MLS 2017 Season

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Paz, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Oct 17, 2017

limerickcitykid There once was a kid from Toronto...

What will we do with our made up rivalry?
  2. Oct 27, 2017

Paz Anthony Martial slept with my girlfriend Scouse Lover

so err anyone watching the playoffs then?!
  3. Oct 27, 2017

Ronaldo's Mum Eh? Ronaldo is shite

fecking Atlanta cost me money.
    Biggest bottlers ever.
  4. Oct 27, 2017

mazhar13 Full Member

I guess we can always forge one with the Revolution. :smirk:
    If the Raptors aren't playing, I've been watching. The Atlanta-Columbus game has been amazing. The Houston-Sporting game, however...man, what a let down.
  5. Oct 27, 2017

adexkola American Arse

Me, and you. Yo momma, and yo cousin too.
    Supports:
    orderly disembarking on planes
    Caught the final hour of the Atlanta Columbus game. In other news, #savethecrew seems to be in full swing on social media. Hoping that it translates into something tangible for the team.
  6. Oct 27, 2017

Delighted! They were getting way too ahead of themselves.
  7. Oct 27, 2017

Vanrouge Full Member

Vancouver–Seattle is gonna be good.
  8. Oct 27, 2017

ValenciasDrilledCrosses Full Member

Fecking heartbreaker last night. Amazing first season though, can't wait for next year
  9. Oct 27, 2017

Don't know if I'll be able to stay up for the match on Monday, too late here. I've missed quite a few matches recently so I don't really want to miss playoff matches too.
  10. Oct 27, 2017

mazhar13 Full Member

Yeah, Atlanta have done very well in their first season and did a great job in getting such talented players in so soon. However, they'll face a big challenge in sustaining not only their performances and quality on the pitch but the interest of their fans. Normally, many teams generate tons of interest in the first season but struggle to sustain that afterwards. If Atlanta can continue pulling in large crowds, they'll be well-suited to establishing themselves in the MLS.

I'll look forward to our matches next season. :devil:
    The semi-finals will be amazing throughout. All 4 matches look tasty, and no team will have it easy. I honestly can't tell which 4 teams will make it to their respective conference finals. After last season, I will not build up too much confidence over our prospects and will enjoy the ride.
  11. Oct 27, 2017

Hansa Full Member

Have watched quite a bit of late-night MLS from across the Atlantic these past couple of years, and while the football is still a bit headless chicken-ish, I'm pretty impressed with some of the atmospheres being created inside the stadiums. It really does feel like there has been a large subculture of long-time football fans thirsty for a local team to support. Bodes well for the future of the sport in North America.

How to improve the quality of the teams, though, that's another matter. I'm not too familiar with how the whole system is set up at youth and childhood level, but I can only guess that it's a bit more geared towards the middle class than elsewhere in the world. The MLS might never get to the level of England/Spain, but the pool of talent should really have been more than large enough to produce a tier 2 league already (Netherlands, Belgium, etc).

Anyways, best of luck to resident fans in the remaining playoffs. Hope this year's final will be a bit less hypothermic. :)
  12. Oct 28, 2017

MrMarcello Full Member

Certainly helps to put the arena/stadium in a good location where it can draw the fans, and being in a dome certainly enhances the crowd noise. The only negative is Atlanta traffic is a mare.

Dallas put its stadium in white suburbia - 30 miles north of Dallas alienating the majority of its potential fanbase. It's a ridiculous drive for anyone coming from Dallas south, Dallas west, Denton, Arlington, and greater Fort Worth areas. Hence the crap attendance figures. It's also hot and humid most of the season in Texas.
  13. Oct 30, 2017

Just realised because of daylight savings the game is actually on at 11 here. Think I'll be a dare devil and stay up for it.
  14. Oct 30, 2017

RedDevilCanuck Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin

Who's watching TFC
  15. Oct 30, 2017

Woooo I am. Although I'm really tired
  16. Oct 31, 2017

mazhar13 Full Member

Me too. I hope this game goes well for us.
  17. Oct 31, 2017

1 - 1. Sloppy penalty to concede. Altidore and Vasquez doing well. Need to get giovinco in the game.
  18. Oct 31, 2017

TinFoil New Member

Red bulls give the ball away in the final third then give away a soft free kick outside their box in the space of about 30 seconds.

Gio scores the free kick. That might be it :(
  19. Oct 31, 2017

Giovinco! Free kick
  20. Oct 31, 2017

2-1 Toronto. Not a good performance but job done. Hopefully all the injuries are not too bad. Almost blew there at the end.
  21. Oct 31, 2017

mazhar13 Full Member

Altidore was horrible in the second half. It seemed as if he became too complacent off of that first-half performance and decided to do too much on his own. He, combined with Vazquez's and Moor's injuries along with NYRB's rising confidence really put us on the back foot. Having said that, we were in total control for the whole match, and even when they had their half-chances, we never really looked like conceding.

