Modric vs Schweinsteiger

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Edgar Allan Pillow, Dec 3, 2018.

?

At their respective peak, who was the better player?

This poll will close on Jan 23, 2019 at 10:47.
  1. Luka Modrić

50.9%
  2. Bastian Schweinsteiger

49.1%
  1. Dec 4, 2018

Rood nostradamus like gloater Scout

I probably would have agreed with that until this last WC where Modric really was the driving force that took Croatia to the final
  2. Dec 4, 2018

Rifer Full Member

Schweinsteiger by far, the best version of him is more complete all-rounder, versatile, leader and match winner. Engine of the team. Germany misses him the most.

Ballon d'Or, the recent ones is suspiciously political bs.

That said,
    Modric is also fantastic, but there are clear lacking aspects to his game in comparison. For one, he needs other midfielders to help control and hold the midfield with Real, Spurs and Crotia, whereas Schweini can hold the midfield on his own while his midfield partners go wild attacking (most obvious with Germany with their gung-ho attacks). Technically more flair I suppose.
  3. Dec 4, 2018

Jev Full Member

What's wrong with the vote? I'm seeing only two votes, that can't be right?

Went for Modric but it's actually a very, very close call.
  4. Dec 4, 2018

Rifer Full Member

Poll is recently added. :D Going to spike with upcoming votes.

Voted Schweini.
  5. Dec 4, 2018

Treble Full Member

How was Schweini the driving force for Germany when there were plenty of top players for them and Neuer was the man who competed for Ballon d'Or while Schweini didn't even make the top 15. Germany had many excellent performers from Neuer and Lahm through Ozil to Klose and Muller.
  6. Dec 4, 2018

Don Alfredo Full Member

Supports:
    Germany
    I used to think Modric is the better player, now I'm not sure.

What I can say is that many German armchair experts (including myself:angel:) have underrated Schweinsteiger for years. This comes from the fact that he didn't win a big title before 2013, or let me say his generation of extremely talented Germany / Bayern players weren't winning the title and he was the face of both sides for many people.

If you lose a CL final with Bayern or fail at the last hurdle at the World Cup / Euros, you are a loser in Germany, whereas in Croatia you get called a national hero just for getting there. Different expectations and all that, despite Croatia not being a one-man-show, but a side full of quality players.

Will have to think about it some more.
  7. Dec 4, 2018

hasanejaz88 Full Member

Supports:
    Germany
    Because Schweinsteiger was always underrated, I recently saw that he was lower than Yaya Toure in the Balon D'or voting in every year except when he won the UCL (not even when he won the World Cup!). Does that mean Yaya Toure was the better midfielder? No.

Germany was a great team, as was Bayern, but no one can doubt that Schweinsteiger was the MOTM for the World Cup final where he put on an inspired performance. Real were also a team with many great players, one of them considered to be one of THE greatest ever, so how can Modric be considered a driving force behind Madrid's 4 UCL's then?

Balon D'or voting is a popularity contest. Ask any German fan and they'l tell you Schweinsteiger was the heart and soul of that team.
  8. Dec 4, 2018

diarm Full Member

It's very, very tight.

Modric edges Bastian on technique and creativity while the German moves ahead on physicality and influence. They are both big game players capable of taking control of a game and driving their side to victory. I have them just about level.

Schweinsteiger edges it by virtue of never having played for Spurs.
  9. Dec 4, 2018

youmeletsfly New Member

The Ballon D'or is a PR stunt mate. You can't compare two players by the amount of BDO's they won.

Did Paul Scholes/Lampard/Gerrard win any BDO? How would you compare them with Schweini/Modric?
  10. Dec 4, 2018

UncleBob Full Member

:lol:
  11. Dec 4, 2018

kouroux 45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

I'm going for Bastian. When he transitioned to a CM I had big doubts but the man was fantastic at his best. I love Modric, it's very close but I had to choose
  12. Dec 4, 2018

Treble Full Member

I'm not saying Ballon d'Or is an objective measure but it indicates how the contributions of a given player were perceived at that time. Neuer and Lahm were generally perceived as way more deserving than Schweini. And righly so in my book.
  13. Dec 4, 2018

Invictus Best Poster 2015 Staff

Supports:
    Piracy on the High Seas
    [​IMG]

That being said, there's not much between them and I'd place both (as well as Pirlo) in a similar tier below Xavi. Wouldn't hesitate to categorize all of them among the Top 25 central midfielders of all time — with Xavi leading the charge for the generation and ranked in the Top 3-4 range.
  14. Dec 4, 2018

Ecstatic Full Member

Supports:
    PsG
    Personal preference for Schweini
  15. Dec 4, 2018

OutlawGER Full Member

Supports:
    Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
    To be honest, i get that Modric gets all the praise for Croatias success this summer as he is the captain and by far biggest star. However i have seen every game of Croatia and i think there was not a single game where i have seen a one-man-show nor him carrying the team on his own. He played well in a well playing team.

