Monster Hunter World

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Piratesoup, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Jan 27, 2018

Piratesoup Full Member

Supports:
    Bayern München
    I've always wanted to pick up Monster Hunter and now that it's hit the PS4 I got it. So far it's every bit as awesome as I had hoped.

Any other Monster Hunters on here? Wouldn't mind slaying a big ol' dino or two in multiplayer at some point. PS4-Handle is hurtelknut. :)
  2. Jan 27, 2018

GaryLifo Nice Bloke

I'm tempted to buy this but then I remember the list of games I need to finish and think better of it.

Looks great though.
  3. Jan 27, 2018

Welsh Wonder A dribbling mess on the sauce

I'm waiting for the PC version, it looks amazing.
  4. Jan 27, 2018

amolbhatia50k Sneaky bum time

This looks very interesting. How different is it from Dark Souls though? I still have Bloodborne to get through after DS3. I feel something like Injustice might compliment the Souls better than this one, for now.
  5. Jan 27, 2018

jungledrums Full Member

Looks fecking amazing. I’ll add you if I pick it up!
  6. Jan 27, 2018

I've got so many interesting games to play (and buy before playing of course).

Nier Automata
    Persona 5
    Injustice 2
    The new wolfenstein
    The last guardian
    Nioh
    The new assassins creed (if I can being myself to)
    This
  7. Jan 28, 2018

ArmandTamzarian Full Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Yes this is me. Just finished Assassin's Creed Origins (which is brilliant BTW) and I have Persona 5 to play next, but god damn I'm so tempted to just get this now it looks fantastic! But I have to hold off as P5 seems like it'll be a long game so would rather play that next than buy a new game. I might just buy it now so I have it for after.
  8. Jan 29, 2018

Kaos Full Member

I was going to do the same until I realised it's probably going to have a smaller community and I don't really trust a studio that has never done a PC port before. It looks fantastic on PS4 pro so I buckled :)
  9. Jan 29, 2018

This looks pretty amazing.
  10. Jan 29, 2018

Woodzy Full Member

How does it run on standard PS4?
  11. Jan 29, 2018

Kaos Full Member

Apparently its a bit janky, with fps dropping to the teens in busy environments, otherwise hovering around 20-25. On the pro it sits comfortably around 40-50 on performance mode.

It depends on you though, if you're a PC gamer accustomed to high FPS, then it'll probably be very noticeable. Otherwise it's probably playable enough for the average console gamer.
  12. Jan 29, 2018

Woodzy Full Member

In that case I may be better off waiting for PC. Although it's going to be a long way off :(

Edit: Ordered. My cat has more fecking willpower than me.
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  13. Jan 29, 2018

Massive Spanner Thinks Geoff Shreeves has one

:lol: there was a 7 minute gap between the post and your edit.
  14. Jan 29, 2018

Woodzy Full Member

I check hotukdeals straight after I posted and saw I could get a fiver off at Tesco and my autopilot kicked in :lol:
  15. Jan 29, 2018

Marcelinho87 Full Member

Might get this but unsure as to which platform... PC would look best but how would the community be on the xbox?
  16. Jan 29, 2018

Kaos Full Member

Lol, if it's any consolation I buckled too. Was adamant I was going to wait for the PC version but buckled. No regrets though, runs very smooth on PS4 pros performance mode.
  17. Jan 29, 2018

Kaos Full Member

To be honest it's hard to gauge how good the PC version would actually be at this point. Sure it'll probably be the choice for performance but from what I hear Capcom has a shoddy track record with PC ports. Not to mention this studio has no experience with porting to PC so it doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.

If you can be patient enough to wait for up to a year then I suggest you do so. I was in a similar predicament until I realised the community was going to be more active on PS4 anyway (without the hackers on PC) so I just buckled. No regrets so far.

The Xbox one community is expected to be smaller but you shouldn't have any problems finding people to play with, at least in the first few months. There are some current match making issues on Xbox with the game but you'd expect them to prioritise a timely fix for that.
  18. Feb 1, 2018

TheSamulator classic sam. they love me, tbh

Have to say, i’m enjoying this immensely. I mean, I have no idea what i’m doing or how anything really works but damn is it fun fighting these monster boys.
  19. Feb 1, 2018

Ramshock CAF Pilib De Brún Translator

Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
    looks shite
  20. Feb 1, 2018

afrocentricity Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Who's this type of game for?

Is it grindy? Couch co-op? Intense/chilled? I have no idea.... I'm intrigued tho.
  21. Feb 1, 2018

Fuzzy cutsy dark souls from what I can make out.
  22. Feb 1, 2018

Hard like Dark Souls or methodical?
  23. Feb 2, 2018

Peanut Butter Banned

Yeah it looks boring to me. But I love dark souls so am I in?!
  24. Feb 2, 2018

Piratesoup Full Member

Supports:
    Bayern München
    It's everything I hoped it would be. Tons of fun!
  25. Feb 3, 2018

GaryLifo Nice Bloke

Okay, so I cracked last night and paid £50 for this on PSN.

