MLS 2017 Season

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Paz, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Feb 18, 2017

Paz ex-Goldman Sachs Janitor, Martial hater

2. Feb 18, 2017

limerickcitykid There once was a kid from Toronto...

Guy I played with was drafted by the union. Don't think he has been offered a contract yet son hopefully he is and I get to see an other local in the league.
  3. Feb 18, 2017

MrMarcello Full Member

Will try to see some Atlanta matches this season. Supposedly they are well stocked in talent and some predict they may be as good as Chicago's initial side, though less likely to produce the same results. Stadium looks f'n sweet as well.
  4. Feb 25, 2017

No Toronto FC kit looks ace!

[​IMG]
  5. Feb 25, 2017

Oh that does look nice. Will have to get me one of those. The sleeves remind me of the onyx shirt which unfortunately I never got. Coincidentally I am currently in bed wearing my giovinco shirt from last season.
  6. Feb 27, 2017

We're actually favourites for the MLS Cup this season! :devil:
  7. Feb 27, 2017

mazhar13 Full Member

Who is this player? I wouldn't mind taking a look at him and seeing how he develops. I'm just hoping that Cyle Larin continues on his good progress and gets better.
    I saw that kit at the President's Breakfast, and it looked sweet! I particularly like the silver maple leaf at the bottom-left corner of the shirt. I think I might get myself both the home and away kits this season!
    I'm surprised to see that, honestly. We may have improved the defence with Chris Mavinga, but it is still the same unit as last season, and we're still overly reliant on Zavaleta keeping us solid. Moor has shown that he can't do anything else at the back other than deal with crosses. Our right back situation hasn't improved either. We haven't brought in anyone who can replace Beitashour at the starting lineup, and IIRC, we don't even have a backup right back!

Our recent pre-season game against the Fire saw us concede 3 goals in the first half. Mavinga's at France currently for the birth of his child, and he hasn't had much of a pre-season with us. Zavaleta sat out the last match with illness and is a doubt for our first match. If we go with a back 3, we might play Clement Simonin at RCB. Clement. Simonin. We will need to be really up for it if we want to get a good result in our first match of the season.
  8. Feb 27, 2017

Chris Nanco. Went to the same high school as Cyle Larin. He is quite small, very quick and skillful. Probably the best player at their school when I played them. Anthony Osorio with TFC 2 was on their school team too along with Alex Halis, another youth international. Keven Aleman was at their school too but he never played on the team since he was with the TFC academy at the time.

Seems like Chris Nanco is training with Bethlehem Steel FC, the unions USL team. Hope he impresses there.
  9. Feb 27, 2017

mazhar13 Full Member

I'll be sure to keep a look out for him, though at the age of 22, if he's yet to get a contract with a MLS team, he has a slim chance of making it to the top IMO. Let's hope that he impresses.

I always like seeing Canadians make it in the MLS. I'm hoping that Cyle Larin is the catalyst for more good Canadian footballers coming through (else we'll have to nationalise foreigners like Scott Arfield in order to stand a chance internationally).
  10. Feb 27, 2017

Nanook Full Member

It will be interesting to see how Atlanta do, Almiron, Martinez and Villabla aren't your typical MLS designated players.
  11. Mar 3, 2017

Red Dreams Full Member

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
    Minnesota United....my local team.
    Will be on Fox Sports 1 8.30 pm tonight.

The other United to follow for me.
  12. Mar 3, 2017

Pablo76 Full Member

My work mate was in the same youth team as Nemanja Nikolic, recently signed for Chicago Fire.

Any updates or info about his progress would be appreciated.
  13. Mar 4, 2017

Red Dreams Full Member

Minnesota United @ Portland Timbers in about 15 minutes Fox Sports 1
  14. Mar 4, 2017

rooney1905 Full Member

Any one watching the game live? My home town team is Atlanta but I'm interested to see how Minnesota does as they are brand new to the league this year and they have been fairly quiet in the lead up to this game.
  15. Mar 4, 2017

Red Dreams Full Member

I'm watching.

Our forwards are useless.
    Silly goal to concede too.

