Messi v Ronaldo

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Rado_N, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Oct 11, 2017

Peyroteo ahahahahah feck off dad!

Supports:
    Sporting CP

It was 3, could have been 7 and Sweden played very well, much better than Ecuador since they were actually the ones with the World Cup on the line. Moutinho was good but he was partly responsible for that phase of the game in the second half when we were completely losing the midfield battle and had to put on William. Not only I think it was a better performance in general but it was also better thanks to Ibra, the progression of the result and what was on the line for both teams.

That performance vs Sweden probably isn't even his best for the national team, I always prefered this one.

2. Oct 11, 2017

IFC 1905 Full Member

It doesn't matter if Messi wins the WC. Here's a guy called Maradona who's done it dribbling 5 guys and winning it on his own. Believe it or not, they want him to do the same. And act like a "leader".
  3. Oct 11, 2017

Supports:
    Sporting CP
    Of course it matters, if you win the World Cup he'll be treated like a God even if he doesn't do it like Maradona.

It's not like media pressure should be bothering these guys anyway, they've been dealing with it all their careers.
  4. Oct 11, 2017

Hernandez - BFA The Way to Fly

Messi, The Greatest of all GOATs.
  5. Oct 11, 2017

IFC 1905 Full Member

I'm telling you, there's a strong amount of people who hate messi because he is a "threat" to maradona in their eyes. Some friends of mine wanted us to get out of the WC!
  6. Oct 12, 2017 at 00:39

Rai7 New Member

Good on Messi to win the game for Argentina. Two great goals and the third was sublime.

Don't know why people seem to think that performance is better than anything Ronaldo has done for Portugal when that's not the case at all. Let's put things into perspective, Ecuador were already eliminated and were playing under a new coach who tried out a bunch of new players in the team to see how they would do. Many of these players being pretty young. Basically, it was Ecuador's B team with nothing to play for. I know this because I'm Ecuadorian and my team really let me down. I'm sure Ronaldo has come through for Portugal on more dire circumstances.
  7. Oct 12, 2017 at 03:12

Pink Moon Full Member

Supports:
    Celtic
    Ronaldo was special v Sweden. It's often forgotten but shouldn't even have been in that position in the first place. He was being marked out of the game in the first leg, headbutted Mikael Lustig in frustration and got away with it probably because Lustig didn't throw himself to the floor and draw attention to it.
  8. Oct 12, 2017 at 03:20

BenjaminP New Member

Tier 1: Pele, Maradona, Messi
    Tier 2: Zidane, C Ronaldo, Ronaldinho
  9. Oct 12, 2017 at 03:32

Supports:
    Sporting CP
    You mean this?

10. Oct 12, 2017 at 14:24

El cagrejo Full Member

Supports:
    FC Luzern
    Am I going crazy or wasn't the Switzerland game the one where he was absolutely terrible but scored the winner in the 120th minute?
  11. Oct 12, 2017 at 15:27

Rai7 New Member

You could say the same thing about Messi with Argentina needing the last game to qualify against possibly the worst team on form in the qualifier. Ecuador lost to everyone in the last few matches after having the perfect start.

Anyways, Brazil to win the WC. They have amazing chemistry and absolutely dominated the qualifiers. In the form they're in they'll beat Germany, Spain, and whoever else is a threat.
  12. Oct 12, 2017 at 16:35

Arbitrium Full Member

@fontaine is back!

7-1
  13. Oct 12, 2017 at 16:52

MalcolmTucker New Member

I think what he's trying to say is MESSI IS A GREAT PLAYER BUT DIFFICULT PERSONALITY
    TOUGH PERSONALITY, HE STILL WON PLENTY CLUB BUT NOT NATIONLEVEL
    NATION
    NATION
    NATION LEVEL
    NATIONAL LEVEL
    NATIONAL LEVEL
  14. Oct 12, 2017 at 18:14

Luke1995 New Member

I wanted to take a look at their performances against the following teams: (With some media if it's ok)

Belgium - Messi had a decent game at the 2014 WC, Ronaldo scored 2 goals against them in an Euro 2008 qualifier and was a threat through the entire match -
    France - Messi had a great performance against them in 2009 - People likely remember Ronaldo's performance against them in the 2006 WC, he played very well in this one too:
    Brazil - Messi is hot and cold with them. Some amazing games like the hat trick in 2012 and the game where he scored a great solo goal in 2010 and some anonymous performances like in the match last year. Ronaldo only played well in the 2007 game, where him and quaresma dominated the match, i'm sure people remember that.
    Spain- The only time I remember Ronaldo ever playing well against spain was in the 2010 friendly where Nani stole his goal. Messi was great here:
    Chile - Ronaldo was anonymous against them in the confederations cup. Messi actually always played well against Chile despite the losses.
    Germany-Ronaldo always struggled against them, didn't even played well in any match. Messi actually played very well in the 2010 match, Maradona ruined it, in the 2014 WC match he was a bit awol.
    Mexico- Once again, Ronaldo was anonymous in the confederations cup. I remember Messi changed the game against them in the 2006 world cup, he came in and argentina started playing better.

Messi never played against Italy and England, but he always did well against Uruguay and Colombia. Ronaldo did well against Italy and England: and It's amazing to see the difference in Ronaldo's style from 2003-04 onwards and how Messi always played the same way as today since he was a kid. My point: Usually both of them played well against big or dangerous to an extent NT's. People like to say ''ah, Messi did nothing here, Ronaldo did nothing here'' but for every game they went awol, there's some they delivered. So why some people hold certain bad performances against them so much when arguing? Just find it curious.
  15. Oct 12, 2017 at 18:28

Moby Dick

:lol: :lol:

Never fails to amuse.
  16. Oct 12, 2017 at 21:06

Gio 4 times Redcafe Draft Winner

Nah you're right, probably the worst performance of anyone at that World Cup.
  17. Oct 12, 2017 at 21:55

Zlaatan Full Member

Simple, it doesn't.. I've been barking up this tree for the past year in some 'GOAT' and 'Messi vs Ronaldo' discussions and no one has given me a logical answer yet, because there simply is none.
  18. Oct 13, 2017 at 07:05

Pink Moon Full Member

Supports:
    Celtic
    Yes. That's a red card.