The sentence "he took his small nation all the way...." just doesn't edge it for me. Croatia has many quality players. And even Modric was not that outstanding. But people try to find a reason for Croatias success, and he is the easiest reason to find i guess.
  16. Dec 4, 2018

Tommy bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Also, with all due respect to Croatia themselves, just like England, they didn't beat anyone they wouldn't have been expect to beat (except perhaps Argentina in the groups). Their knockout games were against Denmark, Russia, and England, and they were favoured beforehand for all matches (although you can argue that a game versus the hosts is a bit different).

That said, I can't pick between the two of em in regards to who is better, but I think I'd rather have Modric in my team all the same.
  17. Dec 4, 2018

trailertrash New Member

Supports:
    Bayern Munich
    Both in a same team would be amazing. Modric is a great ballcarrier and has a lot of flair, but Basti was an engine as stated previously.

If I had to pick, I’d pick Schweinsteiger though, that passing and shooting ability is what makes a great midfielder for me. Modric doesn’t have the same ability to play diagonals and long balls. He is well off in shooting too, even though he is not bad, but doesn’t use it as much as he could.
    When I think about it, they are pretty different and it’s not very fair to compare them. Modric’s more of an 8(10 for Croatia) and Basti played as a 6.

Both absolute monsters anyway.
  18. Dec 4, 2018

Jev Full Member

I think you can argue he wasn't even Croatia's best player. Thought he was below his normal standard. Big star in small team syndrome, although Croatia aren't exactly the minnows people are making them out to be. They have plenty of good players.

I still voted Modric btw but it's undeniably very close.
  19. Dec 4, 2018

OutlawGER Full Member

Supports:

:lol: made my day
  20. Dec 4, 2018

Raees Legal Guardian of the Football forums

Of course, but you take Modric out of that side and they become a nothing team IMO and would have zero chance of getting anywhere near a world cup final. He was the heartbeat of that team and made those around him much better by virtue of his ability to control a game.

Schweini could do that too in his prime, but I think Modric is the greater 'play-maker'.
  21. Dec 4, 2018

Scarecrow Having a week off

I didn't think about any of this when answering the question. I don't care about your team, I'm talking about players.
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  22. Dec 4, 2018

Powderfinger Full Member

Supports:
    Arsenal
    Schweinsteiger edges it in terms of peak performance for me, but Modric was an excellent player for longer and therefore had the better overall career. Due to his positional move, an adjustment period, and then his later injuries, Schweini really only had 3-4 seasons as a truly top level CM whereas Modric had 7-8.
  23. Dec 4, 2018

OutlawGER Full Member

Supports:
    Neuer and Lahm are 2 all time greats on their positions. Maybe top 3 RB and GK of all time. We can't say that for Modric nor Schweini as a CM (much more competition). But still, as someone mentioned, Bastian was the heart and soul of both Germany and Bayern. And those were probably the greatest Bayern and Germany sides of all time. I think only 1974 with the likes of Gerd Müller, Beckenbauer etc. can compare, but even they were not as sucessful.

What i want to say is: Neuer and Lahm beeing rated higher on their respective positions shouldn't take away anything at all from Schweinsteiger. Also we all know that those Balon D'or and any other individual awards are just popularity contests (mostly for offensive players with flair and reputation). If it wasn't, Phillip Lahm surely should have some awards in his pocket.

But especially those players, with boring names, mostly the homegrown players from Germany, England, maybe even Italy and sometimes Spain, which are not too flashy, will always be underrated by the public eye.

