Man Utd set to appoint Director of Football (when hell freezes over)

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by RedMachine03, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Apr 12, 2019

Jim Beam Full Member

If we are after him, we can land him without doubt.

Only if Ed starts the talking with, yeah Paul you are DoF, but the way I see it...
  2. Apr 12, 2019

The Nani Full Member

Please let this be true.

Mitchell wouldn’t take the job to be Ed’s PR boy. This would signal real change.
  3. Apr 12, 2019

red thru&thru Full Member

Ideally Mitchell and then followed by Edwin vS...with Ed Wood eased out of ANY football duties
  4. Apr 12, 2019

Lash Full Member

Supports:
    Millwall, Saint-Etienne
    See Minsilat went to Stuttgart in the end. I could see Mitchell being in a technical director role, as that doesn't seem to be much of a step up from Head of Recruiting. That being said, I still think we'll see it being internal.
  5. Apr 12, 2019

deadrevelz Banned

That is a problem yes. It comes down to whether Ed is willing and able to hire a competent candidate who will put the football before the finance. Of course Ed will get final say on what budget is available but if there is no power in the DoF position and Ed gets to choose how and where the money is spent, I don't see things getting much better.

We need someone who is knowledgeable and forward thinking. They should know how all the success clubs operate and be able to copy and implement them at United as well as creating their own solutions. They should respect United's traditions but not be afraid to improve them.
  6. Apr 12, 2019

Coops73 Full Member

I don’t know too much about Paul Mitchell but seeing some of the players he was behind recruiting at Southampton and Tottenham it would seem he has a good eye, i also read somewhere that if he sees youth coming through the clubs system he’ll hold back on signing a player in their position so as to allow them a route into the first team.

He sounds ideal for us, can’t wait for Ed to sell him the “Disneyland” dream.
  7. Apr 12, 2019

Patrick08 Full Member

8. Apr 12, 2019

Judas Open to offers

Not new news, but still massively fecking depressing.
  9. Apr 12, 2019

ArjenIsM3 Full Member

10. Apr 12, 2019

Ban Full Member

So basically Ed is searching for a DOF who'll be a yes man.
  11. Apr 12, 2019

Carl has permanently erect nipples

Which has been a huge concern all along.
  12. Apr 12, 2019

Infra-red Full Member

13. Apr 12, 2019

JPRouve can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate

14. Apr 12, 2019

Class of 63 Full Member

15. Apr 12, 2019

BrianMcClair'sBarnet Full Member

Hmm.
  16. Apr 12, 2019

Adisa likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

Doubt it mean much.
  17. Apr 12, 2019

Inigo Montoya Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

He’s not a DOF, Rangnick is, so there which might mean there’s something in this if we offer him the post.
    He’s also a Mancunian
  18. Apr 12, 2019

#CR7 Full Member

As long as he's still in and around the squad on matchdays and is still involved in the training to some extent, I'd be all for him taking a bit more of a backseat to operate as a technical director.
  19. Apr 12, 2019

Adnan Full Member

De Ligt wasn't gonna leave Ajax at such a young age. Bayern made a concerted effort to sign him but De Ligt wanted to develop at his boyhood club. We signed Fosu Mensah because his family wanted the move and he was considered along with De Ligt the two stand out talents. It seems like Langley is talking bollox.
  20. Apr 12, 2019

limerickcitykid There once was a kid from Toronto...

And yet Upamecano still had already agreed to join us. He is pretty much the perfect example. The move was all agreed upon until we fecked around and messed it up like several other academy signings at the time. As well as Dayot's agent coming out and saying that they changed their mind because we promised him a flat and then changed it to living with a host family and we wouldn't pay for his parents to visit. So he's in fact the perfect example of the board completely fecking shit up.
  21. Apr 13, 2019

JPRouve can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate

That's not what he said, he and his mom picked Salzburg for football and because of the environment, he mentions the numerous french speakers. He does say that he didn't want to live in a host family and preferred to be in a dorm.
    https://www.sofoot.com/dayot-upamecano-j-ai-toujours-eu-un-corps-d-adulte-465944.html
  22. Apr 13, 2019

All 3 United His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.

