Mou says no attackers needed. Do you agree?

Discussion in 'Transfer Forum' started by KingMinger22, Feb 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feb 12, 2018

KingMinger22 City >>> United. Moaning twat

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...jose-mourinho-no-summer-signing-a8193761.html

Jose says we will not be going after any attackers this summer now (rules our Griezmann?).

I personally think we need one more in the number 10 role. A world class goalscorer.

You look at the attacks of City, Barca, PSG and Madrid and I don't think we have the quality or depth close to them personally.

Sanchez is a super addition, of course. But he is our only player in attack that would possibly start (if him even) at any of those teams right now.
  2. Feb 12, 2018

SS Full Member

The fact we aren't getting one tells me we won't be sticking with a 4231.
  3. Feb 12, 2018

mynamejeff New Member

very much agree. it's the last place we need improvement right now.

i'm guessing we'll go for a CB, and CM over the summer
  4. Feb 12, 2018

BeforeKeanetherewasRobson Full Member

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
    They don't have an old fashioned CF up front though. While Benzema and Cavani are not exactly small, they still have decent technical ability..... Lukaku has a worse first touch than Frankenstein.

Martial, Rashford, Sanchez as a fluid front three.
  5. Feb 12, 2018

Damien Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin) Staff

Another attacker might give a short term boost but probably wouldn't work long term unless we change our tactics.

I think we'd be better served getting another midfielder in and either going three in midfield or putting Pogba at number 10 with two midfielders behind.
  6. Feb 12, 2018

sullydnl Ross Kemp's caf ID

If we sign a midfielder who shifts us permanently to a 4-3-3 then there probably isn't room for anyone else. Lukaku and Sanchez are nailed on, leaving the likes of Rashford, Martial, Lingard and Mata competing for that third position.

Might be different if we were sticking with a 4-2-3-1 though.
  7. Feb 12, 2018

Greck Full Member

How much do we need to spend for people to see a lot of our attacking problems goes beyond personnel? Sanchez didn't solve our problems like many thought so now we're looking for the next shiny toy that will.

The right wing is a need but we still need to fix our tactics
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  8. Feb 12, 2018

Massive Spanner Thinks Geoff Shreeves has one

Top midfielder and right back need to be the priority. Also maybe a left back, phase Young and Valencia out of the team.

Would still love if we got an actual right winger to play on the right wing, though, but I'm crazy like that.
  9. Feb 12, 2018

Valar Morghulis Full Member

Supports:
    BBW
    I think he's fecking crazy if he actually thinks we don't need a real right winger. None of our current personnel prefer playing out on the right wing and the only player that could be good enough to win a title for us playing there regularly would be Sanchez and even he's not as good out on that side.
  10. Feb 12, 2018

Keeps It tidy Hates Messi

I think we definitely need a Left Footed player who can play on the right for balance sake.
  11. Feb 12, 2018

Cee90 Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13

I almost feel that I'd be more excited if we signed another attacking coach, rather than an attacking player.

Whoever we sign will end up looking out of sorts anyway, our transfer strategy isn't the best.

An attacking coach who can somehow get us playing like a team would be great.
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  12. Feb 12, 2018

RedCurry Full Member

Yes I agree with that. We have the attackers. We need two new midfielders who are good enough to go straight into our starting lineup and cover for our fullbacks.
  13. Feb 12, 2018

R'hllor Full Member

Yes i agree, getting attackers is waste of time, we would still look clueless in final third.
  14. Feb 12, 2018

Ekeke Full Member

I think we have enough to be getting far more out of those players than we've been getting, but would still be a step behind City and some other teams even if all our attackers were playing at their best.

So the more urgent situation is gelling what we have. Because adding another expensive player and getting 30% of their ability isnt going to change much.
  15. Feb 12, 2018

Ban Full Member

How about wait some more to say if Sanchez worked?

On topic, we'd do well with a right winger, but 2 more players in midfield is a priority right now.
  16. Feb 12, 2018

el3mel Full Member

Yes.

Better than getting new attackers we should try to form a coherent attack from what we have. Think Mourinho have said the same too.

We only need additions to midfield and full backs. Let the remaining squad play with each other to develop some bond rather than continuous chopping.
  17. Feb 12, 2018

charlenefan Far less insightful than the other Charley

LOL we already have a left footed player playing on the right
  18. Feb 12, 2018

Adnan Twitter machine

He goes by the name of Tahith Chong.
  19. Feb 12, 2018

Greck Full Member

Who says he hasn't worked. Way to miss the point, that is, no single individual will transform a disjointed attack if we don't fix certain tactical aspects.

We went from expecting Pogba to fix our midfield to expecting Zlatan/Lukaku and now Sanchez to fix our attack. No single individual will fix our poor attacking cohesion.
  20. Feb 12, 2018

Swift Football Banned

I agree. We have good attacking players now, no point in going after another one, unless a world class talent like Mbappe, Bale becomes available.
    Or if somebody leaves the team, then we need replacement.
    For now, we should focus on creating ball playing backline and one more top midfielder.
  21. Feb 12, 2018

Sanche7 Full Member

The only attacker I would like to see us sign is Kane.
    But although I'm not a big fan of Lukaku, the guy is trying his best to improve his weaknesses, he seems to have become an important part of the group, so I would like to give him more time even though I don't see him becoming a top top striker.

