Manchester United Women | Squad recruitment underway

Discussion in 'United's Women's Team' started by Rifer, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Jul 9, 2018

jojojo Moderator Staff

Welcome to Manchester reception committee
    There are so many names kicking around that all we really know is that Casey Stoney is pleased with how recruitment has gone. When the squad does come out - Friday the 13th - we'll have a better idea. Right now, it looks like a young exciting squad with some excellent players and some great potential. But then, right now, anyone who hasn't announced their club is "ours". :devil:
  2. Jul 9, 2018

RedTiger Full Member

I think everyone expects a quick promotion, the fact that so many 2nd division clubs were pissed that we weren't put automatically into WSL says alot.
  3. Jul 9, 2018

SquishyMcSquish New Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Fantastic that you guys finally got yourself a female side, was a bit strange that the country's biggest club didn't have one. May not be a big deal to a lot of men, but for a lot of young female footballers who support United it's huge, they can now play for the club they love just as much as the male supporters do.

Must admit that my knowledge on the women's game is pretty poor though, I did watch England in a tournament at some point and was impressed, but beyond that very little. Will United be pumping in a ton of cash to help them get to the very top, or will it be a case of not considering it a worthy use of resources?
  4. Jul 9, 2018

RedPamie New Member

From heraldscotland article in this thread.
    http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport...-good-an-opportunity-to-miss-for-willie-kirk/

I think we'll have a good squad. Several are England u19/23 internationals (well according to rumors) and come from WSL 2 rivals. Two birds with one stone and all that.

I would like to think United want to be one of major clubs in women's game, the status Chelsea, City and maybe Arsenal, Liverpool have right now. Look at Chelsea the last season double winners. Still a long way to go to get to that level. I'm optimistic we'll get there in 5-7 years.
  5. Jul 10, 2018

jojojo Moderator Staff

I think a lot of us are novices when it comes to the women's game (beyond the international matches and Cup Finals). Most of the United fans in this thread are beginners when it comes to understanding our WSL2/Championship opponents. So are United!

The only real statement of intent so far comes from what we do know. They've appointed Casey Stoney, ex-England player, part-time England coach (working with Phil Neville). They've given her Willie Kirk, who has managed a WSL1 team, as assistant. That seems like a powerful setup.

It's thought that United will pay WSL1 style wages to most of their squad this year. They want to use their own girl's academy as much as they can. They think they can be one of the top English clubs within 5 years. Casey thinks she's going to build something special.
  6. Jul 10, 2018

KM I’m afraid I just blue myself Staff

It seems strange that they'll announce the whole squad on Friday, but looking forward to it. There has been very little rumors so far.
  7. Jul 10, 2018

Himannv New Member

I'd honestly have preferred it if they brought the signings to the notice of the public as and when they are made rather than a bulk announcement like this. Much like they would do for the men's team. Gives the signings a better chance to bask in the glow so to speak.
  8. Jul 10, 2018

RedPamie New Member

Following some insiders in women's game. It's very different than men's game in term of rumors, agents stirrings things up.

Some journalists know which players signed for us already but won't tell probably because the club ask them no to.

Some of us in the thread getting rumors from Twitter, Instagram, and usually from other clubs' supporters. Like I came across some accounts by match going Everton and Liverpool fans, they said they heard United already signed several Liverpool based WSL 1 players.

About the bulk announcement

Great article again by Rich Laverty
    https://www.ourgamemag.com/2018/07/...chester-united-get-set-to-unveil-their-squad/
  9. Jul 10, 2018

Nick7 Full Member

I thought us getting a women's team was good news, but I'm genuinely surprised at how excited I am for the squad announcement.
  10. Jul 10, 2018

11. Jul 10, 2018

Rado_N Yaaas Broncos!

12. Jul 10, 2018

SquishyMcSquish New Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    That sounds like a good setup. I'm glad that it seems like proper attention is being given to the women's side, and that seems like a reasonable target with the resources United can muster. Will definitely be keeping a close eye on the side as it's always interesting to see a project like this take shape, especially one like this where it was unarguably the right decision to bring in a women's side. Honestly for the longest time I simply assumed you already had one till I saw the buzz about one potentially being formed, shocked me that a club of your size didn't have a women's side. Fantastic that this has now been rectified!

