Mesut Özil

Discussion in 'Classic Threads & Posts' started by charleysurf, Jun 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aug 10, 2010

Viper KGB Full Member

You know I’m bad. Just last week, I murdered a roc
    Modric seems to cope fine.
  2. Aug 10, 2010

Gambit Desperately wants to be a Muppet

When he's on form he's destroyed Inter Milan, Roma and god knows how many European teams with bothb his short passing and long passing game that have been up there with the likes of Veron etc. We haven't seen that side of him for 2 seasons now though. Scholes passing is sublime but Scholes has had some terrible games as well over the last 2 seasons that has led t people on this forum calling for him to retire so which Scholes do I compare him to. (I know Scholes is far better you numpty he's one of the best the worlds ever seen) bt he (Carrick) is easily up there with the Alonso's and Diegos of the world when he's on form.
  3. Aug 10, 2010

Sultan السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته

Modric
    Scholes
    SWP
  4. Aug 10, 2010

Longsden_7 Full Member

silva
    hernandez
    lennon

etc,etc,etc
  5. Aug 10, 2010

SecondFig Full Member

You do realise two of those players haven't played a single Premier League game between them right?
  6. Aug 10, 2010

Mail.

7. Aug 10, 2010

Talking Vulture He's shit, move on.

I'd hardly call Scholes slight.
  8. Aug 10, 2010

Raees Full Member

If you're good enough, the referee doesn't matter
    Alonso is a superior passer, he passes in a far more attacking manner than Carrick and rarely passes back. Italian teams gave Carrick plenty of space hence why he was made to seen god like against them.. those Italian teams were not great sides, Inter were still going through some development. Where Carrick is arguably superior to Alonso is his ability to read the defensive side of the game and have the legs to track back and occupy good positions. His passing is overrated in general, but perhaps if he was more mobile on the ball.. he's be able to create more space for himself in which to unleash more attack-minded passes. His recent game against Chelsea there was a notable change in his mentality, only time will tell if it was a one-off or a sign of things to come.

Diego is a more creative passer than the either of them, seeing as he used to be a trequartista.. he can split defences and think outside the box.. the other two are more metronomic and just there to supply the more creative elements in their team, doesn't make them lesser players than Diego.. far from it, just that they're different and occupy differing positions to a player like Diego.
  9. Aug 10, 2010

Crispy71 Banned

I know he doesn't play in the prem before some numpty has a go - but being small and slight doesn't seem to hinder messi at all even when teams try rough tactics on him. Maradonna seemed to cope quite well also, which proves it's down to skill and mental toughness with a little bit of grit thrown in - how many players were shit scared of our own Nobby Styles?
  10. Aug 10, 2010

Longsden_7 Full Member

Well yeah, but its the same argument. To say a player wouldn't be suited to the PL because its "a bit rough" is stupid these days. It's not 1970 and he played in a league with the likes of Van Bommel
  11. Aug 10, 2010

Seen Carrick do that as well and Alonso is not as good a passer as Carrick regardless of your love for non united players. Spanish teams give Alonso tons of space as well and Diego was shiter than Carrick last season.
  12. Aug 10, 2010

Red Pavan shittest username ever manutddabest791

1.82 m (6 ft 0 in)

How is that small in any sense? :houllier:
  13. Aug 10, 2010

kietotheworld Banned

For every Modric there is a Deco or a Reyes. Of course some players of that build can make it, particularly those brought through the English system, where aggressive football is a given, but a lot of players can't. I'm not saying it's definite that he'd be unable to adapt, but it's something to take into consideration.
  14. Aug 10, 2010

kietotheworld Banned

I wasn't aware of that. Build is much more important than height though.
  15. Aug 10, 2010

Raees Full Member

Carrick and Diego were both shit last year.. but thats besides the point, they're incomparable because totally different type of players. They'd be unable to do each others jobs.

Carrick splitting defences? when has he pulled out passes for us like that one Essien pulled out for Sturridge the other day? Nor do I believe Alonso is famed for these type of passes either. Fact is at Sociedad and Spurs.. both these players had a more attacking role, but they're playing at a higher level now and theres people in the team alongside them that split defences etc on a consistent basis which has meant their talents are better suited in deeper positions.
  16. Aug 10, 2010

Ozil is not short

See Pavan's post above.
  17. Aug 10, 2010

Keep changing your goalposts. :)

Being good at football is the most important criteria.
  18. Aug 10, 2010

vanthaman Winner

breaking news on SSN - Ozil fee agreed with Barca
  19. Aug 10, 2010

Raees Full Member

Deco is a has been.. a peak age Deco would've succeeded in the premiership no doubt, he wasn't outmuscled in the premiership.. more outran and thats purely down to his stamina levels and pace not being what they used to be.

