Manchester United officials looking at plans to expand Old Trafford capacity to 88,000

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by KM, Oct 3, 2017.

?

What will happen first?

Poll closed Oct 10, 2017.
  1. Old Trafford stadium expansion

51.8%
  2. Official ManUtd website updated

31.1%
  3. Liverpool win the Premier League

17.1%
  1. Dec 7, 2017

Globule signature/tagline creator extraordinaire

Definitely both. It's not like the same team of people will be doing both projects.
  2. Dec 7, 2017

AndyJ1985 Full Member

It's long overdue. Both the stadium and facilities need some investment.
  3. Dec 7, 2017

Regulus Arcturus Black Full Member

Look @GE, I think Old Trafford needs an overhaul as much as anyone, starting with straightening out the old canter-levered roof which will be a huge deal for us and will give the stadium a completely new look and feel.

But it's really not "shocking" when you break the clubs you listed down and consider as you wrote yourself, that Old Trafford was last expanded/renovated in parts just 12 years ago. Many of the teams below had stadiums unfit for purpose (Arsenal) or turning into scrapheaps (Barca).

1. Manchester United (expansion 2005)
    2. Barcelona (renovation 2017 - 2021) - Considering the current state of Camp Nou, it is in desperate need of this renovation.
    3. Real Madrid (renovation 2018 - 2021) - Fair point but not started yet
    4. Bayern Munich (new stadium) - Old Stadium was council owned, had a fecking running track around it and was shared with 1860 Munich.
    5. Man City (new stadium) - Council owned
    6. Arsenal (new stadium) - London's biggest club, their Old Stadium had a measly capacity 38,419 and no possibility of planning permission for improvement.
    7. Chelsea (renovation 2019 - 2022) - Fair point
    8. Liverpool (renovated 2014 - 2017) - Hardly, it' still shite, they renovated one stand. The stadium is not remotely as good as OT and still has a capacity way way too low for their fanbase as well as some of the worst restricted view seats you could imagine.
    9. Juventus (new stadium) - Old Stadium was council owned, shared with Torino and had a running track around it. Council decided to demolish it giving both clubs no choice. Juve's new stadium, at just 40,000 ish capacity is a lame excuse for a stadium for Italy's biggest club.
    10. Tottenham (new stadium) - Nearly a fair point but Old Stadium was too small and in much worse condition than OT.
    11. PSG (renovated 2013 - 2016) - Meh... it's still a tiny little pointless thing. OT even in current state is way better.
    12. Dortmund (renovated 2006, updated 2016) - Fair point
    13. Milan (renovation planned - date TBC) - "planned" yes, but that means nothing.
    14. Atletico (new stadium) - Fair point.
    15. West Ham (new stadium) - Council house, most fans not happy with it.

So of the 15 mentioned, many were drastically in need of a renovation or new stadium, United aren't, it should be under consideration and I'm sure it is. Only 4 of the 15 teams are fair points imo.
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  4. Dec 7, 2017

Zebs Clare Bald'ings Daughter

:lol: The feck are West Ham doing in that group!?
  5. Dec 7, 2017

sglowrider Against Oral Equality

I assume you know the budgatery details when you answered here?
  6. Dec 7, 2017

Crazy Horse New Member

Remember the sixties as a lad getting the steam train from Central Station to the ground. Would go in the scoreboard end, Stretford end paddock (admission two and six) or what is now the Sir Fergy stand before they built the new stand. The Sir Matt Busby Way was Warwick Road then. As in the song "walking down Warwick road ...." After some games your feet didn't touch the ground going over the railway bridge, on your way home after the sold out all ticket matches. They used to cram them in then with a capacity crowd of around 57000 (if I'm not mistaken). The stadium now is magnificent in all it's beauty. Being a Mancunian you cannot be more than proud seeing it from a distance standing there in an area close to the city riddled with industrial history. Not to mention it was nearly brought to the ground due to the bombings. It would be the icing on the cake if they could add on to the east stand which would give it a more uniform look in parity with the rest of the building. Not the least it would of course add on to the capacity which is definately needed. We will always get the crowds no matter what!
  7. Dec 7, 2017

jojojo Moderator

Welcome to Manchester reception committee
    The issues that I see with the ground now aren't so much capacity, though it would be nice to see that tackled, as the overall tiredness and awkwardness of the place.

Some of those stands are very high, and it's only when you go to a newer stadium you remember the concept of escalators. The new search rules have exacerbated a problem with how the stadium access/queuing works and if you're one of those people unlucky enough to have their ticket fail at the turnstile, you've got another queue at the ticket office, and another one for the repeat search.

The toilets, concourse, refreshments are all dowdy. I don't have a problem with legroom myself, but I can see why some do, and some of the seat layouts are pretty grim particularly as you go up higher or into the quadrants. It just looks like what it is, a place that doesn't get much infrastructure investment (same with the website etc) and hasn't done in a while. Like other places where things get patched back to functional instead of renovated, eventually it catches up with them and as with the changes needed for disabled supporters the cobbled together solutions aren't that elegant.
  8. Dec 7, 2017

Trizy Full Member

I like Old Trafford and even if it was falling apart I wouldn't care.

If we had to play out of a mucky field I wouldn't care once the money is being spent on the squad.
  9. Dec 8, 2017

KingMinger22 City >>> United. Moaning twat

This.

Make it bigger? Definitely.

Prettier? I couldn’t give a shit.

Let’s get some players in who are actually top draw before we worry about renovating the shitters.
  10. Dec 8, 2017

Fluctuation0161 New Member

I do feel that the current owners haven’t invested in enough assets for the long term, despite the great work they do getting commercial deals.

Old Trafford should’ve been expanded or refurbished years ago and the lack of a Manchester United women’s football team is also looking more backwards by the day. The youth system facilities were also lagging behind although this may have been updated now? Maybe someone can enlighten me on that...

I guess it’s is a symptom of us having to clear the debt over the last 5-10 years to the manageable level it is at now. The current focus does need to be on investing in players due to the lack of player investment in Fergies final few years while he was clearing the debt. The lasting legacy of the Glazer take over!
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  11. Dec 13, 2017 at 19:43

Nate Dogg Don't Make Me Angry

12. Dec 13, 2017 at 19:45

Damien Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)

Deleted tweet
  13. Dec 13, 2017 at 19:48

Nate Dogg Don't Make Me Angry

Ahhh, it was a tweet from Samuel Luckhurst about the South Stand leaking after torrential rain and that it is long over due for a revamp/expansion.
  14. Dec 14, 2017 at 11:51

Mr Pigeon baldy fatty bum bum

Staging a 'coo' against my enemies in Fife
    Woody was probably knocked back by the Glazers when he asked for the money, so he's spent the last few nights on top of the roof with a Black & Decker drill.