Luke Shaw contract extension

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Raoul, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Dec 7, 2017

M Bison Full Member

Supports:
    York City
    The goal was definitely down to Shaw, he switched off and his man got in behind - didnt get drawn in, just seemed to switch off. I also think he could have given a penalty away on a different day, which is all a very negative way of looking at things.

On the slip side, he looked great going forward, made the keeper work a couple of times and he should have put a better ball in for Rashford and would have got a very good assist. He also looked solid defensively apart from the goal so the final point is an unknown at this stage.

All depends on whether you're trying to put his performance in a positive or negative light, for me he looked good especially given the lack of first team football he's played in the last 12-18 months.
  2. Dec 7, 2017

MacabbiUnited New Member

Supports:
    Maccabi Tel Aviv - Israel
    Like that bar the mistakes in defense :)
  3. Dec 7, 2017

Trizy Full Member

Well put it this way, he still has until May to prove he finally has knuckled down and ready to fulfill his potential.

How I'd love him to be pre-injury for 10 years at LB. Time will tell.
  4. Dec 7, 2017

redIndianDevil Full Member

He already has experience in the league and was pretty solid. I agree that he lost his man for the goal but Young gets caught out just as much.
  5. Dec 7, 2017

FrenchRed Full Member

Sure, but he’s hardly set foot on the pitch in the last 3 years, has been called out by 2 managers for being unfit, and his development has stalled.

Mistakes are overlooked when you are a teenager with huge talent at Soton, less so when you are expected to be an experienced solid pro in the PL.

One promising game (in which he made a huge mistake), the first time he has started all season, doesn’t change my opinion that he has to do a lot more to prove his place at United.
  6. Dec 7, 2017

Ali Dia Full Member

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
    And so it should be if we really aspire to get back to the top. Him fit and fighting for his place again can only be a good thing for the squad, especially given the potential he clearly has and the fact he’s still a young player.
  7. Dec 7, 2017

Ødegaard formerly MrEriksen Scout

Can't trust him to stay injury-free for half a season. :p
  8. Dec 7, 2017

Rory 7 Full Member

Selling a 22 year old with Shaws potential, after him losing a year to injury, would be silly. Keep him I say. Give him a chance.
  9. Dec 7, 2017

GregtheRed_ New Member

I think a lot of people are quick to jump on his back. I thought he played well, considering it was his first 'real' competitive start and chance to impress. I'm leaning more toward Smalling being at fault for the goal seeing as he played the winger on and Shaw anticipated he would too.

However, surely for those of you who consider him at fault and are quick to write him off entirely (again), you have to consider that it being his first match in a while, he's more prone to an error as he adjusts to his team mates, rhythm, pace, etc. No one anticipated, or surely expected he was going to come back Roberto Carlos esq first game. According to his social media, reports and the club he's certainly pushing himself and is eager. I feel he needs a run of games to instil some confidence and consistency and progress will come.

Competition between him and Young is tasty. Young is impressing, but for how long? Shaw is significantly younger, if we play him and he has a point to prove we may reap the longterm benefits.
  10. Dec 7, 2017

sammsky1 Pochettino's #1 fan

Its quite complicated in terms of squad planning.

makes no sense to sell him just yet, but at the same time, he can't be risked in 1st team as most games are so critical. Just training with the odd game in 7 does not help his confidence, fitness or skill development.

A loan til next summer at a decent level team would be good so he can make a genuine attempt to regain his place next season. But would he get 1st XI gametime at such clubs?

But even that presents a problem: Do we trust he will make the grade, or do we have to buy a high quality LB and ask both to compete (with Young).
  11. Dec 7, 2017

Alabaster Codify7 Full Member

He played surprisingly well and offered a fresh attacking outlet. It's the consistency I have no faith in. Let's see him play a few more games.
  12. Dec 7, 2017

sammsky1 Pochettino's #1 fan

When can he do that? Id only play him in League/FA Cup, which is 2 games in next 6 weeks. Hardly a chance for him to show consistency.
  13. Dec 7, 2017

We need an rvn Full Member

Which one are we talking about as I swear Young's injury record is far from great as well. Happy to keep them both for the rest of the season and alternate after the performance of both recently
  14. Dec 7, 2017

Ødegaard formerly MrEriksen Scout

It's the Luke Shaw thread, but sure it counts for Young also. Point being we need someone reliable to be and do well on the pitch. :)
  15. Dec 7, 2017

redIndianDevil Full Member

He played for Southampton in the PL. He can become a solid pro if given a chance.

We should be giving him gametime, he got injured because he played for us, it's down to us to get him match fit. He is just 22 years old, an English player with huge potential, there are two cup tournaments that we are still a part of, he ideally should have played the League cup from the time he was fit, he can start the FA cup games now.

