Microsoft Xbox One

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by RyanGoggs, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Feb 24, 2012

WeasteDevil Banned

I'd argue that any market share Apple gained would come from all three companies currently in the market, and those that have a lot of casual games would come off the worse.

Microsoft and Sony also have people that to a certain extent that are locked into their online infrastructures. That's some sort of safety buffer.

The advantage Apple have here if they could pull it off it the ability to play the game at home, and then carry on playing it on the go as everything will use the same base hardware and everything will run the same OS.
  2. Feb 24, 2012

Sarni nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

Erm, so Nintendo made a system that lasted for five years, at low cost, and outsold both PS3 and 360 by some margin during that time. They also sold millions of first party titles that they made themselves and made even more money out of it. Where's the failure in this? Surely they'd rather sell 1st party titles than 3rd party titles?
  3. Feb 24, 2012

Redlambs Creator of the Caftards comics

Officially the best poker player on RAWK. Your cas
    It's a failure because it isn't black and doesn't say Sony on the front.

That about sums up the discussion.
  4. Feb 24, 2012

WeasteDevil Banned

See, you prove once again that you have no reading comprehension or choose to ignore what I said. I said that it was a failure relative to what it could have been. Out of the gate it was breaking all of the records set by the PS2 in terms of sales, but then fell on its arse. It had no legs, and it could have had legs if certain design decisions were made differently. Nintendo themselves admit this. At the end of the day we're in a position where PS2 was released about 18 months before the Game Cube, and will still be in manufacture after the manufacture of Wii is stopped. That's one console that has spanned two generations. Wii could have done the same if it had garnered 3rd party support, but it didn't due to mistakes made in the design phase of the Wii.
  5. Feb 24, 2012

WeasteDevil Banned

When the fat lady sings, it will not have done, and Nintendo will end up having less than 33% share of the market for that generation. You need to bundle the XB360 and the PS3 together. It doesn't matter which company sold what, it shows that Nintendo missed out on a massive amount of revenue because of hardware design decisions made with the Wii. They admit this themselves, thus why Wii U is taking a different approach.
  6. Feb 24, 2012

RyanGoggs Insists on dating women in public places - for the

What the feck are you on about bundling them together. There are always the fanboys who will buy Sony or MS products regardless. For now Nintendo is clearly winning this gen. They made more sales in terms of hardware as well as a better margin per console sold. By your own admission they made more money on software. From the view of a shareholder, Nintendo have been the most succesful this generation.

Whose to say that when Wii U is released that sales for 360 and PS3 may dry up?
  7. Feb 24, 2012

WeasteDevil Banned

Why am I bundling them together? Because it represents a segment of the market that is different to the segment of the market that Nintendo chose to go after. The Wii could have gone after both if different design decisions had been made in terms of the design of its hardware, they could have made even more money. Wii was never sold on the cheap, it was actually a rip off for what it was. It's as simple as that.

360 and PS3 sales are not going to dry up as PS2 sales did not dry up, but there is an even stronger case now, as people are in one way or another locked into the PSN and XBLIVE ecosystems. PS3 still hasn't hit mass market price point, and neither has the high-end XB360. Wii U is not going to magically produce better looking games than either of those machines either. It will simply get raw ports of XB360 and PS3 games from the 3rd parties who are not going to start ignoring an installed userbase of 130 million in favour of a new console.

You're going to be in for a shock, because Wii U in terms of power will not be that much greater than XB360 or PS3 - Nintendo are going to attempt to pull the same trick again, but this time with a tablet controller, and I don't see any compelling reason with that why any XB360 or PS3 owner would make the jump because of it.
  8. Feb 24, 2012

Those goalposts get wider and wider...
  9. Feb 24, 2012

Sarni nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

It will also support all Wii titles and the controller so you're basically getting two consoles in one. I agree that it might be difficult but we've reached a point where improvements in graphics will no longer be that important, I think most people are happy with how PS3/360 games look and won't be lured into buying a more powerful console that easily. They had to come up with something new and if that controller has a purpose, then it might be a good choice.
  10. Feb 24, 2012

WeasteDevil Banned

Supporting Wii titles shouldn't be a problem, as hardware wise it's a piece of dogshit. There is massive opportunity to improve graphics and control latency. Many XB360 and PS3 games run at sub 720p resolution, can't hit a locked 30 frames per second, have low quality textures, pop-in, poor alpha and shadow resolutions, etc.

As for the Wii controllers, are new games going to even support them? Or are they going to focus on this tablet thing? What if only one can be used? This is what a lot of people are missing, you can't play all of those party games with one controller which will be the focus of the machine, and secondly, producing the images for that controller will take away time from rendering the main screen. It might have a more powerful GPU than PS3 and XB360, but if it's having to render a scene for two or possibly more screens, in the end you'll get nothing much more than what a PS3 or XB360 can do, and the latter is 6 years old.

As for whether people want better graphics, how come AMD/ATI and nVidia don't seem to have a problem shifting high end graphics cards?
  11. Feb 24, 2012

Dan Aka Lumines

No, the current Apple TV is hard to get hold of now, which indicates a new model on the way.
  12. Feb 24, 2012

MclarenMP4 Full Member

Steve Jobs was working on a new Apple TV concept before he died and supposedly he had some radical ideas for revolutionizing the TV market. So I would assume that will be the next step.

