Mourinho out to maintain second-season run of title victories

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Raoul, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Jul 15, 2017

Raoul Admin

No pressure at all......
  2. Jul 15, 2017

SwansonsTache incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover

Still feel it is one season too early for us.

We shouldn't underestimate the amount of damage done to us past Fergie with the two mopes we've had in charge. Also there is still a lot left to desire in our squad (wingers, lb, dm, competition for b2b etc.)

I wouldn't call it a failure next season if we only win a cup or two and compete for the title and achieve top 3. No way should winning the title be seen as a make or break thing for Mourinho.
  3. Jul 15, 2017

Raoul Admin

Its too early until suddenly it happens. All depends how we galvanize as a team.
  4. Jul 15, 2017

Raw Full Member

Can't see it happening personally. I'm happy with a genuine title challenge, and hopefully not a traditionally poor 3rd season under Jose.

Maybe Zlatan will come back in January and solidify our chances with his record of winning the title in every league he's played in?!
  5. Jul 15, 2017

Pexbo has never watched Star Wars

As things stand, I see Top 3 and Last 16 UCL with good domestic cup runs as acceptable progress.
  6. Jul 15, 2017

Attila Full Member

Supports:
    Trad Bricks
    Don't think we will win it, attacking areas still too weak
  7. Jul 15, 2017

RDCR07 Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)

I think we will make Quarters at the very least.
  8. Jul 15, 2017

Raw Full Member

Hard to say as it's very dependant on who we'd draw. We may end up getting Madrid or Bayern in the next round.
  9. Jul 15, 2017

Even if we win our group?
  10. Jul 15, 2017

pcaming Full Member

Think we lack match winners, Chelsea have Hazard, Spurs have Deli....pogba and someone has to step up for us if we are to have even a slight chance
  11. Jul 15, 2017

If they don't win their group...
  12. Jul 15, 2017

Cassidy Not to be confused with Cassady the Liverpool fan

Not gonna happen unless we make some unexpected signings.
  13. Jul 15, 2017

Just curious, when was the last time Madrid or Bayern or Barca didnt top their group?
  14. Jul 15, 2017

Raw Full Member

Well you never know, they could get drawn in a nasty group and finish 2nd. Didn't it happen to Arsenal last season?

Let's hope we don't fail horrendously in the groups like we did under LVG eh.
  15. Jul 15, 2017

AshRK Full Member

A good start to the season is mandatory. If we are at the top of the table after 10 games then yes anything can happen. But as of now it looks difficult for us to win the league. I won't mind a strong title challenge where we don't have to fight for the top 4. I can actually see us do well in champions league. The europa league campaign surely would have boosted the team and the knock out competitions could actually favour jose.
  16. Jul 15, 2017

Raw Full Member

Both Madrid (behind Dortmund) and Bayern (behind Atletico) finished 2nd in their groups last season actually!
  17. Jul 15, 2017

Bayern came second last season.
  18. Jul 15, 2017

ti vu Full Member

Getting burned hard there...
  19. Jul 15, 2017

Von Mistelroum Full Member

We're far too far off for that. Top four and a trophy would be great for where we are at present.
  20. Jul 15, 2017

MullerUtd Banned

Why is everyone so pessimistic about our chances of winning the title? The bookmakers have put us as the 2nd favourites, behind City for the title. It's Mourinho's second season and he ALWAYS win the title in his second season at any clubs, even in his return to Chelsea. We've strengthened our backline and added firepower, and I think we still have 1 or 2 more signings before the transfer window ends. Jose would also be so fired up, you would think that finishing behind his fiercest rivals Wenger and Guardiola, not to mention 27 points behind the team who sacked him would have him plotting a title challenge after our Europa win. I seriously do think we can challenge for the title this season but whether we would win it is anyone's guess.
  21. Jul 15, 2017

LawCharltonBest Obsessive dog poo sniffer & anal about tweets

If we manage to sign Alexis Sanchez, then United will genuinely challenge for the first time since Sir Alex.

We need a World Class attacking player of that Ilk. Griezmann was a huge loss.
  22. Jul 15, 2017

Just think if we get Sanchez this year and Griezmann the next :drool:
  23. Jul 15, 2017

Siorac Full Member

Because we finished 6th, 5th, 4th and 7th in the last four seasons and so far haven't significantly strengthened the team.
  24. Jul 15, 2017

Minimalist Full Member

I think all things considered that is what should be expected. At least a title challenge to the end.

I don't think it's particularly likely at this stage though. Not everything poor last season was down to inadequate players (no matter how much that nonsense is pushed), we haven't recruited massively so far and Mourinho has to be better this season.
  25. Jul 15, 2017

Rozay Not good at posting fixture lists

A squad doesn't need to be perfect to win the league.
  26. Jul 15, 2017

BusbyMalone Full Member

Depends on who we can sign before the window closes i think. A CDM is paramount in my opinion. Could be the difference between challenging and not. Whether it be Matic or Fabinho or maybe someone who hasn't been linked, it's of utmost importance.

Miki needs to improve on his consistency and a vast improvement form Martial would be nice. There's a contradiction between the heart and the mind. My heart says yes, it's Jose's second season and history would suggest a title, but my mind says we're going to come up short. Let's hope the heart wins out.
  27. Jul 15, 2017

LawCharltonBest Obsessive dog poo sniffer & anal about tweets

It sounds too much, but I think United need to do something like that. Barcelona for instance have Messi, Neymar and Suarez. United are huge, they should have the capability to have similar standard of players. Like Ronaldo, Tevez & Rooney in our last CL winning teàm.
  28. Jul 15, 2017

Damien Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)

I'm not sure most would see it that way. We've lost Zlatan and gained Lukaku. Defence wasn't our problem last season - finishing chances was. Hopefully our other attackers will chip in with more goals but right now, from our squad, the highest United scorer is Mata with 36 goals and he's not expected to be a starter.
  29. Jul 15, 2017

Paul_Scholes18 Full Member

We have a decent chance. I don't think we are complete, but neither is our rivals. We won 3 titles last season and hopefully we can build on it.

