanchez. I thought he was poor yesterday yet he still comes up with things like that. Even the pass for the goal. He made it look simple but a lot of players just wouldn't have played it.
  11. Feb 18, 2018

Rifer Full Member

:D Good bump @Pogue Mahone

Excellent play.

Lukaku and Sanchez, i like this combination, not just against Huddersfield, but even against Newcastle, their combo plays are exciting.
  12. Feb 18, 2018

Jaybomb Banned

He’s class on the ball. The whole thing is over exaggerated media bollocks.

Yes his touch let’s him down at times but his build up play is top quality. He’s not this one dimensional “donkey” that rival fans try to paint him as.
  13. Feb 18, 2018

Yagami Full Member

The pass from Alexis and touch from Lukaku were both great, but I loved Shaw's contribution to that attack, too. A lovely little lob to Alexis instead of hoofing it or passing to Matic, and providing Alexis another option with his overlapping run which he's been guilty of not doing as much during his time here.
  14. Feb 18, 2018

Aresma7 New Member

It was not too bad, but the defender gave him time, and you can see the ball bounces once before he gets control over the it. Imagine berbatov in same situation..the ball would be glued to his feet at first touch!
  15. Feb 18, 2018

B20 HALA MADRID!

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Fixed that for you
  16. Feb 18, 2018

Rifer Full Member

Good catch, he always is that skillful with passes.
  17. Feb 18, 2018

simplyared Full Member

Yes his 1st touch is definately a weakness and if he wants to get up there with the best, he must improve in that area. Should be something for the coaching staff to take on board.
  18. Feb 18, 2018

PaidMonk New Member

His first touch was really poor but has improved slightly in the recent months. I mean he is no Ibra after all but still needs to work on it.

It's his dribbling that worries me more.
  19. Feb 18, 2018

Moonwalker Full Member

Blind hens and all that.'
  20. Feb 18, 2018

macheda14 Full Member

Blind hens?
  21. Feb 18, 2018

Moonwalker Full Member

The proverbial blind hen, yes.
  22. Feb 18, 2018

minoo-utd Full Member

He is getting very much better.
  23. Feb 18, 2018

dogwithabone Full Member

His first touch is better than Kane’s in my opinion.

I don’t deny Kane is the better striker but I’m not sure he scores that sort of second goal Lukaku did yesterday. That was explosive.
  24. Feb 18, 2018

EyeInTheSky Full Member

Even a blind hen can sometimes find some corn or something like that.

Personally, I thought his touch from that pass from Sanchez was not as great as some are making out, he did not stop it dead or in his stride and it bobbled up so he had to bring it down twice. What was great about that situation was his run and timing to perfection on getting on the end of it under pressure from a defender which also means we must praise Sanchez for his nothing less than exquisite pinged pass.

I have seen him do better and would not say that was an outstanding example of his work in this context. He is a mixed bag where no one here can honestly say that they don't have any apprehension or heart skip a beat whenever a semi-difficult ball comes into him. If anyone tells you they have a massive amount of confidence in that situation then they are lying or have the memory of a goldfish.
  25. Feb 18, 2018

macheda14 Full Member

Had just never heard that one
  26. Feb 18, 2018

el3mel Full Member

I'll say it's more inconsistent than being bad. Some times he controls the ball very well, other times completely the opposite. Will improve over time and with training, no doubt.
  27. Feb 18, 2018

SerenityValley Full Member

Every time I see the subject of this thread, I remember that someone suggested when Dion Dublin signed for Utd, that he could trap the ball further than most people could kick it.
  28. Feb 18, 2018

breakout67 Full Member

Kane is a more limited striker; but he's really good at those things (hold-up play and goalscoring instinct).. Lukaku has that inside forward aspect to his game, where he can go wide and run at the full back or cut inside.

IMO Kane is a very similar profile to Lewandoski.
  29. Feb 18, 2018

Cascarino Full Member

Supports:
    Swansea
    No chance imo, though I definitely think Lukaku's touch is better than he's given credit for.
  30. Feb 18, 2018

Jim Beam Full Member

Kane first touch and all round game are better. Let's not get crazy now.

Lukaku is more explosive and dangerous on the counter. Also, his first touch is underrated, although he has a similar problem to Rooney. When he has an off game, it looks really bad.
  31. Feb 18, 2018

cyberman Full Member

Kane hasn't got a special first touch. I'd say they're on par.
    If anything, Lukaku has better attributes with the way he drops deep or pulls wide but Kane is a beast at the high end of the scale.
    Kind of like Ronaldo over the last few years compared to a Diego Costa or Griezmann.
  32. Feb 18, 2018

Rightnr Full Member

Not sure if it's a one-off or because it was just Huddersfield but his first touch looked much improved. I definitely think he's been working on it but the true test will come against a top 6 which will give him less time.

I also think Lukaku might have been showing much better form recently had most of our team not been underperforming.
  33. Feb 18, 2018

Greck Full Member

No player with a great first touch is prone to one or two Hesky moments every game. There's a reason he makes for a poor targetman
  34. Feb 19, 2018

Red Indian Chief Torn Rubber Thus says Kemo

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
    Its like we signed an Andy Cole clone with extra height
  35. Feb 19, 2018

Ish Lights on for Luke

Yeah, it always happens though re the bolded bit. His first touch is underrated, indeed, but when you need to pull footage to show and convince others of his "great first touch", then for me that does show that it is actually an area he can still improve a little more on.

I think "very good to great" first touches, are sort of an expectation I'd have of really expensive footballers, if not most pro footballers.
  36. Feb 19, 2018

ThatsGreat New Member

Supports:
    Arsenal
    Most of that video was the pass after the first touch though. Not the actual first touch. A more appropriate title would've been 'Lukakus hold up play'. Lukaku is very poor with back to goal, inspite of his size. Operates more like PEA, rather than Giroud.
  37. Feb 19, 2018

JohnnyKills Full Member

Supports:
    United
    He's definitely improving as a player, whether he can improve to the level we need against top teams remains to be seen. Spurs showed how far he has to go.
  38. Feb 19, 2018

kthanksbye Full Member

Don't know if this deserves a separate thread of its own but one thing I've noticed while watching our players dribble is the visible lack of control on the ball. The ball always seems to be wobbling and our players having to adjust strides to take touches, which slows them down.

Was very apparent in his second goal the other day, he was clear on goal, but the ball never seemed to be under control and he almost ran ahead of it.

Is this just me imagining things, or has anyone else noticed this too?
  39. Feb 19, 2018

Antonedwin Banned

it was rival fans and football community who start exaggerating how bad his first touch is when he was confirmed to join us and sadly most of our fanbase believe it as well
    His first touch is okay imo , it's just his awkward body language made it look worse

he was, but most importantly it's still end up in the back of the net, i bet the likes of morata , lacazette or welbeck would have miss given the same opportunity
  40. Feb 19, 2018

red_john New Member

He did very well and the ball was under control as much as it needed to be. Remember he was running with the ball whilst trying to keep ahead of defenders at high speed which is very difficult to achieve. Im sure people are purposely looking for errors in his game. I don't get it. Strange