1. We've added a new Women's Team sub-forum to discuss all things related to the new United Women's Team.

Also, the FCUoM forum has been closed due to inactivity, with its threads moved to the Football Forum. To discuss FCUoM and Salford City moving forward, please use this sticky thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Man Utd's outdated Website & Social Media| New website launched

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Jig1234, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Jan 27, 2018

Jig1234 Full Member

This is something that has bugged me for years and it still has not improved since.

The club is currently promoting this ridiculous opt-in form on Twitter so fans can stay 'up to date'.

Why don't they just release a mobile Android/iOS app?

Why don't they improve that tedious, outdated website. Or Make a YouTube/ Snapchat account. Odd how they've allowed Man City to have better social media than us.

This needs to be addressed.

What do you guys think?
  2. Jan 27, 2018

NotBrendanRodgers honest Banned

Supports:
    Liverpool
    It's crazy that a club the size of utd doesn't have a Youtube channel, these small things will make a big difference in attracting the new generation of fans imo
  3. Jan 27, 2018

Trizy Full Member

If they haven't done it by now, they never will.

Would love if we had a youtube channel.
  4. Jan 27, 2018

izec Full Member

Dont care.
  5. Jan 27, 2018

MuranoLover Full Member

Don't care
  6. Jan 27, 2018

2 man midfield Incestuous Modern Woman (Dumper!)

I'm not bothered. The only reason I go to the website is to book tickets. I don't follow the club on social media, and have none of the players on snapchat. If you're into that kind of thing then good luck to you, but I can't see it attracting any new fans. Wouldn't you support a team because of their football rather than their YouTube channel?
  7. Jan 27, 2018

vi1lain caf sexpert

Twitter is better than an app for forming a base for your social media platform.

The app would be an extension of the website - so you can see a catalog of videos, pics, interviews etc.
    Plus would be a great place to manage tickets.

YouTube requires videographers, directors, producers etc - and Man United currently outsource these to freelancers, which i think is one of the reasons why we don’t have YouTube.
    A club our size would have a global impact, and would probably require multiple video creatives all over the world to accommodate it, hence why it’s easier to outsource.

But we do have a great instagram.

Overall I think we’re moving in the right direction, but the website is definitely outdated.
    But I don’t think the website is as big a deal
  8. Jan 27, 2018

Tom Van Persie No relation

Don't really care tbh. Our twitter account is good enough to keep up to date with news and what not.
  9. Jan 27, 2018

Skills Snitch

The websites fine. I don't get the issue people have with?

It's relatively clean and not very buggy. The other club websites are a car crash in comparison.
  10. Jan 27, 2018

Acole9 Outstanding

People get way too hung up about this kind of stuff. I agree with your point about the opting out of emails though, I'm finding that to be quite annoying. I've already clarified what content I want to see and don't want to see yet I keep getting inundated with emails about it.

As for YouTube, the club is on pretty much every other platform so if they wanted to have a channel they would've done it already. I can't imagine the demand is there for a channel, what would you want to see on it? I know it's not everyone's cup of tea but I like channels like Full Time Devils getting the perspective from other fans and no in club propaganda.
  11. Jan 27, 2018

Supports:
    Liverpool
    You are very very wrong mate and not thinking of the future if you think these things don't attract new fans. My 9 year old nephew is an Arsenal supporter because of all the Arsenal memes online and their Youtube presence like AFTV (even though that is third party)
  12. Jan 27, 2018

kps88 Full Member

Yeah I don't understand it either.
  13. Jan 27, 2018

pcaming Full Member

The website has been in development for years and years now, I'm not sure what the hold up is really. I think we don't have a youtube due to having MUTV and probably a few other licensing and sponsorship issues. The rest of our social media presence is quite good, Facebook, Insta, Snapchat, Line, Twitter are all buzzing and regularly posted on.

Ps. the website has been updated in a way already, there is the mobile version of it, which is quite nice, I'm not sure why it reverts to the traditional layout in full desktop mode.

Ps #2 we do have a mobile app, but again it is licensed out. If your country doesn't have access to it, it's because no one has sponsored the app in your region.
  14. Jan 27, 2018

Bubz27 Full Member

Anything that would go on a YouTube channel goes on MUTV, and people pay for that.

The website is shite and needs sorting.

Literally no point comparing to City. Some of you love having a dick swinging contest with them.
  15. Jan 27, 2018

Freak Born a freak always a freak.