It's not like we are stacked in options for the LB spot, Darmian and Blind are utter horseshit going forward. Young has been good so far but an injury to him then our entire left side would become crap because neither Darmian and Blind will support the attack like Young does.
  16. Dec 7, 2017

Nikelesh Reddy Full Member

From the outside,it just looks like the lads got great potential.But maybe there's a reason why Jose hasn't trusted him so far,maybe it's his attitude or his positioning,but either way,we have to trust Jose on this one....
  17. Dec 7, 2017

acnumber9 Full Member

Young doesn't take several months to get back into shape though.
  18. Dec 7, 2017

Kola_Nut Banned

He really did seem pacy the other night. If he can couple this with an end product would be 1 of the most exciting FB's in the league. All about staying fit & getting games.
  19. Dec 7, 2017

Pat Cat New Member

Like Chelsea trusted him with Lukaku, De Bruyne and Salah?
  20. Dec 8, 2017

Nikelesh Reddy Full Member

Fair enough,most managers get some wrong,but with Luke it's not just Jose....LVG,Roy Hodgson have also spoken about his temperament and attitude so maybe there is something wrong with his attitude.I would honestly give him another season,I think he's got incredible potential and he deserves at least another season....
  21. Dec 8, 2017

Womp idiot

Tbf Chelsea’s experience with youth hasn’t improved at all since Jose’s left. They’ve still got a million players out on loan who will most likely never play a game for Chelsea.

Also all managers get some things wrong, when you essentially have 3-4 managers who say similar things though then you have an issue
  22. Dec 8, 2017

McGrathsipan Full Member Knee-jerker

He doesn't deserve anything.

Unless he is bursting a gut behind the scenes and trying his best. 100% at all times.

This word "deserve" is bandied about too much.
  23. Dec 8, 2017

FrenchRed Full Member

Agree on giving him another season, but at some point potential becomes wasted potential (just ask Arsenal).

At 22 he’s young enough to turn it around (and I hope he does), but at 24/25? In today’s football that is half a career gone.

For 3 managers to question his attitude, as well as people close to the club... this tells us something. If there is no improvement in he next 12 months, ship him out imho.
  24. Dec 8, 2017

If the reports are true and he is pushing himself then good. He has a chance.
    He clearly has the talent.

If that door is cracked open for him he needs to stick his foot in and kick it open.

I hope he does
  25. Dec 8, 2017

Womp idiot

Basically this - I think all players have a chance to stake their position in the squad under Jose. Blind looked our first choice LB but Young has made the position his, Mkhitrayan looked our no. 10 but Lingard has taken it, Martial looked to be a rotation option but is now playing much more often.

He needs to take his chances when he gets them and show everyone what he's about.
  26. Dec 8, 2017

DevilRed Full Member

All he needs to do is stay fit and play competently then the spot is pretty much his for the next 5-10 years.

Ashley Young has been great, but I dont see it as anything but a temporary fix. Not to mention that it only works well when we play a back 5.

Now that he has been praised by Jose, he needs to kick on and seize any chances he gets in the cups. Then eventually he will get Prem matches.
  27. Dec 8, 2017

Sultan السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته Staff

Don't talk unless you can improve the silence
    Shaw played as a wing back = less responsibility for defending.
  28. Dec 8, 2017

Di Maria's angel Captain of Moanchester United

This is Redcafe, we never let any mistakes go even if they're not costly.
  29. Dec 8, 2017

onemanarmy Full Member

Lukaku and De Bruyne obviously had talent, but were half the players they are now. They both took a step back, which was an excellent decision. They were wrong to go from the Belgian league to Chelsea in the first place. Hazard won player of the year in France couple of times before heading to Chelsea, he was a lot further in his development.
  30. Dec 8, 2017

Well if he gets that and makes it his own - fair play to him.

We might not go with WBs in every game but if thats where he is useful then great - he can play there than we go that way.

I really hope he does it.
  31. Dec 9, 2017

AdamAdams New Member

He seems made for this role as he's great at flying forward and adds to our counter attacking threat. Jose's comments about him not having a football brain last year seemed to have a really bad affect on him but he seemed more like his old self, albeit in one game so far. I hope he gets his chance and earns the contract extension.
  32. Dec 9, 2017

davidmichael Full Member

I’d sign Alex Sandro regardless and IF Shaw sorts himself out and fulfils his potential we’ll have two quality left back/wing backs, Young is playing amazingly but is 33 years old so is very much a short term option.

If we’re to play 3-4-3 then Darmian is very much the full back to go, I’d have Valencia and Fosu-Mensah rotating on the right then IF we were to sign Alex Sandro then him and Shaw rotating on the left with Blind used as a left sided centre back in rotation with Rojo.