Martin Samuel's Unbiased, thoughtful and Intelligent article on City and FFP2.0

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Maradona10, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Jan 30, 2018

Maradona10 Duncan Castles

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...g-fast-dont-fall-foul-UEFA.html#ixzz55cFxCGkZ

What an article, its almost as if it was written by City PR team, i fear the Neutrality of the press has been compromised by state funded clubs. One of the most biased and probably paid for articles you will ever read here are some extracts

Blatantly obvious what is happening here, They are creating an enviornment where city are looking like a good guys, but i think every club apart from state funded ones would want spending to be controlled but that doesnt matter when your pockets are lined by new money.
  2. Jan 30, 2018

walkinhop Full Member

When foreign money holds the media and some other critical hubs, any investment of theirs will be supported by well-paid marketing campaigns. There is little point in discussing the points made in the article as they are blatantly and obviously ignorant. It's enough to look at "forces of entitlement" to know the author has been paid to ignore his knowledge of the vocabulary.
  3. Jan 30, 2018

Subho611 Full Member

Stopped reading at Dailymail.
  4. Jan 30, 2018

AkaAkuma Full Member

Surely FFP2.0 is a bad thing for the established elite as it mostly rewards PSG, City and Barca for renewing their squads earlier than others?
  5. Jan 30, 2018

DomesticTadpole Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

Think it is right that they are stockpiling players, but it is because they know they have been doing shady business and are about to be rumbled. The rest is just disgusting.
  6. Jan 30, 2018

borrays New Member

I've said this and I'll say again, city and psg aren't sugardaddy clubs, they're state-funded clubs. Billionaires no matter how rich they are still have limits on how much money they're going to spend. The same can't be said about city and psg. They are basically owned by country. How is a professional club supposed to compete against that?
  7. Jan 30, 2018

RORY65 Full Member

I don't think Samuel is biased by City's PR machine, he's been a long term critic of UEFA on several issues (FFP, Nations League, changes of formats to the European competitions etc.). I don't agree with much of the article but it is fair to say that FFP has been a nonsense while the way money is distributed has made a huge number of European leagues massively uncompetitive and it's difficult to argue that City's owners despite the obvious ethical issues around them have been better owners for City than the Glazer's have been for us.

I really think a lot of United fans are getting a bit paranoid, Mourinho has always been the closest thing to Trump in football and you only have to go on here or twitter now to see so many people continually going on against media biases against us which I don't really think exist.
  8. Jan 30, 2018

Kostur Full Member

Yup, as per above.
  9. Jan 30, 2018

Siorac Full Member

It prevents any other club from 'doing a PSG' though. The mooted FFP 2.0 is less egregious than the previous version was in terms of protecting the established elite so it would be a step in a less wrong direction but it still aims to prevent any club coming up from relative mediocrity and establishing themselves amongst the very best.
  10. Jan 30, 2018

Sweet Square Full Member

Samuel has openly talked about going to yacht boat meetings organised by City owners(The intension being City's owners trying to sell the idea they are in it for the long haul). People need to see Samuel as more in line with newspaper columnists rather than journalists, in that sense what he said isn't particular bad or very interesting.
  11. Jan 30, 2018

Drainy Full Member

With FFP, we all knew of the inflation caused by the state backed clubs but the margins were pretty modest compared to the issue that the Neymar deal has caused.
  12. Jan 30, 2018

The Cat Full Member

Toilet Paper.
  13. Jan 30, 2018

ti vu Full Member

How so?

If you build the club up organically and structurally well, you escape mediocrity. It's more the problem letting Abramovich back then, the Qatar and Shiek pumping fund into a football team, that break hell loose every where. Well run clubs even find it hard to get very top players despite doing nothing wrong.
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  14. Jan 30, 2018

Blue doomer New Member

Supports:
    Manchester City
    Get ready for players wages to escalate on to a whole new level, if or when this gets rubber stamped.
  15. Jan 30, 2018

ti vu Full Member

Thanks for the crocodile tears after starting all this.
  16. Jan 30, 2018

Drainy Full Member

Well, wouldn't you rather it went to the workers?
  17. Jan 30, 2018

POF Full Member

I particularly liked this:

"They moved fast, recruited well, achieved success and balanced the books. Revenue increased through sponsorships"

Well done to City for snagging that Etihad sponsorship deal!