Let's look at the 5 title contenders and the chances.

1) Chelsea - The Champions from last season should probably remain the big favorites. This season though they will also play in Europe which could reduce the advantage they had last season. Conte will probably improve the defensive unit and they have a great winning mentality. So far though they lack a top striker since it look like Costa is going to leave them. I think they should be considered favorites, but I expect them to struggle more this season. I also think they could need improvements in midfield and on the wings for a long season.

Biggest Strength ) Winning mentality
    Biggest Weakness ) Striker position

2) Tottenham- They have been playing some excellent football last season and they have a very strong defensive unit. Seem to lack a bit of winning mentality though to get the titles. Having to play at Wembley will be a big disadvantage for them. Do think they will have a worse season although should be in with a good chance for the title. Spurs play very well as a unit. It is a strength, but when things get tight they may struggle as other teams nullify them.

Biggest Strength ) Very good at attacking and defending as a team
    Biggest Weakness ) lack of winning mentality

3 ) Man City- Have improved a very strong side. Guardiolas tactics though usually can be a bit narrow and can often fall short against certain types of tactics. The firepower they have going forward is very scary though. Aguero, Jesus, Silva (2x), De Bruyne, Sterling and Sane give them the best attacking options in the league. The defense look like it will be improved as well with Walker in particular. Should be in with a chance for the title, but can also see them fall short in the end.

Biggest Strength ) Creativity from attacking midfield
    Biggest Weakness ) narrow team philosophy that can get exposed

4 Liverpool- Having to play in europe will probably be hard for them and I don't think they should be in for the title. Still with some good signings they can keep making progress. They have very good attacking qualities and the level in the big games is usually very high from them.

Biggest Strength ) High intensity pressing
    Biggest Weakness ) Weak defending in their own half

5 Arsenal- Arsenal seem to be building and trying to improve the team. Despite not getting top 4 last season I think they are making progress. Can be a concern that player want to leave them. Seem to be wining more things now and maybe the failure to reach Champions league can help them make a push for the title.

Biggest Strength ) Good at breaking teams down and beating the weaker sides
    Biggest Weakness ) Can rely a bit too much on individuals and often fall short in the big games

Think we should be in with a good chance among these 5. I think what we should improve this season is the collective defending. Think we are going to be very hard to score against. Our weakness is our attack. Hopefully Lukaku will have a great season and lift it.
  30. Jul 15, 2017

MullerUtd Banned

Time flies! Can't believe it's been 4 years since we last won the title. :eek: think the longest we went without winning the title under SAF was 3 years max? I really do think we can go and win it this year, that's why we brought Jose in despite the negativity of his antics because he guarantees titles. If he doesn't deliver the title for us this season, or at the very least challenge for the title, I'd consider his 2017/2018 season with us to be a failure. This is not taking into account of how we do in the other competitions.
  31. Jul 15, 2017

Revan Full Member

Cannot see us competing as things stand. Our attack is still weak (I rate Ibra higher than Lukaku) and we have only 2 good midfielders in our team. I think that we need a new midfielder, a winger and hope that Martial has his breakthrough season in order to be able to win the title.

I think that City are probably the best team, followed by Chelsea. If City sign Sanchez, then they will easily win the title. An attack consisting of Sanchez, Aguero, De Bruyne and one of Silvas would be unstoppable.
  32. Jul 15, 2017

MaxiPaxi likes to shove his mum's boiled eggs up his rectum

Our season starts tonight imo. Good preparation. Sign a couple of players the manager wants. Of course a little luck will be needed but I feel we will have an excellent season.
  33. Jul 15, 2017

dichinero Full Member

Don't see it personally
  34. Jul 15, 2017

whatwha Full Member

Win the league with this squad? No way. Even if Lukaku is a big success he's not gonna replace all of Ibra's goals and add 20 more.
  35. Jul 15, 2017

MyOnlySolskjaer Creator of Player Performance threads

Squad just isn't strong enough to challenge. But I am saying this before we sign Bale and Busquets this summer.
  36. Jul 16, 2017

Raoul Admin

Leicester won the league after finishing 14th the previous season. Also, Chelsea won it last year after finishing 10th the previous year. Literally anything can happen and analyzing individual transfers isn't necessarily what galvanizes the team to punch above their weight. Its a mentality and coaching thing.
  37. Jul 16, 2017

Offside Euro 2016 sweepstake winner

It's possible as we have the base of being very hard to beat. But we still stink of a cup team to me and need a huge match-winner to be ready for the league. We'll have to wait and see anyway.
  38. Jul 16, 2017

DWelbz19 Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Chelsea finished 1st the year before that. Leicester is the very definition of exception to the rule and shouldn't be used as an example for anything.
  39. Jul 16, 2017

Siorac Full Member

That's not the best argument, considering they fired a certain José Mourinho to achieve that.

The Leicester argument is a bit pointless. Sure, West Ham or Huddersfield might win it; after all, Leicester did it! That doesn't mean we shouldn't even try to evaluate certain teams' chances based on their perceived quality. Anything CAN happen but some things are far more likely to happen than other things. Everton might win the league but Manchester City are far more likely to do so.

I think we either need spectacular signings or a massive improvement from existing squad members to be credible, serious title contenders. Since spectacular signings seem to be out of the question it probably has to be the latter.
  40. Jul 16, 2017

Jib New Member

If we build the team around him, maybe but definetly not in a midfield 2 !!