Manchester City 18/19 discussion

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Bergman, Jul 21, 2018.

1. Feb 10, 2019

Random Task Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

All credit to the man.

Amazing gesture.
  2. Feb 10, 2019

VorZakone What would Kenny G do?

Their win today convinced me that they'll win the title. Too much firepower. I don't think Liverpool can keep up the pace to hold City behind them.
  3. Feb 10, 2019

Denis_unwise New Member

City have far more £40 Mill + players than Liverpool. I don't think Liverpool have a player that cost £40 Mill + apart from the 2 WR transfers. City also took 1 of there marquee signings from Liverpool.

It's much like the criticisms leveled at us under SAF. We were regularly accused of buying the league due to breaking transfer records. The truth was we were spending large amounts on single players whereas our competitors were spending similar amounts on multiple players.

City are way ahead of everyone in regards to squad cost & wage bill. All rivalries aside, it would be a remarkable achievement if Liverpool were to win the league.
  4. Feb 10, 2019

BlueMoonOutcast Full Member

Supports:
    Manchester City
    United have a higher wage bill than we do.
  5. Feb 10, 2019

sp_107 New Member

In last 6 years City made good 40mil signings where UTD failed and now all those 40mil cap players become 80£ mil players !! I think their Spanish board did well in pulling players like Jesus, sane, KDB, Sterling, silva, mehrez, walker, Laporte.. Stoned etc etc ..

Can't believe Richarlison price tag is 80mil now
  6. Feb 10, 2019

TrustInJanuzaj Full Member

Yeh if we exclude the backhand payments...
  7. Feb 10, 2019

Denis_unwise New Member

You don't honestly believe that do you? The recent leaks showed that Mancini was being payed 2 salaries, management & consultancy. The consultancy wage was paid off the books to circumvent FFP. This kind of deal obviously won't be on the table to every member of staff. There will be quite a few players deemed indispensable. These players will be on Mancini style deals. Your wage bill is vastly more than is reported. This is how you have managed to keep players from moving to bigger clubs.
  8. Feb 11, 2019

kaiser1 New Member

Supports:
    Bayern Munich
    This was what I saw for the latest wage bill in Europe

Club League Wage Bill
    Barcelona La Liga €487m
    Real Madrid La Liga €395m
    Manchester United Premier League €337m
    Manchester City Premier League €296m
    Paris Saint-Germain Ligue 1 €272m*
    Bayern Munich Bundesliga €265m*
    Juventus Serie A €259m
    Chelsea Premier League €256m*
    Liverpool Premier League €241m*
    Arsenal Premier League €232m*
  9. Feb 11, 2019

Attila Full Member

Supports:
    Trad Bricks
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.te...aid-roberto-mancini175m-offshore-account/amp/

City also pay some staff using the city group thing they have or something which if I remember correctly shaves tens of millions off the actual number. There was a good article about the accounting tricks they employ but I can't remember where it was from so can't link it
  10. Feb 11, 2019

kaiser1 New Member

Supports:
    Bayern Munich
    Don't you think Man utd also pay LvG and Mourinho somehow and Chelsea still pay Conte and other ex staff
  11. Feb 11, 2019

Attila Full Member

Supports:
    Trad Bricks
    Yeah but the point is our costs are included in the total wage bill while citys aren't so you can't compare them
  12. Feb 11, 2019

Attila Full Member

Supports:
    Trad Bricks
    http://swissramble.blogspot.com/2016/09/manchester-united-power-in-darkness.html?m=1

Then there's stuff like this, who knows what tricks they are up to these days

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/manchester-city-hid-40m-off-wage-bill-lnhc90fcn
  13. Feb 11, 2019

kouroux 45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Ask the Lyon manager. The one and only Genesio
  14. Feb 11, 2019

RochaRoja Full Member

Hope that Fernandinho is unavailable, City take their foot off the gas and be massively jammy? Not exactly foolproof is it?
  15. Feb 11, 2019

Ban Full Member

From the best team in Europe to being lucky to be close to fabulous City team.
  16. Feb 11, 2019

Adisa likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

City's money does not detract from their success. I'm convinced we would not have been as successful as them even if we matched them for spending over the last five years. There is so much that goes into being successful.
    Haven said that, I do not believe for a second our wage bill is higher than theirs. Those documents show how City operate.
    You want to tell me Aguero does not earn up to £300,000 a week? This is a club that offered Kaka half a million a week, over a decade ago.
  17. Feb 11, 2019

Zehner Full Member

Supports:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Think this is overlooked quite often. City is managed brillantly for years now. I think there are few clubs in the world that had such a clear vision and pursued it that relentlessly. They saw Barca's success under Pep and decided that they want this, too, so they essentially build a modern version of the club with great infrastructure, managerial talent, scouting, academy and so forth. The Pep signing finally was the icing on the cake. I don't think Guardiola went to City because of money. He did it because they prepared everything for him and he found the perfect conditions to execute his idea of football. Essentially a Barca copy without the politics.
  18. Feb 11, 2019

Adisa likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

He said it yesterday. Of course the money is good but he could have made it elsewhere. He went there cause the people knew him and knew they would have faith in his work. Another club would have sacked him after his first season.
  19. Feb 11, 2019

Che Guevara New Member

Supports:
    Celtic
    I would like to see Liverpool win the title to reward all their hard work in recent years, but City are absolutely scary right now. The City bench is stronger than the starting line-ups of most PL teams.
  20. Feb 11, 2019

Rooney in Paris Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down Scout

Completely untrue.
  21. Feb 11, 2019

adexkola Arsenal supporter

Me, and you. Yo momma, and yo cousin too.
    Supports:
    orderly disembarking on planes
    Because I'm bored...

