1. If you're having issues with staying logged in, log out and in again. More details in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Marcus Rashford image England flag

Marcus Rashford 2016-17 Performances

Jump to: Man Utd 2:0 Hull City

View full 2016-17 profile

6.1 Average rating
26 Appearances
6 Goals
2 Assists
2 Yellow cards
  1. Jan 11, 2017 at 09:20

Fracture90 Full Member

Supports:
    Partizan Belgrade
    I believe it did tbh. Last season he looked far more composed (which is amazing all by itself considering he was 18) comparing to this season where he's struggling to convert some very good chances.

Could be that he is just rusty as you say.
  2. Jan 11, 2017 at 12:00

superdry touched by a genius

Young lad with talent and potential, but easily knocked off the ball, doesn't challenge for anything in the air and clumsy at times. I'm sure he'll get stronger and learn his craft as a central attacker, for now I would just use him as a sub to run at tired defences.
  3. Jan 11, 2017 at 12:16

Raees Sporty Guy

Looked so poor last night. I know he scored two goals the other day but his general play was not great then either.

I think it is just a run of form, young players can go through phases where everything just turns to shit and nothing seems to be working,, only worry is that the technical side of the game should hold up even if things are not coming off, i.e. when Martial goes through a bad run of form, his technique still holds firm.. its just his decision making/effort level which drops. Rashford barely looked championship level with his technique recently so he needs to work on that.

People either relish in seeing him flop, or are adamant he's going to make it and replace Zlatan.. no middle ground with him at the moment. If you took his electric pace out of the equation, does the rest of his game stand firm.. is it the game you'd expect of a number 9 playing for one of the world's best clubs? I don't think anyone can say with true conviction the answer is definitely yes.

He has to keep working on his game, we should be patient with him.. years to go before he reaches his peak. Writing off a guy so young seems stupid. He might even have to go on loan in a few years if we continue to strengthen and he doesn't quite develop the way we want quickly enough.. but one thing is for sure, at the age of 24/25.. he will be a very different and more accomplished all round player than he is now.
  4. Jan 11, 2017 at 12:46

ElQuesoGrande New Member

All good comments here. The one thing you can say though is Rashford's head never goes down. In the Reading game after some horrific misses and some horrific play in general after an occasional grimace of frustration he was hungry for the ball again. Whether that's just youthful exuberance or not I don't know, but it's a better attitude than a lot of players have.
  5. Jan 11, 2017 at 12:51

Lay Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

I expected Rashford to be inconsistent as did every other sane person. Which is why it totally bemused me when some posters didn't want another striker :lol:

He's 19, he's going to be up and down for a couple more seasons.
  6. Jan 11, 2017 at 12:56

Regulus Arcturus Black Full Member

Aye, all you can do is laugh really. The amount of posters going mental at the Zlatan signing because of what it would mean to Rashford was unreal :lol:
  7. Jan 11, 2017 at 13:02

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    I don't think that's true. Even at the shitty level I played when I'm confident and playing well I don't need to think about controlling a pass but when I'm really struggling then my first touch is one of the first things to go. We see the same with Rooney all the time. Whenever he's playing well his touch is fantastic but when he's playing badly he looks like he can't trap an anvil.
  8. Jan 11, 2017 at 13:14

Raees Sporty Guy

That is true, I share a similar issue when out of form (i.e. with bringing long range aerial balls down) but then again we have always said Rooney isn't the norm in the elite professional realm. How many top class players outside of Rooney, really lose their first touch to the extent he does (Suarez can sometimes be inconsistent with his touch I guess) and to be fair when Wayne was a kid, his first touch was on another level to a Rashford.. he had some brilliant first touches, where he'd spin into space even with someone up his arse. I personally think it is when the drinking and his physical side wasn't where it should be, his first touch and reactions began to suffer with it.

When he is fit, and I mean he looks physically sharp.. his first touch is usually pretty good. This season after the wedding debacle, when he has played with a point to prove, his touch has been okay. End of the day, for all the criticism Wayne gets, he is a very natural footballer.. you just know he's got a good footballing brain, he's had that since he was a kid. Rashford sometimes looks like a Walcott, all speed and no nous.. yet in other games, he looks like he has an astute understanding of the game.

As a number 9, you can't really afford to have on and off days with your first touch and certainly not if you want to play for United. Lukaku is a player who I can think of that has a terrible first touch, lacks consistency with it and it has held him back from being a top top tier striker.. hence why he is at Everton. Far too early to say that about Rashford, as he may be going through second season syndrome, maybe even an undetected growth spurt etc etc.. but in the long term, his first touch and technical ability in general can't be hit and miss. It needs to be reliable, so that even if he himself has a poor game from a goal-scoring perspective, he is still able to function as a focal point for the attack and bring others into play.

