Mourinho: Man Utd will challenge for the Premier League title next season

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by LawCharltonBest, May 19, 2017.

1. May 19, 2017

EyeInTheSky Full Member

I heard crouch is looking for a move?
  2. May 19, 2017

EyeInTheSky Full Member

You would be happy with never??

What's he supposed to fecking say.
  3. May 19, 2017

EyeInTheSky Full Member

No wonder our fecking forwards aren't scoring. If they did it basically means they are playing to get us CL so that they can get replaced :lol:

"Oh what a shame, just Missed yet another nice sitter there, looks like no CL again, feck off Antoine muhaaha"
  4. May 19, 2017

sunama Baghdad Bob

This is true.
    If we don't get close to winning the title next season, I think he'll be gone, considering the amount of money being spent.
  5. May 19, 2017

sunama Baghdad Bob

I doubt that we are buying M.Keane.
    It's the same story as, "we are going to buy Vlaar", when LVG was here. Vlaar was a terrible player and was never on our rader. Same applies to M.Keane.
    M.Keane has found his correct level, at Burnley and I expect his next move to be either sideways (to another team near the bottom of the league, or a Championship side).
  6. May 19, 2017

sunama Baghdad Bob

YES!!!!
  7. May 19, 2017

Lawman Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

3 cups 2 finals think that's quality
  8. May 19, 2017

VP89 likes to shower with phones

Skimming through against Anderlecht and Celta is not quality.
  9. May 19, 2017

UpWithRivers Full Member

The rule is jam in the league cup and jam in the Europa and maybe jam next year in the premier league and soon in champions league.

After 4 years I'll believe it when I see it.
  10. May 19, 2017

RedPed Full Member

Wrong!
  11. May 19, 2017

RedPed Full Member

Who cares?? 5 years from now the history books will tell a different story. I'd take a 1-0 with a shinner in the 97th minute in the final any day.

I'd rather have the two trophies this season than having played like Spurs and won nothing.
  12. May 19, 2017

goin4glory Full Member

What a joke this is. His entire history of management has been an incredible success and there's a clear example in the very recent past of him taking over an underperforming/transitioning side in Chelsea then turning them into league champions. You'd think United fans could draw some basic comparisons but no. After 1 season with that Chelsea side he knew exactly what they needed and recruited excellently in the summer bringing in Courtois/Costa/Fabregas etc United fans should be excited for the coming window and having a manager with a very clear idea of exactly what this squad needs. He will 100% win us a league title at a minimum.

So if Messi doesn't score for 2/3 games we write him off because only the present matters? What a load of nonsense.
  13. May 19, 2017

Zoo Full Member

Interesting considering he has also been strongly linked to Everton and Liverpool.
  14. May 19, 2017

JPRouve can't stop thinking about balls

No, it means that there is a hierarchy and the present or near past is a lot more important when you judge a player or a coach. But you probably understood it from the start.
  15. May 19, 2017

goin4glory Full Member

So why isn't Mourinho being judged on his near past? He won the league 2 seasons ago.
  16. May 19, 2017

minoo-utd New Member

I think a manager like Jose must be up there with the top and he always successful specially in his second season unfortunately his first season was like that but considering some of the players we have he now seen their limits and he knows exactly whom should not be here and who he must replace. If there is one manager to get us back to the top I think is Jose Mourinho, and imagine if we win the E.L this year it will be great for us.
  17. May 19, 2017

JPRouve can't stop thinking about balls

He is judged on his near past, which is why he is managing United and only a very limited amount of agenda driven posters are against him.
  18. May 19, 2017

Mister_Stubbs Full Member

A club this size with the resources we have we should be challenging for the league.

This statement reminds me a lot of Jose when he took over at Chelsea second time round, throughout the first season he was pretty downbeat about his chances of challenging for the league (despite not finishing that far behind City) and was constantly saying "next year, next year". A good summer transfer window is key, if we can get our targets nice and early and bed them in during pre-season then no reason why we can't hit the ground running like that Chelsea side that year did.
  19. May 19, 2017

Ashley R1+O New Member

I'm looking forward to it, bring it home Jose.
  20. May 19, 2017

Jed I. Knight The Mos Eisley Hillbilly

Good.

The bar's been set at the level we can all agree on, and there can be no excuses if we fall short.
  21. May 19, 2017

Walters_19_MuFc Full Member

We fecking better.
  22. May 19, 2017

Lawman Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

We have reached 1 final and won the other unlucky v Chelsea I'd say we have done very well in the cups.
  23. May 19, 2017

M Bison Full Member

Supports:
    York City
    It's not a joke at all. Mourinho's past 2 seasons in management have been disappointing. Obviously he's been successful in the past with other clubs, but based on what we've seen to date at OT there's nothing to say he will repeat that.

I hope he does and I hope you're right and he does win the league but he needs to show some major improvement next season, 6th in the league simply isn't good enough, especially given the money spent.
  24. May 19, 2017

PoTMS Full Member

Amen. I should hope so considering we'll throw another £200m at players this summer.
  25. May 19, 2017

Sied I..erm..love U2, baby?

