Martial contract thread| Romano: Club confident Martial will sign fresh terms

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Paz, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Sep 12, 2018

King Kana New Member

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Tired of wasting my daily posts to this same question. Since you have read my reply history surely you have seen my same response to same question?

For the last time, I signed up on a United forum to, yes, challenge certain things I see people say about Jose. Not to talk about CFC, which I do on a CFC forum.
  2. Sep 12, 2018

Aloysius's Back 3 Full Member

Could the lad play as a false 9? There's a lot of talk now about moving Rashford upfront - whilst people may argue about playing martial & Rashford upfront vs Rashford & Lukaku -

Could we not play all 3?

Rashford - Lukaku
    Martial

?
  3. Sep 13, 2018 at 15:21

OldTrevil Full Member

He is more than capable of course. Even Jose once admitted that he's very good in between the lines, but he prefers to shunt him on the wing with responsibilities to cross for Lukaku and track the fullback all the way back to his own goal :lol:
  4. Sep 13, 2018 at 15:28

There might not be any reason to watch this again - but check it if you have time

He clearly is meant for the central areas - the way he plays football is much more simple l, subtle, clinical when playing centrally. Whilst obviously most goals from any player will come centrally - however keeping him out wide does nothing to his game play as seen by the video. His strengths, his best positioning, his ball control his finishing makes him a CF, a False 9 or a LF - not a LW. Showed two goals where he started or finished off moves from LW whilst the rest he was in positions of a forward.

In my opinion - his most overrated ability is his dribbling & it's because of that he is made to play as a winger. I look at his goals - he has nimble feet to beat players in close situations within the box by twisting and turning his body & the ball with him rather than actually being a dribbler.

He should not be a winger, nor should he lead the line by himself - he should play as a striking partner either behind a striker or to the left.
  5. Sep 13, 2018 at 16:22

pascell Full Member

Where did he mention Martials new contract, any quotes?
  6. Sep 13, 2018 at 16:45

Adam-Utd Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

His best play comes as a pair of strikers, he likes to drift wide and work the channels.

He doesn't like having his back to goal with 2 defenders watching him IMO, he likes time to isolate a defender and attack them.

We should have stuck with Lukaku / Martial as a front 2 IMO, buying Sanchez while it seemed a good idea at the time just hasn't worked out, and has killed Martial's progress.
  7. Sep 13, 2018 at 17:35

I think Sanchez needs a change in position himself because he seems to lack the sudden acceleration more so than a lack of speed.

The frustrating thing is - it is not the Martial who likes to drift wide work the channels =

Lukaku - likes to drift wide right to work on his left foot
    Martial - likes to drift left to work his right food & as you said isolate defenders. He also has the ability to drop deep to receive the ball; hence why he would not be a bad False 9
    Rashford - he has the ability to work the right and left channel whilst providing a more direct attacking option
    Lingard - I'd argue this guy is a forward too - just someone who works from deep to make the runs in between defenders
    Sanchez - to me he could do any the roles the above guys are doing by adapting his game a little & do it better than anyone.

All the guys there are made for rotations of LF - RF & False 9/ attacking Cam.

Yet no one actually gets to play that - at least not regularly. From day one we had the opportunity to build understanding between players that are made to play in partnerships - not be in different corners of the pitch playing in positions they show weaknesses in.

Confusing.
  8. Sep 13, 2018 at 17:45

acnumber9 Full Member

Shunt him into the same position he’d played all his best football for United from?
  9. Sep 13, 2018 at 17:56

Major New Member

Supports:
    chelsea
    Such a trouble maker this Martial dude. He needs to smile a bit more too. Such poor attitude. A little defensive shift ain't gonna kill you mate.
    Just sell him to us and we'll show him......
  10. Sep 13, 2018 at 18:08

SATA Full Member

Needs to take his chance and show he's desiring to succeed here now that Rashford is out for three games and he will be fresh during the international break now. Can't really see it happening though
  11. Sep 13, 2018 at 19:12

JohnnyKills Full Member

Supports:
    United
    He said something like 'until it's official it's not official', so admitting that talks were in progress.
  12. Sep 13, 2018 at 22:44

Robbyb03 New Member

Put Martial/Rashford up top with Lukaku. Have Sanchez/Lingard play, alongside Pogba/Pereira, slight behind the pair of strikers.
    GK: De Gea
    RCB: Bailly
    CB: Smalling
    LCB: Rojo
    RM: Valencia
    CDM: Matic
    LM: Shaw
    CAM: Pogba
    CAM: Sanchez
    ST: Lukaku
    ST: Martial

Subs:
    GK: Romero
    CB: Lindelof
    CB: Jones
    CDM: Fred
    CAM: Pereira
    CAM: Lingard
    ST: Rashford
  13. Sep 13, 2018 at 23:34

Mainoldo Full Member

How many times does he have to keep proving this?
  14. Sep 13, 2018 at 23:42

Red_toad Full Member

We just get the same he's better as a striker blurb, whilst when he plays there, he's been pretty ordinary for us. As far as I've seen, he's at his best starting out on the left wing and having some freedom to move along the line.
  15. Sep 14, 2018 at 08:07

OldTrevil Full Member

There's never a reason not to watch that again :)
    The kid's a baller and he can finish. Needs to play as a forward basically. Funny as even though being a target man wouldn't get the most of his talents, he has the best hold up play out of all our attackers.
  16. Sep 14, 2018 at 08:23

