Mike Phelan returns

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by K2K, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Dec 19, 2018

Slaford RED Banned

Rene was the coach - Phelan the water carrier
  2. Dec 20, 2018

MikeKing Full Member

Supports:
    Bournemouth
    I know this isn't a popular opinion, but this man was the secret behind SAF success in later years, and to see this man back is something I always wanted to see happen. Will bring us trophies, red balloons will be flying over the city.
  3. Dec 20, 2018

roseguy64 Full Member

Pretty much true as it regards to actually being on the training ground and being there with the players
  4. Dec 20, 2018

SER19 Full Member

Your opinion is not verified evidence of anything im afraid. I just asked you a simple question
  5. Dec 20, 2018

peridigm Full Member

SAF stated this himself in an interview. Can’t recall from when and where but it was around or shortly after his retirement if I recall. Maybe I read it in his book.
  6. Dec 20, 2018

mariachi-19 Full Member

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster

All throughout his book. He said that when he started at Manchester United he was all over it. Running the trainings, tactics etc. But he realised later on that he couldnt do it all and that a job of this size requires delegation and you're fecking mad to do it on your own (perhaps a slight dig at Moyesy). The purpose of his leadership in later years was bringing in like minded people with the right attributes to ensure that while he may not have been at every training, his philosophy was instilled into the players through them.

My impression is that Maulsteen and Phelan are two of Fergies most trusted subordinates and that placing Phelan and even Ole to an extent back into the mix, is about re-instilling that winning culture throughout the club that has somewhat dissipated in recent years. If Fergie was 10 years younger, I'd say he'd have taken back over but he knows his time has come and he cant physically perform the job the club needs...

Make no mistake but, he'll be pulling a few strings until the end of the season.
  7. Dec 20, 2018

Andersonson New Member

Two Mikes in the squad now, im happy!
  8. Dec 20, 2018

el3mel Full Member

He's a pretty good coach and I'll be happy with him as an assitant long term to help the upcoming. He's far better than those retired players like Giggs and Carrick.
  9. Dec 20, 2018

iKnowNothing Full Member

For all the optimistic views surrounding these appointments, I really hope they deliver something - better quality of football, better results or both (ideal case scenario).

If this experiment fails, then we will be left wondering what next to do. That's probably the worst thing that can happen to this club.
  10. Dec 20, 2018

RedCurry Full Member

Not sure what to expect from him. I remember those times when we used to get completely out-run in the midfield by the opposition. We had genuine goalscorers and world class defenders to make his job a lot easier than it will be this time.
  11. Dec 20, 2018

red4ever 79 Full Member

Supports:
    Red Devils
    Again, I couldnt care less if he fell out with the manager. He is paid to perform for Manchester United, to show a desire and effort to please the club and the fans. That effort has gone missing as of late. Needs to start delivering and quickly
  12. Dec 20, 2018

Tarrou Full Member

If he wares his shorts on Saturday I might shed a tear
  13. Dec 20, 2018

devilish Juventus fan who used to support United

He's back

[​IMG]
  14. Dec 20, 2018

Have you ever worked with aholes as your manager?
  15. Dec 20, 2018

Volumiza New Member

Yes, plenty and I get on with the job I’m paid to do. Pogba and all players should do this.
  16. Dec 20, 2018

So your performance didn't dipped at all. Were you manufactured at skynet btw?

I was in that situation when i worked in a testing department. My condition helped me massively in the job and while the average dude could find 3-4 issues i could come out with 20 sometimes even 30 a day. Thats great for the job i was in

A new manager came in from abroad. He seemed a great guy but was an introvert who didn't made friends easily. In his previous job he lived with his own colleagues in a big bang theory like siituation.

We did our best to accomodate him. We would go out in weekends to show him the place and spent hours after work playing pc games with him. After 2 months i started to cut off from that though. I had family to take care off and couldn't nanny my boss.

That's when the discrimination and bs started. Those who kept nanny him were allowed breaks that lasted hours while i was picked on for making coffee. I was the top performer yet my pc was the only one in the entire department not to be changed etc.

I kept doing my work but my perfomance dipped. I still found more faults then all of them combined which was the reason why he didn't fire me but i was nowhere near to what i used to be. The reason being was i was more concerned of avoiding the next warning then actually doing my job

Ultimately he got what he wanted. I corrected an intern under me who was playing video games during work and He took his side. I just resigned there and then. I didn't even bother ending the day saying that if i did i risked smashing his face so the director let me go. I warned them all they will be next and guess what, 1 year after he replaced them all with his mates from the previous job
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
  17. Dec 20, 2018

Wednesday at Stoke Full Member

Supports:
    Time Travel
    Yeah I always thought Rene was the brains behind the operation.
  18. Dec 20, 2018

Eric's Seagull Full Member

Some of us have probably worked with much bigger a-holes for minimum wage so I'd definitely work for an a-hole for the reported £280,000 a week Pogba is on.
  19. Dec 20, 2018

Volumiza New Member

For what he’s earning a week? Yes, I’d run through walls everyday ffs
  20. Dec 20, 2018

And come out fighting the other side mate ;)
  21. Dec 20, 2018

Mainoldo Full Member

So why ask me? You could have googled if you was that interested.

