Modric criminal case

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Ban, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Jun 13, 2017

Ban Full Member

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/06/modric-appears-star-witness-croatia-graft-trial/

Today Luka Modric testified in a corruption trial against Dinamo Zagreb (although he now acts only as an 'advisor') and de facto boss of Croatian football, Zdravko Mamic.

He withdraw money from his transfers and by giving the money to Mamic and his family helped them embezzle money from the club.

He acted as a key witness for the state and in 2015 gave a statement to the prosecutor about the whole thing.

As expected today he changed the tune about some things and said he doesn't remember some of the dates of the annexes of the contracts signed.

I'm writing all this so you can be aware that Luka, one of the best players in the world, has a dark side. And he's hated by many here, cause he helped Mamic in his criminal acts by which he destroyed Dinamo for which few people care now and nobody knows the amounts of money laundering which he made. Dinamo is my local club but this club isn't the club I'm a fan of, it's a toy of the Mamics which they stole from our fans and ordinary people.
    Today he protected Mamic and I hope his career will be remembered for it forever and ever, at least here.

Problem is, most of the people are sheep and they don't see anything wrong in that, they want to talk only about football and they even say it's just a trap for Luka and Mamic, by the people in the state which don't like them or Croatia in general. Which of course it bollocks. But human stupidity is one thing which won't ever disappear.

Tomorrow is Lovren's time for witnessing, he did the same stuff as Modrić.

Anyways to make things short, Modrić is a crook.
  2. Jun 13, 2017

Keeps It tidy Hates Messi

I thought he was running into tax issues too when I saw this thread title.
  3. Jun 13, 2017

Ramshock The spacegoats did it

Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
    What the feck is wrong with these people?
  4. Jun 13, 2017

Ban Full Member

He has that too. But this is bigger, a lot.
  5. Jun 13, 2017

Varun Moderator

Are you saying he did it because he's profiting monetarily in some way from this? My first instinct was self preservation, he wouldn't have wanted to get into trouble with this Manic dude.
  6. Jun 13, 2017

Barbara Charles For the love of pickled beets

I had no idea this was going on. Don't blame you for being upset.
  7. Jun 13, 2017

BeforeKeanetherewasRobson Full Member

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
    Wait til our resident Barca fans see this.... They'll be all over it like a rash!
  8. Jun 13, 2017

Ban Full Member

He had some profit but basically it was not to get on the wrong side of Mamic yeah. That guy has ties in the courts, police, politics, everyhwere.
    Best part is Luka said he didn't read the contracts he was signing (!!) and he didn't read the statement he made to the prosecutor but nevertheless he signed it just to get out of their office. Mental..
  9. Jun 13, 2017

Keeps It tidy Hates Messi

I have only know about Dinamo Zagreb's academy did not know about all this other stuff.
  10. Jun 13, 2017

Vato Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?

Supports:
    Real Madrid
  11. Jun 13, 2017

VorZakone What would Kenny G do?

But would you classify Modric as a crook because of this? Seems like a necessary evil he had to participate in.
  12. Jun 13, 2017

Varun Moderator

How can you know this is the reason then and still call modric a crook? Its a classic case of a guy not wanting to get into shit with a dangerous man.
  13. Jun 13, 2017

Carolina Red Full Member

Yeah, that makes it sound more victim of circumstance/blackmail than willing participant
  14. Jun 13, 2017

SwansonsTache incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover

So is it a prerequisite to be criminal if you play for RM or Barca?
  15. Jun 13, 2017

Spiersey Chelsea fan

I thought it was pretty well known the owner was crooked. He owns Lokomotiv Zagreb too and they have fixed every single game against Dinamo in their history (bar one when Dinamo didn't need points)
  16. Jun 13, 2017

Edgar Allan Pillow Was AFC, likes them hypoallergenic - no feathers

Maybe his frustration stems from the fact Modric's fame and popularity would enable him to oppose Mamic more than any ordinary citizen.

