1. United Hour Podcast: The First Wobble
    Dismiss Notice

Mourinho : A Tactician or just a Motivator

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by f_to_z, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Aug 5, 2018

f_to_z Full Member

After watching United for 2 years now under Mourinho I still dont get what is our tactical strategy as a team. What style of play are we playing? It just looks so random, so individualistic, so incoherent. Im starting to believe what most people said before that Mourininho is not a good tactician rather just a motivator.

There is no attacking instructions what so ever. Each player just decides what he wants to do at any given moment. It is very difficult as a team to create goals scoring chances if there isnt a system to follow as a team.

You can see other teams playing with systems until they perfect it and start winning. We all know how City plays, we all can see how Tottengam plays and we can surely see how Liverpool and Arsenal play.

Im a United fan since before Fergie took hold of United and During all those years United had an identity. A style of play. A certain mentality. In the last years and specially now we lost all that. I understand Mourinho is a defensive coach but even defensive play needs a counter attacking system which I barely see. 20 minutes to go to a losing match and he cant find tactical solutions. He just subs and wishes for the best. I remember during Fergie era the least he would do is switch the wingers positions or even have 2 strikers in the box. Any instruction would surely change the match wether positively or negatively but worth a try since we are already losing.

Mourinho seems obsessed with keeping his defensive shape all match all the time even if we are down. Now im not all negative about Mourinho here. He is an upgrade from what we had, he has brought us back up in the league and champions league and also got us some great players. Im not even against his defensive style. Im just criticizing his tactical inflexibility, his inconsistent style of play and inability to be proactive during a losing score and find solutions.
  2. Aug 5, 2018

Fosu-Mens Full Member

Sit low, capitalize on mistakes from the opposition, counter attack. The first games last season in the prem is what a functioning Mourinho team looks like.

Mourinho leaves attacking play up to the "instinct" of the player. So yes, there are not many instructions or a plan on how to attack against a team in balance.

JM is very flexible on his defensive tactics, and how to "stop" the opposition. Regarding his attacking tactics, not much to say or say about.
  3. Aug 5, 2018

ivaldo Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

Ah good. A Jose thread.
  4. Aug 5, 2018

el3mel Full Member

Is that the new "Fergie is poor tactically but good motivator" version but about Mourinho this time ?
  5. Aug 5, 2018

charlenefan Far less insightful than the other Charley

There's literally nothing any United supporter can say about Mourinho (good or bad) that hasn't been said countless times already by a lot of others and yet here we are yet another Mourinho thread :rolleyes:
  6. Aug 5, 2018

settembrini Full Member

There's some thing I've seen posted before which is a breakdown of Mourinho's tactics and it's all about how he doesn't want his team to have the ball because the team with the ball can be make mistakes etc.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?
  7. Aug 5, 2018

AllezLesDiables Full Member

Need more of ‘em frankly, la.
  8. Aug 5, 2018

Janson Full Member

It wasn't so difficult for Robben, Drogba, Lampard, Ronaldo and so on.
  9. Aug 5, 2018

Janson Full Member

Another Mourinho moaning thread. I guess the match thread wasn't enough.
  10. Aug 5, 2018

Habs Full Member

Looks like he's neither at the moment
  11. Aug 5, 2018

simonhch Horrible boss

Supports:
    Urban Combat Preparedness
    He plays very entertaining football
  12. Aug 5, 2018

MaxiPaxi likes to shove his mum's boiled eggs up his rectum

:lol:
  13. Aug 5, 2018

extincti fugax hominum New Member

Yep. It was about Mourinho's approach to the big games which was written by Diego Torres’s biography about Mourinho :

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...o-game-of-chicken-manchester-united-tottenham

Was also discussed in here a couple of months ago :

http://www.redcafe.net/threads/jose-mouriniho’s-seven-point-plan-for-winning-big-games.436201/
  14. Aug 5, 2018

Minimalist Full Member

Mediocre Rowan Atkinson look-a-like.
  15. Aug 5, 2018

redIndianDevil Full Member

He has a tactic, sub in a tall lamp post and hoof everything at it, if it works it's a Mourinho masterclass, if not it's the fault of the players, the CEO, the tea lady and Guardiola who inherited good players.
  16. Aug 5, 2018

redIndianDevil Full Member

Also Mourinho has a new motivational technique of bigging up brainless, talentless workhorses in the public and throwing decent players under the bus in the public every chance he gets.
  17. Aug 5, 2018

Fooza New Member

He loves making enemies with everyone - apart from Fellaini, that's our Jose :drool:

I don't really know what he is anymore but the grumpy one.
  18. Aug 5, 2018

Santoryo ripping the reward

Why do some of you get all defensive whenever a Jose's thread is created?