Sounds like we've got an interesting summer window ahead of us if we'll be challenging by this time next year.
  26. May 19, 2017

strangeways Banned

He has a strange relationship with the press has Jose. No longer the special darling, he still gets better press coverage than Moyes and van gal. But he is often terse with them. He needs to copy fergie and tell the players the press are after them because he's never going to be the darling again.
  27. May 19, 2017

Cassidy Not to be confused with Cassady the Liverpool fan

Yup we come 6th again and dont challenge after spending another 150m and hes going to survive.... yeah
  28. May 19, 2017

Arruda Love is in the air, everywhere I look around

Supports:
    Porto
    Thread title brings back memories.

Boy did he deliver on those words :drool:

I hope he does it with you lot too.
  29. May 19, 2017

sammsky1 Full Member

So now we also have to break Pogba's world record fee for him to realise his full potential? Are there any excuses left?
  30. May 19, 2017

Theonas Full Member

True. That is not indicative of quality however, is it and the level of quality we have is the subject here. Liverpool won a bloody CL and history remembers it as such. Does it mean that 2005 team should have been trusted to do well in the future?
  31. May 19, 2017

TehRed Full Member

We'll struggle if we don't win the Europa League final.

If we win it, we go into next season with Champions League football, and I don't think anyone really expects us to go on and win the Champions League next season, so there's no real pressure to a certain extent. I think if we got out of the group stages and went out to a team the likes of Bayern, Real, Barca or Juve in the quarter finals, we'd all be reasonably happy with that for our first season beyond the group stage for a while. We'd have the ability to get the best kind of signings that Jose wants due to being able to offer Champions League football, and that will help us do well in the league as we'd have a higher-quality squad all around.

This season, we've been operating under huge pressure to do well in the Europa League for a while now, our league performances have suffered, and you can tell. There's also been the knock-on effect of the fixture pile-up, the injuries, the fatigue, and performances all around have suffered. The Europa League is our priority and yet we don't even look convincing there, when it does matter.

If we don't win the Europa League, we'll be back in it next year, with the same pressure to go on and win it again, and the same pressure to get top four as there always has been post-Fergie. It'll be pressure all around, another elongated fixture list, and we'll be lacking the top-tier targets that Jose surely has in mind. So the squad still won't be perfect, we'll still be under huge pressure to win on all fronts, there will be more questions about Jose. Arguably, the smarter thing to do, given this season's experiences, would be to abandon the Europa League early and focus solely on the league?
  32. May 19, 2017

Theonas Full Member

Of course we can challenge for the league next year. People always like to dramatise the level of difference as some sort of insurmountable gap. There is also the misleading narrative that in order to challenge for this league, you need to be a great team. The last great team to win the PL was us in 2009 if we are being totally honest.
  33. May 19, 2017

podurban2 Full Member

Great post. It's a huge game, really. If we lose I would focus solely on the league, as you proposed. Do "a Chelski".
  34. May 19, 2017

VP89 likes to shower with phones

I don't think either of you know what the original point was in my discussion.

My point was that Schweini could have been of good use for us in the odd season game, or coming off the bench, or in cup competitions.

Us bundling over Celta and Anderlecht doesn't change that.
  35. May 20, 2017

An Irish Red Full Member

It really depends on who we bring in. We'll get nowhere if we focus on mediocre British players like Keane and Dier. If we buy right though we'll challenge.
  36. May 20, 2017

Sammyjunn Full Member

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
    Highly doubt it, especially if the pragmatism and negative approach continues.
  37. May 20, 2017

Jed I. Knight The Mos Eisley Hillbilly

Speaking of great, you know what'd be great? Not coming in sixth!

Seriously though, almost thirty points behind is significant. You can look at it whichever way you want, other teams being great or not, but we're miles behind, and Mourinho needs to get it right next season.
  38. May 20, 2017

Theonas Full Member

Oh believe me, I think the season is nothing short of embarrassing and no amount of League Cups or Europa Leagues can make up for that fact. We spent 20 years claiming that the league table is the true indicator of quality and we were right. We can't change that just because it doesn't suit us anymore so I am in total agreement with you there. But no I think people always overestimate the gap. In order to win the PL all you need to do really is defend well through whatever means necessary (mainly putting men behind the ball in the PL) and finding one or two consistent goal sources (Hazard, Costa, Mahrez, Vardy, Van Persie, Agüero, ... etc). We are already not bad at all at the former which is why I believe the difference can actually simply be one or two players. Whether the difference is big or not is a matter of semantics, what matters is that the amount of improvement can be radical as there are many factor at play. Now if we are talking about being a truly great team, then I agree with you, that's a big task and is significantly more complicated than challenging for the PL.
  39. May 20, 2017

Gasolin Full Member

He's not a finisher, more a Rooney type of player and would need someone. It's an open question even for me. Maybe Sanchez if he's like to come here a la RVP... he would be the "solution".
  40. May 20, 2017

dichinero Full Member

He isn't going to say otherwise is he? Well challenge set then