And Portland know how to kick players.
  16. Mar 4, 2017

AlecHDR Angry, incoherent heterosexual slob

Hoping Toronto give it another good go this year. Last year's final left a bad taste for me. Such an annoying and frustrating game of football.
  17. Mar 4, 2017

rooney1905 Full Member

Yea the opening goal was soft. Very little attack for Minnesota so far with about 30 minutes left.
  18. Mar 4, 2017

In England now so unfortunately I have to settle on watching streams which with my shit internet lags like mad.

Wtf are our defenders doing on the ball, how many times have they just gave it a way in dangerous areas. Fortunately RSL are rubbish when they get it. We're not much better in attack tbf. Had to put that penalty away. Still think Beitashour is garbage and this formation doesn't really work when it just eliminates all wing play.
  19. Mar 5, 2017

mazhar13 Full Member

Yup, I'm pretty much as annoyed as you were. Our 3-man formation should have been adjusted to a more conventional 4-3-3 so that we could have had more wing play. Beitashour and Morrow aren't good enough to provide any semblance of wing play for us consistently. They really need a winger to support rather than be the sole provider of width.

Hagglund was useless today as the match wore on. We were in need of a more direct player like Ricketts to make runs beyond RSL's defence, yet Vanney decided to play it safe. RSL were there for the taking, yet for some reason, Vanney thought that a point would be a good result.

Honestly, we really need a playmaker in our side as Osorio really struggles in midfield and Bradley's poor at playing the ball out. Either Cheyrou or Vasquez need to start for us along with Bradley. Heck, even if we don't have a playmaker in our team, I'd rather have Delgado in than Osorio as Delgado's more secure in possession and more decisive when in possession.

Vanney needs to go with a 4-3-3 against teams like RSL that are poor going forward. We don't need to be overly defensive against such teams. Hagglund didn't even contribute much defensively from what I observed, and whilst he passed the ball out from the back well on occasions, he was mostly wasteful in possession.
  20. Mar 6, 2017

barros Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Where liberty dwells, there is my country
    Watching Atlanta and they play really good, that martino guy (coach) may win the league this year. They have a sell out with 55000 seats for the first game
  21. Mar 6, 2017

Theafonis In love with @Eboue

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Not a bad loss tbh. Much better than MN United (my home team), basically getting put to the sword (chainsaw?) by the Timbers. Our captain looked like the worst player on the pitch which is not a good sign :nervous::lol:
  22. Mar 11, 2017

mazhar13 Full Member

Looks like Giovinco's suffered a horrible hamstring injury. Onyewu kneed him there, and with the weather being so cold in Chester, Giovinco might have suffered a bad injury here.
  23. Mar 11, 2017

Shit forgot about this and missed the first half. Damn Giovinco is out?
  24. Mar 11, 2017

Loublaze ATLien

Attended the Atlanta United inaugural game at Bobby Dodd stadium last weekend. Amazing atmosphere with 55,000 screaming fans! Can't wait for the Chicago Fire visit. Will be going to that. The team played well too, just need more composure in the final third but the players are still getting used to each other. Greg Garza at Left back was the standout player for Atlanta. I hope they stick to the slick passing style
  25. Mar 11, 2017

simonhch Horrible boss

Supports:
    Urban Combat Preparedness
    What's his name. I live in Chicago.
  26. Mar 11, 2017

mazhar13 Full Member

Yeah, he got a contusion on his hamstring.

Other than that, I can't believe we threw away a lead like that. Honestly, I'm not surprised because we are normally quite poor at defending leads, but you'd think that we would have worked on that during the pre-season.

Also, what's the point of putting Hagglund at right wing back? Why does Vanney have so much faith in him when he doesn't provide anything football-wise? Endoh was growing into the game as well, yet Vanney decides to try and get away with a point rather than go for 3. If we're going to maintain our favourites tag, Vanney needs to stop treating us as if we're perennial underdogs.

What a poor result once again. We had the chance to get 3 points yet came away with 1 because of Vanney being afraid to go for it and because of sloppy possession play in the midfield. To be fair, though, we did get better in the second half, but we really lack the composure needed in the final third to open the defence and score goals.

