Minimum native players in starting 11

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by P-Nut0712, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Jun 14, 2018

P-Nut0712 fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho

So was listening to the build up to Russia v Saudi Arabia and a familiar topic cropped up.

In the Russian league there is now a rule that there must be a minimum of 5 Russian players.

It's something that has been mentioned many times to be considered for the Premier League. However, many think that this current Russian side is the worst that there has ever been. The argument from many being that it has made the players lazy in knowing that they are a rare commodity and that if they play badly for their side they will just get a transfer to another Russian side that needs the numbers.

So what do you think? Would it be something worth considering in the premier league?

It's something I wouldn't mind seeing, with possibly a lower number initially, it would allow the greater young talents a more feasible route into the first team in my view.
  2. Jun 14, 2018

Keeps It tidy Hates Messi

It would be a complete disaster.
  3. Jun 14, 2018

Raw Full Member

If it was 2 or 3 players I wouldn't mind it. 5 is too much and would weaken English teams in Europe.

What about teams like Cardiff or Swansea? Do they have to have English players or do they have Welsh players instead?
  4. Jun 14, 2018

Moriarty Full Member

Supports:
    A wife and a cat.
    It wouldn't work in the Premiership. The global nature of modern football militates against such an idea. Until the FA gets its act together and starts seriously funding grass-roots football in England, then it can never happen. The lack of coaches and facilities is shameful.
  5. Jun 14, 2018

Moriarty Full Member

Supports:
    A wife and a cat.
    I suppose it would have to be Welsh, if you apply a strict standard.
  6. Jun 14, 2018

To be fair the English youth teams are blossoming at the moment. Maybe the benefits of moving everything to St. Georges park?
  7. Jun 14, 2018

The Cat Full Member

I dunno. The point is to protect the national team of the league you play in so I would think it would have to be English players.
  8. Jun 14, 2018

Moriarty Full Member

Supports:
    A wife and a cat.
    I hope so.
  9. Jun 14, 2018

711 Full Member Scout

The premier league can't legislate against EU players whilst the UK is in the EU, and possibly not afterwards, depending how it goes. And as every South American player seems to have a Spanish or Italian grandmother you can add them to the list too.
  10. Jun 14, 2018

duffer Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's Scout

Each team in each league should have at least 3 players who are eligible to play for the national side (of whatever league we're talking about).
  11. Jun 14, 2018

shamans 1 set of sheets, optimistic about chances of sex

It's a crap rule. Way more fun to just let it all out and have the strongest possible team
  12. Jun 14, 2018

Moriarty Full Member

Supports:
    A wife and a cat.
    In the squad or in the starting XI?
  13. Jun 14, 2018

duffer Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's Scout

If it was up to me it would be "on the pitch at all times". If it was just in the squad, with 7 subs it would barely make a difference.
  14. Jun 14, 2018

djembatheking Full Member

It would have to be 5 English players surely as they are playing in an English football league and not welsh .
  15. Jun 14, 2018

Njord Full Member

Think it is more important to normalize english players going abroad to play. Right now it seems that if you can't hack it in the PL, you go to the championship. A lot of players would benefit from finding levels in between, like the french or dutch league.
  16. Jun 14, 2018

Yeah I think it would work quite well. No reason every league couldn't initiate something like that (barring the EU law)
  17. Jun 14, 2018

Mrs Smoker Full Member Scouse Lover

Supports:
    Panthère du Ndé
    I would welcome it.
  18. Jun 14, 2018

harms Way Staff

The system was a complete disaster in Russia, hopefully nothing similar will be introduced in the Premier league
  19. Jun 14, 2018

Moriarty Full Member

Supports:
    A wife and a cat.
    Right. That was my thought too.
  20. Jun 14, 2018

Yeah that's the main reason I started the thread. For years I've heard people championing the idea. To see how badly it's gone in Russia is good for thought.
  21. Jun 14, 2018

R'hllor Full Member

Enforcing number of domestic players on league wont improve quality of domestic players imo. The moment their passport means more then quality vs price/wages is start up for a mess. They would become more overpriced, more overpaid just because they are domestic, it doesnt make sense. English pundits, ex pros shouting about English players not getting chances in PL, well world is huge place, till recently, young English players made decisions like to stay home and play for teams in Championship rather then go to some team in Holland, Portugal, Germany who is in EL/CL.

Finally few young players realized that going to Dortmund is better then sitting at City, not only they will develop, they will experience EL/CL, their stock will rise and the end they can come back to PL like first team players and not someone to fill numbers.
  22. Jun 14, 2018

Peyroteo Professional Ronaldo PR Guy

Supports:
    Sporting CP
    Have you seen England's results in youth tournaments recently and the players that are being brought up? There's plenty of quality around, now it's a question of if they get opportunities or not. Other countries solved this problem by creating B teams, that doesn't seem like it's something english fans would approve of though.
  23. Jun 14, 2018

Bobski Full Member

It would be good for parity if it was a Europe wide rule, perhaps give some of the smaller leagues more of a chance to compete, perhaps retain their talented players for longer instead of them being hoovered up to sit on a bench somewhere. The European Cup/CL was far more interesting when the talent was spread, perhaps the very top end level was lower with fewer super teams but the depth was there. Could also bring coaching back in as more of a decisive element, instead of just overpowering teams with talent, tactics and innovation would be needed.
  24. Jun 14, 2018

TheeAma New Member

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Implement a system like what the Germans have and what the Spanish have. Both Nations produce world class talent and their youngsters are given chances. Problem with england is too much money. So clubs decide to buy a solution than develop one.