Posh Red New Member

Well you don't have to look far. A few posts up there is a video with plenty of evidence showing him doing well through the middle.
  17. Sep 14, 2018 at 08:50

redIndianDevil Full Member

I don't think he had a continuous run of games there TBF. Even Lukaku who plays every minute of every games is not that consistent, rotate Lukaku like Rashford and martial, his numbers would be abysmal too.
  18. Sep 14, 2018 at 08:51

redIndianDevil Full Member

Yes, his hold up play is pretty good, even Lukaku gets shoved off because of weak first touch.
  19. Sep 14, 2018 at 10:16

Red_toad Full Member

Playing on the wing and drifting across that line yes, playing as a striker, not really...
  20. Sep 14, 2018 at 11:05

Andycoleno9 Full Member

He would be stupid if he signs new deal. Sure he will get more money than anywhere else but his playing time will be like it is now. Of course, i hope that he is stupid in this case:wenger:
  21. Sep 14, 2018 at 11:54

JohnnyKills Full Member

Supports:
    United
    Quoting a load of mathematical jargon and making flawed comparisons with managers who've had lesser clubs or a shorter time in management. Yep, I don't know how I'll recover from that intellectual drubbing.
  22. Sep 14, 2018 at 14:40

OldTrevil Full Member

First touch and body control are key to good hold up play, and they are Lukaku's main weaknesses but some of Martial's best attributes. So what is Mourinho's solution, is it playing them together? Nope. Is it rotating them? Nah. Instead it is to bench Martial and eternally play Lukaku regardless of form :lol:
  23. Sep 14, 2018 at 15:13

JohnnyKills Full Member

Supports:
    United
    Something doesn't add up here at all.

The club are trying to tie down a player who apparently wants to leave, and they're confident he'll sign - even though the source of his frustration is still sitting in the manager's office.

Seems there are three possible explanations here:

1. Martial hasn't got a problem with Mourinho at all - his agent said he wanted to leave just to get a fat new contract.
    2. Martial's agent has told the club he'll sign a new contract if he's allowed to leave in January or the summer.
    3. It's an open secret behind the scenes that Mourinho will be gone by the start of next season.
  24. Sep 14, 2018 at 15:31

PepsiCola Full Member

I'm feeling the third is most likely. Especially if the season ends with no silverware.
  25. Sep 15, 2018 at 09:09

Silver Full Member

How many times has he actually proven this? Cause he hasn't. At all.
  26. Sep 15, 2018 at 09:14

BrianMcClair'sBarnet New Member

2 and 3 seem the more likelier possibilities.

Personally for the time being I cant see where or when Martial will feature heavily in first team matters.Sanchez,Lukaku,Lingard,Rashford and even Mata seem to be above him in the pecking order for various reasons.
  27. Sep 15, 2018 at 09:40

JohnnyKills Full Member

Supports:
    United
    Yeah i don't see him playing much either.
  28. Sep 15, 2018 at 09:43

Silver Full Member

Can't really see this being the driving force behind Martial signing a new contract. A new manager next season won't automatically mean that Martial is going to be a starter. He's not at that level. And if this is such an open secret then we certainly won't be seeing Pogba and his agent behaving the way they are.

Realistically it's probably no 2 especially since Woodward is so intent on recouping transfer fees.
  29. Sep 15, 2018 at 09:44

pocco loco

Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
    No. 1 and I've suspected as much for a while.
  30. Sep 15, 2018 at 10:06

Silver Full Member

What rubbish. He scored a handful of goals and barely any assists. Out of all the players last season, Martial was never close to being our best player at any point.
  31. Sep 15, 2018 at 10:30

Cassidy No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

He wasn't our best player, but not getting assists is a lie. I believe he had about 10 goals and 9 assists last season.
  32. Sep 15, 2018 at 10:35

Litch Full Member

Love the lad but just don't see this working out. Rom will always start as he's pivotal to the system, Sanchez can be frustrating but always comes up with 'a moment' in games which often leads to a goal, Lingard again works hard and a very difficult player to track with his good movement, and Rashford is direct and again can create problems for defensives.

Martial can be better than all these players But even when they are not playing well still offer something whilst when Martial isn't, he offers very little and can look one dimensional. He seems to not be able to kickstart his game once things don't happen for him and gets progressively worst as the game goes on. Quite the opposite is Sanchez or Rom, who will misplace passes, Rom will miss chances but they keep going. Despite his criticism, I wasn't annoyed about Rashford's sending off cause at least it showed he's growing a set of balls, and would be good to see some emotion for Martial at times even if it's anger towards an opponent, you can turn that into a positive sometimes in games....like Rooney's volley against Newcastle lol
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2018 at 10:41
  33. Sep 15, 2018 at 11:15

Judas Open to offers

Once would be good.
  34. Sep 15, 2018 at 11:16

.Rossi ever get that feeling of déjà vu?

I see Guardiola is saying Sane has to prove himself to get into the first team...

Just saying. .
  35. Sep 15, 2018 at 11:22

Mainoldo Full Member

How about 3 player of the months last season? Or does he need the full 10?;)
  36. Sep 15, 2018 at 11:29

37. Sep 15, 2018 at 11:47

Judas Open to offers

Isn't that just a fan voted thing? What does it really prove? As this place proves, Martial has quite the devoted fanbase.
  38. Sep 15, 2018 at 11:56

MyOnlySolskjaer Creator of Player Performance threads

I trust him more than any other player we have in one on one situations but I just feel he needs to work so much harder on other areas of his game to really unlock his potential.
  39. Sep 15, 2018 at 11:57

Tend to agree
  40. Sep 15, 2018 at 11:57

Mainoldo Full Member

So who would you have voted for player of the month for August?