Modric vs Scholes - Better Player?

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Eddy_JukeZ, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Jul 10, 2018

Eddy_JukeZ Full Member

Since it's been constantly mentioned in the Modric thread, I thought we might as well have a dedicated thread to it.

Mods: If you can set up a poll, that'd be great.

I think Scholes' longevity is clearly higher and I think it's valuable that he's excelled as both a trequartista(when he played behind Ruud in 2002-2003) and after his eye injury, excelling as a regista metronome from deeper during the 2006-2008 period.

I think Modric's peak is higher. His 2013-2014 season when he was Real's 2nd best player during their La Decima run is arguably the finest season a midfielder had since Xavi.

A simplistic comparison: Modric is more press-resistant than Scholes, because he is more nimble and has better mobility when pivoting/turning in close spaces. He's also a better 'carrier' of the ball than Scholes and a better dribbler. A better tackler than Scholes too. I think Scholes' range is passing is clearly superior, though their short passing comparatively is close. Scholes' shooting is much better and he was better in the air.

All in all, it's very close. What say the cafe?
  2. Jul 10, 2018

Tomuś Nani is crap, I tell you!

Scholes. Close as feck, though.
  3. Jul 10, 2018

Fridge chutney Full Member

Scholes. But I'm biased.
  4. Jul 10, 2018

Borden Full Member

Scholes.
  5. Jul 10, 2018

Vidic_In_Moscow Full Member

Supports:
    i stink
    Not signing Modric from Spurs was the biggest non-transfer disappointment of my lifetime. If I remember it was at a time when everything about our team was pretty good except the creative midfield part, i.e. Cleverley, Gibson & PS coming back from retirement.. God he would have completed us.
  6. Jul 10, 2018

Dante Bang Average but can post Blindfolded for 15 secs

Supports:
    United!
    Scholes, hands down.
  7. Jul 10, 2018

Eddy_JukeZ Full Member

Don't think Levy had any interest in doing business with us after Berbatov
  8. Jul 10, 2018

LennonNL nipple flasher and door destroyer

Time will tell. Scholes was incredible for another 2/3 years on top of Modric’s age now (32) but by the looks of it Modric isn’t showing any signs of slowing down.

It’s very close but I’d have to go with Scholes.
  9. Jul 10, 2018

cyberman Full Member

Scholes. He had lot more going forward plus his period of 10/12 years of elite level performances sets him apart.
  10. Jul 10, 2018

el3mel Full Member

Scholes even if I'm biased I will still take him over any other midfielder. Modric is still one of the top 10 CMs I have seen in my life though.
  11. Jul 10, 2018

Kazi Full Member

Scholes is (slightly) better. Modric is greater.

Can’t be bothered to define better/greater but you guys should know by now.
  12. Jul 10, 2018

hellohello Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Modric, but I'm biased too!

Both fantastic though.
  13. Jul 10, 2018

Vidic_In_Moscow Full Member

Supports:
    i stink
    What's the story there, did we piss him off or something during that? I know he's notoriously difficult to deal with but thought it was nothing more than that.
  14. Jul 10, 2018

Grinner Fat gutted, hairy shouldered, stinky Arse. Staff

Supports:
    Arsenal
    Both were penalty bottlers.
  15. Jul 10, 2018

bosnian_red Worst scout to ever exist

Modric is more complete, Scholes a higher peak and more polished in his best aspects. Both probably equally consistent. Hard to say and overall you could argue either way. Modric has 4 CL titles to his name, and that all came with him being the best midfielder in the world during that time and being the 2nd most important player to Madrid after Ronaldo (probably level with Marcelo for the last few). Feel like it's impossible to separate. Both 2 of my all time favourite players too. Love watching both.

Always wish we signed him from Spurs. Remember he almost signed for Chelsea then Spurs didnt want to let him go and he didnt play for a bit because he wanted the move. Worked out for him going to Madrid in the end, but he wouldve completed us in the late Fergie era. Probably wouldve even made Van Gaal decent here having his quality in midfield. And if theres one midfielder who could complete us in midfield now, itd be him.
  16. Jul 10, 2018

Eddy_JukeZ Full Member

17. Jul 10, 2018

stevoc Full Member

Maybe but in his book SAF said he and Gill had enough of Levy after the Berbatov negotiations and decided they wouldn't bother with Spurs players anymore.
  18. Jul 10, 2018

Keeps It tidy Hates Messi

Until this year I would have said Scholes.
  19. Jul 10, 2018

edcunited1878 Full Member

Given that Scholes is the smaller player and has asthma and then an eye issue, yet he's achieved all that he has all while playing multiple positions in central midfield...I'd have to give it to Scholes as the better player. The way he evolved as a player and his fearless attitude was immense.

Luka is a fantastic player and having to choose between Scholes or Modric is a win-win, no loser in either choice.
  20. Jul 10, 2018

tomaldinho1 Full Member

Scholes

He was criminally underrated, then had a renaissance after he retired where people actually realised he was a completely unique and brilliant player. His legacy is added to when you understand the tragedy of how poorly managed he was by the national team/how highly regarded he was outside of the PL.
  21. Jul 10, 2018

Eddy_JukeZ Full Member

Yeah that article I linked above, it seems to go both ways.

I think Levy definitely wouldn't have sold us Modric though if we came in for him.

He refused to sell him to Chelsea in 2011.

Would have always preferred to sell him abroad.
  22. Jul 10, 2018

Ekeke Full Member

Scholes

Had productivity whilst still being the controlling passer in the team
  23. Jul 10, 2018

Yagami Full Member

Scholes all day everyday.
  24. Jul 10, 2018

Vilev Banned

That would be to close to call.

