Miscellaneous Reserve/Youth News

Discussion in 'Reserve/Youth Forum' started by Cevno, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Jul 14, 2017

don't sign old players Full Member

Now let me get this straight. We got torn to pieces by some 2 bit Austrian outfit? What's this world coming to.
  2. Jul 14, 2017

lysglimt Full Member

It's a regional side in Bayern - not Austria. But losing to a League 6 side in Germany on paper sounds bad yeah
  3. Jul 14, 2017

StephenH Full Member

Don't know who scored but teams were;
    1st half -

Laird, Dunne, Dishon, O'Connor
    Levitt, Galbraith, Traore
    Williams, Burkhart, Baars

2nd half -
    Tanner, Ercolani ???, Spratt
    Puigmal, Garner, ???
    McGhee, Mellor, Largie
  4. Jul 15, 2017

khoazany Full Member

It's a first pre-season game so everyone plays and they are a senior side, is it that much of a surprise?
  5. Jul 15, 2017

barmyarmy Full Member

Is R.williams already fit or still injured. Did gomes and Gribbing featured in the match?
  6. Jul 15, 2017

lysglimt Full Member

Am I a bit surprised that our best youngsters were beaten 3-0 by a regional side in Germany ? A bit yeah. Is it something I am concerned about ? No
  7. Jul 15, 2017

Stobzilla Official Team Perv

Outstanding work from us to keep them to 0 goals without playing a keeper :)
  8. Jul 15, 2017

Redo91 Full Member

So is Gomes with the under 23 or under 18 group? I'm a little surprised to see O'Connor with the under 18's although the under 23's do seem well stocked in defence.

Looking forward to seeing how Puigmal and Traore do.
  9. Jul 15, 2017

khoazany Full Member

Henderson vs. Johnstone today as Shrewsbury Town beats Aston Villa 2-1 in a friendly.

Henderson wore number 1 anyway so looks like will be first choice for them this season. He played 52 min and they conceded after 89 min so a "clean sheet".
  10. Jul 15, 2017

StephenH Full Member

I was told 18s - but I think he may have been with the 23s. Haven't seen who lined up for them yet.
    I dunno who the keepers were - didn't think it was that important...
  11. Jul 15, 2017

Redo91 Full Member

Cheers for the reply. Would be good if the club gave some confirmation of who was in the squads.
  12. Jul 16, 2017

Stobzilla Official Team Perv

It wasn't, I was kidding.
  13. Jul 17, 2017

GroteBergMan98 Full Member

Feyenoord's Joshua Zirkzee (16) might be an option for United after Redan chose Chelsea. Scored 31 in around 25 last season and was already being moved through to the U19s. He's very likely leaving with Ajax, PSV and multiple clubs from outside of Holland being options.

I'm not sure if we're actually interested in him but I think he's an interesting option, he's tall, strong, good on the ball and a huge threat in the box.
  14. Jul 17, 2017

Sammyjunn Full Member

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
    He'll lose that physical advantage in UK I think, Im not sure if he could take that step. Redan has more to his game. Myron Boadu is probably the best out of them three though.
  15. Jul 17, 2017

Yeah Boadu is impressive, no chance of getting him though as he's already in the first team.
  16. Jul 17, 2017

Sammyjunn Full Member

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
    Yeah; he seems to have a good mindset and plans for himself. Rejecting Ajax vividly too.
  17. Jul 17, 2017

The reliable Twitter account Varkenoord Watch confirms that Zirkzee will go to England, which club is not clear but will be announced in the coming days and United is interested. Arsenal is also interested and he also went there on trial last season.
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  18. Jul 17, 2017

StephenH Full Member

U23s should line up something like this on Weds evening.

I think we've a better back four and arguably better options in midfield with Whelan and DJ, but I also think some places will be 'available' in a couple of weeks. I expect CBJ will go, I expect Willock will go and I'd be surprised (as happy as I am he's here now) if Wilson hasn't moved on, as well.

19. Jul 17, 2017

RedMachine03 Poster of Articles

Riley to stay?
  20. Jul 17, 2017

StephenH Full Member

I've not heard either way tbh. But believe he'll play on Weds.
  21. Jul 17, 2017

the unknown one. Full Member

The raven sits ever watchful above my chamber door
    No Varela?

Do you think Gomes and O'Connor will play U23s or U18s this season?
  22. Jul 17, 2017

khoazany Full Member

This is actually a decent lineup if we can replace Redmond with Buffonge.
  23. Jul 17, 2017

Prodigal7 Full Member

Wilson has gone to Walsall on loan.
  24. Jul 17, 2017

WhoDaGOAT Full Member

Eh, Sheffield's one?
  25. Jul 17, 2017

StephenH Full Member

Wrong Wilson.
  26. Jul 17, 2017

StephenH Full Member

feck knows where Varela is!

Yes, I think both will play, but supposedly this is how we're lining up on Weds.
  27. Jul 18, 2017

Prodigal7 Full Member

My mistake. I use newsnows United feed and it got confused, which then confused me.
  28. Jul 19, 2017

barmyarmy Full Member

While our youth team looks fully stacked where as reserve team looks really thin on options. We should be promoting lot of youth players to play for U23 it will help in their development too (that's just my view)
  29. Jul 19, 2017

King Kendrick Full Member

think gomes is all but nailed on to move up to U23, im sure others will be moving up as well.
  30. Jul 19, 2017

StephenH Full Member

Team news for tonight: O'Hara, Riley, Warren, Williams, CBJ, Dearnley, Willock, Redmond, Kehinde, Hamilton, Bohui
  31. Jul 19, 2017

barmyarmy Full Member

Is Gribbin in match day squad mate
  32. Jul 19, 2017

StephenH Full Member

I would assume so - I don't think he's injured
  33. Jul 19, 2017

StephenH Full Member

I'm not sure he is tbh. The word seems to be they wanna go hard for success in the 18s league/FAYC & Youth League. So I don't think there's a certainty of him going anywhere - especially if the 23s aren't gonna be competing.
  34. Jul 19, 2017

top1whoisman Meet the press(conference)

TOSIN KEHINDE HAS A CLEAR GOAL AT UNITED

Manchester United midfielder Tosin Kehinde has set his sights on a regular place in the Under-23 side this season, ahead of the first pre-season friendly at Salford City tonight [Wednesday].

