Man Utd set to appoint Director of Football | Expected before next manager hired

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by RedMachine03, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Dec 5, 2018

el3mel Full Member

From 0-2 down to 3-2 up before ending 3-3.
  2. Dec 5, 2018

Adnan Twitter machine

So he still didn't win, I can show you even more capitulations and not necessarily against the big clubs either.
  3. Dec 5, 2018

endless_wheelies feeling dizzy

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42061044

2017/2018
    1. Man City
    P 13 GD 34 Pts 37
    2. Man Utd
    P 14 GD 24 Pts 32

2018-2019
    1 Man City
    P 15 GD 38 Pts 41
    2 Liverpool
    P 14 GD 22 Pts 36
    3 Chelsea
    P 14 GD 19 Pts 31
    4 Arsenal
    P 14 GD 14 Pts 30
  4. Dec 5, 2018

el3mel Full Member

Yes 0-2 to 3-3 isn't comeback at all. You love arguing right ?
  5. Dec 5, 2018

EwanI Ted Full Member

What elements of the surrounding structure are you alluding to?
  6. Dec 5, 2018

Adnan Twitter machine

Is this the same Wenger that took a team to Newcastle and squandered a 4-0 lead? I can give you many more examples. The problem with Wenger was that his teams were too soft and the game you mention was a exception not the norm.

Emery is a better tactician than Wenger and he's already proved that with Sevilla. Currently he's getting much more out of the players than Wenger ever did, which is my point.
  7. Dec 5, 2018

el3mel Full Member

I never said Arsenal didn't collapse several times under Wenger to give me examples. You claimed they never made comebacks, I brought videos, done ! Just admit you were wrong and move on, happens to the best of us!

Anyway away from this point (which is done for) still results wise this is exactly a routine Wenger season, great start and and competing for top 4 only thanks to their spending budgets. Wenger's team usually collapsed in Feb by getting away from top of the league and crashing out of CL, but they always started and finished the season great, even when they missed on top 4 the season before last (and they can still miss on it this season too btw). Last season was the only example, when they were ultra shite the whole season.

Anyone saying otherwise either has pretty short memories, talking on behalf of last season only or didn't even watch Wenger's Arsenal of the last decade. That's their routine season, we can talk when they're competing for the league again which will be the new thing.
  8. Dec 5, 2018

Roboc7 Full Member

Moyes failed because he was completely out of his depth and has already peaked, LVG was just looking for one last pay day, was out of touch and again had already peaked. Mourinho has snapped at some poor earlier in his career and best days are long gone.

None should have been employed, all were given plenty of backing and under achieved. All three managers have got away pretty lightly in terms of reactions, they have been given way more support than they would have got even at smaller less successful teams.

Woodward shouldn’t be allowed to recruit the next manager and the structure could clearly be improved. But all three managers failed because they weren’t good enough and have been left behind in modern football.
  9. Dec 5, 2018

MackRobinson Full Member

Supports:
    Football
    Your mistake was thinking @CA1 and @shamans can have nuanced opinions beyond "Glazers out". I cringe every time I read their posts.
  10. Dec 5, 2018

shamans Hoser

1) quoting me for having a glazers out opinion
    2) I have no history of specifically saying that
    3) logic.
  11. Dec 5, 2018

Adnan Twitter machine

I said I h
    I never said they didn't make come backs. What I said 'I doubt' they would've under Wenger. Big difference...

Emery has already won a European final coming from behind to defeat Klopps Liverpool. Something Wenger never managed in his entire career.

The point is Emery is getting far more out of players like Xhaka than Wenger ever did and most Arsenal fans are in agreement.
  12. Dec 5, 2018

Bojan11 Full Member

Any competent CEO would have sacked Mourinho.

I’m not going to blame Mourinho because a normal club would have sacked him by now.
  13. Dec 6, 2018

Adnan Twitter machine

He can't sack him until the owners give him the go ahead. But I won't be surprised if he's currently in discussions with someone regarding the position of manager here.
  14. Dec 6, 2018

Isotope Full Member

Yeh. I think if you, I, and thousands of people can see this is not working, I strongly believe that Ed knows this also. Even if he can't think so, he must have people advising him on footballing wise.

Ed is a CEO of multi billion worth company. I refuse to believe the majority of us are smarter than him and his people.
  15. Dec 6, 2018

Adnan Twitter machine

I don't like getting into arguments over the board normally but Woodward without a doubt is a very intelligent man. I do believe he will get the DoF in before too long aswell.
  16. Dec 6, 2018

Isotope Full Member

It's about time. Although I don't know how much difference it will make, if he keep choosing the wrong manager and persist with them. Spurs is doing well because they're ruthless with managers, and eventually picked the right man. So are many other big club, like Barca, Madrid, and Bayern.
  17. Dec 6, 2018

Adnan Twitter machine

Woodward is a intelligent man and will have learned a great deal in what he's seen thus far since SAF retired. I believe he will opt for a manager that will surprise alot of people. The best thing that could happen to us is that there isn't anyone obvious available. So I hope people like Zidane get snapped up by Bayern so we can focus on managers who I believe would be a better fit like Eddie Howe, who is a brilliant young coach and would understand the traditions of the club better than most.
  18. Dec 6, 2018

devilish Juventus fan who used to support United

I think its between Zidane or the Pochs.
  19. Dec 6, 2018

Isotope Full Member

Pochs would be my pick. He's like a typical lovely and sweet neighbor girl that's suitable as long-term gf/wife, while Zidane is like that super model girlfriend that fulfill your wildest dream but you just know she will eventually leave you shortly. Imho.
  20. Dec 6, 2018

Escobar Poster originally known as Michel04

What a clueless idiot. He has no idea how to lead this club and whenever we're in a crisis, he stands still in shock
  21. Dec 7, 2018

CA1 Banned

Phil Brown and Andy Mitten on a recent podcast have confirmed what I've heard a few times that Alderweireld was available for just 30 million days before the window shut but Woodward said no.

