Luke Shaw contract extension

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Raoul, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Dec 6, 2017

Sepukku Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Baffling to see the length people would go to deny his mistakes last night. The goal wasn't the only time when he went missing. Sometimes he just forgets he's on a football field.

But he did put a very good offensive performance. Keeping that level going forward while fixing his lack of awareness could save his United career. But its all about what he does this season.
  2. Dec 6, 2017

wolvored Full Member

Could he be turned into the LW we were after?
  3. Dec 6, 2017

McGrathsipan Full Member Knee-jerker

I saw the highlights earlier and he looked like he did ok for most of the game.
    Got forward well and looked like he had a bit about him.

Something to work on and I think that he will get some time on the pitch due to the nature of the fixture list this Month.
    His last chances I think.
  4. Dec 6, 2017

Thepinhead Full Member

This.

I thought he had a very good performance but I also felt that Blind carried him a lot, especially the last 20 minutes.
  5. Dec 6, 2017

Badunk Shares his caf joinday with Dante

Think he might be better as a left winger than a left back.
  6. Dec 6, 2017

Bwuk Full Member

He has zero chance of playing on the left wing here ahead of Martial, Rashford or Lingard.
  7. Dec 6, 2017

André Dominguez Full Member

Supports:
    Benfica, Académica
    How did Shaw got more votes than Pogba for MOTM? Did a solid game, but that's all. I guess people expectations were really low and they got surprised :p
  8. Dec 6, 2017

b82REZ Full Member

There's a world of difference between contributing in attack from a deep position and being one of the furthest players forward. Shaw would be an atrocious LW, his end product is mixed at best and he is inconsistent in beating his man. He might make a decent full back or wing back given the chance, but he has no chance as a winger.
  9. Dec 6, 2017

Ikon Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

Interesting fact..
    Luke Shaw has been a Premiership player since 2012, and in that time he has never scored a goal and is only credited with 3 assists.

Having said that, after last night's performance from him, I'd be inclined to give him until the end of the season to prove he can have a future at United rather than shipping him off in January.
  10. Dec 6, 2017

Globule signature/tagline creator extraordinaire

I think I've mentioned it previously, but to me he seems like he often needs to be told to where to stand, where to run etc. He doesn't seem like the most positionally aware player.

He did make a few positional mistakes yesterday, but it was an encouraging performance. Especially considering just how little football he's played. I wouldn't want us to ignore the LB position in the hope he steps up, but if he can give more performances like last night when called upon perhaps he has a future here. He has a long way to go though.
  11. Dec 6, 2017

red4ever 79 Full Member

Supports:
    Red Devils
    Never in a million years does this guy deserve any kind of contract extension. As we all assumed he has issues in keeping himself fit, which for for a professional football player who is paid a lot of money is nothing short of disgraceful.
  12. Dec 6, 2017

Regulus Arcturus Black Banned

He's 22, he snapped his leg literally in half just two years ago @Phil Jones 79, and if he can reproduce a string of performances like last night he'll fetch a hefty sum should the club decide to sell, for that alone he should and will get his contract extended.
  13. Dec 6, 2017

Ikon Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

That's why I think we need a commanding CB that will boss the defence.
    Although we do have some decent CBs, we don't have a leader in the mould of a Rio, Vidic, Bruce, to take control and organize.
  14. Dec 6, 2017

b82REZ Full Member

I definitely think he can become at least a squad player at United and he will surely get until the end of the season to stake a claim. He's an upgrade on Darmian and offers more attacking thrust than Blind. But calls to make him a winger are ridiculous, people make such knee jerk reactions based on one performance.
  15. Dec 6, 2017

red4ever 79 Full Member

Supports:
    Red Devils
    I couldn't care less what injuries he has had. I'm talking about lifestyle and him showing the dedication to take care of himself in order to be able to perform for the club. One 80 mins performance where he was decent, nothing more and everyone is over excited
  16. Dec 6, 2017

Oldyella Full Member

Young doing so well has really taken some pressure off having to make any immediate decisions here. Think Mourinho gives Shaw the rest of the season after last night.
  17. Dec 6, 2017

Sultan السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته Staff

Don't talk unless you can improve the silence
    It was confirmed yesterday Shaw has not lost his pace and can still play football.

Goals are scored by defender mistakes or creativity of certain players. I give credit on this occassion to a move by the opposition. Had United scored a similar goal we would never be blaming the opposition defender for making it easy. All our energies would be geared towards praising our team/players.
  18. Dec 6, 2017

breakout67 Full Member

Looks like Shaw has become the best LB in the league again after a game where his positioning was suspect again.
  19. Dec 6, 2017

Well except for the fact that not a single poster had said anything remotely like the above, well, apart from @breakout67 of course.
  20. Dec 6, 2017

Nice attitude to an injury that can and does end careers.
  21. Dec 6, 2017

breakout67 Full Member

It's a bit of hyperbole and exaggeration based on the hyperbole and exaggeration surrounding Luke Shaw on this forum.

People are so desperate for him to come good because they are convinced he's way above his actual level, that they ignore that he makes mistakes every time he plays. And these mistakes aren't to do with fitness or rhythm (even though he has fitness problems every time he plays) they are to do with his positioning being all over the place.

Everytime you point out that Shaw seems to wander around the pitch in parts of the game, as if he doesnt know where he's supposed to be, you'll have 5 different posters talk about how he's so talented and was the best LB in the league a few years ago.
  22. Dec 6, 2017

adexkola Arsenal supporter Verified Moaner City Lover

Me, and you. Yo momma, and yo cousin too.
    Supports:
    orderly disembarking on planes
    It's a really nasty outlook to have towards your own player.