But then still, we don't know the entire dynamics and Modric may have considered the downside too risky and may not be in blame.
  17. Jun 13, 2017

cyberman Full Member

isnt this post a little risky for The Caf?
  18. Jun 13, 2017

Ban Full Member

He is a crook, he got into shit with a dangerous man, ok. But today he lied about everything he previously said to the prosecutor. So he's protecting the guy. And as I said he's basically a participant in the whole thing.
  19. Jun 13, 2017

noodlehair "It's like..."

Modric is high profile enough and has enough money that he doesn't have to worry about "not getting into trouble with the wrong guy" at this point, so I don't see that as an excuse...although crook seems a bit over the top too.

Coward would seem about right, based on the information on offer.
  20. Jun 13, 2017

Ban Full Member

Yeah, Lokomotiva is basically Dinamo B team. They loan players to Dinamo and Dinamo send players to Lokomotiva on monthly bases without any law on it. The same stadium, same email contacts and similar.
  21. Jun 13, 2017

Ban Full Member

You're right, no excuses even tho Mamic is so powerful.

Maybe he's not a crook but as you said he willingly got into business with the guy, not only that, he hasn't stepped back today on any of it.
  22. Jun 13, 2017

RC89 Full Member

Not necessarily, if the guys is really that connected, he could go after Modric's friends, family, girlfriends family etc without the media catching on too much without Modric blabbing.
  23. Jun 13, 2017

Ban Full Member

Eduardo as a kid practically signed some contracts by which he was obliged to give about 20 percent of every salary to Mamic (usurious contracts). Later, when he realized what he signed when he was a kid and didn't know Croatian nor he read the contracts, he took Mamic to court and won, got those contracts to be cancelled.

Modric not only didn't try to fight this but lied on everything he said to the prosecutor.
  24. Jun 13, 2017

RC89 Full Member

You're not making any sense, he signed for the club so of course he will be involved with him. And he may have lied out of fear again. Im not going to pretend I know anything about this, but you call him a crook and then say he did it because he was scared of the guy... Seems like it was all done under duress from your evidence. And your rebuttal is weak. Couple of posters have offered genuine questions which you've failed to offer an appropriate rebuttal too and your conclusion remains the same. Childish so far
  25. Jun 13, 2017

Ban Full Member

What didn't I answer exactly?

Maybe he's scared but maybe he's just protecting him cause he thinks of him as a second father. Which wouldn't be surprising cause his wife worked in the club, he bought him a flat, a car when he was young and so on. We don't know if it was done under duress.
    Anyway he could get into trouble cause he changed the statement cause he was a state witness.

It's not the problem if he's involved with him. The problem is he helped him with money laundering and practically taking the money which was meant for the club.

I'm just stating the facts, if that's childish ok.
  26. Jun 13, 2017

Acole9 Outstanding

He should be standing trial for his haircut.
  27. Jun 13, 2017

RC89 Full Member

With regards to if he's doing it due to blackmail etc. You even admit that it's to do with the power of the man and yet see him as a crook. I'm not saying he isn't but all your evidence suggests so far that he might have been worried about his/his family's safety. It's very possible you're right but you seem to have jumped to a lot of conclusions despite your evidences suggesting their may have been mitigating factors to his involvement.

Can I ask what it is that makes you assume he's protecting him and not just scared of him? What specifically.
  28. Jun 13, 2017

Vato Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?

Supports:
    Real Madrid
    :lol: Yep, definitely a bigger crime.
  29. Jun 13, 2017

KN5 Full Member

Tax issue for you, tax issue for you! Tax issues for everyone!!!
  30. Jun 13, 2017

Ban Full Member

As @noodlehair said he has a high enough profile not to worry about Mamic anymore. He's playing for Real f Madrid.