We have a catch 22. We need a Dof but to appoint a decent one we have the man who has a history of making the worst football decisions on planet earth!

Can someone else please look at appointing a dof other than Woodward !
  23. Apr 13, 2019

Suedesi Full Member

This ain't happening, right lads?
  24. Apr 13, 2019

croadyman New Member

Don't just stand still United and let Arsenal/Chelsea recruit a guy born and bred in Manchester, he obviously really wants the job and looked at some of the players he has unearthed in recent years for Southampton & Spurs, surely that has got to stand for something

Ed needs to realise that he can't control the football side of things and he badly needs someone who has proper understanding of scouting and has a real eye for talent
  25. Apr 13, 2019

Adnan Full Member

Andy Mitten, Mark Ogden, James Ducker and Robson have reported in the last month that Mitchell won't be someone we bring in. They could be wrong and Sky could be right of course.
  26. Apr 13, 2019

Wazza4Gaffa New Member

A DoF makes too much sense and as a fan of Manchester United, and knowing our recent history, we will either not end up recruiting one or recruiting one who is nothing more than a puppet to Ed
  27. Apr 13, 2019

Muhammad Fauzi Banned

We won’t appoint one or it will be someone from internal as always the board want to kept their money in pocket.
  28. Apr 13, 2019

Muhammad Fauzi Banned

Just want to keep quiet and watch what will happen to this club in the long term. Will it be crumble or rise again
  29. Apr 13, 2019

croadyman New Member

Yeah that is worrying because they're all reliable sources when it comes to Utd particularly Mitten. I know it's sounds negative but fear the worst with a potential internal appointment

They are just going to be a yes man in Ed Woodwards back pocket and will do what the board tells them
  30. Apr 14, 2019

RedCoffee Rants that backfired

It needs to happen soon otherwise the summer will be chaos once again.
  31. Apr 14, 2019

Bestietom Full Member

Why should Woodward be given the job of bringing a DOF into our club. Surely it should be down to the board or senior members. Woodward will only bring in a YES man.

What we need is someone to take over the reins from Woodward and sort out the whole wage structure and be able to negotiate contracts in the right way.
  32. Apr 14, 2019

Bubz27 No I won’t change your tag line

It's probably too late for this summer already.
  33. Apr 16, 2019

JEredDevil New Member

Wasn't there talk about King Eric returning as DOF few months back? Is it impossible now?
  34. Apr 16, 2019

Roboc7 Full Member

It’s going to be someone internal I imagine so same people will effectively remain in charge of transfers, the only difference will be Ole instead of Jose.

If they wanted someone external it would have been resolved much earlier to allow that person to have some kind of impact this summer, it’s too late now.
  35. Apr 16, 2019

Infra-red Full Member

This is most likely correct.
  36. Apr 16, 2019

JEredDevil New Member

Sir Alex maybe? :drool:
  37. Apr 16, 2019

mitchmouse Full Member

time we bloody well got on with it...
  38. Apr 16, 2019

breakout67 Full Member

Supports:
    Man City
    First we heard that with Moaninho out we can get a DoF

Then we heard that the new permanent manager and DoF will work together

Now Ole's at the wheel and we are going to promote from within

Woodward and co. don't see past the balance sheets, they care more about our next quarter results than our performance on the pitch. They are delighted that Ole has taken the spotlight off them, and it wasn't even their own man it was someone else's recommendation (probably SAF).
  39. Apr 16, 2019

Waynne New Member

As long as Woodward is in charge I dont see an end to the mess this club is in.
    Unfortunately this club will continue on this path for years to come unless someone in the higher ups removes Woodwaed 100 percent from all football related matters and a Director of Football is appointed by a group of executives who know the club and its philosophy on the pitch.
    It's too late now doe anyone coming in to have any meaningful impact on our transfers and to build for the following season.
    This inability or lacklustre effort to plan ahead is the Achilles heel of the this club and the one part that infuriates me to no end as a fan.
    I dont care if we get hammered 3-0 by West Ham or Wolves, I know we are not there yet. Just show me some sort of fecking plan for the future apart from changing managers left and right.
    I will take a loss knowing we building some sort of championship winning side.
  40. Apr 16, 2019

Coops73 Full Member

Maybe the new owners are waiting to have their say first.