Marco Verratti

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by MyOnlySolskjaer, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Mar 7, 2018

MyOnlySolskjaer Creator of Player Performance threads

Just how good is he? I don't watch PSG aside from the Champions League and the odd few league games and I don't know if it's just the level of competition but he hasn't ever really impressed me in the Champions League, well, not enough to be linked to a €150M move to Barca. He's been depicted as one of the worlds best midfielders for a while now, but is he really at that level?
  2. Mar 7, 2018

damageinc. New Member

Supports:
    the unknown
    Skilled but lacks of the right attitude and character at a certain level like CL or national team. So not a top top player yet.
  3. Mar 7, 2018

balaks Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    I've watched him a lot over the past few years and he is pretty good but imo nothing particularly special.
  4. Mar 7, 2018

Di Maria's angel Captain of Moanchester United

In the same boat as you, every time I watch him - Italy or PSG, he's never struck me as anything more than decent. Obviously, I haven't watched him play a lot but enough times to make some form of judgement. Seems massively over rated. Plus looks like a bitch and acts like one.
  5. Mar 7, 2018

Nedved Full Member

He is a very talented player and I doubt any top side would say no to having him in their team. He isn't among the world's absolutely best midfielders, though, and he doesn't even start for a rather underwhelming Italy side.

He has the ability to take that final step up as the likes of Coutinho, Kroos or Thiago have managed to do, but I'm not sure the PSG galacticos is the right place for him.
  6. Mar 7, 2018

FootyGirl88

I think hes very good, i've always been impressed by his technical ability, passing range, vision, dribbling etc all top notch. There's not many other midfielders i would put above him, would love him to replace Carrick here.
  7. Mar 7, 2018

DanClancy Full Member

He was poor last night, I would only watch PSG in a CL knockout game like last night so don't see too much of him. He looked a bit heavy last night when you compare him to players like Scholes, Iniesta, Xavi & Modric.
  8. Mar 7, 2018

red4ever 79 Full Member

Supports:
    Red Devils
    He is good at keeping the ball under pressure, and driving forwards with it. He is one of those players that keeps the game ticking over, neat and tidy. Doesnt score or create enough goals considering how poor the French league is
  9. Mar 7, 2018

OnlyTwoDaSilvas Gullible

Every time I tune in to watch PSG, he's either out injured, or he's really poor. I'm not saying he isn't good, I've just never seen him have a stand-out game in the small sample of PSG games I've watched, despite all the hype surrounding him.
  10. Mar 7, 2018

DWelbz19 Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

I think the problem near enough every single PSG player faces is that they've collectively just shat their pants in any big tie in the CL. As a result, it's difficult to gauge just how good most of them are.
  11. Mar 7, 2018

Invictus Best Poster 2015 Staff

Supports:
    Piracy on the High Seas
    The biggest issue with classifying Verratti as regards his rating is that you get the sense that he's stagnated over the last 2-3 years, and it's hard to divorce his club's performances from his own when the domestic league isn't at par with La Liga or the Premier League or Serie A or Bundesliga. This is a player who was going toe to toe with Barcelona way back in 2013 at the age of just 20 and showing maturity beyond his years, but hasn't taken things to the next level - if anything, his level might have dropped a tad bit while others like De Bruyne have started making high profile contributions and maximizing their performances under a coach who has instilled an extremely coherent system. In terms of his skill set as an individual, he has just about everything you need from a possession oriented midfield metronome as regards his technical level and vision and passing nous to keep things ticking over, but it's just not coming together in terms of making decisive contributions at the highest rungs of football on a consistent basis for either Paris Saint-Germain or Italy — and the same argument could be levied against his fellow top midfielders from the age-group, Pogba and Thiago Alcántara (whose progression has been haphazard because of a string of injuries - aside from him failing to fully impose himself in games like some of the more illustrious Spanish midfielders in recent years). All three need a signature season (or several - depending on their eventual level) to truly join the ageing elite — like Xavi when Davids joined Barcelona - followed by the Rijkaard era - then EURO 2008 and the Pep era, or Schweinsteiger in the late 2000s - then the Heyneckes team - followed by the heroics in the 2014 World Cup. I'd say he's worth €120-150 million in terms of ability alone, but he really has to do much better on a more consistent basis and be a genuine reference point for his team to be considered the way Pirlo, Scholes, Modrić, Xavi, Schweinsteiger are/were over the last couple of decades. Dunno if Paris Saint-Germain is the right club for him going forward, though - the team itself hasn't progressed to a genuine European contender despite looking the part on paper and in theory and he's been pretty meh in the Champions League over the last couple of seasons - looking rather unmotivated at times. Needs a fresh challenge, methinks, or help propel Paris Saint-Germain to greater heights with Neymar and Mbappé. Otherwise, he'll be overtaken by the younger crop and end up as maybe a Top 20 midfielder of the decade.
  12. Mar 7, 2018

RoyH1 Full Member

When on song he can be really good. But has picked up too many bad habits along the way and needs much better coaching to maximise his potential.