Bradley Wright-Phillips was an inconsistent threat if I can say that. There were many moments where he didn't really threaten us whilst our defenders snuffed him out, but he did have some good moments when he isolated our defenders and physically challenged them. Even then, our defence did a great job to nullify him, with Bono coming up with a couple of key saves.

I normally criticise Vanney for his tactics and approach against cohesive, attacking units, but he set us up perfectly. He knew that NYRB overplay and rush their passes when they are forced to try and break down opponents, and he did a good job in setting up our shape and discipline. He knew that Kljestan would drift all around and nullified him by having us keep their shape and force him to try and split us with a pass. That penalty did really help them, and they did become more confident later on whilst we started to lose control, but when Osorio came on, we regained that control and saw the game off well.

Honestly, we should have seen the game off in the first half, but NYRB are a well-spirited side, and to win 2-1 at Harrison, NJ is a big result for us, particularly since Moor and Vazquez suffered knocks.
  22. Oct 31, 2017

Giovinco is better than some of these premier league players.

Insane he's playing for us.
  23. Oct 31, 2017

mazhar13 Full Member

Ehh.....yeah, you're right, he is. The only drawback to him is that he has really poor balance and can easily be shrugged off, which is why he didn't make it at Juve, ultimately, even though he had great loan spells and a promising start in the Serie A.

It's insane that player like him is with us, but to be fair, he's the highest-earning player in the MLS (he earns more than 80,000 GBP p/w). He was never going to earn that in the Serie A, and I doubt a Premier League club would really get him due to his aforementioned weaknesses.

That doesn't take away from the fact that I'm super-stoked at his time here. He stayed with us when he could have easily left like Defoe did.
  24. Oct 31, 2017

Kind of like Mkhitaryan :lol:
  25. Oct 31, 2017

mazhar13 Full Member

Yeah, but Giovinco is a better dribbler and does have closer control of the ball even though he does get sloppy on occasion.
  26. Oct 31, 2017

poleglass red Full Member

Good game, I actually travelled down for it. We had decent numbers for a Monday night game. Was good to see us coping with injuries. I thought all 3 subs looked good when they came on. I thought Hagglund was outstanding, so much so I'd play him in home leg even if Moor is passed fit. Giovinco didn't look great, seemed to be half step off the pace. I thought their keeper gifted us 2 goals, I thought the penalty call was tough on us, but Moor has a history of this of late. We were a bit sloppy at time but some of our passing moves were excellent. Their goal knocked the stuffing out of us for 15 or so mins start of 2nd half, before we got back into it after that. We could have been 2 or 3 up at half. Will be at game on Sunday, I am expecting us to score 2 or 3. NYRB will have to come at us and we'll pick them off on counter. Really hope Vasquez is okay, he's so important to us.
  27. Nov 1, 2017

dorchy New Member

I just finished my first MLS game and chose the playoff between Columbus and NYC. The quality of football on display was atrocious, I would rank it league 2 stuff in England. I had been hearing about the rise of MLS and the strides forward it has been making for anyone that saw the game was this match an anomaly?
  28. Nov 1, 2017

TinFoil New Member

NYCFC got battered by Columbus.

Love watching the city group teams get smashed.
  29. Nov 5, 2017

Second leg for TFC today - come on boys, let’s finish this! :keano:
  30. Nov 5, 2017

That was a particularly poor game tbh
  31. Nov 5, 2017

TFC! Get to watch the whole match today. Fell asleep at half time last match. Was hoping to have a bigger lead with how many chances we had first half.
  32. Nov 5, 2017

Loublaze ATLien

Im afraid you don't know Atlanta sir. We're not going anywhere
  33. Nov 5, 2017

Loublaze ATLien

Atlanta United play some of the best football in the league, high press with intricate passing and linkup play, blazing fast forwards and fullbacks. Real Salt lake also play some good stuff. Wait til next season
  34. Nov 5, 2017

mazhar13 Full Member

If that's the case, then excellent! I hope you guys go on and become an established top MLS club.
  35. Nov 5, 2017

mazhar13 Full Member

Is anyone else going to the BMO Field other than me and @poleglass red? I'd be happy to meet up with everyone at some point before the match in Liberty Village.
  36. Nov 5, 2017

ValenciasDrilledCrosses Full Member

Another ATLien! Do you have season tickets? If so where do you sit?
  37. Nov 5, 2017

Altidore you fecking idiot.
  38. Nov 5, 2017

I'm curious how the club has such a big fanbase so quickly?
    Could you shed some light?
  39. Nov 5, 2017

joke!
  40. Nov 5, 2017

Only looks like a matter of time until they score again.