How will United fans watch their women's side play? I'm guessing it will be through a fan channel only? Can be difficult enough to watch the men's these days!
  13. Jul 11, 2018 at 08:28

jojojo Moderator Staff

I think quite a few of us are. I wanted us to get a women's team, more or less as a matter of principle. I hadn't realised how excited I was actually going to get about the team itself.

I've certainly spent more time speculating who the women are signing than looking at the transfer forum to see what's happening there (I'm more "what will be, will be" about that).

We're told some matches will be on MUTV and the club will have some highlights on its YouTube channel. I suspect if we draw City in one of the Cups a broadcaster will want it, even if we're not quite ready for it.
  14. Jul 11, 2018 at 09:48

RedPamie New Member

Same :lol:

I want to know how I fare in this speculation! I know we only have to wait a few days :devil:, but here goes..

Siobhan Chamberlain GK
    Emily Ramsey GK
    Alex Greenwood LB
    Kirsty Hanson - Forward
    Mollie Green - Forward
    Aimee Palmer - Midfielder
    Leah Galton - Forward
    Lizzie Arnot - Midfielder/Forward
    Kirsty Smith - RB
    Amy Turner - CB
    Martha Harris - Defender
    Millie Turner - Midfielder
    Lucy Roberts - Defender
    Ella Toone - Forward
    Katie Zelem - Midfielder
    Lauren James - Midfielder
    Ebony Salmon - Forward
    Naomi Hartley - Defender
    Chelsea Weston - Defender

And maybe Jessica Sigsworth
    :devil:
  15. Jul 11, 2018 at 10:04

Andersons Dietician Full Member

Supports:
    Supports good football
    The launch video surely has to be epic. A 22 piece Orchestra or something with Sanchez just off to the side playing the piano welcoming them all.
    Can’t wait for this launch, I think I am more excited about this than the men’s team currently.
  16. Jul 11, 2018 at 16:40

jojojo Moderator Staff

Nice idea assembling the rumours and the names in one place. Thanks for the hard work.

If you're anywhere close to what the real squad looks like, that would be a real statement of intent by United. Friday...
  17. Jul 11, 2018 at 17:37

Damien Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin) Staff

Decent list. Think Ebony Salmon is still contracted at Villa though and Leah Galton seems to have some personal issues. She took a break from football at the end of March and I'm not sure the 3 month break would be enough. Ashleigh Goddard I think is another possibility.

There was this announcement a couple of days ago:

But there has been nothing linking her to here.
  18. Jul 11, 2018 at 23:42

RedPamie New Member

Almost all of Donny Belles first teamers are gone wow.

By the way, my squad prediction lis is short on defenders? Too many forwards there. And about Leah Galton, well, she's in Manchester right now, :)and followed by Willie Kirk.

Fans now talking about Millie Farrow leaving Bristol, Ella Rutherford leaving Millwall and Kate Longhurst leaving Liverpool.

Not sure about Ebony James yeah and Millie Turner.
  19. Jul 11, 2018 at 23:59

Is that definite? Last I saw she was back in Harrogate. Yeah, I think your prediction is short of defenders but don't think you'll be too far wrong in some of the names.

Farrow has followed the United Women twitter account, Casey Stoney and Alex Greenwood all in a fairly short amount of time so she might be a decent shout (assuming Greenwood is coming) - another forward though.
  20. Jul 12, 2018 at 04:54

RedPamie New Member

Yes, saw it from her Instagram. She posted Instagram story about staying in the Lowry too.

So I read some rumours from Twitter, but Instagram is where the gold mine is. The players linked to us, started to follow each other these past few weeks. Could be nothing, but ... for example Alex Greenwood (Liverpool) following Kirsty Hanson (Donny Belles), Lizzie Arnot (Hibs), Leah Galton (stayed in US/Bayern 3 months ago), Jessica Sigsworth (also Belles), Millie Turner (Bristol) and vice versa.