If he went to a proper top team with good coaching and a more professional structure like Bayern or Juventus he’d be absolutely world class.
  13. Mar 7, 2018

MrMourinho#7 New Member

He's my dream signing in midfield to complement Pogba & Matic. The thought of a 4-3-3 with Verratti as a 6 (in the Pirlo role) with Pogba and Matic as 8s is just :drool:
  14. Mar 7, 2018

Trizy Full Member

Honestly believe he'd be missing piece to our midfield three. Technical and great range of passing. He can also drive through the middle with the ball.

Pogba-Matic-Verratti is mouth watering (under an attacking coach). He could be our midfield answer to D.Silva, Iniesta, Modric, Thiago, Pjanic.

I love how short term football's memory is. Played below par against Madrid over both legs (like the entire PSG team) and people are questioning his ability. I also think he has the PSG-Syndrome, which is getting lazy because of the cannon fodder they face week in week out. PSG could turn up hungover and not training and still win their domestic trophies. Their entire team lacks hunger because of it.
  15. Mar 7, 2018

Laurentiu amt New Member

He does have some Scholes in him tbh, good workrate, good vision, can tackle, would slot right into our CM with no issues.

The only bad point here is his temper and that's it. But god he's a good player.
  16. Mar 7, 2018

Ish Lights on for Luke

I think he's class and would have United splash the cash to get him in a heartbeat. Would be perfect next to Matic and Pogba.

But I'm a massive fan of his. So I'm probably biased.
  17. Mar 7, 2018

Scarecrow Having a week off

The best out there when it comes to pointless tiki-taka in the middle of the pitch. How much does he influence the game, I'm not sure.

I don't watch their games.
  18. Mar 7, 2018

Charles Miller Full Member Verified Moaner

He would be better as double-pivot imo. He doesnt have the physicality to be the only DM and is not a player who will score or assist many goals in a more offensive role.
  19. Mar 7, 2018

Grylte "nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"

Matic as #8 will never happen under Mourinho , then he rather play with 2 sixes.

Only seen Verratti in CL (since the French league is zzz), and those times I've thought he's quite Overrattid..
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  20. Mar 7, 2018

Raees Boing Boing Baggies

Killed himself by staying in France too long. Shows a weak mentality imo and reflects in his overall standing at the moment.

Both him and Rabiot have it in them to be world class CMs and the best in the game but they both should be at Barcelona or a club of that ilk. Both have it in them to grace the biggest games and stamp their influence but in a flakey soft environment like PSG they're not going to be challenged often enough to develop the mettle to go with their sumptuous skills.

If you watched them both on the ball closely, they were great at passing between the lines, carrying it under pressure but it was in defence and upfront where there was a lot of bad mistakes made. Midfield wise PSG in their big games are always competitive and capable of dominating possession but at the business end of the pitch they always flatter to deceive and crumble.

If Neymar leaves then I worry for the PSG project.
  21. Mar 7, 2018

Oldyella Full Member

Problem with being in a one team league? With Monaco's decline not sure how often they are pushed?
  22. Mar 7, 2018

Varun Moderator Staff

Why are you questioning his mentality? He wanted to leave, tried hard to make it happen but PSG flat out refused to budge. Also, he moved there very early in his career. Hardly a Neymar who fecked off for the wages.
  23. Mar 7, 2018

Mihai92 Banned

If i could take one CM from PSG it would be Rabiot. I don't really rate Verratti that much.
  24. Mar 7, 2018

FootyGirl88

I think Raiola is his agent now, it looks like after PSG refused his initial move he decided to bring in the heavies. Raiola will help him get a move in the summer if he wants to leave, his contract is until 2021 so it is doable.
  25. Mar 7, 2018

Raees Boing Boing Baggies

Don't think he's tried hard enough - only last summer was he showing serious desire to leave. Lots said about his lack of discipline off the pitch. But may just be rumours.
  26. Mar 7, 2018

DrRodo Full Member

I was expecting this thread after yesterdays performance. I know many people will label him as overrated or nothing special. tbh i think he was playing very well yesterday as his usual self, being the metronome of the midfield. The problem with PSG was that they had 3 possession midfielders but none of them are particularly able to blast forward and set the opposing box on fire. The problem with Verratti is his temper as some has already pointed out, and yesterday he got quickly frustrated which led to the stupid sent out.