Sorry but that's like a total BS. "Clearly higher"?Modric is almost 33 and just won CL and is playing in WC semis. He is not even close to deteriorating. His level is top notch right now. You can easily see him maintaining it for at least 3 years, then with international retirement and playing less like Paul has done in his final years here, it possible for Modric to be at Real at 37-38 if he chooses. So there is actually zero evidence to say that Modric's longevity will be any lower, since his career is still very much on.
    One thing is absolutely for sure. Modric actually had longer career on international stage. Paul left England when he barely turned 30. Modric may well even play after this WC.
  25. Jul 10, 2018

shamans Hoser

I don't know who is better but one thing for sure, Scholes had much better passing. I don't like how people compare Luka's passing at the same level. They are probably the same level.
  26. Jul 10, 2018

TheReligion Abusive

Scholes. Easily
  27. Jul 10, 2018

Sterling Archer Full Member

Sigh. Same here. Modric is overcoming my United bias for Scholes. That surely says a lot about how good he is. I'll just say they're equal...until Croatia wins the WC
  28. Jul 10, 2018

TheReligion Abusive

Scholes is the better goalscorer and better in the air.

Essentially Scholes could do everything Modric can AND more.
  29. Jul 10, 2018

goober88 New Member

Scholes was ginger and a midget: debate me.
  30. Jul 10, 2018

MikeKing Full Member

Supports:
    Bournemouth
    This is very easy to me. Longevity in one position then Modric is the pick, but peak level and allround starpower then Scholes is beaten by very very few. Even if Modric has been consistent enough to prove himself as world-class since he left Spurs, i don't think he has ever been the absolute best in his area. Not at one particular thing, even though he has held a very high level in almost all the midfield related qualities.
  31. Jul 10, 2018

TheReligion Abusive

Modric is a midget with a big nose and girly hair.
  32. Jul 10, 2018

matherto ask me about our 50% off sale!

Much as we love Scholes he was never the absolute best. Close, but not quite.

In a much less contested area (compared to the 90/00s), Modric has been the absolute best for the last few years.

Really hard to say. I don't think I appreciated Scholes' earlier years as much as maybe I need to because I was a kid growing up. Only truly appreciated his brilliance in 06-08ish whereas I've seen Modric get better and better over time and been able to watch him at his absolute best and he's glorious.
  33. Jul 10, 2018

Eddy_JukeZ Full Member

Scholes was a top player for 10+ years.

Modric hasn't been(he may be). Don't see how it's total BS.

I didn't say Modric would detoriate. Perhaps he continues to excel. Just at this moment in time, Scholes has better longevity.
  34. Jul 10, 2018

Striker10 "Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football

Scholes by a ways. I mean we could have played him as a number 10 and who knows how many goals he would have ended up with. People use certain things like playing in this team or that team - but if you take Xavi out say or Modric out say and put Scholes in? I don't think his game would crumble. There's a reason Barcelona used Scholes as a model and I think with England, they never got the balance right and with United - sometimes we shot ourselves in the foot (in Europe) or had been officiating. I think people downplay our lads but in the late 90's we could go to Barcelona etc and play them. Our quality has dipped because of bad decisions and a lack of ambition AND these nutty rich owners...but Scholes...is underrated

As an example - yes Modric was important to Madrids recent record in Europe...er but I think having Ronaldo etc etc helps a bit....It's a shame Scholes and Keane were banned from 99 final because in the group games, our performances were much better against Munich and in 99 we beat some pretty good teams with pretty important players. We can talk about longativity all you like, but Modrid in a number 10 would never get the goals Scholes got. Scholes evolved three times. He could ghost in the box. He could spread play and maintain possession. He could dictate play and behind the striker, he showed his quality.

Put him in any team and they would not be a lesser team. That simple. His mentality was top drawer.
  35. Jul 10, 2018

Giant Midget Aka - rooney_10119

He's been at Madrid for 6 seasons and won the CL in 4 of them, so he's clearly been doing it for a while. He was also really good at Spurs, which won him the move in the first place. I'd say he's been performing at a high level for about 7-8 years.
  36. Jul 10, 2018

Vilev Banned

That is simply because Scholes is much older and already retired. As i've said Modric already had more longevity for national team. There is no way to know when Modric will retire from high-level club football.
  37. Jul 10, 2018

Eddy_JukeZ Full Member

Well of course, but it's not a given that all retired players have better longevity than current players.

Re: Scholes' lack of longevitity with the national team, that lies on the NT itself who wasted Scholes' national career imo. Wouldn't put that against Scholes.
  38. Jul 10, 2018

Eddy_JukeZ Full Member

I don't disagree.

Perhaps when he retires, his longevity equals or surpasses Scholes'
  39. Jul 10, 2018

jungledrums Full Member

I agree Scholes was the slightly better player, but Modric was more ‘complete’. Scholes could not tackle/dribble like Modric, so I’d contest the notion that Scholes could ‘do everything and more’.
  40. Jul 10, 2018

Vilev Banned

It's a fact still. Paul did not play in his 30s and this allowed him to prolong his club career, while Modric is playing at WC at 32-33.
    It's just wrong to compare it for situation like Modric's. You can compare it to Rooney or Ibra since they both are done as top players in top leagues, so almost retired. Or to a player who shows clean signs that age takes a toll. But Modric is not playing any differently than 3 years ago. Like at all. So basically there is not even a sense on how long his longevity could be. Maybe he will actually surpass Scholes. So to say that it is definitely or clearly point in Paul's favor is simply wrong.