Man Utd as big as 11/4 to win next season's Premiership

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Niall, May 15, 2012.

1. May 15, 2012

Niall All Powerful Super Being

The twists and turns of this year's Premiership continued until the final whistle on Sunday when it seemed that Man Utd might win the title after all, only for City to score two injury time goals. There is a long way to go until next season but the bookies are already offering odds on who wins the title next season and also on what transfers happen before next season.

City are expected to seriously delve into the transfer market once again this summer and now that they are Champions there are very few players that are going to turn down the chance to go to Eastlands and play for big money. This is why City are the favourites to retain their title next season, at the time of writing they can be backed at 13/8 to win next season's Premiership and those odds put them well ahead of Man Utd who at their shortest can be backed at 15/8 to win the league whilst at the biggest they are a big looking 11/4 to win a 20th league title.

There is an even bigger gap back to the third best team, which is expected to be Chelsea next season despite a sixth place finish this term. Chelsea are bound to splash the cash again in the summer whoever the manager is but a jump from sixth to first looks much more unlikely than the 5/1 with the bookies suggests. Then we have Arsenal at 12/1, Spurs at 28/1 and Liverpool at 50/1 and Spurs look to have the best chance out of that trio but third is probably their best bet.

With the title looking destined to stay in Manchester next season some bookies are now offering odds on when it will next be won by a non Manchester team. You can get 7/4 that a non Manchester club wins it next season, 11/4 that it is the following season, 9/2 the season after that and just 2/1 that it is in more than three season's time.

So who might United sign to help their chances next season? The bookies don't have too many players priced up yet as the full transfer rumour mill isn't in effect yet but one player who Man Utd are favourites to sign is Klaas-Jan Huntelaar who is expected to have a big Euro 2012 for Holland, he is 4/1 to sign for United this summer. Unfortunately his international team mate Robin Van Persie is just 11/10 to sign for City this summer with United back at 20/1 for his signature. Luka Modric is 5/2 to join Chelsea but Spurs chairman Daniel Levy looks reluctant to do business with them, having previously sold Dimitar Berbatov and Michael Carrick to United it could be that the odds of 6/1 on the Croatian being a Man Utd player next season could be generous.

Where will Man Utd finish next season? What positions need reinforcing and what players would you like to see at Old Trafford next season? Discuss these questions with OLBG community members, join in for free here.
  2. May 15, 2012

Havak Pokemon master

All pretty fair. I fancy both Manchester teams to hold off all opposition in a title challenge next season. I do think we will win one of the next two Premier Leagues and make it 20 before we end up saying goodbye to the likes of Ferdinand, Evra, Scholes, Giggs, and most importantly, Sir Alex. However, I think City will win the other of the next two as well...

They say it's even harder to retain it than it is to win it, and considering only us and Chelsea (who only did it once themselves) are the only teams to retain it, I'd say that's true. I'll be an interesting season, I might put a bet on United to win it outright this time from the start.
  3. May 15, 2012

Judge Red Don't Call Me Douglas

As much as we'll want it in 2012/2013, it wouldn't surprise me if we have to wait another season for our redemption. Partly because that's how it happened with Chelsea, but also because we simply have to put more of a focus on the Champions League.

Speaking of Chelsea, if they're NOT in the CL next year, they'll be back as a major obstacle in the league with the right manager at the helm.
  4. May 15, 2012

Sarni nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

Liverpool at 50/1? They have the best squad in the league and the best manager.
  5. May 15, 2012

Cheesy Full Member

I agree with the part about Chelsea completely. They won't have to worry about the Champions League at all next season if they don't win it, and I think their failings could be a wake up call for Abramovic to go out on a spending spree.
  6. May 15, 2012

Neo_Mufc Full Member

If we started the league poorly I'd expect the odds to rise up. I wouldn't take any punt at that just yet.
  7. May 15, 2012

Rooney24 Full Member

Agree. After City went 1-0 up on Sunday we went out to 9/1 from 6/1 even though were were 1-0 up ourselves. Thats a very generous price considering we were seconds away from winnign the league in the end.
  8. May 15, 2012

Steven Seagull Full Member

King cnut has royally fecked up my plans to lay Liverpool next season. Last year they won a couple of games and by the summer they were about 10/1. Guaranteed 10% investment.