Only played about 2 hours but it's definitely my kind of game. Just wish I was able to put in an all day session once in a while. With a four year old in the house though... Not gonna happen.
  26. Feb 4, 2018

Piratesoup Full Member

Supports:
    Bayern München
    What's your PSN-Handle? Let's hunt!
  27. Feb 4, 2018

GaryLifo Nice Bloke

Exactly the same as my caf username.

My biggest problem is not having enough time to play
  28. Feb 5, 2018

Stormsurfer21 Full Member

I decided to buy it as well. Ordered MHW last night. Beginner’s tips are always welcome as I’m completely new to the series. Hopefully I’ll be able to put enough time into the game.

Feel free to add me on PSN if you want to hunt together: stormsurfer21
  29. Feb 6, 2018

Kaos Full Member

This is amazing. If you're a Souls fan I highly recommend, you'll feel right at home. Just solo'd a big arse fire-breathing T-rex by stun locking it with my big feck off hammer. :drool:

If anyone's on PS4 hit me up - Kaos_MS.
  30. Feb 6, 2018

Kaos Full Member

Think destiny with dark souls lite combat. Very grindy since the emphasis is on killing monsters to salvage their parts for loot, so you can build better armour and weapons to fight even more challenging monsters. That's pretty much the loop. Unlike destiny however there's no leveling so you pretty much rely on your gear and skill.

Like destiny you cant do local coop unfortunately but there's a big focus on online coop. No PvP either if that's your thing.
  31. Feb 6, 2018

Kaos Full Member

Start off with a beginner friendly weapon like the sword and shield or long sword, their combos are usually easier and their mobility is more forgiving. Avoid the more technical weapons like the charge blade or hunting horn until you're more comfortable with the core mechanics. There's a training area so I recommend you spend time there to get a feel for your main combos and it also won't hurt to watch specific weapon guides on YouTube.

Also upgrade your armour and weapon as much as you can and always remember to eat for buffs before heading out.

Everything else you'll pick up as you play along. Add me on PSN (Kaos_MS) if you wanna do a hunt together.
  32. Feb 6, 2018

Thanks
  33. Feb 6, 2018

Stormsurfer21 Full Member

Much appreciated, will add you. My copy arrives Thursday. Can't wait to get my hands on what looks to be a massive and wonderful game!
  34. Feb 7, 2018

No idea but I'm guessing the latter. I'm doubting it's as hard as DS which I love too btw.

It looks good to me. I've read that the combat is clunky but fun once you get to grips with the nature of it. So if that's sorted a game of exploration and monster hunting sounds like my cup of tea.
  35. Feb 7, 2018

Andersons Dietician Full Member

Supports:
    Supports good football
    I’ve committed, downloaded it for 49.99. Just waiting for it to finish. Time to embrace the grind.
  36. Feb 10, 2018

Supports:
    Supports good football
    Hmmmm so after giving it a decent go last night it’s a bit Arcady in its controls, and monster fights seem to just lend themselves to button bashing. I used the katana and there are 3 basic combos in the tutorials and two of them are hit the same button 4 times However the absolute worst thing is that it takes about 46 minutes of stupid cut scenes, and tutorials before you get in to any sort of action.
    I’ve not played that far through but the hunting seems very very basic and Withcher and Farcry primal hunting aspects are far better than this which considering it’s called Monster Hunter you would think they could do a better job.
    Hopefully the game expands more and becomes more of a game where you have to use your brain as right now, green flies lead you to monster, hit monster, monster run away, follow flies again, hit monster, runs away, follow flies, hit monster and repeat for about 10-20 minutes until it falls over.
  37. Feb 10, 2018

AllezLesDiables Full Member

It gets much more complex as you continue. The “boss” mechanics become much more difficult and sometimes certain weapon choices are more difficult than others.

That being said it’s not for everyone.
  38. Feb 10, 2018

Supports:
    Supports good football
    Yeah, I’ve played a lot more today and everything was going fine just grinding monsters then I have to go and take out that Apusomething. (The T-Rex that breathes fire and has wings occasionally.) the thing slapped the turd out of me. Thought I was closing in on the kill some dude showed up to help after I launched a flair(woooooooo) and as I retreated to take a potion thinking I’m clear I took a slap to the back wiping me out.

I’m enjoying it more now, controls are a bit clunky mind but the more you learn about the animals and the research the better it gets. Still wish there was more to the hunting aspect.
  39. Feb 10, 2018

AllezLesDiables Full Member

Yeah, Anjurath is the first step and he’s the most difficult in the first two areas.

Agreed that ththe controls are clunky but it’s done on purpose to add to thinking and planing to avoid button mashing.

There’s more as you go. Crafting is important plus there are other planing aspects. Mostly you figure out what you need to kill to get the parts that you need for improving gear and weapons.
  40. Feb 10, 2018

Supports:
    Supports good football
    Yeah I’m pretty sure I need to kill him to get the next part of my Bone Katana up with an element to it. I’ve been hoarding stuff for armour basically but I might need to bite the bullet and craft more specific and stronger parts. Was hoping to get away with what I had a bit longer.
    Going to go after that Anjurath later on. However the game is slowly winning me over even with some of the faults I mentioned.