Apart from the fact that United is one of the established elite clubs, I do agree that having these clubs stack the deck so that no other clubs can compete isn't good for the game.

But I don't think state funded clubs with unprecedented wealth and shameless journalists peddling their blatant PR campaigns are any better.
  18. Jan 30, 2018

Ian Reus Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes

They didn't recruit that well even. They basically threw a lot of shit at the wall and kept the lumps that stuck.
    Btw. Is your name RC on 'plenty of fish'?
  19. Jan 30, 2018

SER19 Full Member

City and their panderers are developing a serious victimhood mentality.

Don't think there's ever been such an outwardly biased media towards a single club / the Sanchez saga was dreadfully handled by many papers and barely a blip was made by Guardiolas lack of money comments or wengers comment about where the money comes from. Had it been the other way around there'd have been a crucifixion. The English media, when in love, are a petty bunch of sycophantic losers
  20. Jan 30, 2018

africanspur Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    Mate, let's be honest, that isn't true.

Look, Spurs have suffered perhaps more than most clubs because of these oil backed clubs. Were it not for Chelsea and Man City, we'd likely have been top 4 regulars for the past 10 seasons, with who knows how much revenue or perhaps even a few extra trophies. They've even directly crashed us out of those places a few times over that period.

Still, you look at clubs like Atletico and Dortmund, historically huge clubs which have also had some pretty decent recent success and picked up trophies, competed at the top of the footballing food chain...

Yet their players are still liable to picked off, by the likes of Bayern, Man Utd or Barcelona.
  21. Jan 30, 2018

Buchan has whacked the hammer to Roswell

Why are people still so surprised to see fluff pieces on City so widespread in sports media? Journalists (if they even deserve that title anymore) have been sucked in by the City charm offensive - lavish spreads post-match, five-star facilities at interviews etc. I've completely given up reading anything City-related on the back pages these days. For your sanity, I suggest you do too.
  22. Jan 30, 2018

africanspur Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur

Also, clubs have always had their cheerleaders in the media, nothing new there. I'm pretty sure I remember Wenger saying early on, he used to wine and dine the press corps to ensure he and Arsenal received good coverage from them.

City's business is bloody ridiculous however.
  23. Jan 30, 2018

ti vu Full Member

I meant your teams would gradually being built up well with the structure had PSG, City wouldn't come into play. The so called elite clubs do try to bully other clubs from time to time, however, to the extend of stockpiling players in same positions with project of 22 top player squad, it's quite out of this world.

It's nothing new of course. However, it's not been quite one way traffic before.
  24. Jan 30, 2018

ixa67 New Member

Supports:
    Chelsea
    "Were it not for Chelsea and Man City, we'd likely have been top 4 regulars for the past 10 seasons, with who knows how much revenue or perhaps even a few extra trophies. They've even directly crashed us out of those places a few times over that period". This will always be wrong, not only is it based on assumptions but Chelsea were a better team than Spurs few years before Roman took over.
  25. Jan 30, 2018

KM I’m afraid I just blue myself Staff

City's PR team does well with the media particularly the reason why their owner's poor human rights record aren't scrutinised more in the media but Samuels is a long time critic of UEFA, so not sure if this article is an example of that.
  26. Jan 30, 2018

Kapardin Full Member

Did you miss the numerous articles about how United and Mourinho were stuck in the past and Pep/Conte/Poch were the progressive managers back in December? Or the Pep or Money agenda during the Sanchez transfer?

Some of the journos with an already anti-United bias took it up a notch when Jose became our manager.
  27. Jan 30, 2018

Phil Full Member

Shills everywhere
  28. Jan 30, 2018

JohnnyKills Full Member

Supports:
    United
    He is right that there's something very hypocritical about the la liga clubs complaining about City's spending.

But the way he and other writers portray City as the innocent underdog, the plucky outsider, is unbelievable. And he completely ignores the fact that City's 'sponsorship' is driven by Emirati companies. Whoever's doing City's PR, they must be doing a good job.

