More than a game : the impossible Treble

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by phelans shorts, May 26, 2010.

1. May 26, 2010

phelans shorts Full Member

The year: 1999. The date: 26th May. The location: Camp Nou, Barcelona, Spain. The game: FC Bayern München vs Manchester United. The competition: The UEFA Champions League Final. The context: Both sides trying to accomplish a feat that had never been accomplished before in the new European format: the impossible treble of domestic league, domestic cup and European cup.

[​IMG]

Domestically, Manchester United, under the leadership of Alex Ferguson, won the League title by a mere point over Arsenal. The victory was confirmed in a dramatic last day game against Tottenham Hotspur. 2-1 was the final score after Les Ferdinand had given Tottenham the lead; goals by David Beckham and Andy Cole (himself a half time substitute), in the first and second half respectively, secured the title in-front of the Old Trafford faithful.

Domestically, but in Germany, Bayern had a much easier run of things, romping home with the league title with an outstanding fifteen points difference under the stewardship of Ottmar Hitzfeld despite having none of the top 6 scorers in the league, and showing how all of the team popping up with goals is so vital.

In their respective domestic cup finals, Manchester United faced Newcastle United in front of a packed Wembley. A 2-0 victory, following goals from Paul Scholes and Teddy Sheringham, was recorded despite having several players rested ahead of the approaching European face-off.

Bayern, however, ended up disappointed following the previous European cup final, as in Germany the cup final was played after the European one, and lost to Werder Bremen 5-4 on penalties following a tight 1-1 in regular time.

Onto each sides European run, Manchester United had disposed of Internazionale Milan and Juventus, with the match in Turin being most notable by a sublime performance by Manchester United's captain and inspirational leader Roy Keane. Unfortunately for Manchester United, both Keane and central midfield partner Paul Scholes picked up bookings to rule them out of the final, which could have been catastrophic for the English club.

Bayern, on the other hand, faced national rivals Kaiserslauten and high scoring Ukrainians Dinamo Kyiv, and picked up no bans to rule out key players from the final, giving the Germans what would appear to be an advantage going into this show-piece event.

The Final

The teams lined up with vastly differing styles. Manchester United lined up with their usual 4-4-2 despite only naming one first team central midfielder in Nicky Butt, who was partnered by right wing maestro David Beckham, while the Welsh wing Wizard Ryan Giggs, usually on the left, was moved into Beckhams position to be replaced on his usual side by Swede Jesper Blomqvist.

Bayern lined up a sturdy 5-2-3, a line-up which amazingly contained 10 German starters, and 15 altogether in the matchday squad. Their English counterparts, on the other hand, had 9 locals in the matchday squad.

[​IMG]

The game began in quite a nervy fashion, until Bayern won a freekick on the edge of the Mancunians' area. Mario Basler calmly slotted into Peter Schmeichel's goal after just 5 minutes had been played.

The rest of the game was far from even, with Bayern peppering the United goal time and time again. With both Basler and Jancker hitting the woodwork, this game appeared to be over when the score still read 1-0 after 90 minutes. What happened next was one of the most surreal and unique occurences in modern football. So unique, in fact, that the UEFA president Lennart Johansson missed it (but that will be mentioned later).

When the fourth official put up his board announcing: "3 minutes of added time", the Germans were tasting victory. However, there was some defending to do as Manchester United refused to lie down, pushing men forward for a Gary Neville throw-in, which eventually ended up with Neville himself putting in a left footed cross which Samuel Kuffour knocking it behind for a corner.

At this point came one of the famous quotes from the ITV coverage of the game.

From this corner the huge goalkeeper Peter Schmeichel went forward, hoping to score his second European goal in his time at United. Beckham's corner was launched in towards the big goalkeeper, who was unable to reach the ball, which then bounced upto Dwight Yorke, who, trying to find a team-mate, misheaded it straight to Thorsten Fink, who mishit his clearance to the edge of the area, with the ball landing at Ryan Giggs right foot (you understand that, Ryan Giggs' right foot! His bloody right foot!), which (fortunately) mishit the ball, originally attempted to go towards goal (we think), heading agonisingly close to Teddy Sheringham, who did something pretty close to hitting the ball that was enough, as it was seen striking the back of Oliver Kahn's net, leading to another world famous quote from this huge moment.

However, not even with this announcement could he have known what was going to happen next. The whole of the watching world was already awaiting extra time with baited breath.

Once the game kicked off again Manchester United won the ball back and played a long ball up field to Ole Gunnar Solskjær, who upon recieving the ball ran towards the German's byline, where he won another corner.

This time Manchester United were playing it defensive according to Tyldesley commentating partner ex-United boss Ron Atkinson, as Schmeichel had not gone forward. This time, the corner taken by Beckham went straight in towards Teddy Sheringham, who proceeded to get a head on the ball, but his header was not enough for the ball to go in, it hung for what could have been an eternity before coming down in front of Ole Gunnar Solskjær, who smashed the ball into the roof of the net, with the most famous quote of the night being used, again by Tyldesley.

[​IMG]

The match was then restarted. However, some of the German players couldn't get up. Yes, such was there exhaustion, shock, and disbelief. The referee that day, none other than Italian supremo Pierluigi Collina, had to drag several to their feet.

[​IMG]

Collina later said it was one of the most exhillerating matches of his exceptional career, largely due to what he described as a "lions roar" at the final whistle.

As mentioned earlier, the UEFA president missed the amazing scenes in added time, since at the end of the ninety minutes he left his box with the trophy, which had already been embossed with the Germans ribbons and ready for the presentation. However, by the time he got pitchside, he looked on in amazement as it appeared to him that the winners were crying and the losers dancing, imagine the confusion he must have felt before the amazement at what he had just missed!

