Man Utd / Juventus pitch invader got into Old Trafford with toy guns

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Murder on Zidane's Floor, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Nov 2, 2018

Murder on Zidane's Floor You'd better not kill Giroud

Man Utd-Juventus pitch invader got into Old Trafford with toy guns.

This isn't good.
  2. Nov 2, 2018

dwd Saturday Night Spies

What an idiot. Gonna take even longer to get in the ground now.
  3. Nov 2, 2018

Oldyella Full Member

Whoever was on security on the gate his ticket was in will have some explaining to do.
  4. Nov 2, 2018

Rightfully so, if it stops some nutter getting onto the pitch with a gun, I'd happily queue for another ten minutes.
  5. Nov 2, 2018

sugar_kane Full Member

Maybe this guy got a transfer to OT:

6. Nov 2, 2018

Raw Full Member

Christ that's scary. Imagine if some complete nutter ran on the pitch and shot a player because some shite security guard couldn't be bothered to do his job.
  7. Nov 2, 2018

Adisa likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

It's impossible to stop and search everyone that goes into the ground.
    When I worked as a steward, we were told to pick people at random.
    For some brain dead reason, a lot of fans decided to enter the turnstiles no more than five minutes before KO then they complain the searching takes too long.
    Used to drive me mad.
  8. Nov 2, 2018

Or this guy

9. Nov 2, 2018

JB7 Full Member

Always found it strange there isn’t a turnstile to search people’s bags, similar to how women have their own steward/turnstile. Obviously the better result would just be to back people taking things like backpacks but I guess it’s just not practical unfortunately.
  10. Nov 2, 2018

Revaulx Full Member

My daughter turned up with a schoolbag last season and wasn't allowed in with it; she had to hand it in at a collection and holding point, and pick it up afterwards. The operation was surprisingly slick, and she retrieved the bag with a minimum of delay.

I had assumed this was the case for all but the smallest bags. Are away fans exempt, as they are more likely to have good reason to be carrying a bigger bag?
  11. Nov 2, 2018

Oldyella Full Member

Occular pat down is fine when you are an experienced bodyguard like Mac though.
  12. Nov 2, 2018

Red00012 Full Member

Why had he 2 toy guns ? You have to wonder about the mentality of some people.
  13. Nov 2, 2018

FootyGirl88

I thought we reviewed it after the last fiasco
  14. Nov 2, 2018

Needham Full Member

The way modern players dive they'd all be playing dead before he could pull the trigger.
  15. Nov 2, 2018

ivaldo Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

Duh. In case he lost the first one.
  16. Nov 2, 2018

dwd Saturday Night Spies

Already takes half an hour some games and the stewards are shit at searching anyway. They'll be extra security for the next game or so then it will go lax again. We need to install the scanners that they have in airports like they do in the Bernabeu and Camp Nou.
  17. Nov 2, 2018

JohnnyKills Full Member

This is ridiculous. They make everyone go through a bag check and someone gets in with a fecking toy gun?

Security needs to be reviewed immediately. The people they've got on the doors at the moment clearly aren't up to the job.
  18. Nov 2, 2018

JohnnyKills Full Member

This. It's the only option. Don't know why they haven't done it already.
  19. Nov 2, 2018

Broad Street Bullies Full Member

Well, let's hope it wasn't a plot to test the security for future incident.
  20. Nov 2, 2018

GE Negative Moaning Mentalist

:lol:
  21. Nov 2, 2018

BeforeKeanetherewasRobson Full Member

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
    After being arrested, he was detained under the Mental Health Act. Don't know details but may be a factor.
  22. Nov 2, 2018

jymufc20 Full Member

I don't see what there is to review, you get detected for metal on the way to the ground and the guy was carrying plastic toy guns.

What can they do other than strip search every fan incase they have a toy gun on them ?
  23. Nov 2, 2018

sullydnl Ross Kemp's caf ID

Even the security at airports is supposed to be terribly ineffective when tested isn't it? Even at best I'm not sure you can expect security at a football game to be much better.
  24. Nov 2, 2018

dwd Saturday Night Spies

They were in his bag apparently, so the stewards didn't search the bag properly. The issue is that if toy guns can be smuggled in then unfortunately real ones could be. A scanner of a bag could detect this much more efficiently rather than a bloke in a rush cos he's got loads of freezing United fans telling him to get a move on.
  25. Nov 2, 2018