What's this insecurity all about?
  19. Aug 5, 2018

20. Aug 5, 2018

MJJ Full Member

:lol: You guys have gone from defending mourinho to complaining about threads regarding mourinho. I wonder what's next.
  21. Aug 5, 2018

Another thread about Mourinho.
  22. Aug 5, 2018

arnie_ni Full Member

He's definitely not a motivator thats for sure. Motivators don't throw someome under the bus everytime they're in front of a microphone
  23. Aug 5, 2018

Jib Full Member

He was both until 2015. Since then, he's nothing but just a poor coach. Manchester United is the last big club for him. I can't see another top club looking for him...
  24. Aug 5, 2018

Jojo <3 Mou Full Member

Why not both?
    Either can be effective.
    Both would be best.
    :)
  25. Aug 5, 2018

ravelston Full Member

Apparently neither a motivator nor a tactician.
  26. Aug 5, 2018

.Rossi ever get that feeling of déjà vu?

Don't worry, only another 21 years to go until we win the league again
  27. Aug 5, 2018

abdo99 Full Member

At the moment he is neither. Not a tactician and certainly not a motivator.
  28. Aug 5, 2018

Crashoutcassius Full Member

He has a style and last season got us more points than United in the treble season with much tougher competition. His style is working well. Really well. Doesn't mean it's good to watch but this is what myself and 20 other people that watched mourinho before United said; it is boring but effective
  29. Aug 5, 2018

P-Nut fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho

http://www.goal.com/en/news/722/la-...explains-pep-guardiolas-secret-tactic-formula

Pep also works on a system of letting his players do what they want in the final third.
  30. Aug 5, 2018

Santoryo ripping the reward

Yeah, it's so weird. People aren't even allowed to create theads about Mourinho anymore because that lot might get offended for some odd reasons.
  31. Aug 5, 2018

Jojo <3 Mou Full Member

For me personally, I find it very tiring because the same things are being said over and over and over again. It's exhausting.

People have made up their minds and refuse to actually listen to anything that is contadictory to their position. I'm at the point where I find talking to these persons is futile. So, I'll be avoiding certain threads going forward.
  32. Aug 5, 2018

MaxiPaxi likes to shove his mum's boiled eggs up his rectum

I want old Jose. A guy made Materazzi break down in tears. He was a motivator and a tactition at one point. I'm sorry, I'm not sure why, but it's clear Jose isn't the same guy anymore.

Nothing against the guy, if fact I actually wanted him as a United manager but it's clear it's not the Jose we've all hoped for!
  33. Aug 5, 2018

Trizy Full Member

Isn't his attacking tactic to get the players to improvise? Look how that's working out. We've played loads of games where our players are clueless and look like they've never played with each other.

A well drilled team (Liverpool, City, Spurs) can produce fantastic football.
  34. Aug 5, 2018

breakout67 Full Member

Jose Mourinho does not suit massive clubs like Madrid and United. These clubs have an expectation from the fan base, media and players to dominate games with the ball. You will not get the right Jose Mourinho unless he is allowed to nick victories for most of the season.

That being said, he's done better than his predecessors, and it looks as if we have some sort of inherent problem at the club since LVG was much worse for United than any of his previous clubs.

I'm quite sure that the next manager will also look underwhelming and we will talk about how he is not good enough either. Our heirarchy is really messed up, we just aren't organised as a football club. We are great as a business but not on the footballing side.
  35. Aug 5, 2018

It's more than various amounts. When you open the caf and 15 of the threads on the first page are complaining about Mourinho it becomes a bit too much.
  36. Aug 5, 2018

Andersons Dietician Full Member

Supports:
    Supports good football
    They managed to close down an intresting thread the other day with all their complaints which were so stupid and showed they hadn’t even read the OP. All triggered by the title.

Subject matter at hand, currently no he is neither, i for the life of me can’t understand how he can’t see the flaws in his system right now and how he deploys players. You wouldn’t think this guy has broken records in leagues won the champions league and so on.
  37. Aug 5, 2018

Patrick08 Full Member

Because no total footballing teams existed in those days who just pressed high and closed the ball down as soon as the loose the possession and always insisted on playing in attacking half with defenders playing from the back.
  38. Aug 5, 2018

breakout67 Full Member

Should we be on the lookout for you as an up and coming coach? With such an insight into the game your talents shouldn't go to waste.
  39. Aug 5, 2018

Check a few points up. Someone has posted a link of Henry explaining how Pep literally does the same thing.
  40. Aug 5, 2018

They would have just bypassed the press by going long into Drogba.