Google Beyond The Pitch
  22. Dec 7, 2018

spiriticon Full Member

It doesn't matter if Alderweireld joins for 10, 30 or 100 million.

If he joins Mourinho he'd be shit.
  23. Dec 7, 2018

Judas Open to offers

Of course CA1 is ITK, didn't see that one coming.
  24. Dec 7, 2018

Stacks Full Member

Yes. Oh the difference a competent manager makes. I mean its not as if Woodward hasn't backed his managers more than Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs, Real Madrid, Everton, Bournemouth etc
  25. Dec 7, 2018

Rhyme Animal Modmins said "freeze" and I got numb

Thing is mate, Arsenal's owners had a chance to switch managers and got it right first time.

It's Woodward who keeps appointing the wrong ones... and in this case, then gave them a contract extension before not backing them...
  26. Dec 7, 2018

Reddy Rederson Full Member

Didnt I read that klopp demanded some changes in regards to how transfers worked before he signed on?
  27. Dec 7, 2018

Stacks Full Member

true. he is definitely not blame free
  28. Dec 7, 2018

JPRouve can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate

The press said that he demanded complete control but since it's never a thing, you can safely say that it's BS.
  29. Dec 7, 2018

Reddy Rederson Full Member

Fair enough.
  30. Dec 7, 2018

JPRouve can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate

Though, I forgot that Edwards role was changed and that they formally introduced the DOF role. So my statement was wrong anyway.
  31. Dec 7, 2018

sunama Baghdad Bob

This is actually a very good point you made. I never thought of it this way.
    He is basically getting similar deals to what other clubs in the top 4 are getting. The difference being that because we have a bigger fan-base, he is able to bring in more sponsors and when convincing sponsors, he can use the fact that we have a bigger fan base and have more eyes watching our games.

To be fair, the guys who are trying to get sponsors for clubs at the bottom of our league deserve more credit (as they have a harder time making the "sale"), than a club who is well known and in big demand.

If SAF had not done the hard work (turning us into serial winners), then Woodward would definitely not be getting the deals done, like he is doing, today.
  32. Dec 7, 2018

sunama Baghdad Bob

Anybody could make the mistake of hiring a manager who ends up failing, but giving a contract extension, then not backing that manager in the Summer is mind-boggling.

That wouldn't surprise me.
    Woodie was trying to save money (probably to balance the books). It doesn't take a genius to work this out.
  33. Dec 7, 2018

sunama Baghdad Bob

I keep saying exactly this.
    There are some people on this forum who say, "we should not let Jose spend £XM in the transfer window.
    Why not? Any money saved will more than likely end up The Glazers' bank account and Woodie will take a bonus.
    At least if the money is spent on players, it means that that money is invested in the team and it may help us on the pitch. It also means that for a certain duration of time (until the player is sold), that money won't end up in the account of the The Glazers.

I don't support the Glazers. I don't support a business. I support our on-pitch performance which is why I want money spent on our team and also the stadium infrastructure.

I am convinced that the money saved last Summer will somehow end up in the Glazers' pockets.
  34. Dec 7, 2018

Josep Dowling Full Member

I keep reading that Arsenal are doing so much better under Emery. The only difference is the fans are on side this season. They are still 5th and lets bare in mind they have no Champions League to worry about. Emery has played second fiddle line ups in the Europa League so their best players are fit and ready every weekend. Their problem under Wenger was they couldn't beat the top 6, they have managed a win again Spurs at home again top 6 opponents this season. Other than the fact they press the ball I see no difference with them this season.

It's the same thing with Chelsea, Spurs and Liverpool. There is a media love in with all of them because of the way they play but the fact remains all of them won't win anything at the end of season bare maybe the FA cup.
  35. Dec 7, 2018

red thru&thru Full Member

Difference is, under Jose, our football has never been good. Yess we've had a few good halves a season but never consistent. The likes of Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea etc have improved their football. Yes they may not win every game, at least you can see the type of football they're trying to play and where what they're trying to achieve. 2 plus years on, I still have no clue what football Jose is trying to achieve with us, to make us win titles again?!
  36. Dec 7, 2018

Raees Legal Guardian of the Football forums

There has been much speculation about why Woodward seems to keen to keep Mourinho until the end of the season and whilst most people would argue that it is for financial reasons - is there any possibility that he just buys into the argument of back the manager at all costs until they have mathematically ruled themselves out of being allowed to stay and therefore is basically one of our own (from a matchday goers perspective)?

Would any of our fans actually do a better job than him in terms of handling the managerial affairs of the club on the pitch or would they too be stuck in this prolonged cycle of being hesitatant to pull the plug and thinking it’s just a case of underperforming players?

The only sign of dissatisfaction on behalf of Woodward has been the refusal to sign a extra CB in the summer and older players but in general he’s backed the manager beyond what most people would consider reasonable.

So is it conceivable he is just a Top Red or is it really just all about the penny pinching for Woodward. What is his overall vision and purpose for the club and for this season?
  37. Dec 7, 2018

Rhyme Animal Modmins said "freeze" and I got numb

Stellar post. Hats off to you, Sir.

Totally agree with every point.
  38. Dec 7, 2018

FootyGirl88

Top red? More like a top clown
  39. Dec 7, 2018

MaxiPaxi likes to shove his mum's boiled eggs up his rectum

Top bellend.
  40. Dec 7, 2018

Samid follows Pogue around, fixing his images