I'm wondering if Apple might go down the route of the thinclient console similar to what OnLive are doing currently. I have a feeling that eventually this is what the console market will become as the compression and data rates increase.

Steve Jobs 'Cracked' the Secret to an Apple TV Set Before He Died | News & Opinion | PCMag.com
  13. Feb 24, 2012

Lastwolf Full Member

People want better graphics but they don't want true photo realism, not till true VR is available anyway.

there will always been push the envelope gaming, I though Sony where on to something with this whole cell chip thing but no-one else has really went the same direction since.
  14. Feb 24, 2012

WeasteDevil Banned

The Cell BE was done to provide a platform for 3 console generations, as it's a scalable processing platform. You'll also see it used in all Sony electronics once it's on a node that requires no active cooling. At 3.2Ghz it can decode 8 1080p HD video streams in realtime.
  15. Feb 24, 2012

The idea for the cell isn't new, Sony just invested heavily into it. Much like the 'emotion engine' of the PS2, they made a big thing of it ,but whether it is the way forward remains to be seen. After all, we were told it would be used in everything and it isn't even in Sony's latest release! (The vita).

For the record (and before Weaste jumps down my throat), the Cell is extremely impressive. However the architecture of the PS3, much like that of it's former, has proved it's drawback. The PS3 should beable to stand out clearly about the 360, yet it does not.
  16. Feb 24, 2012

Indeed, but do you think there'll be a third console generation using it?
  17. Feb 24, 2012

WeasteDevil Banned

No!
  18. Feb 25, 2012

Badunk Full Member

So, about this Durango then...
  19. Feb 25, 2012

Little Fact (since weaste loves them). Type in Microsoft Durango into Google and this is the first web link.
  20. Feb 25, 2012

Yep back on topic:

What does everyone think the Durango will be like?

Just an upgraded 360
    Dual screen a la WiiU
    A focus on downloadable software
    Any other new functions?
  21. Feb 29, 2012

22. Feb 29, 2012

Olly Ought to be paid for his graphic services

23. Feb 29, 2012

Innovative company are ol' Sony
  24. Feb 29, 2012

Amen.
  25. Feb 29, 2012

Weaste is going to tear you two a new one!

What the hell, might as well join in: Sony - always the follower, never the innovator ;-)
  26. Feb 29, 2012

Devil_forever You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever

Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
    That's quite old news and if Sony filled for a patent in 2010,then they must have had plans for it well in advance of it. I don't see how you can imply they've copied Nintendo.

Anyway, that controller looks a lot more advanced than the Wii U controller tbf. I can't get my head around some of those drawings, will be interesting to see if Sony actually go for a controller like that and how they implement all those ideas.

Mind you, companies file for all sorts of patents which are never used anyway, so I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see this thing. That is unless Nintendo prove it's successful of course;):angel:
  27. Feb 29, 2012

Nintendo were working on this back in 2001, there's probably some youtube video to prove it.

Oh and if you can't make out the drawings, how do you know it looks more advanced?

It's a turd!
  28. Feb 29, 2012

[​IMG]

:D
  29. Feb 29, 2012

I said I can't get my head around some of the ideas/drawings, not that I can't make out the drawings!

Regarding your opinion of it being a turd, I think we both know someone who might disagree with you on that!
  30. Feb 29, 2012

Everything and everyone's opinion is a turd!
  31. Feb 29, 2012

Everything's and everyone's apart from Sony's that is. Any opinion that contradicts that is a turd.
  32. Feb 29, 2012

Your opinion is a turd!

Which is blatantly wrong, because I have evidence a Sony employee once did a turd and as such, your turd of an opinion is owned by Sony!

Judas!

!

!

!
  33. Feb 29, 2012

You're now officially on the list................Weaste's list of turds that is.

Turd. In. Peace. Lambs
  34. Feb 29, 2012

:lol: He's not going to see the funny side of this!

We are all turds!
  35. Feb 29, 2012

That's what makes it all the more funnier!

And @ your second comment, speak for yourself:p
  36. Mar 1, 2012

Hal9000 Full Member

To be fair, it's not really an innovation.

Sega and Dreamcast probably had the first incarnation. I'm pretty sure you could use your DS with the gamecube in someway. Sony also uses the PSP for either remote play or for some extra functions.

So the screen thing and it's not really an innovation, what Nintendo intend to do with it has been done for a whilst. All they have done is package it in a controller that comes with the console, rather than have those functions via a separate handheld console.
  37. Mar 1, 2012

Dan Aka Lumines

38. Mar 1, 2012

That would be hilarious, it would prove me right once and for all about Sony's 'amazing' processors and architecture of their machines, and although it'd come a bit late it might even move them forward in the gaming industry. Above all else, though it should shut Weaste up, it won't :lol:

However, as much as I'd love to break precedence and go with a rumour, as always I'll believe it when I see it.
  39. Feb 6, 2013

Dan Aka Lumines

A lot of people won't like this if it's true.

http://www.edge-online.com/news/the...hand-games-50gb-blu-ray-discs-and-new-kinect/
  40. Feb 6, 2013

Adzzz Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner

Sony are gonna dick on it. Gut feeling.