If he can kick on from this there is no reason why we should bin him out. He has age on his side.
  23. Dec 6, 2017

AR87 Full Member

Possible to show progress without winning the PL
    He made 2-3 positional errors from what I rememer, one of which resulted in a goal, and wasn't close to being entirely his fault. Pogba letting Ramsay walk in behind him for Arsenal's goal is more egregious than Shaw, perhaps naively, trying to hold the line yesterday and getting beat by a run behind on which Blind failed to cover at all and Smalling dropped deeper than the other 4 defenders to keep the attacker onside.

He's still nowhere near taking over for Young who, I'd point out, was also poor positionally on Ramsay's goal at the weekend and has positional issues in the LWB role. For now Shaw looks like the elite prospect with the physical talent and tools which made him such an elite prospect when he was purchased remaining intact. I'd rather use him as cover for Young for the rest of the season, in which we should have plenty of fixtures if we advance deeper into all of our cup competitions as we'd hope, than loan him out or buy somebody in January.

He's still closer to finding a new home than recapturing his place at Manchester United, but I think considering the investment we've made into him we should use the remainder of the season to see how he gets along before making a decision on the LB spot and Shaw this summer.
  24. Dec 6, 2017

BarstoolProphet Full Member

Which mistakes? It was Smalling who played their player onside for the goal.
  25. Dec 7, 2017

roseguy64 Full Member

TBF he's probably not played for half that time.
  26. Dec 7, 2017

The No.10! Full Member

Everybody's is just excited by what he showed offensively, since that it so clearly we're lacking from our FBs, no matter how effective they might be.

But I agree that defensively, he was a suspect, but I'm putting that down to lack of match practice more than anything else, and hopefully the next time we see him (spring?), This would've improved.
  27. Dec 7, 2017

Dante Bang Average but can post Blindfolded for 15 secs

Supports:
    United!
    Seconds before their goal, Shaw had just made a 60 yard sprint the other way. His failure to track the run all the way back was as much down to fitness as anything else.

His positioning has always been one of his strengths. That knowledge is not something you lose.
  28. Dec 7, 2017

Ali Dia Full Member

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
    I reckon he’s going to start eventually getting games. For now he’ll be behind young but next in line. I can see him being brought on as sub when we’ve games won and getting the odd start. Either way, It’s good to see him involved again. I’m glad to hear Jose saying he’s been doing all that’s been asked of him for a while now. It’s not too late for him. if he gets serious and has the managers confidence he could still be the player we’d hoped he’d become or at least come close to that.

I said in another thread but it’s great to see Jose getting a reaction out of the players a lot of us had written off. A Few really bad games in a row or slacking off at training and you’re out of the team and possibly the squad for a while. Someone else is always hungry for their chance to step in and make the spot their own. Hes got to pick the 11 form players and shaw still has a long way to go before he surpasses Young’s form at any stage this season. It can only be a good thing for us that he’s pushing to be involved in the first team again though.
  29. Dec 7, 2017

11101 Full Member

Im not sure that's it as he has made similar mistakes before. His body shape was wrong to begin with which has nothing to do with fitness. The player was past him before he even started to turn.

He plays like an 18 year old still, relying on his pace to bail him out of positional errors. Its partly understandable after how much development he has missed but he needs to catch up quickly if he's going to make it here.
  30. Dec 7, 2017

Grylte "nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"

Said the guy with the nickname Phil Jones79 :lol::lol::lol:
  31. Dec 7, 2017

Adam-Utd Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

He played for offside. You never go chasing after a winger when you’ve already got the line perfect, you hold it.

Unfortunately Smalling had a brain fart and dropped deep and played everybody on. It then makes shaw look bad but he did the right thing, the guy was offside.
  32. Dec 7, 2017

11101 Full Member

If that were true Shaw would have been side on instead of facing square up the pitch. He had no idea where Smalling was in that position. It's hopefully just him being rusty but it's not the first time he's done it.
  33. Dec 7, 2017

AngliaRed Full Member

I think somebody on here said he’s one of the fittest and fastest players at united.

Its just his injury record. Lets face it, Uniteds medical department are second to none and they cant get Shaw fit and playing again then noone can. That being said, he looked sharp last night and Jose was impressed so im pleased for the boy! If he stays fit and get a run of games under his belt it may save us the money and wages we planned on spending on Rose.
  34. Dec 7, 2017

redIndianDevil Full Member

Because Pogba was poor for most of the match apart from his assist.
  35. Dec 7, 2017

André Dominguez Full Member

Supports:
    Benfica, Académica
    I still think is a matter of perception: people expect less from Shaw.
  36. Dec 7, 2017

Adam-Utd Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

What has side on got to do with anything? he was facing play and knew his marker ran behind him, he watched as the ball was played.

If Smalling did his job it would have easily been off.
  37. Dec 7, 2017

MacabbiUnited New Member

Supports:
    Maccabi Tel Aviv - Israel
    People need tp get their act together. It was one average performence, good offensivley, and fine defensevly with some mistakes. Abd it was againts CSKA. Lets not get ahead of ourselves thinking all our LB problems are gone.

When he can play like that for 20 games without being injured, then he could.
  38. Dec 7, 2017

Inigo Montoya Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

So it wasn't average then?
  39. Dec 7, 2017

MadMike Full Member

You mean Blind?

Or do you mean the first pass to the wide player, in which case it was the entire line of defence that was playing him onside?

Luke Shaw should have tracked the wide player better for that goal. He got caught in two minds.
  40. Dec 7, 2017

FrenchRed Full Member

One half decent game doesn't make a good player again. He was totally at fault in the last game for the goal - he got drawn to the ball and totally lost track of his man, who just ran behind Shaw! It was comical.

Good(ish) going forward, but a liability at the back. He'll get torn apart by a good PL offensive team.