But here is a question for you guys, since I can't start a thread, I'll ask it here.
    Suppose in a hypothetical situation, Kane becomes available in the summer, would you be willing to offer Lukaku + say 100 million for Kane?

Buying Kane would mean we will buy just another CM maybe, not to mention the effect on team chemistry and the attack may take more time to gel.But then again Kane is the or is close to becoming the best striker in the world
  22. Feb 12, 2018

R'hllor Full Member

Throw money at Perisic :drool: ;)
  23. Feb 12, 2018

Adnan Twitter machine

The attack is fine and I'm very hopeful Tahith Chong will provide the spark we have been missing on the RW. He can go either side which will give us even more variety in the attacking third along with fantastic pace, dribbling and a eye for a pass. The kid is the real deal as far as I'm concerned.
  24. Feb 12, 2018

Ban Full Member

Shhhhhhh.... :lol:
  25. Feb 12, 2018

Ban Full Member

Sorry then. As I said getting a new midfielder or 2 even would help a lot.
  26. Feb 12, 2018

Supports:
    BBW
    Too bad he won't get his game next year out on the right. I'd bet good money Mata or Ashley Young would be picked ahead of him if we had an injury crisis with Sanchez, Martial, Rashford and Lingard injured.
  27. Feb 12, 2018

LennonNL nipple flasher and door destroyer

Yeah I agree. We’ve got some brilliant forwards, just need a boot up their arse.
  28. Feb 12, 2018

Garethw scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW

Throwing more money at the attack is not going to help all the time Mourinho is in charge.
  29. Feb 12, 2018

Adnan Twitter machine

It would be very foolish to ignore such a precocious talent. Mourinho has been more open to giving youngsters minutes this season with Gomes even debuting. I hope Chong gets selected for the tour in the summer and I think he'll impress.

I've seen alot of people wanting Malcolm, Bailey etc but Chong imo has a higher ceiling.
  30. Feb 12, 2018

Supports:
    BBW
    I don't disagree with you but I'll only believe it when I see it. Gomes should have been on the bench against Newcastle when you consider Jose knew Herrera and Rashford were both injured. We need more flair and speed present in this squad, if Gomes and Chong are going to be allowed to provide it that would be brilliant. But I'm very doubtful about that.
  31. Feb 12, 2018

NoPace Full Member

Yeah. Someone like Griezmann still makes a lot of sense:

4-3-3:

-----Martial/Lukaku-----
    Sanchez---------Griezmann

4-2-3-1:

-------------Lukaku-----
    Martial---Griezmann--Sanchez

and then Rashford, Lingard and Mata as the subs/depth options.
  32. Feb 12, 2018

Adnan Twitter machine

I would have him on the bench against Huddersfield in the cup game but the u-23s have a game against Chelsea on Friday so that might be a problem.
  33. Feb 12, 2018

Pexbo has never watched Star Wars

Completely agree with him.

LF: Sanchez, Martial, Rashford
    RF: Sanchez, Martial, Mata
    ST: Lukaku, Rashford, Sanchez

AM: Lingard, Sanchez, Mata, Pogba

We have 6 players for the front 3, two of those can play in a fourth position centrally behind the striker with two other player an option in that position.

What we need is investment in the midfield so those players have more consistent supply from a midfield that dominates the game. A world class midfielder or someone just below that level to play with/instead of Matic and/or Pogba.

We also need to invest in the fullback positions. Valencia isn't going to go on forever and Shaw still has everything to prove.
  34. Feb 12, 2018

Hugh Jass Full Member

Would love a left footer on the right wing.
  35. Feb 12, 2018

settembrini Full Member

If we are going to switch to 4-3-3, which we probably should, then we have enough.

The issue ofc is that our right wing is weak. Hopefully Chong is being considered for promotion to the first team squad.
  36. Feb 12, 2018

Shane88 Actually Nostradamus

Sell Mata, sign a right winger.
  37. Feb 12, 2018

RedCoffee Rants that backfired

We need to stop buying players and focus on building some team spirit. The endless purchasing of high profile players over the last 5 years has got us no further forward. We need some serious stability. If we head into yet another window with 4 more targets I guarantee you we will be in a similar position this time next year.
  38. Feb 12, 2018

3KDré Full Member

There is no way he is ready, not at least for a season or two, can we wait that long?
  39. Feb 12, 2018

sincher "I will cry if Rooney leaves"

In recent games the main problem has very clearly been in midfield.
  40. Feb 12, 2018

Alexrad Full Member

Supports:
    Red Star Belgrade
    Not needed. What's needed is to stop with this notion of playing Pogba in midfield two and move him up the pitch/give him a free role and play Herrera or Fellaini alongside Matic. Few times this season we did that we looked breathtakingly good.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.