RedDevil@84 Full Member

Why don't they send out a mail saying, people carrying backpacks and other baggages need to get into the ground early. All bags will be screened through an airport style scanner.
    So the ones without the backpack can wait and go in 5 minutes before time or whenever they feel like
  26. Nov 2, 2018

jojojo JoJoJoJoJoJo Staff

Welcome to Manchester reception committee
    There's already an instruction that says you can't take bags/backpacks into the ground. The exceptions are for megastore shopping in the megastore see through bags and handbag sized bags no larger than 20cm x 15cm x 5cm. Bigger bags go into lockers. So either someone did a bad search of a really small bag or someone let him in with a bigger (unsearched) bag. It's a weird story, if it's accurate.
  27. Nov 2, 2018

horsechoker Sailor vee, this is a right off.

Back in the days of Fergie and Keane you were scared to bring a gun into the ground. Now people have the confidence to just waltz in with a rocket launcher.
  28. Nov 2, 2018

IrishGlen Full Member

If it was a realistic imitation firearm, he’s looking at a 5 year minimum custodial as per the 1968 Act.

The article says it’s a plastic toy gun. One could imagine a water pistol coloured bright yellow / green from a pound shop. Which in turn makes it a bit silly to be writing articles on. Then on the other hand, Airsoft guns are made of plastic and given the recreational side of that activity could be classified as a “toy”. To go one step above, a Glock is predominately made of plastic.

I can’t remember the exact specifications however the percentage of plastic is high. If a man managed to get an airsoft gun into a full stadium after going through the security checks then policy needs to be reviewed and someone needs to be reprimanded.

I would’ve liked to have seen an accompanying picture of the “guns” in that article.
  29. Nov 2, 2018

Adisa likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

Would surprise you how many people refuse to listen. Some don't just want to arrive early. Doesn't matter how many warnings you issue.
  30. Nov 2, 2018

Cloud7 Full Member

:lol::lol:
  31. Nov 2, 2018

dwd Saturday Night Spies

Hardly easy arriving early in Manchester at the moment. The traffic is mental due to all the roadworks, construction. Even the team are late :lol:
  32. Nov 2, 2018

Offsideagain Full Member

I hate drummers at matches. When we played Basel last year some muppet smuggled a drum in. I complained to United and fair play they replied saying that the Basel fans had deconstructed this drum and also smuggled in flares. Astonishingly poor security. If fans can’t get in by kick off time then tough shit I say and yes I know what itl8ke getting into the ground even going early.

Security is paramount in my view. Imagine if some dick did get a bomb inside any ground and detonated it. The media would be in a frenzy. Unacceptable for this incident with the toy guns. Someone should lose their job.
  33. Nov 2, 2018

Jacko21 Full Member

The security gets progressively more lax as you get closer to kick-off. Just becomes a rush job.
  34. Nov 2, 2018

RedDevil@84 Full Member

Doesn't matter. If you arrive late, you go and stand in the long line of bag screening. If you miss first 15 mins of the game, you don't complain.
    Again, this is assuming United want to have better security.

Ideally, watching football should be a fun event with no big restrictions, but in the current era, where you don't know where the next danger is going to come from, there is little choice than to have extra security.
  35. Nov 2, 2018

jymufc20 Full Member

They would of scanned it with a metal detector, a real gun isn't getting in the stadium.

I agree on your second point though.
  36. Nov 2, 2018

shaky Full Member

I wouldn't say it's the fault of the people on the door not doing their job properly, more that it's completely unrealistic to expect them to be able to properly search 60,000 people in the space of an hour, especially considering that anyone trying to bring a weapon into a football ground will probably have it pretty well hidden. Short of airport-style security at each game, and telling everyone to get in line hours before kick-off, I'd suggest there's very little that can be done differently.
  37. Nov 2, 2018

clarkydaz Full Member

Likely the owners don't want to spend any money on it
  38. Nov 2, 2018

JohnnyKills Full Member

Imagine it's quite a high priority - massacre at the stadium wouldn't do much for all those commercial relationships they've got going on.
  39. Nov 2, 2018

decorativeed Full Member

Security everywhere is awful.

When I went to the cup final at Wembley in 2016, it was not too long after the Paris attacks, and there were no searches on the gates and loads of people letting off flares next to us. If you can get a flare in, you can probably get guns and explosives in.
  40. Nov 2, 2018

FujiVice Full Member

That is unacceptable at a Chuckle Brothers panto, let alone the biggest sporting franchise in the world. How is that allowed to happen? Morons.