As for Reyes, he's just shown he wasn't a great player in the first place as he can barely hack La Liga.. let alone the physicality of the Premiership.

Class will always handle whatever situation its thrown in, generally.
  20. Aug 10, 2010

Raees Full Member

Has Pep agreed though?
  21. Aug 10, 2010

Sky Sports news are now saying that Barcelona and Bremen have agreed a fee. Sounds like its from all these stories but the fact they're picking it up seems like he Barca bound to me.
  22. Aug 10, 2010

gaffs Full Member

23. Aug 10, 2010

Mitch Conor Holy CRAP BALLS!!

i would also say that a player like Ozil is not one that goes toe to toe with the opposition. Any lack of physicality won't be exposed too often as a result of him trying to burst through defences. His game is based on passing, vision and positioning. getting those things right keeps you away from defenders and midfielders a lot of the time.

I would also say the premiership is a lot less physical than people credit it for. Defenders are still a tough bunch, so forwards are generally given a rough time of it, but in midfield 'tough' tackles are far less tolerated than they used to be and it is generally the players that consistently run at people that get tackled anyway.
  24. Aug 10, 2010

kietotheworld Banned

Agreed, but other criteria should be taken into account. I think Messi is the most 'good at football' in the world, but I'd much prefer we resigned Ronaldo than signed him.
  25. Aug 10, 2010

RedThaiDevils#7 Full Member

Married with Manchester United, In love with Giggs
    Bookies got it wrong again ?
  26. Aug 10, 2010

gaffs Full Member

They are quoting reports in Spain.
  27. Aug 10, 2010

Blair Banned

Oh for fecks sake!!!!!!!!
  28. Aug 10, 2010

Decotron Full Member

Rip
  29. Aug 10, 2010

Mitch Conor Holy CRAP BALLS!!

which are the reports that came out yesterday right? So basically nothing has changed?
  30. Aug 10, 2010

Mainoldo Full Member

It's the same quotes that reported the deal yesterday. So no one really knows but i'm sure a confirmation or denial will come out soon.
  31. Aug 10, 2010

Raees Full Member

Theres also not many instances where a player couldn't hack the premiership and suddenly played at a higher level and was outstanding.

Pique.. but he was barely given a chance at this club due to the competition for places. If Rio was injured back then like he is now, who's to say Pique wouldn't have hacked it.. far too much is made of that error he made in that Bolton game.

Forlan.. outstanding in La liga now.. but he's still not playing for a top top club, who's to say if he didn't play for a Spurs or a lesser side in this league he'd have had less pressure on his shoulders and shown the English League what he's made of. If he moved to Real Madrid after leaving us and was amazing there.. then I could understand why someone would make a fuss on the physicality element.
  32. Aug 10, 2010

oleonenumber20 Full Member

ha ha mass Muppet suicide!
  33. Aug 10, 2010

OneUnited24 Full Member

Funny all the United rumours started because odds on skybet favoured us, the Barca rumours started from some posts on twitter, i wonder if Chelseas interest started with a post from a chelsea forum saying "we should enter the race to sign him"
  34. Aug 10, 2010

MacMUFC Banned

We've got Darron Gibson remember, who needs Ozil? Ha, I remember Souness saying something exactly the same "Who needs Zidane when we've got Tim Sherwood?"

Absolutely ridiculous if we didnt even attempt to bid for Ozil, ludicrous.
  35. Aug 10, 2010

Playing a through ball for a winger to cut in on. Lots of times.
  36. Aug 10, 2010

Enigma_87 Full Member

That is bollocks IMO. No way the fee is 8.3m. For that fee I'm sure Bremen would rather keep him for another year.
  37. Aug 10, 2010

Blair Banned

For £8M we'd be daft not to take a punt.

I mean, he was only one of the best players in the world cup after all.
  38. Aug 10, 2010

Longsden_7 Full Member

The press are being worse than the muppets with this one.

Chelsea have just signed Ramieresand with Kakuta coming through can't see it being them.
  39. Aug 10, 2010

Red Pavan shittest username ever manutddabest791

:lol: 8m

After the impact he had in the world cup, his price is at least double the amount quoted.
  40. Aug 10, 2010

Trigg aka Trippin_Stoned

You do realise there's a chance that we have made an offer and Ozil would rather go else where right? Its all very well saying we're daft for not making a bid etc but we don't know that we haven't made an offer.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.