Once his physique fills out, he can use that to protect the ball better.
  9. Jan 11, 2017 at 13:14

SteveW Full Member

I think his composure and decision making are also excellent. He's very good at picking the right pass out round the box. His understanding of the game for a kid is fantastic. He always seems to make the right runs. Composure and football intelligence are very hard qualities to teach. And his electric pace isn't gonna be taken away.

I think some inconsistency or lack of sharpness is inevitable since he's not playing every week and he's played a lot on the wing. A lot of it comes from consistently playing and getting on a wave length with team mates. He hasn't really had the chance to do that this season.

He's not the finished article. His aerial presence for example is non existent but I'd say he's well ahead of where you'd expect a 19 year old to be.
  10. Jan 11, 2017 at 13:17

Cassidy Full Member

Exactly this. He looks like a player who could become a top striker irrespective of his pace tbh.
  11. Jan 11, 2017 at 13:37

Dobbs Full Member

Agree. As long as he continues with the right attitude and shows flashes of top level ability that'll do me for now.

However on his first touch. It's not a confidence thing, it's something he does need to work on.

I've criticsed others for being anti English on this forum but first touch is something we seem to struggle with.
  12. Jan 11, 2017 at 14:51

Scholesy Full Member

First touch can't be improved.

Rashford is a strange player. Looks amazing one game and average the next. I am not convinced he has a long term future here, maybe as a squad player but not as a starter/key player.
  13. Jan 11, 2017 at 15:04

Adam-Utd Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

What differences do you see between him and Delfouneso?
  14. Jan 11, 2017 at 15:13

Regulus Arcturus Black Full Member

Sorry what @Scholesy ?
  15. Jan 11, 2017 at 16:39

Dobbs Full Member

What you mean is that you can't change a first touch from terrible to great. That I agree with. Of course you can improve it by some margin though. Which I'm sure he will.
  16. Jan 11, 2017 at 17:17

Cassidy Full Member

That isn't true.
    Also thats pretty harsh assessment for a 19 year old, bound to be inconsistent.
  17. Jan 11, 2017 at 17:50

SteveW Full Member

This is a classic Scholesyism. He's been saying it for years. No point in going into it
  18. Jan 11, 2017 at 18:09

Redo91 Full Member

Well that's just wrong.

So the first touch Ronaldo, for example, had at 18 never improved throughout his career? What makes a players first touch different to all other attributes? Can't a players finishing, passing, etc not improve over time?
  19. Jan 11, 2017 at 18:19

matherto ask me about our 50% off sale!

I know Scholesy talks bollocks most of the time but to suggest first touch can't be improved is quite literally unarguable bollocks.

Simply by chucking the ball up in the air repeatedly and bringing it down or by passing the ball against a wall at various speeds and trapping it as it bounces back you can easily improve your first touch and that's basic kiddie stuff compared to professional football training.

Jesus fecking Christ.
  20. Jan 11, 2017 at 18:22

Bojan11 Full Member

I'm guessing he means that Rashford isn't suddenly going to get a first touch similar to Berbatov overnight. But it definitely can be improved.
  21. Jan 11, 2017 at 18:39

ivaldo Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

No, he doesn't mean that, this is Scholesy, the poster who beleives a player can't improve technically after they turn 18.
  22. Jan 11, 2017 at 18:42

Zlaatan Full Member

Fair enough, at least your man enough to admit it. Props for that.
  23. Jan 11, 2017 at 18:50

Handré1990 Full Member

I'd say yes, and no. I'm totally on the same page as you when it comes to the age and experience thing, I said as much in a post quoted one up from yours. However, there was a lot of posts, and still is a few, complaining about us signing Zlatan and now using him to much at the youngsters expense. The true travesty and unjustice towards Rashford would be to realy on him to bring home the proverbial bacon. He's being handled expertly imo. Mourinho has shown that even if he has a rough patch and gets sidelined for a bit, he will always get his chance if he works hard.
  24. Jan 15, 2017 at 22:01

jackofalltrades Full Member

Disconcerting rumours about him going on loan to Sevilla.
  25. Jan 15, 2017 at 22:04

MounchesterUtd Full Member

Since Rojo was playing a blinder, we should've gone all gung-ho and replaced Carrick with Rashers instead of Rooney.
  26. Jan 15, 2017 at 22:05

Borden Full Member

:lol: First Martial and now Rashford. Slow news day.

Bollocks, he's not going anywhere.
  27. Jan 16, 2017 at 03:38

Sylar Full Member

I think Carrick should have been for Mata.
    Had no issue with Fellaini. Think the other sub however should have been Rashford instead of Rooney though. As seen in the WHU game, Rashford will provide us something more / different due to his pace.