Their ticketing system is pretty bad and outdated to be honest. The main site and the ticketing site have to have 2 separate passwords. Even something as simple as a booking confirmation for a stadium tour has a line that says 'ignore the dates stated below in italics'; how about you omit that bloody line so as to not confuse users.
  16. Jan 27, 2018

Those things where people make fun of them for being shit?
  17. Jan 27, 2018

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Yeah sounds silly but I guess youngsters are attracted to it and have completely different sense of humours than the older generations :lol:

I doubt that mate, look at City and Liverpools channels, they have things like matchday Tunnel cams, player quizzes, funny videos of players etc which are not made for TV
  18. Jan 27, 2018

haram Full Member

Get Jesse running the youtube channel
  19. Jan 27, 2018

SaboTaj Full Member

Some of the older fans might be indifferent towards the club’s social media presence, but in this day and age for a sporting behemoth like Manchester United, which generates a huge amount of content periodically, it is criminal to have zero presence on Youtube.
  20. Jan 27, 2018

Flytan Full Member

It's called exposure. The reason United has a fan base as big as it is is due to the exposure of the club compared to previous teams in decades past. You can't be a fan of something you don't see. Without YouTube and a decent website (yes, those are important in 2018) we will lose potential fans.
  21. Jan 27, 2018

sullydnl Ross Kemp's caf ID

As a fan I don't care.

If I was working for the club then I probably would though as that sort of stuff should in theory be rather important for a business like Manchester United.
  22. Jan 27, 2018

Acole9 Outstanding

MUTV (Bobbins channel I know) Do player quizzes, funny videos. Tunnel cams, you can see the players lining up in the tunnel on Sky, BT, BBC etc.
  23. Jan 27, 2018

EyeInTheSky Full Member

Also the money it would bring in. People with far less than a few hundred thousand subscribers are making money. Imagine the millions that would subscribe and generate commercially
  24. Jan 27, 2018

I'd be surprised if it made a significant impact tbh. Still, I could be proved wrong in a few years when Arsenal overtake us as the worlds most supporter club due to a new generation of football sadists!
  25. Jan 27, 2018

Nate Dogg Don't Make Me Angry

So is Old Trafford but the Glazers don't care!!
  26. Jan 27, 2018

jungledrums Full Member

Therein lies the problem. It’s quite enjoyable watching interviews/footage of training sessions, which unfortunately city broadcast on YouTube, hence the comparison to them. It would be good if our club also showed that content for free on YouTube, rather than on a shite service like MUTV. An official United channel with the right marketing would garner millions of subscribers. As has been alluded to, in the age of social media, that could perhaps promote the expansion of United’s fan base.
  27. Jan 27, 2018

dove Full Member

Website is a joke. I don't visit it often (well, how could someone visit this crap everyday) but when I do it feels like I used a time machine to go back 15 years...
  28. Jan 27, 2018

Drawfull Full Member

I was looking at the 16/17 turnover figures from Deloitte the other day, and whilst we're raking it in financially, we're miles behind both Real and Barca in terms of social media following. I was pretty surprised, to be honest.

It certainly needs a rethink - especially since we've allegedly the largest global fanbase. The website is shocking, and I only have us on Twatter outside of that.
  29. Jan 27, 2018

littlepeasoup Full Member

United committing to flooding YouTube with content would basically be constructive dismissal for a lot of MUTV staff. The moment they decide MUTV is no longer viable is the moment the club turns to YouTube, etc.

FullTimeDEVILS.
  30. Jan 27, 2018

shamans 1 set of sheets, optimistic about chances of sex

What is this supposed to mean? Yes people are into entertainment and there is nothing wrong with that. I support a team because of the entertainment they give me and United need to work more on the social media front.
  31. Jan 27, 2018

Damien Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin) Staff

In terms of twitter, we only started using that properly once Fergie retired. Real and Barca had a 4-5 year head start on us there and of course we've not been great in that time while Real and Barca have been multiple CL winners in the time their accounts have been up.
  32. Jan 27, 2018

shamans 1 set of sheets, optimistic about chances of sex

The website is extremely embarrassing. It's not even freshman college level and that is no exaggeration.
  33. Jan 27, 2018

RC89 Full Member

Would be brilliant to have a YouTube channel of all the pressers. Highlights of Reserve/Academy games and maybe a news outlet type of video every now and then.
  34. Jan 27, 2018

Hammerfell Full Member

That's the spirit, never try to be the best.
  35. Jan 27, 2018

nokillingmoths Full Member

You sound like you've lost touch completely here mate :lol:

Don't get me wrong i have no interest in snapchat but for attracting younger fans this stuff is crucial. They live their lives on it. Yeah good football is important, but the way you reach young fans is as well.
  36. Jan 27, 2018

ChaddyP Full Member

Supports:
    Banned from Pogba thread
    We definitely need a youtube channel.

Our Instagram and twitter game is on point

I don't see why the website is slammed so often. It doesn't need to be fancy, it needs to work and be effective. It does that bucket loads. A youtube channel would be the grand though and would fund it self with add money
  37. Jan 27, 2018

VivaObertan Transfer Voyeur

Nah. The MUTV staff just use a different medium to deliver their content.
  38. Jan 27, 2018

Sandikan aka sex on the beach

Agree. We're really struggling fan base wise :smirk:
  39. Jan 27, 2018

Salus Populi Suprema Lex Full Member

Admins, Andy Tate is posting under more than one username.
  40. Jan 27, 2018

ChaddyP Full Member

Supports:
    Banned from Pogba thread
    Silly comment. Completely missed the posters point about attracting newer younger fans.