Morgan Schneiderlin | Everton Player

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by prath92, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Aug 25, 2017

Oldyella Full Member

A shame it never worked out for us. I thought he was the ideal signing when we bought him, but he just didnt have the mentality to make it work, seemed to go further and further into his shell.
  2. Aug 25, 2017

Jib Full Member

Kante isn't a starter with the french NT. If Schneiderlin was that good, he would be starter because we need a DM.
  3. Aug 25, 2017

stevoc Full Member

He asked to leave according to Mourinho, thats why he wasn't selected from late october onwards last season.
  4. Aug 25, 2017

Akshay Moderator

Think he'll be a useful player for Everton this season, but he's not good enough for a big club. Herrera and Henderson are both much better.
  5. Aug 25, 2017

rollingstoned1 Full Member

I remember how delighted I was when we signed him. At the time I thought he would be a very important signing for us and was gutted it didn't work out. A Herrera_Schneiderlin midfield on paper at least looked very good.
  6. Aug 25, 2017

shield Full Member

Van Gaal's tenure was tough on some people. He could be the reason why Schneiderlin underperformed here. But still, in his 1 and half year with us, I found it hard to understand what Schneiderlin does, how exactly he plays or what he brings to our team. He was quite poor positionally, his passing was average and he did not even win tackles that much. I just was left feeling that he is a mediocre talent who can perform well in a certain setup.
    With Depay, for example, I could atleast see him try to do something and fail. Never really understood what Schneiderlin was doing and sometimes I even forgot he was on the pitch. Even with Everton, I would only realise he was playing when the the footage zoomed in to show certain match incidents.

Maybe I am being a little harsh, but I feel this signing, along with the Schweinsteiger signing, was a major failure for us in the transfer market. Think these signings put us back a year or two in our progress. All our midfielders have been able to do something, even Cleverly (won't say Fellaini because, I think he has been actually pretty good for us), but we could get nothing out of Schneiderlin.
  7. Aug 25, 2017

Sunny Jim Full Member

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
    Two years ago I would have shared this view but the Matic transfer made me realize something. I came up to the conclusion that there are leading players and supporting players. Matic, Pogba, Mikihtarian are all leading players. They take responsibility, they try to do things on their own. Herrera, Schneiderlin are supporting players. They will make themselves available for the pass but when things get hard they will try to find that leading player around them.

You actually need both but you also need a balance in the team. I think United of late were full of supporting players, we had to few leading players. Don't get me wrong- I'm not talking about quality, im talking about approach to the game.

I hope you get the difference.
  8. Aug 25, 2017

VorZakone What would Kenny G do?

I'd never describe Mkhitaryan as a leading player tbh.
  9. Aug 25, 2017

sunama Baghdad Bob

So true.
    When Matic played his first game for us, it was clear what he brought to the table.
    Morgan S, after 1 whole season, the only thing I knew about his role in our team was "silent domination". This was according to his fans. And I don't even know what that means!
    Everton is the right level for him and I can see he is getting regular game time, so it's good for him.
  10. Aug 25, 2017

Sky1981 Fending off the urge

It's harsh on ms.

I dont think even van gaal knows what he wants to play.
  11. Aug 25, 2017

I get it but he was that and more at Southampton and anyone who had seen him play for them would've said that we were getting a player at least as good as Matic so the excitement before the move was understandable. I guess whether or not someone steps up is a matter of the environment they are in, it was evident that Morgan wasn't such a player. I personally think herrera is a leader so doesn't belong to this category.
  12. Aug 25, 2017

Howzit_Bru New Member

Last I checked we won our first major trophy post SAF under him. So not all bad.
  13. Aug 26, 2017

TwoSheds More sheds than you, probably

At least as good as Matic? I definitely saw Schneiderlin play for Southampton and at best I was quietly hopeful based on the fact our coach and scouts obviously thought he was decent. At that point we'd been so short of a DM for so long that I figured he could only be an improvement. I was wrong. He became even more average while he was with us, I assume because his confidence was knocked, and turned out he wasn't actually a DM. Not was he the AM his fans claimed. He's just a bit Liam Millery.
  14. Aug 26, 2017

limerickcitykid There once was a kid from Toronto...

Not a single fan of him claimed he was an AM. He was also superb at Southampton and consistently dominated midfields.
  15. Aug 26, 2017

Apparently he was some kind of dominant goalscoring midfielder a la Yaya. Meh.
  16. Aug 26, 2017

limerickcitykid There once was a kid from Toronto...

According to who? I'd be really interested in seeing these opinions as that isn't even close. I was one of his biggest supporters and don't remember anyone ever calling him an AM or goalscoring midfielder like Yaya as it is pretty easy to look and see he isn't.
  17. Aug 26, 2017

Kapardin Full Member

His problem is he is not defensive minded enough to be a DM and not forward thinking enough to be an AM. All he can do is run from box to box making tackles and interceptions, winning the ball and passing it sideways or backwards.

You can tell he played in the lower leagues. One of our worst signings, though I can't fault his attitude, seems a decent chap.
  18. Aug 26, 2017

He was pretty darn good for Soton, the reaction on here when we signed him should tell you what most of this board thought then too. He was the sort of player arsenal could have really used and quite a few of them were gutted we got him instead. Many players had underperformed under lvg, it may not mean as much as we think.
  19. Aug 26, 2017

He looked a good midtable player at Southampton. Which is what he is. But he was still quite young and i figured he had potential for more. I was wrong.
  20. Aug 26, 2017

Giant Midget Aka - rooney_10119

Have no idea why LVG signed. Schneiderlin's biggest strength was the ability to press and and win the ball all over the pitch. However, LVG was quite rigid in his tactics and would not allow players to leave a predefined zone in the pitch.