The 19-year-old made nine starts for the Reserves in 2016/17, with a further 12 substitute appearances, and scored once - in the 5-3 defeat to Derby County in February.

Ricky Sbragia takes charge of the team for the first time in the Moor Lane fixture, kick-off 19:30 BST, with a full match report to follow on ManUtd.com.

"It was a bit up and down," Kehinde said of last term. "I didn't start all the games but I was involved a lot. I was involved in the majority of the games so I was happy with that.

"For me, this season, it's just about really securing a place in the starting line-up as often as possible and trying to do my best to progress as a player.

"We did finish on quite a good run of results last year and we're trying to take it into this season. I expect us to do better than last year, especially with the group of players who have come up now from the Under-18s. It gives us a more rounded squad that is better balanced as we were quite short last year.

"Everyone will push each other and raise each other's games during the season and I think it will pay off for us. I'm looking forward to it."

Kehinde has been hard at work during the close season as he bids to impress Sbragia and reach peak fitness in time for the big kick-off.

"It's been tough introduction back into things," he said. "But it will all pay off in the end.

"I did expect it. I tried to do some stuff over the summer just to brace myself for what I thought would be coming but, yeah, it's still quite hard. I would say, even though I did a bit, it was still quite a shock to the system. But I did some work away from the club and here [at the Aon Training Complex] and that's always important.

"I think that it's best you get in as good a shape as you can to get yourself in before you get back. It's always better as, if you haven't done anything, you'd really struggle."

The players are just back from a successful stay in Austria at a pre-season training camp, with preparations for 2017/18 continuing with friendlies against Salford and Oldham Athletic.

"I think it's a good idea," he said of the Obertraun experience. "It's important we're all together as we were trying to a make it a whole Academy trip and it's good for the younger ones to see how hard it is physically."
  35. Jul 19, 2017

RedMachine03 Poster of Articles

Ricky Sbragia says he is honoured to be back at Manchester United as the club's new Under-23 coach.

In his first interview since rejoining the Reds, the Scot discussed his role in depth with MUTV at the team's training camp in Obertraun, Austria.

Sbragia was previously Reserves coach between 2002 and 2005 and has since been with Sunderland, taking interim charge for the 1-0 defeat at Old Trafford when Nemanja Vidic hit a late winner in 2008, Bolton Wanderers and Scotland's national set-up.

"It's been great to come to Austria and meet the squad," he said. "I'm also meeting the Under-18s but am getting familiar with the Under-23s. I know Tommy [Martin] and quite a few of the staff so it's really enjoyable.

"It hasn't been too much hard work adjusting to what they want and I'm really pleased to be here again. The pitches are excellent, the weather has been fantastic and we've had thunderstorms around 5pm and 6pm, which help the pitch to get wet again. The accommodation is good and the players have enjoyed it. There are no distractions but enough to do as well during a bit of downtime.

"We couldn't have come to a better place and it's probably the best place I've been to in all my time in football."

The 61-year-old has built up a wealth of experience within the game and is thankful for the opportunity to coach so many promising talents.

"I've been fortunate," he said. "Very lucky. Obviously I left Manchester United and, looking back, I looked at it as just an opportunity of having a first-team coach's job. I'm from a massive council area in Glasgow and could never have dreamed that. In a sense, it was very sad to leave United but I kept a lot of good friends here. I kept in touch with them and gained a lot of experience along the way.

"International football has been exceptional for me but, if anything, I did miss the everyday involvement and having a squad and unit to work with. It's fantastic to get this opportunity and I thank Nicky [Butt] and John [Murtough], the people at Manchester United, for bringing me back. I don't feel like I've been away.

"I love it. It's a great club. It's always been a great club. I was really honoured to come in 2002 and I'm honoured again to be asked to come in. Not many people get that opportunity. When Nicky spoke to me, there were no thoughts, it was just: 'Okay, fine, yeah.' It was just a matter of time, like everything else.

"The difference now is everything is greater, with more personnel and more players. It's fantastic to be back and it is a great place to work as well."

Watch exclusive interviews with Sbragia, Nicky Butt and Kieran McKenna, plus more insight from the camp in Obertraun, during Academy & Reserves: Season Preview, on MUTV, the MUTV app and mutv.com at 18:30 BST on Friday.
  36. Jul 19, 2017

khoazany Full Member

Highlights:

They look so poor. Should have won 10-0.
  37. Jul 19, 2017

AltiUn likes playing with swords after fantasies

Is Puigimal number 7?
  38. Jul 19, 2017

Šjor Bepo Full Member

david moyes :lol:
  39. Jul 19, 2017

khoazany Full Member

McGhee is number 7. Puigmal is the number 17 who scored the 5th goal.

Look at the video I understand why we did not play Gomes and Barlow. They would take the piss out of that team.
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  40. Jul 19, 2017

barmyarmy Full Member

Thanks mate. Is chong already back in the team. I thought he is out for long time
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2017