Man Utd v Marseille odds suggest draw is a good result

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Niall, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Feb 18, 2011

Niall All Powerful Super Being

Man Utd take on Marseille in the Champions League Second Round and the first leg will be played in the Stade Velodrome in Marseille, before United take on the French side at Old Trafford. It is expected that Man Utd will qualify from this stage but how will they fare in France?

Man Utd are favourites to win the first leg, they are a shade odds against with most bookies which suggests it won?t be easy, Marseille need a result in this match if they are to have much chance of progressing and they are around the 5/2 mark to win the game whilst the draw is available at around 9/4. Man Utd have not been at their best on their travels in the Premiership, winning just three of their twelve matches but in the Champions League they have been better, winning all three of their away games, not conceding a single goal.

Marseille won two of their three home games in the Champions League, that included a win against Chelsea, and all three of their home games finished 1-0, pointing the way for a low scoring game here, under 2.5 goals looks a decent bet at around 8/15, whilst a win or a draw looks most likely for United to take back to Old Trafford.

Man Utd are currently the fourth favourites to win the Champions League, surprisingly they are behind Chelsea in the pecking order, Chelsea are around the 5/1 mark whilst Man Utd are as big as 8/1, the value between those two clubs certainly seems to lie with United. United can certainly make it further than Chelsea, Chelsea are favourites to progress furthest out of the British clubs at around 11/8, Man Utd look a good bet to do so at 2/1 at the moment.

For all the latest match odds visit Valuechecker.co.uk.
  2. Feb 18, 2011

Crustanoid Full Member

Now it's the knock out round I think we can expect SAF to revert to the conservative style he has used to good effect for the last few years, in all the away legs. Particularly when it's the away leg first, we always look like the underdogs, even when it's a supposedly weaker team.
  3. Feb 18, 2011

Red Indian Chief Torn Rubber Thus says Kemo

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
    A score draw would be a great result. But we should be good enough to win.
  4. Feb 18, 2011

Jacob Full Member

I'd be pleased with anything up to a one-goal loss because we'll smash them at OT.
  5. Feb 18, 2011

misterredmist Full Member

It's a tough place to go , and a Gallas goal sunk us there about 10 years ago....

I've seen them get gubbed by a Torres and Stevie Me inspired Dippers side a few years back but generally seems a tough place to pitch up at.

Score draw would be a good effort IMHO.
  6. Feb 18, 2011

Twigginater WUM Alert!

Would take a 1-1 if you offered it me now.
  7. Feb 18, 2011

Cina hell hath no fury like a Cina scorned

Yep, a draw is always a good result away from home in the knockouts, whether you're playing Marseilla or Barca. A score draw is even better.
  8. Feb 18, 2011

42 euros Aka Giggs 11 times

Looking at their recent ligue form they don't seem to score many but they don't concede much either. Low score looks very likely. Gignac has been scoring most of their goals as well recently. I'd say I can't see us losing this one but then I'd jinx us.

Like 2/1 for us to progress the furthest of English clubs.
  9. Feb 18, 2011

Jiggs'Hamstring Full Member

I don't watch very much of them, but I have to say they've got a strong XI on paper
  10. Feb 18, 2011

Rado_N Grinner ruined my tagline

We'll win 1-0.
  11. Feb 18, 2011

KingEric7 Conspiracy enthusiast

It's probably not a great result against Marseille for a club of Manchester United's stature. Saying that, I'd take it now if offered given our away form.

Can't wait, it's been far too long since our last European match.