Moreover, Schneiderin's passing is nothing to right home about, but LVG was all about keeping possession. Absolutely not the right player for his style. He was a much better fit tactically for Jose, but seems like Jose didn't think he was good enough.
  21. Sep 15, 2017

golden_blunder Dreaming of a return to 4-4-2

Overrated when we bought him or just completely gone to pants since Vandaal coached him?
  22. Sep 15, 2017

We need an rvn Full Member

usually I try to keep an eye and ear on ex United players when they leave - completely forgot he played for us!
  23. Sep 15, 2017

Bojan11 Full Member

Probably overrated. I myself along with other people felt he was better than Wanyama. But the latter has done very well at Spurs. Whilst Schneiderlin just offers very little going both ways.
  24. Sep 15, 2017

12OunceEpilogue Full Member

I'm not sure. I only had half an eye on yesterday's debacle when it was already 3-0 so I don't know how he did or if he was even playing. He was an absolute passenger against Spurs though, typified by his dire attempt to track Kane for the third goal (essentially tiptoeing five feet behind him while he moved towards goal and smashed the ball into the net).

There's a YouTube video that tries to put a positive spin on his time at United that looks like literally every decent touch/tackle he ever made in a row. It's worth a watch if only to remind yourself that he a. played here and b. did some good stuff sometimes, because as suggested above he was the dictionary definition of 'passenger' when he was here. He definitely had something at Southampton (look at how excited we were to sign him and Basti), but it was painful to see his no-nonsense intercepting, tackling and passing disappear into nothing.

I thought Everton under Koeman looked a good move for him but from what I've seen he looks as insipid as he was for us. Whether Morgan can turn it round is up to him and the manager, but I think it's telling that when he's in a team that's playing well he looks decent but when his team is struggling he looks utterly powerless to turn it around.
  25. Sep 15, 2017

Classical Mechanic Full Member Scouse Lover

He's a confidence player who wasn't comfortable at a club with the expectations levels of United. Looks like he is struggling to regain his confidence too.
  26. Sep 15, 2017

Fortitude TV/Monitor Expert

I'd go as far as to say, like Moyes, the Manchester United Experience broke him and he'll never be the same again.
  27. Sep 15, 2017

Kapardin Full Member

He's just a shite player who fit in at Southampton but gets exposed now. Just a negative player overall. We did well in getting that fee for him.

Unfortunately, Koeman may drop him for our game, which is a shame 'cause him playing increases our chances of winning.
  28. Sep 15, 2017

LoneStar Full Member

Fantastic business by us selling him to Everton. Can't believe they bought both Rooney and Schneiderlin from us.

Also thanks for Fellaini :keano:
  29. Sep 15, 2017

Blind Full Member

The current Everton set up is doing him no favours, he was in decent form when he first joined in January, back when Everton didn't look utterly clueless and one paced. He seemed to be forging a good partnership with Gueye, who is comfortably the superior player, but they both like to press and unsettle the opposition which Everton haven't done at all so far this season.
  30. Sep 15, 2017

IrishRedDevil Full Member

The last two games he has been terrible in terms of tracking runners who have went through to score. Glad we got rid. I can't believe some people thought he was comparable to Matic a few years ago.
  31. Sep 15, 2017

Varun Moderator

What sort of a role do Everton use him in?
  32. Sep 15, 2017

OnlyTwoDaSilvas Gullible

In 14/15, he absolutely was comparable to Matic. They were the two standout DMs in the league. He was very good from the first season Southampton returned to the PL, and continually got better up until United signed him. He has definitely regressed massively somewhere along the line.
  33. Sep 15, 2017

I Believe everything Nigel Farage told me

DM who fancied himself as an attacking mid, lost confidence at OT, the in-out situation, thought perhaps he was going to Everton as an AM, now find Koeman wants him back as a DM. Hope he doesn't decide to restore his confidence against us on Sunday?
  34. Sep 15, 2017

cyberman Full Member Scouse Lover

Morgan was never a DM, it's clear as day Waynama carried that midfield to be honest.
  35. Sep 15, 2017

Acole9 Outstanding

Overheard an Everton fan talking about him this morning, he said all did last night was jog and walk about the pitch.
  36. Sep 15, 2017

Wednesday at Stoke Full Member

Supports:
    Time Travel
    Matic is too good to be bothered by high energy midfielders like Schneiderlin but we will miss Pogba's ability to shield the ball against physical players like him.
  37. Sep 15, 2017

Pace Abuser Full Member

I've never in my memory seen at player at OT that was so far away from the hype he had when we signed him.
  38. Sep 15, 2017

12OunceEpilogue Full Member

Basti? Memphis? Veron :)?

I get what you mean, I think I'd say the hype was more Schneiderlin + Basti + Carrick meant the midfield was finally sorted. As it turned out only an aging Carrick remained and after thinking we'd finally solved our CM problem were back pretty much at square one.
  39. Sep 15, 2017

Wednesday at Stoke Full Member

Supports:
    Time Travel
    TBF we'd cheer a trash can with legs if it was a central midfielder after the state of that position in the squad Fergie left with.
  40. Sep 15, 2017

RooneyLegend Full Member

Just like Kagawa we've broken him. He really hasn't been close to the player he was at Southampton.