If you ever watched his youth team play you would understand how McKenna coaches. We see non of that with this first team.
  22. Dec 20, 2018

Read my former post. I added to it. Ps money means little when you lack respect
  23. Dec 20, 2018

Mainoldo Full Member

£280,000 a week sounds like a lot of f-u money to me. I’m pretty sure if your bank balance was like Pogba you wouldn’t accept certain things which meant your mortgage would still be paid. Just saying.
  24. Dec 20, 2018

Mainoldo Full Member

He had 1 bad game and was publicly outed. Give it a rest.
  25. Dec 20, 2018

r3idy Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

Some players will, some players can't, some players won't. Its human Psychology I'm afraid
  26. Dec 20, 2018

I've worked some right fecking cnuts sometimes 7 days a week occasionally on 17.5hr shifts and still struggled to eat decent. I'd be happy with egg and chips every day to have the job I loved as a living. Some dont realise how easy they have it mate.
  27. Dec 20, 2018

When you can barely make ends meet you'll stay for everything. Once you don't you won't. Im speaking from experience here
  28. Dec 20, 2018

Fair point mate. So true. Its nice to speak someone whose been in the situation as they appreciate it themselves
  29. Dec 20, 2018

K2K Full Member

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
    Pogba has been one of our better players this season. Had far more good games than not.

It's the players that Mourinho has shown blind trust in like Lukaku and Matic that have shown consistently poor performances yet were persisted with for months.
  30. Dec 20, 2018

PaulRich Full Member

Sound like were making strides to reassemble Fergies bootroom plus a few additional lieutenants who also know the club backwards. Lets hope the next permanent incumbent doesn't do a Moyes and actually considers such resources as a major benefit. We're fecked if Steve Round and his flipcharts makes a comeback though.
  31. Dec 20, 2018

K2K Full Member

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
    True

Yet other players got the benefit of the doubt. The level of double standards was just shocking and it does have an effect on players. They are only human.
  32. Dec 20, 2018

crossy1686 Full Member

If we make strides in the next few months and Solskjaer does leave at the end of the season, I suspect there will be a clause to keep most of the current staff and work under a DoF. We won't make the same mistakes twice.
  33. Dec 20, 2018

Personally I think it was arrogance and his ego more than blind trust mate.
    I don't think he could take it his own players were not performing up to the standard. His ego couldn't take it that his players weren't performing so he kept them in the team at the expense of results to give of the persona of him being loyal to his players.

When in fact his ego couldn't let him drop them as that would be a mistake on his part and I don't think the narcissistic side in him couldn't admit he made a mistake.
  34. Dec 20, 2018

Don't know if it is possible but I hope that they can put sometime of clause in the next guys contract and do a Moyesy and get rid of so many staff.
  35. Dec 20, 2018

My first job was shift work 15 hrs a day on minimum wage. Overtime wasn't paid off and we had to pay hefty union fees which we rarely benefited from as we were on zero contracts. I stuck to it because i needed to may enough money to return to uni.

Now my financial situation has improved and i afford working the hours i want. I get paid less then i potentially can but i don't give a feck. That benefits the company i work in as well as a happy employee is an extremely productive one. I do more in 20hrs then the average guy in 40.

Players are waaaaaaaaaay richer then we are and someone like pogba can actually choose were to work as opposed to lets say fellaini who must thank his lucky stars he didn't end up playing with besiktas.

Our board's biggest failure is their inability to understand SAF. By the end of his career SAF was neither the greatest tactician in football nor the flashiest name. His greatest assets were his ability to patiently build successful sides with minimum resources and his world class man management skills. He could buy, a donkey, he would fit him in a system that was perfect for that player and he could make him feel so special :cough: valencia :cough: that he'll end up playing like WC. His successors did the exact opposite. They bought WC players, they forced them in a system which was unsuitable for them and by doing so they turned them into donkeys
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
  36. Dec 20, 2018

fallengt Full Member

What does Mike do? Why the board feel the need to bring him back?
    Might as well bring Queiroz back, he's more of a manager/assistant than Mickey
  37. Dec 20, 2018

SER19 Full Member

I asked you because your initial post more than strongly insinuated mckenna wasnt coaching the team or 'allowed' to. Ive never seen any evidece of that. Maybe you have a greater insight to the day to day workings of the club and training sessions.
  38. Dec 20, 2018

Mate I feel sorry for you and fully understand the situation and you got doubly sh!tted on by them giving you a zero hour contract, these things stink but they look good in the Government employment statistics. Well done for going to uni mate. Happy for you that you now have a job that you are happy with mate.

I don't think they realise how lucky they are, one of Vinny Jones' first jobs was carrying bricks up a ladder on a hod for for his father, not a pleasant job speaking from experience but it builds character and makes you value money more.

Sir Alex was great at what he did and he even at one point played with 7 or 8 central defenders in his starting eleven. After he left they made a big mistake and tried doing a mini Real Madrid and just buying stars on mega contracts and stuffing them where they didn't fit.

You're an inspiration to a lot of guys mate.
  39. Dec 20, 2018

Mainoldo Full Member

I understand but what we fail to realise is a lot of players haven’t come from rich upbringings like a Frank Lampard. To insist they are lucky and should be grateful is abit tongue and cheek (not saying you have said this, just what I’ve seen). They’ve worked as hard as most people in life. Plus as the great B.I.G said. More money more problems.
  40. Dec 20, 2018

Mainoldo Full Member

Yeah I do. So hopefully we can look forward to some better football.