What this match also showed is that Giovinco cannot play as a striker. Defenders will bully him and shake him off quite easily. Ricketts up front was more effective as he was better at holding up the ball and providing a physical challenge. When Giovinco comes back, Vanney needs to play him as a #10 rather than up front, but we all know that Vanney doesn't see things like this...
  27. Mar 12, 2017

MarylandMUFan Full Member

That was fun to watch. I can't believe they have sold over 30,000 season tickets. Truly amazing.
  28. Mar 12, 2017

Carolina Red Moderator Staff

I'm really wanting to head down to Atl and see them play. It's about time we got an MLS team within easy driving distance. I'm pretty excited myself.
  29. Mar 12, 2017

Loublaze ATLien

The response has been amazing! Atlanta has been waiting for this forever

Where in N. Carolina do you live again? I'm assuming its north. I was just in Asheville. Watched Bayern in Charlotte in preseason.
  30. Mar 12, 2017

South Carolina... Greenville/Spartanburg area.
  31. Mar 12, 2017

barros Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Where liberty dwells, there is my country
    I froze my ass watching the game (was 28 degrees, cold for us and spring time for you guys), Toronto was a better team in the second half and some Union players are high school level, the defense let Toronto run the sides and cross (second half) but Altidore is a mediocre player (I saw him in New York when Beckham played his first game (I think) and I though he was going to be a very good player...wrong), you guys get a good striker who can head a ball and the league its yours. The Italian midget didn't do anything because he was always double marked, I saw better games and maybe because the season just started or maybe because a few days ago was almost 70 degrees and the damn wind coming from the Delaware river the players couldn't do better... I don't know but I was crazy for the game to be over so I could go to my car and crank the heat all the way up.
  32. Mar 12, 2017

mazhar13 Full Member

Man, from what I saw of the fans, those conditions looked horrible. They seemed as bad as the conditions during the MLS Cup Final (I was there that day and, like an idiot, underestimated the weather...).

Regarding Giovinco, he wasn't really double-marked per se. He just didn't get much service during the first half. We tried way too many long balls when the wind was against us, and the pitch was way too poor to play passes on the ground. In general, Gio struggles to play as a striker as he always gets outmuslced by the MLS defenders. In Italy, he was at his best coming towards the ball, receiving it, and then doing something with it. Vanney's playing him completely differently, asking him to play on the shoulder of the defenders then make runs past them. I want to see Giovinco at his best, and for that, I want him to get more touches on the ball. Playing him as a #10 will assure him of that.

You're right regarding our striker situation. Altidore makes way too much use of his body instead of his footballing knowledge, which is why he is so mediocre. When he was on form last season and scoring goals, he was making less use of his body and more use of his skill and movement rather than his big body. That's what he needs to do more often.
  33. Mar 12, 2017

Loublaze ATLien

Ah ok. I have friends in Charleston
  34. Mar 12, 2017

Lovely town once you bypass North Charleston. My brother loves it while I favor Savannah
  35. Mar 12, 2017

pigface Full Member

The atmosphere was really good, especially the section I was in, lower level supporters section. Thankfully I couldn't hear the guy on the bullhorn, but none the less very entertaining. Looking forward to next saturday, bodily they will iron out the first match difficulties; clock
    not starting on time (I mean how bloody hard is that), getting in and out of the stadium was painful at best, concession stands were understaffed and the stewards were non existent. We had kids sitting on the stairsall up and down our section.
  36. Mar 12, 2017

Mark_GrumpyLion Full Member

I'm not watching, but I work for a company that does analysis for the Seattle Sounders and feck me, that green kit is making our job very hard. Luckily they played in their away kit this weekend!
  37. Mar 12, 2017

That is A LOT of snow for a football match
  38. Mar 12, 2017

Nanook Full Member

You can hardly see the ball.

1-0 Atlanta.
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  39. Mar 12, 2017

Yes! :D I've decided to adopt Atlanta as my MLS club since they're the closest one to me.

(Was he offside?)
  40. Mar 12, 2017

2-0 to Atlanta

Miguel Almiron with the goal