1. We are delighted to have been nominated for Best Forum in The Football Blogging Awards. You can vote for us on their website here and via twitter here. You can read the caf thread here. Thanks to anyone who votes for us.
    Dismiss Notice

Monchi | Leaves AS Roma

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by VanGaalEra, May 30, 2016.

1. Mar 8, 2019

Mcking Full Member

Eric Abidal.
  2. Mar 8, 2019

crossy1686 Full Member

Meh, all this attention DoF's get these days is bonkers. Fergie did it on his own with his scouting staff, no reason why Solskjaer can't do the same seeing as everyone is apparently in agreement with what a United player should look like now.

A DoF just complicates things more than it has to, example, what if the DoF wants to sign a player but the manager doesn't want them? Who's the boss? The DoF or the manager? What if they fall out? Who goes first? Does this mean the manager doesn't have a say in transfers? If so, how much of a say?

It works for other clubs obviously and I was all for it under previous management as there seemed to be a detachment between what the manager wanted and what the board wanted. Since Solskjaer's come in I'd rather just give him free-reign and sign some quality scouts from the likes of South America, Scandinavia, Eastern Europe and Southern Europe. Let's get those up and coming players while they're kids instead of having a DoF shopping in the bargain bin.
  3. Mar 8, 2019

Brophs The one and only

Interesting, given the suggestion that they won’t have much money to spend this summer, that after all their talk about how the stadium would help them to compete with and overpower rivals financially, Arsenal have ended up back at the sort of model Sevilla used, whereby they will try to pick up players before they’ve broken. Incredibly difficult to succeed with that in the PL, I suspect.
  4. Mar 8, 2019

crossy1686 Full Member

The worlds a lot smaller than it used to be, there's no longer untapped talent in foreign leagues like there used to be. Everyone gets a Youtube montage now after 5 good games.
  5. Mar 8, 2019

reddevil702 Full Member

We don't need someone who is great at finding bargains, we need someone like Txiki Begiristain. Someone who identifies a need a fills it with not only the best available but the best fit for the squad and vision of the club.
  6. Mar 8, 2019

Ban Full Member

Roma fans are celebrating.
  7. Mar 8, 2019

mu4c_20le Full Member

From what ive read, Monchi is a great DoF. Roma fans are fickle and will most likely regret this in the near future.
  8. Mar 8, 2019

Ban Full Member

Not really. Some of the deals he made were abysmal if not the most.
  9. Mar 8, 2019

mu4c_20le Full Member

Under, Zaniolo, Pellegrini and Kluivert are gems. Could have done better with his most expensive signings, N'Zonzi and Pastore, but he has an eye for young talent.
  10. Mar 8, 2019

Irish Jet Banned

Supports:
    Anyone but Rashford
    I see him being criticised for selling Nainggolan when it's looking more and more like it was a masterstroke given they got Zaniola out of the deal.
  11. Mar 8, 2019

Casanova85 New Member

Supports:
    FC Barcelona, Manchester Utd
    Roma is such an unstable club.

This guy "discovered" many players that would eventually sign for Barça or Madrid.
  12. Mar 8, 2019

GBBQ Full Member

So basically Monchi, who many touted as ideal for United, didn’t work out well for Roma signings wise and didn’t provide a bridge between old and new manager. But we’re convinced a DoF is the answer to all our problems.
  13. Mar 8, 2019

Nick7 Full Member

Basically let's judge a job position that's filled at many clubs and works for many of them by one person at one club. Yeah that's perfectly sound logic.
  14. Mar 8, 2019

crossy1686 Full Member

That was probably the best deal he did to be fair. He was originally part of their academy but left for a division 2 team to get first team football before Inter picked him up. They never wanted to lose him in the first place but couldn't give him first team football when he was 17. Inter were also extremely reluctant to let him go.

Regarding a DoF though, what we don't need is a DoF that doesn't know the league or what type of players United are expected to sign/go for. At the moment, I honestly don't feel a DoF is even necessary, just expand our scouting network and put some trust in Solskjær instead.
  15. Mar 8, 2019

Irish Jet Banned

Supports:
    Anyone but Rashford
    I just don't even get the outrage over losing Nainggolan either. I mean he's been pretty awful for Inter, will be 31 this year and lives a lifestyle not very suited to playing into your 30's. To me it just looks like a great long term move for Roma and yet another disastrous one for Inter.

I think we definitely need a DOF before the Summer. If Ed's still calling the shots in the transfer window say hello to Project Bale.
  16. Mar 8, 2019

GBBQ Full Member

Did I say it doesn’t work at other clubs? Just pointing out it’s not necessarily a wave of a magic wand and everything is right in the world.
  17. Mar 8, 2019

::sonny:: Full Member

Salah
  18. Mar 15, 2019

JohnnyKills Full Member

Supports:
    United
    According to Marca Sevilla have offered him the chance to come back and he hasn't said no. Although they add that Arsenal are also really interested.
  19. Mar 15, 2019

United_We_Stand Full Member

20. Mar 17, 2019

United_We_Stand Full Member

21. Mar 17, 2019

Nick7 Full Member

Arsenal :lol: "one hell of a u-turn"
  22. Mar 17, 2019

Brophs The one and only

I hear Sven Mislintat is available...
  23. Mar 17, 2019

B20 HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME

Supports:
    Liverpool
    What was arsenal's pitch?

"we'd want you to help us find out how far our ambition can take us without spending any money"