If people want despotic regimes entering football and distorting it by throwing money everywhere and sponsoring themselves, they shouldn't be anywhere near the game.
  29. Jan 30, 2018

Infra-red Full Member

Yep. All money that will be leaving the sport. We'll have guys earning £2m per week for kicking a ball around on a lawn.
  30. Jan 30, 2018

Ian Reus Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes

I don't think they'll still be paying them after they retire.
  31. Jan 30, 2018

Classical Mechanic Full Member

Weird isn't it. European football has club owners that fund terrorist groups like ISIS and wage bloody war on their neighouring countries, yet these owners are praised in the media.

Something went badly wrong somewhere along the line.
  32. Jan 30, 2018

Handsome Devil Full Member

Yes, it fair makes your blood boil. And if you read the online comments to the article (A sure yardstick of the lowest common denominator) most people seem to fall for it hook, line and sinker.
    What the article doesn't address is that City and PSG are hellbent on BECOMING the new elite.
  33. Jan 30, 2018

Razvan Full Member

But the main idea of the article is true: one of the main aims of FFP was to try to preserve the established status-quo of historically succesful clubs such as us, Bayern, Real, Barca, Juve.

Sure, there are questions to be asked about the legality/morality of the source of the funding, but, in theory, I don't see any issue with new clubs joining the elite. The more competition there is, the better.
  34. Jan 30, 2018

Nick7 Full Member

It's amazing that he writes an article about City cheating the system and tries to make it look like they're the plucky good guys fighting out underneath big bad UEFA.
  35. Jan 30, 2018

Siorac Full Member

Yeah, no. You really don't. This is a myth. Sure, a club can find itself among the top 4-5 in its respective league with organic building but whenever it achieves anything substantial, the best players will be cherrypicked by the true elite. Going toe to toe with the likes of Bayern, Real Madrid, Barcelona or Manchester United consistently, without the constant fear of losing your best players, is simply impossible without massive investment. Your best hope is Dortmund-style short term success - and it's worth noting that Dortmund are probably the second biggest club in Germany, with the highest average attendance in Europe. Mainz or Eintracht Frankfurt or VfB Stuttgart do not have a hope in hell for even achieving what they did. Unless, of course, massive short-term investment is made.
  36. Jan 30, 2018

Siorac Full Member

But they are 'cheating a system' that was specifically created against them or any other club that tries to take on the established elite by investing massive sums. When they started doing it, it wasn't illegal; it was 'outlawed' precisely because they were doing it.

City are hardly the plucky good guys, PSG even less so - but UEFA is a big bad organisation that protects the interests of its wealthiest, most influential members above all.
  37. Jan 30, 2018

Ace of Spades Full Member

The media are completely up City's ass, complete farce.
  38. Jan 30, 2018

Karel Podolsky New Member

Supports:
    Ex Laziale
    I have been following EPL since mid '90.
    I don't remember Spurs this good in the last few years compared to Spurs pre Abramovic era.

We can't prove Spurs would have been in better position had Chelsea and City not bankrolled by sugar daddies.
  39. Jan 30, 2018

acnumber9 Full Member

In what way was it outlawed? Both clubs just continued doing it anyway with little to no punishment.
  40. Jan 30, 2018

ti vu Full Member

How to become an elite club? Organically growth.

That's no myth. Prior the sugar daddy era, Arsenal sustained quite long period being competitive. They were starting to put serious run in CL too before crashing with stadium project trying earn more money when Chelsea transformed from a debt ridden club to top spenders. There were not as many dream teams back then as nowadays. Valencia won 2 La Liga in the 00s. Bayern ain't as dominant in 2000s with Wolfsburg, Dortmund, Sturgart chipped in here and there. Madrid Barcelona Bayern in the 2000s and earlier would get whopping by some lesser teams more often.

Right now the power is shifted more not because just the elites, but only the sugar daddy funded clubs, also dish on the trailing teams. The latter group is in no position to play the heroic tune, when they're the key to bring football to this chaotic state. The elites has history to be where they are. What the sugar daddy clubs have than the other clubs rather than money?