Be a gangster, color your hair, do some tricks while playing decent, and you will be worth more than 100m€ and be considered one of the GOATs. (Pogba, anyone?).
  24. Dec 4, 2018

Synco Full Member

Yes, Modric really seems to be a freak of nature in that regard. Perhaps a bit like Robben, who lost a yard of pace in his 30s, but will be a quick & agile player until he retires.
  25. Dec 4, 2018

BlackShark_80 Full Member

maybe only at Bayern and Germany
  26. Dec 4, 2018

Revaulx Full Member

Schweinsteiger. He played for us :drool:

Ok he was a big disappointment, but I don’t remember him being as bad as people on here seemed to think. The OT crowd certainly loved him, as evidenced by the reaction to his goal in the Cup.
  27. Dec 4, 2018

Black Adder Full Member

We weren't favorites against England, there wasn't betting place in the world that would get you positive odds on Croatia before the match. England was seen as more complete and stronger team and bookies alongside with reporters went with that. Agree with Denmark observation, we were favorites against them, and Russia as well, since it was a tricky fixture them being hosts but still you have to show on the pitch why were you considered favorite and we did. Against England everyone expected us to go out, but we all know that didn't happen so being favorites doesn't always work, otherwise there would be France-England final and us against Belgium for third place (which again would put Belgium as favorites since we were placed as bottom of 4 teams in semi-final when talking about eventual winners with France being strong favorite).

But on the topic of the thread, Bastian had higher peak and was monstrous one man midfield on his day, while Luka has longer period of being at the top since he has had less injuries than Bastian IMO.
  28. Dec 4, 2018

Treble Full Member

This is just a metaphor that refers to something intangible and thus not measurable in any meaningful way. I'm not denying the existence of intangible qualities and influences but opinion and reality might quite diverge when it comes to them.

Rooney was often regarded as the heartbeat of United. It was just an attempt from his fans to present him as the most important United player when Ronaldo was still here. Which he obviously wasn't as Ronaldo was on a different level.
  29. Dec 4, 2018

Robbie Boy Full Member

Modric.
  30. Dec 4, 2018

Supports:
    Liverpool
    I don't know... I had Croatia winning, as did most of the people I know. Not sure what the general consensus on the Caf was, but I can't imagine it being far from a coinflip in either direction. Whatever the case, it was close.
  31. Dec 4, 2018

Black Adder Full Member

Google bookie odds before the match, there wasn't single betting place that had us as favorites. Not to mention all the "it's coming home" punditry and everything.
  32. Dec 4, 2018

Trizy Full Member

I think Modric wins this hands down. Modric for me is better than Iniesta, too.
  33. Dec 4, 2018

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Fair play. Perhaps the "It's Coming Home" nonsense just led to me wanting Croatia could win :D

Damn, that's a pretty bold statement... Who do you have above Modric if he's handily better than Bastian & better than Iniesta?
  34. Dec 4, 2018

Minimalist Full Member

Prefer BFS myself.
  35. Dec 4, 2018

Sir Scott McToMinay Full Member

You can’t be serious.
  36. Dec 4, 2018

Isotope Full Member

Kane took England to last Semi Final. If Mandzukic didn't score that goal, England might be in the Final. Modric failed that penalty that brought his team to 2x15 min. extra time. His penalty shot out was weak also if I remember. Then his team was trashed out in the Final, while he had an average game. I think even Hazard had better WC than him.

Now the Modric vs Schwei, I think the peak Schwei is better, but Modric has way more longevity at top level.
  37. Dec 4, 2018

Ban Full Member

That Modić wasn't our best player in the wc has to stop. Without him Croatia is half a team. People going to great strengths to diss him.
    Also I've seen someone saying he needs other players to control the midfield which is wrong of course. He controls the midfield for others not the other way around.
  38. Dec 4, 2018

Raees Legal Guardian of the Football forums

I think you’re getting way too much into specifics. Modric is a midfielder and of course it should be expected that someone like Mandzukic is responsible for getting key goals at that level... How many goals did Xavi or the likes of Didi score in semis or finals, but their influence on a game was nevertheless felt and I find it very hard to believe anyone can watch a Croatia game and not notice Modric pulling the strings even when the side isn’t playing well. He has far more influence than a Rakitic.

His penalty was poor - agreed but didn’t Schweinsteiger miss some key penalties in CL? Hazard was excellent at World Cup but you can’t compare the rest of his season or his influence on the European game in recent years to Modric - doesn’t come close.

I would probably agree with your final statement - but I wouldn’t bregrudge anyone who thought the opposite and I do think Modric needs to be more readily accepted as one of the all time great midfielders of the game.
  39. Dec 4, 2018

Fortitude TV/Monitor Expert Scout

You're actually just showing you have a stylistic preference/bias.
  40. Dec 4, 2018

tomaldinho1 Full Member

BFS just edges it for me, feel like he's close enough to Modric technically and then slightly superior everywhere else that's a no brainer. Although is like choosing between a 95 and 92 player on FIFA so both top level.