First XI

Sane Aguero Sterling

D.Silva Fernandinho De Bruyne

Mendy Laporte Stones Walker

Ederson
    Second XI

Jesus

Foden Mahrez

Gundogan Delph B. Silva

Zinchenko Kompany Otamendi Danilo

Muric
    I think there are 7 out of 19 teams who can field a starting 11 stronger than that second string.
  22. Feb 11, 2019

roonster09 Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

Would be weird if we paid Van Gaal as he signed 3 year contract in 2014.
  23. Feb 11, 2019

Denis_unwise New Member

Mancini was earning more in his consultancy role than his management role. The mind boggles at what the true wages of Silva, KDB & Aguero are.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...bu-dhabi-money-second-contract-sheikh-mansour

You are right in 1 aspect. Moyes, LVG & Jose could have been given as much money as City managers & still wouldn't have won a title. We would have won at least 1 title in the last 5 years if we had hired a manager who had respected the club & played the Utd way & had a spend comparable to City. It's not really rocket science. I didn't rate Pellegrini as a manager. yet he won a title at City by spending a boat load of cash & playing attacking football. We now have Ole who is an unproven manager. We have 25 out of a possible 27 points & are scoring more than we have in the last 5 years. We give the Glazers & Woody plenty of stick. Ole is now showing though how bad a job the previous managers did.
  24. Feb 11, 2019

Skills Snitch

Look at the numbers for those seasons. We were spending 20-30m a season while mourinho and Chelsea were spending 120-150m. About 3-5x more than us.

And we're not going to continue to pretend that Chelsea actually played good football then are we? He's not even our manager anymore.

They never scored above 80 league goals in either of those seasons.
  25. Feb 11, 2019

Ronaldo's Mum Eh? Ronaldo is shite

Performance wise, the game against Chelsea was one of the best I've ever seen in the premier league era.

At 4-0 they were playing like they were down 2 in the 90th minute.

Absolutely unbelievable.
  26. Feb 11, 2019

Rooney in Paris Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down Scout

They did play excellent football, they were a fantastic team. It's not all about scoring goals.
  27. Feb 11, 2019

Riz Full Member

Beyond the rest of the top 6, who are the other 2 sides you think could field a stronger first 11? I think that second string wouldn't be far off Arsenal to be honest. :lol:
  28. Feb 11, 2019

Skills Snitch

They were a fantastic team - would never deny that. But at the same time, I would never say they played excellent football.

Good football is about scoring goals. It's what we watch the game for. It's what captures your imagination as a fan, and makes you look forward to games. Their football for the most part was efficient, but hardly inspiring.
  29. Feb 11, 2019

kaiser1 New Member

Supports:
    Bayern Munich
    Everton, Wolves, West Ham,
  30. Feb 11, 2019

Riz Full Member

Personally I wouldn't say so apart from possibly Everton. My reasoning being I think Otamendi, Silva, Gundogan, Mahrez, Jesus would already walk into those teams and there are arguments for Kompany and Danilo as well.

I think if coached solely then a side with Gundogan and Silva supplying Mahrez and Jesus would do a lot more damage than any of those 3 sides.
  31. Feb 11, 2019

Trizy Full Member

To be fair Chelsea had given up at that point. It was a great performance but half the Chelsea team completely gave up and let the other half press which was a waste of time against a possession team.

Also Chelsea didn't defend deep against the top scoring side in Europe and away from home. Their game plan was utterly stupid and embarrassing. They played openly and got punished accordingly.
  32. Feb 11, 2019

Fosu-Mens Full Member

The gap in quality(Squad and on the pitch) will not be closed during a summer window. We will be top 4 next season, with City still being the favourites, Liverpool 2. place and us and Tottenham battling for 3rd and 4th. Earliest we will be able to challenge this team(Assuming we make the right decisions) is the 20/21 season.
  33. Feb 11, 2019

Supports:
    They did that last season and lost 1-0 in what was one of the most pitiful, gutless performances I've ever seen from a top team. We did that earlier this season and lost 3-1.
  34. Feb 11, 2019

Trizy Full Member

I'd rather gamble a draw in the toughest away fixture in Europe than get humiliated.
  35. Feb 11, 2019

charlenefan Far less insightful than the other Charley

Regardless of what Liverpool do this season they'll drop off next season, they're far from uncatchable
  36. Feb 11, 2019

Tommy bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered

Supports:
    Liverpool
    I fancy a treble of some sort from City this season. Will it be the perfect League/FA/CL? Not sure, but I do think they'll pick up three. Maybe a domestic clean sweep.
  37. Feb 11, 2019

Supports:
    City have scored at least 2 goals in every home fixture this season. If you're gambling on a draw at the Etihad, you're a pretty shitty gambler. If your goal is to just get out of the Etihad with a 3-0 defeat, then sure, park the bus. But let's not act like Sarri would have got any credit for playing it safe.

http://www.redcafe.net/threads/post-match-vs-manchester-city.442808/#post-23289003

Tell me if you see any praise for Jose's cautious gamble for a draw in that thread.
  38. Feb 11, 2019

Supports:
    Why will they drop off?
  39. Feb 11, 2019

SqualorVictoria New Member

Supports:
    City
    I think Conte last year is a better example. City won 1-0 but Chelsea showed no intent whatsoever to attack, and Chelsea fans were unsurprisingly fuming then as well. I don't think it was a more pleasant watch for them than yesterday's game.
  40. Feb 11, 2019

Supports:
    Some quotes from the matchday thread last year... mind you, the game ended 1-0!! Kante didn't play to be fair, he was sick or something.