And as I mentioned Eduardo won a court case against Mamic. Some young Dinamo players basically ran away from him and his dubious contracts. Many of the NT players are in his manager agency (although officially his son is in charge of it, who is under investigation too BTW), and the ones who are not don't get many chances to play for the country however good they are. Not all of course, like Perisic and Rakitic but it would be too obvious not to call them.
    If you play for dinamo and you're his player you will be call for NT definitely.
    The worst what could happen if Luka hasn't stepped back on his previous statement would be Mamic and his cronies in the media calling him the worst possible names and smearing the guts of him. Or that he won't be called for the nt. Of course it's too much to expect from Luka and most of the players who are aware of the situation in our football to think about the damage which is being done and us , ordinary fans for whom the NT was something special and sacred. Up until recently.
  31. Jun 13, 2017

FCBarca Mes que un Rag

Supports:
    Peace
    I like Modric, I hope it isn't true but Mamic being a sinister cancer to Dinamo & Croatia is not news. I also wonder what sort of punitive forces Modric or loved ones are under from various angles - Balkan wars alone were a lesson that when lines are crossed, nothing is sacred
  32. Jun 13, 2017

Jim Beam Full Member

:lol:
  33. Jun 14, 2017

Jim Beam Full Member

Read the article this morning. The biggest problem is that he changed the testimony he gave before, during the investigation. It's a criminal offence but it is impossible to prove it as he said "he got confused" during the investigation, or "doesn't remember" so clearly. These are the typical type of answers when you change your testimony to not face consequences so he was also instructed what parts he will say and what will he exclude.

To be honest, I didn't expect anything different as most other witnesses will go the same route. Mamic is still pretty influential so most people that know him are afraid. Modric, though, is too big of a name to be scared by this and he still choose the easy way. I think part of the reason may be also that Mamic did help him in his early career and invested in him, so he didn't want to bury him.

However, biggest criminal in football terms in Croatia, will because of such things probably walk free. Whatever the reason may be, Modric definitely did tarnish some of his legacy with it, talking in national terms, and the atmosphere around the national team will be even more toxic now because of that (attempt to sabotage match during last Euro against Czech Republic). Worldwide, people probably won't pay much attention.
  34. Jun 14, 2017

noodlehair "It's like..."

Nah. Corruption only goes so far and that'd be too easy to tie from one person to another.

If he didn't want to be in that situation he shouldn't have made the testimony in the first place. It makes no sense to do so unless he's either incredibly thick or was only did it to get something for himself in the first place.

At best he's a coward. Crook might be correct but there's not enough info available to say that with any certainty.
  35. Jun 14, 2017

Kostur Full Member

I remember Mali_Zeus's account of what the feck is going on in the Croatian league, some shady shit, quite saddening to hear that Modric partakes in all this stuff.
  36. Jun 14, 2017

donkeyfish Full Member

I now understand why he feels at home at RM
  37. Jun 14, 2017

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87 New Member

Supports:
    Arsenal
    Heard many bad things about this Mamic guy. He sounds to be a real crook.
  38. Jun 14, 2017

Ban Full Member

It's depressing as hell mate. I lost my local club, the club I've been a fan of since I was 6. Hell I was a Dinamo fan even before I started watching football. It was the one of the first words I heard at school.

I lost my national team too. The NT always had a special place in my heart, the same as with many people here. Now I don't really care how they do. Soon I won't even watch their games. I said their instead of our on purpose..

Kudos to @Jim Beam for writing a great post on the subject.
  39. Jun 14, 2017

whatwha Where's my diarrhea damnit

Why would Modric be involved in something like this? He has made more than enough money for a long time now.
  40. Jun 14, 2017

Ban Full Member

Today Lovren was supposed to give a statement as a witness but didn't get a chance. Mamic wasn't satisfied with the questions being asked by the prosecutor to Lovren's dad (also witness as well as Lovren's mum) and first got into argument with the judge and then with his own lawyers. He gave them the sack in the courtroom and told them not to come anymore...

Here's a video, it's in Croatian obviously but just to get the feeling what kind of man he is. And what kind of a sissy boy the judge is. It's not the first time Mamic yelled and made a scene but every time the judge gives him a last warning. There has been about 10 'last warnings' already.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was all an act so he can save some time. Maybe he was aware Lovren won't have such a good testimony as Modrić yesterday..

It all got cancelled in the end and Lovren will come to the stand in September....

http://dnevnik.hr/vijesti/hrvatska/...-klupi-za-svjedoke-dejan-lovren---479827.html