And here it is, that fateful day.

2. May 26, 2010

Xander45 Know-It-All Champion May 2009

Good article, but it was Sheringham who scored in the FA Cup final not Cole.

You know there is one thing i've always wondered. Keane was subbed off injured in the FA Cup final, for Sheringham, and even if he wasn't suspended would he have been able to play?
  3. May 26, 2010

niMic Curvy gay

I'm not exactly a big Coldplay fan, but this video does it for me every time...

4. May 26, 2010

Sylar Full Member

One of the best feelings ever as a fan. It was great cos even when it went 90 minutes I was so sure we would equalise. To win it though was just amazing.
  5. May 26, 2010

Chorley1974 Lady Ole

Cole scored in the last league game against spuds.
  6. May 26, 2010

eric le roi Full Member

I can still remember it vividly. I was watching it on TV at home with a few friends - some United fans, some not. One Spurs fan.

As the clock ticked over to 90:00 it was 0-1 and I dejectedly went to the fridge to grab another beer to start drowning the sorrows.
    The next 3 minutes are a bit of a blur but I just remember two things - one of my United mates holding another non-United mate over his head (literally) and dancing round; and looking over to my Spurs mate who was staring at me in disbelief.

After the match we all piled out to a pub in Ladbroke Grove (where I was living at the time) - it was like England had won the World Cup. Bus driver hooting their horns, people dancing in the street, the lot. feck knows what it must have been like in Manchester!
  7. May 26, 2010

He also scored against West Ham that season, not sure what that's got to do with the FA Cup final though.
  8. May 26, 2010

Talking Vulture He's shit, move on.

11 years ago. fecking hell fire.

It was baking hot in Barcelona that week too. What an amazing end to the season. 3 games, 3 trophies at stake.

And Xander - the thing about Keane getting injured. He would have missed the EC Final with the injury he sustained but would he have played in the FA Cup final had he been available for the EC Final?

He probably would have but would he have been charging around or would he have eased off a bit? I dunno
  9. May 26, 2010

Yeah it's all ifs and buts, at the end of the day who cares quite frankly. We still won anyway.
  10. May 26, 2010

Sylar Full Member

Yep. We won it all and thats all that mattered.
  11. May 26, 2010

Yeah I know but I would have liked to see Keane play in that final because he deserved to.
  12. May 27, 2010

MUFC07 Full Member

Just so you know, it looks even better now, phelans. :)
  13. May 27, 2010

holdsteady Hates Sir Alex Ferguson

It's amazing how one game can bring a smile and chills every single time it's re-watched.

Beauty.
  14. May 27, 2010

air_mood Full Member

It was Scholl who hit the post, not Basler.

And Basler did not calmly slot the free kick, it was deflected.
  15. May 27, 2010

Jayvin Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Watch the replay again, there was NO deflection.
  16. May 27, 2010

air_mood Full Member

Eh??
  17. May 27, 2010

Jayvin Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Mario Basler's free kick was not deflected, it went straight in.

Simple enough for you?
  18. May 27, 2010

air_mood Full Member

Well plenty of opinions say it is thought ain't it?? That's the way I see it. Looks deflected to me.
  19. May 27, 2010

Ixion Full Member

It wasn't deflected, theres a very clear replay angle that shows it goes straight in.
  20. May 27, 2010

air_mood Full Member

Guess I'll have to look that up then. So far the one I've seen are the one's that looks like it's deflected by Teddy.
  21. May 27, 2010

Rowem gently, down the stream

0:36

Straight in.
  22. May 27, 2010

Rowem gently, down the stream

He wasn't on the pitch! :lol:
  23. May 27, 2010

fecking hell. Get yourself off to specsavers, you silly twat :D

No deflection, no Sheringham on the pitch.
  24. May 27, 2010

air_mood Full Member

Crap, wrong player.

Definitely wasn't Teddy. Teddy only came one in the 2nd half.

Still, the angle of video that I kept looking at is the one that looks like it was deflected by one of our player. I have a compilation video of our treble season in my phone actually. The angle of the free kick on the video I have looks like it's deflected.

Will look at that video 36 seconds in when I get back from work. Can't access youtube from the office.
  25. May 27, 2010

:lol: I love how people think it was deflected just cause Clive says so. Schmeichel really should have done better with it in honesty.
  26. May 27, 2010

air_mood Full Member

Well, if you read Basler's comment before the Bayern game this season, he said he saw that Schmeichel was moving to the right hence he aimed for Schmeichel's left. Schmeichel was probably wrong footed.
  27. May 27, 2010

ruddevil Full Member

It wasn't deflected. It just went straight in. I was tuning to another set of commentators. Never mentioned it being deflected. Schmikes just didn't see where the ball was going; his view was blocked by the wall.
  28. May 27, 2010

Sylar Full Member

Schmikes did the stupid thing I hate about keepers who set up a wall then go behind it.

And yes I agree with holdsteady. I get goosebumps every time I see this. Just to see Teddy equalise and to top it off, Ole wins it is just amazing.
  29. May 27, 2010

ERICSAGOD Grumpy Old Git

Spot on - I still get those chills every time I watch this. :drool:
  30. May 27, 2010

phelans shorts Full Member

Yeah I made a few changes to changes, it was to late to show you again by then though :lol:
  31. May 27, 2010

Ixion Full Member

I think Schmeichel got caught in the same way in the match against Barca in the group stage with a Rivaldo freekick, same end/goal as well. Clive Tyldesley might have called that one deflected as well actually!
  32. May 28, 2010

Bearded but no genius Full Member

Deary me.
  33. May 28, 2010

Bearded but no genius Full Member

That rings a bell.