I say if you enforce a minimum of english players you will also have to create a proper B league so that youth players can play competitive footy and develop better. In Germany you have a minimum required amount of german players must be registered maybe increase the home grown rule from a minimum of 8 to maybe 10 that would force the clubs to start using youngsters or atleast develop better players.

If 10 out of a 25 man squad are home grown players then you might see some players coming through.
  25. Jun 14, 2018

BBRBB Full Member

Supports:
    Paris Saint-Germain
    This doesn't work in Russia because they put no effort whatsoever into their youth development.
  26. Jun 14, 2018

Keeps It tidy Hates Messi

The best thing England has going for them is the strength of the Football League. B teams would be an eff you to teams below the Premier League.
  27. Jun 14, 2018

Sky1981 Fending off the urge

Dont they have several layers of league to showcase their talent?

Quantity isnt equal to quality
  28. Jun 14, 2018

limerickcitykid There once was a kid from Toronto...

Grassroots isn't even close to being England's problem. Such a lazy criticism bandied about by people who don't know what they're talking about.
  29. Jun 14, 2018

Mibabalou Full Member

53', 93', 94', 99', 90+1', 90+3', 26', 34'
    The book soccernomics touched on this and the argument is all this would do is make the overall level of play lower and keep good players from getting better; their proposed solution is less England players playing but since h league is of higher quality even with 10% playing those 10% would be of higher quality since the league it’s itsself is better.
  30. Jun 14, 2018

Moriarty Full Member

Supports:
    A wife and a cat.
    So what's your solution then? Let's have the word from someone who does know what they're talking about...
  31. Jun 14, 2018

golden_blunder Site admin. Manchester United fan Staff

It’s just a flip of the 3 foreigners rule which didn’t really work then and was seen as a dirty tactic to weaken the English sides in Europe whilst keeping Spain and Italy strong
  32. Jun 14, 2018

Mibabalou Full Member

53', 93', 94', 99', 90+1', 90+3', 26', 34'
    The thing with England is they’re exaclty where the should be, 2nd tier team with about a 60% of a win percentage since the 66 World Cup.

Your at about 80% the population of Germany and about 25% of Brazil. You also suffer from geography as less players and managers stay in the auK instead of trying to move to mainland Europe where ideas about football travel faster.
  33. Jun 14, 2018

klsv Full Member

According to this: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44360116
    English players play less minutes of league football than Spanish, Brazilian and French players, but more than those from Portugal, Uruguay, Germany and Argentina. So I don't think it can be said the results of the NT are as they are because of players not getting enough minutes in their clubs.

How are the recent cases of English youngsters going to Bundesliga viewed from NT's point of view? For example, would Sessegnon benefit from joining a mid-table Bundesliga side instead of staying at Fulham?
  34. Jun 14, 2018

Classical Mechanic Full Member

Isn’t it about 65% of the population of Germany?

I think England should do better than they have since 2006 though. We have been dire since then in tournaments. Before that it wasn’t actually too bad all things considered.
  35. Jun 14, 2018

Ramshock CAF Pilib De Brún Translator

Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
    There has to be some solution that encourages clubs to cultivate more home grown talent.
  36. Jun 14, 2018

Classical Mechanic Full Member

End the loan system. This will stop the likes of City, Chelsea and United to a lesser extent from hoarding young players. Which will mean that young talent will be more spread out across clubs, helping with smaller clubs being able to sell developed talent for higher fees rather than having them nabbed at 14 or 15.

Create a rule where a young player can break their contract if over the age of 20 and not played more than 15 times a season or so.
  37. Jun 14, 2018

Scroto Baggins Full Member

I wouldnt say end it but drastically change the rules around it.
  38. Jun 14, 2018

InLevyITrust Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Encourage our youth and even older players to move abroad, this will improve everything. The figures of “British” players moving abroad at youth or even older players is strange. If I was a youth or early 20’s player I’d be asking my agent to look at shifting me abroad, so many reasons to do it and I don’t know why more don’t do it. If you were playing at Everton, Stoke or Sunderland and had the chance to live and play in Rome, Barcelona or Lyon I bloody well know where I would chose. Culture, cost of living, experience, I mean seriously where is the block?
  39. Jun 14, 2018

TheeAma New Member

Supports:
    Chelsea
    One point we are forgotting is how the academies choose players, the premier league is far too physical when compared to the other leagues who put a focus on technical qualities. If you look at Chelsea's academy even tho they can't bring through a player yet most of the youngsters are technically sound.

Thier was an interview with some La Massia coaches who said if Barcelona focused on physical attributes they would have never found the likes of Messi,Fabregas,Inesta, Xavi, Pep etc.

The english game needs to change, when you look at the national team how many are those players considered playmakers or have great technique on the ball?
  40. Jun 14, 2018

goober88 New Member

Quotas only help average players who won't be playing for their NT anyway. The elite players (those who will play for their NT) will break through anyway and will go to a higher level because of the better competition. It it curious that England were in the midst of a golden generation before the quotas came in and afterwards declined in terms of talent available.

If we're talking about it from a wider societal perspective, no quotas are better for the English. Better players mean better attendances and more interest, which means more jobs for the average English person. Let the foreigners come!