And most of players, not only those rumoured, followed the official account and not so official accounts of women's team news. I guess the club has a lot of admirers within the women's game. Understandable though because most are young in 20s/younger and probably witnessed our best era in 2007-2009.

Fun factsl
    1. Like Jojojo predicted, family members of certain players linked to us actually started following our official account. :lol: and I'm also blaming Damien (and others in this thread) for this speculation. :devil:
    2. Saw some United fans already following those players in the list.
  21. Jul 12, 2018 at 09:43

jojojo Moderator Staff

I wondered about that. But, assuming that we've got a launch planned for tomorrow rather than just a tweet with a squad list, I think that might be how it needs to be.

Most of the players won't have experienced anything like it before. Casey herself said that it was bigger than anything she'd experienced, and she's been England captain. Some of the players we're expecting to see are getting their first pro contracts.

The last thing they need is the individual attention. There's bound to be some negative reaction on social media etc (some of it sexist, some just jealousy/rivalry). It sounds a lot better if they gothrough that as a team, not as individuals suddenly seeing their Twitter and Instagram feeds go weird.

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to moan if United haven't done a good job of it :lol:
  22. Jul 12, 2018 at 10:18

Trizy Full Member

Sign them all! :drool:
  23. Jul 12, 2018 at 11:42

Himannv New Member

Yes, you're probably right. Perhaps I'm just really eager to see who they signed. One more day to go I suppose.

I'm another one of those who is a newbie to the women's game, but I'm certainly interested and invested in following a United team. I think Stoney getting the job indicates some serious intent in building a strong team and pushing into the top division. Really keen to see what we do.
  24. Jul 12, 2018 at 14:51

Grande Full Member

Friday the 13th is perfect for devils.
  25. Jul 12, 2018 at 16:13

Yeah, Instagram sees to be a goldmine. Just annoy me how to access most stuff you need to sign in with an account and I can never remember my information
  26. Jul 13, 2018 at 05:07

Today is the day :drool:
  27. Jul 13, 2018 at 05:09

Yagami Full Member

Can't say I'm too excited by the upcoming announcement - mainly because I'll have no idea who any of them are. I am however looking forward to seeing them play. I plan to watch them regularly as of now.
  28. Jul 13, 2018 at 06:55

jymufc20 New Member

What time does the stockmarket open ?
  29. Jul 13, 2018 at 09:11

muller Full Member

Oddly excited for this - despite being pretty new to the women's game. Once names are released it will be good to learn more about the players and see how such a diverse group thrown into the mix comes together.
  30. Jul 13, 2018 at 09:41

Trizy Full Member

This.
  31. Jul 13, 2018 at 10:14

Class of 63 Full Member

Squad announcement @ 13:07 on 13/07
  32. Jul 13, 2018 at 10:19

jojojo Moderator Staff

:lol:

Casey's ready

33. Jul 13, 2018 at 10:29

Norris Full Member

Great... Loving this.. Hope to learn a lot more about our team soon and see how they fare.
  34. Jul 13, 2018 at 10:31

35. Jul 13, 2018 at 10:35

@RedPamie, things are looking good for your prediction about Millie Turner. She played under Willie Kirk.
  36. Jul 13, 2018 at 10:44

I'm expecting around 90% of this prediction to come true which will be stunning work altogether!
  37. Jul 13, 2018 at 11:31

jojojo Moderator Staff

He's also tweeted (in response to a question) that United are planning to announce the squad this afternoon, "2pm I think. Just waiting for confirmation."

I suspect the trusted press already have the squad list, so they can get things like this ready. United will know the majority of us are pretty clueless on the subject. In fact even where I know the names (sometimes from previous discussions of United youth team players leaving the club) it's only when I've looked up the names from posts like those from @RedPamie that I've found out the basics like how old they are, how well their current/previous club were doing and how many games they were getting there.
  38. Jul 13, 2018 at 11:34

Yagami Full Member

All hail @RedPamie ! I think I'm more excited to watch the women play than the men as of right now.
  39. Jul 13, 2018 at 13:03

horsechoker Sailor vee, this is a right off.

40. Jul 13, 2018 at 13:58

muller Full Member

It's nearly time.. watch out wikipedia - i'm about to be all up in you.