To me he's class, hes got the elements to become a Xavi (best mf of the world) level player. hes got the vision dribbling, passing range and the technique, is so hard to dispossess. But as long as he stays at PSG, in that one team league, and if PSG doesn't take the next step and really become a Europe top 3 team, then there's a high chance that Verratti will just get stuck and just become another player remembered for his high potential that he couldn't fulfill.

tl:dr he might disappear if stays at psg. Mourinho sign him up :angel:
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2018
  27. Mar 7, 2018

el3mel Full Member

He's definitely a very good midfielder. Not great but very good. He should move to a more competitive league and team though in order to judge him better.
  28. Mar 7, 2018

balaks Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    I agree - I really rate Rabiot.
  29. Mar 7, 2018

MyOnlySolskjaer Creator of Player Performance threads

He even recently made Raiola his agent after that whole move to Barca falling through. A move away is inevitable.
  30. Mar 7, 2018

izec Full Member

He needs to move on. I rate him highly, i thought he was their best player before the sending off, easily dominated the midfield yesterday without hurting Real though and created some chances later on. He is also prone for stupid red cards, as seen yesterday. That was a result from the frustration going 1-0 down. Was the only one who tried to pick up the tempo after going down.

He is at the wrong team, needs to go to Barca or Pep IMO to take his game to another level. A manager that builds a strong midfield and trusts him to elevate his game to an elite level. He has incredible potential in terms of possession, vision, passing, being the heartbeat in midfield. He has shown great promise a few years ago and hasnt kicked on since then.

He hasnt shown consistency so far, but the potential is enormous. He needs a bit of luck, but if it would click, i expect him to dominate the central midfield for years. I think he is a jewel and belongs to a rare breed of players who can control a game in midfield against any opposition if given the right team and role. I think he would be perfect in that Barca team and would be a legend there.
  31. Mar 7, 2018

reddaz71 New Member

Honestly Think I would prefer Savic!
  32. Mar 7, 2018

Lay Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Quality player who hasn't progressed as much as he should have. Poor for Italy and doesn't do enough when it truly matters yet. I'd still take him in a heartbeat.
  33. Mar 7, 2018

Ecstatic Full Member

Supports:
    PsG
    + He is a world-class player in a specific narrow category: central midfielder with great ball retention skills and very good passing skills.
    - That said, he is an unidimensional player relatively slow; which is the big difference with a player like Xavi Hernandez who was more complete in terms of offensive contribution and more sharp
    = A player who requires a specific tactical system/philosophy to shine. Barcelona and Real Madrid would be great destinations for him. In contrast, he struggles with Italy for instance.

His room for improvement is limited so I think he has reached his full potential.

He deserved to be blamed for the red card but not for his performances that are in line with what he has always done.
  34. Mar 7, 2018

P-Nut0712 fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho

He was one of my favourite players to watch a couple of years ago. Still think he could step it up a notch with a move to one of the Spanish giants, but he's stagnated at PSG where the CL are the only games that matter.

I hope he does get his move this summer cause he can be great to watch when in full flow.
  35. Mar 7, 2018

Gio 4 times Redcafe Draft Winner

If you isolate the performances of the PSG midfield in the Champions League in recent seasons, it stacks up very well right in there amongst the best around. It has largely been failings elsewhere on the pitch underpinning their inability to get over the line in the big knockout matches. He is at the stage of his career now where he needs to have a decisive impact on big games outside of Ligue Un, in the same way that the likes of Modric and Xavi stepped up level and decided big matches in Europe and on the international stage.
  36. Mar 7, 2018

Hullyback Banned

Supports:
    Liverpool FC
    Reminds me of a younger Ben Arfa when he was hyped to the max, scintillating one game, absolute gash for ten more. Seems to have everything needed to be world class yet for whatever reason doesn't step up when it matters. I've watched him about 12-15 times for club and country and he played like a Superstar twice, the other times he was kinda redundant.

I'm not sure if playing in a more competitive league would help his consistency, it can't be good for any player to be walking over dross teams for 90% of the season and only facing decent opposition in the CL cos as was seen vs Real, they fold when they do get a decent team despite all that talent in the squad. The step up in class from a Rennes or Celtic is massive and I don't think you can train for that when they're running at 2nd gear to win in their league. It's like playing Burton albion in PES on Novice and then being surprised when you go online and get thumped by a real person.
  37. Mar 7, 2018

sullydnl Ross Kemp's caf ID

I think he's quality but he seems to have stagnated a bit in recent years. Probably needs to leave PSG.

Incidentally, he has a lot of the qualities our midfield lacks. Though Mourinho probably wouldn't be that interested given he's about 5'5.
  38. Mar 7, 2018

Jando Full Member

I honestly think he's regressed especially after seeing him last night, I remember watching him rip Barcelona apart in midfield a few years back, he was breathtaking but last night and a few other games this season he just look like he overcomplicates things or his passes dont come off as much,

he's still only 25 so still has his best years ahead of him but he needs a fresh challenge, he need's a move to the prem or la liga if he ever want's to become a great.
  39. Mar 7, 2018

Ecstatic Full Member

Supports:
    PsG
    In what areas do you think he can improve? I don't expect him to dribble some players and score some decisive goals.
  40. Mar 7, 2018

BBRBB Full Member

Supports:
    Paris Saint-Germain
    He could be more influential in the last third. You can take Xavi and Pirlo as examples who didn't have to dribble past 3 players to be more incisive offensively.